• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Alice: Through the Looking Glass (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alice: Through the Looking Glass (2016)
i was on the fence about getting the doll initially. the stock photos were doing nothing to convince me that i wanted this doll badly.

but then i looked at the high quality photos and decided to try for her. the sculpt of her face was one of the main things that i like about this doll, it actually looks like the actress. i was growing more and more excited even before i saw the movie. seeing it sealed the deal for me.

let me tell you, waiting for three hours sitting on the cold ground and your legs sprawled uncomfortably (also my shoulder was/is killing me) and seeing the manager come out with the dolls in her hand to show us and hand out cards... wow. i fell in love. she is extremely colorful and looks amazing in person. her costume is vibrant, her make up is on point and not shiny. some face paint jobs were spotty but that happens with dolls from what i could tell. also one of the boxes i was handed to inspect was ripped where it says "alice: 1 out of 4000" so just be careful with that if you are buying her in store.

embroidery is amazing. her hair is amazing. the box, especially if you take the outer cover off, is gorgeous.

<3

The Alice doll looks pretty nice. The only thing I don't like is that her eyelashes are black. They should have made them blonde, since Alice in the movie has fair eyelashes. I know that all the LE dolls have those black diva eyelashes, but I'm not a big fan of them.

I went to the Florida Mall this evening and they still had 4 red queen and 4 Alice. I only purchased the red queen since I don't really care for the Alice doll. I was surprised that the red queen was still available.

Alice is so prettyyyyyyyy those pictures make it so much harder to say no. I may buy the cheaper two pack of play line dolls because I really love that outfit.

I went to the Florida Mall this evening and they still had 4 red queen and 4 Alice. I only purchased the red queen since I don't really care for the Alice doll. I was surprised that the red queen was still available.

We only had three people in line at my store with 7 Red Queen Dolls and 6 Alice dolls. I really tried to like Alice, but I think she's just a little too pale for my liking, that and I hate the outfit! I really tried my hardest to like it on her, both while watching the movie and looking over the doll, but it just wasn't working for me! One of my friends said she likewise didn't like it, but bought Alice to complete the set anyway. If she was in her second outfit, from the end of the movie, I would have snapped her up in a heart beat, sadly that outfit is pared with the hatter for $750 so I won't be getting it! :cry: I did purchase the Red Queen though and she's absolutely stunning! :) <3

Last edited:
Now that the hype is over and no one is even talking about it, I for one want to say I LOVE the live action movie dolls and these were amazing to me. I didn't want to hype them up in this public forum (since scalpers are tempted enough to buy the rarer dolls to flip).

I managed to get all four dolls. The platinum set is my fave (purple Alice was until I saw her in person), and the red queen is my least fave--but I love her too.

The movie was fun and had a lot of great themes for me personally, but I think it needs multiple viewings to be appreciated. It was the wrong weekend to release it though. March would've been better.

When it comes to platinum dolls, you really need to stick with the ones you love at these annoying prices. I imagine the BatB ones next year (live action) will be even more expensive since this set was relatively simple. Nothing compares to the wedding Cinderella doll <3

I didn't want to get any of the dolls either, then I saw the movie, and I wanted them all. :D

I loved the end scene between Hatter and Alice so much I stayed online 45 minutes until my platinum set purchase went through. I was both happy and terrified that I spent that much money on dolls. But I am really obsessing about the movie right now and could not say no. :eek2:

I don't think they are terrible dolls by any means, but they are probably some of the weakest of the 17" releases for me and I just do not care for the Tim Burton version of Alice at all. But with that being said, I am glad that everyone here who wanted them got them and are happy with them. At the end of the day, that's all that matters :).

I for one am happy these aren't popular. It was mostly stress free (though the $1500 Canadian I spent is a different kind of stress), which I miss from the earlier days of collecting. The BatB movie next year won't be so easy.

I'm looking forward to all the little details on hatter. I love that he's wearing actual rings and has so many accessories. Plus we all know that these dolls never look good in pics.

I for one am happy these aren't popular. It was mostly stress free (though the $1500 Canadian I spent is a different kind of stress), which I miss from the earlier days of collecting. The BatB movie next year won't be so easy.

I'm looking forward to all the little details on hatter. I love that he's wearing actual rings and has so many accessories. Plus we all know that these dolls never look good in pics.

