• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Art of Aurora DS EU 31 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Art of Aurora DS EU 31 July
I didn't order this pin as I don't collect SB and for the price tag I could buy keepers and mini grails for my collection. That said...

I think it's a fabulous pin! The 'sharpie' looks isn't an error to me, it is the art style they were emulating. I go to Comic Con and love art/comics etc. (especially conceptual art) so the more chibi style is something I don't mind and actually enjoy.

I do agree, for peope wanting a classic Aurora pin this is not it. It does not have the long sharp angles of the final animation everyone is familiar with not the color scheme since this was based off of concept art and not final art. With Ariel they just chose concept art that more closely mirrored the end product of the film. But for people who really enjoy conceptual art that pre-dates production I think this pin will really appeal to them. Or anyone who likes more 'cute' styles.

As far as it being a strong trader, I definitely think it will rise in value and still be a very collectible coveted pin! Maybe not to the degree of Art of Ariel since that has more mass appeal, but the layered affect they did is gorgeous and I for one would be honored to have it bid in any auction I ever host :) I think it will hold its own against some of the DSF releases we are seeing with the obvious glaring snowy exceptions. There is also lots of appeal outside of the forum that isn't represented here I'd wager.

The one thing I will admit I don't like about the pin is her lips, there is this weird thing at the top and I have no idea what it up with it, but besides that, I have to admit I really do like the pin.

I think that's supposed to indicate the bottom of her nose?
I don't think that many people realize that this pin is based on a contemporary retro style art piece. It's in that "Art of Disney Princess" book (or whatever it's called) I think it is in the style of old storybook illustrations / Mary Blair concept art. It's definitely not from actual concept art done for the film. Interesting how divided people are on it!

I received the pin today & completely agree with PersinettePins. The 'sharpie' look on the eyes is part of a somewhat naive art concept and really recreates an 'early proofs of a character/idea' feel. I love the idea and that they went for something different than the Art of Ariel (which I am even more desperate to find now lol). In the end, it's beautiffully realized and the effects on the background look amazing imho.

It will be interesting to see what direction the popularity of this pin will go. It very well may be one of those pins that you have to see in person to be able to truly judge it.

I'm gonna sell an Art of Aurora and I'm also considering selling Art of Ariel. Will post a Thread when I do, but you're welcome to message me :)

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro2_214 using Tapatalk

So Disney screwed up in some way or another. I ordered an Aurora for my collection and one to trade. Both orders were processed and I received shipment confirmations for both. The tracking numbers for Disney never work so I didn't really pay attention to it. I did, however, when one pin arrived and the other didn't. I emailed them saying it was taking longer than usual and they replied "we're waiting on information from our courier".

From then on, no reply, and the money for one Aurora has been refunded on our VISA. No reply, no explanation. Weird *** Store. And, of course, they don't reply. So they either lied about shipping it or the courier screwed up in some way. I expect the first, knowing DS.

So Disney screwed up in some way or another. I ordered an Aurora for my collection and one to trade. Both orders were processed and I received shipment confirmations for both. The tracking numbers for Disney never work so I didn't really pay attention to it. I did, however, when one pin arrived and the other didn't. I emailed them saying it was taking longer than usual and they replied "we're waiting on information from our courier".

From then on, no reply, and the money for one Aurora has been refunded on our VISA. No reply, no explanation. Weird *** Store. And, of course, they don't reply. So they either lied about shipping it or the courier screwed up in some way. I expect the first, knowing DS.

Yeah, that's awful. They at least could've said they were out of stock. But why let you order two then on the day and take so long? DS really need to up their game.

I got my pin. :) i agree with the others, I think she's beautiful. A little too pricey, yes, but this is the first thing I have of Aurora in her blue dress so I'm happy. :)

I'm sorry to hear this Olafolaf I don't like this pin at all I don't think it will make a fantastic trader compared to ariel one with all the things they didn't get right with it

Thanks, I'm lucky I was able to buy the extra from a friend, though! I owe him. :D

I think people are comparing it with Ariel too much. On its own, Aurora is a gorgeous pin and the box just looks really nice too. I heard it's a high quality. I think it's a must-have for any Aurora collector or people who just love pretty things. It's hard to say whether it'll be a good trader so close to its release. I always say "the longer you wait, the more people will have traded theirs and the more rare it'll become".

Guys, poor Aurora is sad with the bashing she's taking. Least that's what she told me after sitting patiently up on my pin board all day waiting for me to come home and look at her and all my other lovely pins. I traded this pin with a friend lucky enough to get one and I absolutely love her. I promptly went and bought the lithographs to match her up on my wall and am currently framing them in beautiful gold frames :wavey: So she's much more beautiful in person. The background is metallic an really has a lot of movement, the pin manages to be beautifully finished yet preserves it's raw early stage concept art of Aurora. I love Steve Thompson's work and this pin really keeps the 'artist thinking whilst drawing' feeling very alive. As an artist it's beautiful to see an artist's thought process come to life in a piece of early artwork polished and presented in this way. It's raw and fresh at the same time :)
#justsayin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back