I'll be honest, even though the US website only got 150 of the platinum set, given the lukewarm reception and the high price tag, I almost expected the set to be available when I woke up for work around 6 am (ie, three hours after "launch"). Had it been available, I might have taken it as a sign from the Cosmos that I was meant to buy it. Not sure if that would have been the wisest choice for me, ha, but it would have been tempting--just because it's Alice and not because I'm suddenly convinced they're worth the $$$. If they had priced it at $500, I maybe would have caved in and woken up in the middle of the night to try. Now I'm just hoping I don't regret bypassing it once I see "real" photos from collectors. Or maybe all the sets that are already on eBay for double the price will just sit there and sit there and the sellers will eventually feel stupid and it will be possible to get a set on the secondary market at not much more than retail. In which case, I'll have this entire debate with myself again, ha ha ha. I'm happy enough with my Mandarin Alice and Red Queen, and I'm happy to know that at least one true collector got the platinum set--so congrats, Blaine! (And Amarian ... sorry, I'm behind on my reading, ha ha ha.)

Last edited:
Regardless of all the hate, I KNEW the set would sell out in moments. They lasted about two minutes longer than I expected, but it was lucky for me because I ran into issues checking out. I'm pretty sure most of the sets on the secondary market will sit there--unless the in person pics make them look so much better collectors change their minds. I for one can tell based on pics how good they're going to look (after years of practice translating the ugly blog pics lol)

$750 is still a lot so I doubt you'll regret your choice :)

However I'm SO SO SO excited--I hope it's okay to say that <3

Regardless of all the hate, I KNEW the set would sell out in moments. They lasted about two minutes longer than I expected, but it was lucky for me because I ran into issues checking out. I'm pretty sure most of the sets on the secondary market will sit there--unless the in person pics make them look so much better collectors change their minds. I for one can tell based on pics how good they're going to look (after years of practice translating the ugly blog pics lol)

$750 is still a lot so I doubt you'll regret your choice :)

However I'm SO SO SO excited--I hope it's okay to say that <3

100% allowed. Plus, I'm expecting you to be one of the collectors who posts the purty pix that will make me wonder if I shoulda ... Ha ha ha.

Of course it's okay, I have to agree with Addicted to Alice Pins. I'm looking forward to your great photos. :)

Now that the hype is over and no one is even talking about it, I for one want to say I LOVE the live action movie dolls and these were amazing to me. I didn't want to hype them up in this public forum (since scalpers are tempted enough to buy the rarer dolls to flip).

I managed to get all four dolls. The platinum set is my fave (purple Alice was until I saw her in person), and the red queen is my least fave--but I love her too.

The movie was fun and had a lot of great themes for me personally, but I think it needs multiple viewings to be appreciated. It was the wrong weekend to release it though. March would've been better.

When it comes to platinum dolls, you really need to stick with the ones you love at these annoying prices. I imagine the BatB ones next year (live action) will be even more expensive since this set was relatively simple. Nothing compares to the wedding Cinderella doll <3

glad you got all the dolls! can't wait to see your photos.

i think there was a lot of hype for merchandising for this film. the collaborations with different companies like sephora and call it spring as well as the general hype that seems to surround this film before reviewers gave it a so so rating. nothing you can really do about that. scalpers will be scalpers. although by the looks of it so far (and this is just a generalization from what i've seen), ebay is not getting too too flooded with alices like with cinderella.

yeah definitely agree with what you said about sticking with the ones you love. i think the reason why i passed on this set was because i couldn't get over hatter's face mold. :c it just throws me off.

and i already spent so much money on other collectibles that i couldn't justify getting this set also. i hope to possibly get it further down the line to complete my set of alices. there is a new listing on ebay of the set and i'm still not really tempted to buy it apart from alice. i do agree, the details are exquisite. C:

<3

Hm,, interesting that there aren't that many sets on eBay--yet. The truth is, if a lot of the sets ended up with collectors instead of scalpers, they'll become really hard to get a hold of later, which will affect the value. I imagine once these start going above retail, market will become flooded (I think that was the problem with platinum Cinderella: collectors were seeing she went so high and decided to part with her instead).

Anyway, here are some pics of my Looking Glass dolls. I'll share more when the platinum set arrives.

Alice Through the Looking Glass limited edition dolls by Blaine Marshall, on Flickr

Alice Through the Looking Glass limited edition dolls by Blaine Marshall, on Flickr

Once they've settled in, I'll enhance them with some Swarovski crystals.

Congrats on getting the platinum set! :)

I got the Queen on Monday, but passed on Alice as I wasn't completely sure about her. But then I went back to the Disney Store today and they still had a couple of dolls left, and well, I ended up walking out with Alice anyway! LOL

She's kind of growing on me now. I don't think the doll is really as bad as everyone has been saying. It does look like the actress, and the colors and the embroidery on the jacket are quite pretty. She's not my favorite and the doll doesn't resonate with me as say my live action Cinderella dolls do, but I like her enough that I'm glad I got her.

I'm going to see the movie tomorrow, although I am not expecting too much based on the unfortunate reviews it's gotten.

Last edited:
It sounds like a lot of dolls are still left over. I've heard a lot of stores still have them in stock, including my local store... And they're still available online as well.

Hoping they last long enough to be clearanced so I can get Alice at a lower price lol. :daisy:

It sounds like a lot of dolls are still left over. I've heard a lot of stores still have them in stock, including my local store... And they're still available online as well.

Hoping they last long enough to be clearanced so I can get Alice at a lower price lol. :daisy:

I was hoping the Looking Glass LE pins would eventually be marked down, but they are still retail price after a month.

amm3, I have to say it's hard not to let in all the hate from the critics. I left the theatre totally in love and then read up on the reviews. All that love faded until I stepped back and remembered everything that resonated with me while I was watching.

It's amazing--and sad--what an impact cynicism can have. Try to go into it with an open mind and to be entertained. There really is a lot to love about the movie. It's definitely a far cry from Lewis Carol's Wonderland, though, I'll give it that.

staykawaii, do LE dolls ever go on sale? I know for sure the Merida and Eleanor set never did and they took MONTHS to sell. I can't remember if prince Phillip did or not, but he was probably about as slow a seller as Brave.

I'm just waiting for the OE merch to go on sale! Or st least another F&F day. I want most of the collection but I'm too broke after this LE release :(

amm3, I have to say it's hard not to let in all the hate from the critics. I left the theatre totally in love and then read up on the reviews. All that love faded until I stepped back and remembered everything that resonated with me while I was watching.

It's amazing--and sad--what an impact cynicism can have. Try to go into it with an open mind and to be entertained. There really is a lot to love about the movie. It's definitely a far cry from Lewis Carol's Wonderland, though, I'll give it that.

My two cents is ... if you go in with low expectations, you might enjoy it more. I was AMPED about this movie, because I ended up loving the storyline and character development of the first LA Alice. Alice's growth in that movie resonated with me and seemed true to the character. So last Friday, when my office closed early for the holiday weekend, I grabbed my BFF (who also loved AiW) and went to the earliest show I could make. And ... it was fine. I wouldn't say awful, but I didn't love it on first viewing. I may go again to analyze it more, and that may help. For me, I had less of a problem with it deviating from Carroll than I had with the film editing. I think the core story was solid/interesting, I just don't think they did a great job executing it. Way more "action" and effects, way less character development. That said, though, there were plenty of things I liked about it. So I would give it a chance. I did read the novelization (#junkie) and the story was much more coherent and developed than what I saw on screen--for anyone who wants to flesh out the plot before or after watching the movie, I'd recommend it. It is highly possible that I was SO EXCITED about this movie that the finished product was bound to disappoint me in some way. I had very high expectations, and that just never works out, ha.

Last edited:
Yeah, I avoid reviews and spoilers before seeing movies and reading books, because I like making my own judgements. And I do have criticisms for Looking Glass, some of them pretty big, but I still enjoyed going out and seeing the movie, and the people I saw it with lked it.

Turns out that I am actually going to see the movie tomorrow. My friends love the first Alice film by Tim Burton, and they haven't seen it yet and want me to watch it with them. I have such a strong dislike for the first film that I had no intention of watching it, but i'll give it a chance seeing they really want me to go. Plus we are also going to watch it at the Movie Tavern, where you can eat a meal while watching the movie, so that part has me pretty excited seeing ive never been there before.

As for all the left over dolls, I don't expect them to sell out anytime soon. The film did not do well at the box office at all on opening weekend, and there wasn't a ton of hype for the film to begin with. Many different stores still have them in stock and they are still on the website, so anyone who wants to save up some money first will probably still be able to get them in store for their retail price for the next few weeks at least. I think Disney anticipated that they wouldn't sell out nearly as fast as previous dolls anyways.

EDIT: I would love it if that alarm clock would go on sale. Its so pretty and I have been really debating on buying it.

Last edited:
I loved the movie it had some flaws but I liked it and enjoyed it much better than the first live action Alice. If it weren't summer and multiple films coming out each week for me to see( I am a film buff and love films and reviewing them on my site) I would gladly see it again! I am for sure buying the blu ray. As for the dolls there was only one other person in line when I went to get them. I love noth dolls and I am glad I got them. Beauty and the Beast next year and the July pre order for belle is not going to be so easy but I will be there to get them. These dolls can be addicting

I actually really liked this movie, I hated the first one, I really disliked it strongly! But this? Yes, it clearly isn't about the original books or the animated movie, but I liked it anyway! I empathized with the characters and I liked the plot! (it's not like the best plot ever and it sure isn't something we've never seen but it works and I enjoyed it)
I'll probably get at least one of them or both Alice and the Red Queen, idk! I'll wait to see them in person on the 14th! I don't think I'll get the Platinum Set, just because of the price, I'm curious to see some real life photos tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back