• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Do you consider this a new Frozen pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you consider this a new Frozen pin?

ethanwa

New DPF Member
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There has been some discussion on some Facebook groups about whether this is an official Frozen pin or not:

http://www.disneypinplace.com/pin/PD101956/

Does it belong in a Frozen collection? Or is it just a snowflake with hidden Mickey's on it?

MY OPINION: Personally, I think it's part of the Frozen collection. With the backer card having Olaf and having the Frozen logo, I think that is official enough for me, even though the pin isn't obvious. Here's the question that I think about.... would Disney have made that pin, with it's design and colors like that, if Frozen didn't exist? Probably not. They would have done something else, and if it was a snowflake it would have made it more bold with a different design and color palette. It is the way it is because of Frozen. Therefore it's a Frozen pin.

Discuss!

Last edited:
I disagree with your premise that this is a "Frozen" snowflake in terms of design and colors- Elsa has a very specific snowflake design, they talk about it in the Art of Frozen book... if they were going to do a Frozen snowflake, it should be THE Frozen snowflake- not some random snowflake with hidden mickey's thrown all over it. It'd be like if they stuck a random sun design pin on a Pascal backer card and tried calling it a Tangled pin, even though it wasn't the specific sun design we see several times in Tangled.That being said, I have no delusions or even desire of being a Frozen completist, so it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other whether this counts as a Frozen pin or not. I do think it's a nice snowflake pin though!

If some of the wacko Rapunzel collectors think that stupid Classic pin (the framed set with the pin with a picture of a pin in it) makes it a Tangled pin, then this new pin is most definitely a Frozen pin.

To me, the pin is on a Frozen backer, but it is not a Frozen pin. While the pin is being given out with a promotional Frozen backer, the pin itself carries no relation to Frozen whatsoever beyond being a snowflake but there are countless snowflake Disney pins in existence that have nothing to do with Frozen. If a person views it as a Frozen pin and needs it to be a completionist, that's fine by me, more power to them, but I would not personally need it IF I was even a Frozen completionst...which thankfully, I am not :)

Does that mean the backer cards on Pin 94015: JDS: My Smile, My Disney Store 20th Anniversary Gold Medallion Pin (Box Set) and Pin 93618: JDS: Mickey Mouse & Mocha Bear Framed mean they belong in the collection of any Tangled completists? Personally, I think we should just the pin on the basis of the pin itself, not it's backer card. If you removed this pin from it's card, is there anything about it that identifies it as Frozen? No, because it's not Elsa's snowflake.

Again, just my opinion:

Here are some items from my own collection of Ratatouille pins that don't fit the bill 100% when it comes to what the movie or art book would say, but Disney still made them Ratatouille pins:

http://www.disneypinplace.com/pin/PD78153/ - Remy is holding a Mickey popsicle (random Mickey included in a Ratatouille pin)

http://www.disneypinplace.com/pin/PD73931/ - Remy at the movies (scene that never happened in the movie)

http://www.disneypinplace.com/pin/PD67290/ - Stylized i to look like a rat with a chef's hat (like a snowflake to represent Frozen)

http://www.disneypinplace.com/pin/PD50730/ - A misspelling on a word

My point is, in Disney, the right hand doesn't always talk to the left. I guess what I am trying to say is that the INTENTION from Disney is that this is a Frozen pin (see the backer card?) therefore it IS a Frozen pin. It doesn't really matter what we think... it's what Disney thinks and intended.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the INTENTION from Disney is that this is a Frozen pin (see the backer card?) therefore it IS a Frozen pin. It doesn't really matter what we think... it's what Disney thinks and intended.

The above makes perfect sense to me.

Does that mean the backer cards on Pin 94015: JDS: My Smile, My Disney Store 20th Anniversary Gold Medallion Pin (Box Set) and Pin 93618: JDS: Mickey Mouse & Mocha Bear Framed mean they belong in the collection of any Tangled completists? Personally, I think we should just the pin on the basis of the pin itself, not it's backer card. If you removed this pin from it's card, is there anything about it that identifies it as Frozen? No, because it's not Elsa's snowflake.

100% Agree <3

Again, just my opinion:

Here are some items from my own collection of Ratatouille pins that don't fit the bill 100% when it comes to what the movie or art book would say, but Disney still made them Ratatouille pins:

http://www.disneypinplace.com/pin/PD78153/ - Remy is holding a Mickey popsicle (random Mickey included in a Ratatouille pin)

http://www.disneypinplace.com/pin/PD73931/ - Remy at the movies (scene that never happened in the movie)

http://www.disneypinplace.com/pin/PD67290/ - Stylized i to look like a rat with a chef's hat (like a snowflake to represent Frozen)

http://www.disneypinplace.com/pin/PD50730/ - A misspelling on a word

My point is, in Disney, the right hand doesn't always talk to the left. I guess what I am trying to say is that the INTENTION from Disney is that this is a Frozen pin (see the backer card?) therefore it IS a Frozen pin. It doesn't really matter what we think... it's what Disney thinks and intended.

I don't think any of these examples work in this argument though. Those are ratatoullie pins because they actually feature characters or elements from the movie. NO ONE would not agree with that. The pins might not make exact sense or be exact images from the movie, or maybe they commemorate an even with a character out of place, but you can still tell it's a ratatoullie pin.

With the snowflake it's just a hidden mickey snowflake pin. It looks like it belongs in a series with the hidden mickey wreath pin. NOTHING ABOUT THIS PIN SAYS FROZEN. It is generic. Just a snowflake pin.

If some of the wacko Rapunzel collectors think that stupid Classic pin (the framed set with the pin with a picture of a pin in it) makes it a Tangled pin, then this new pin is most definitely a Frozen pin.

But that still has Punzel on it. This doesn't have an image or inclination of what character or movie it belongs to. It's a Disney Snowflake.

100% Agree <3

I don't think any of these examples work in this argument though. Those are ratatoullie pins because they actually feature characters or elements from the movie. NO ONE would not agree with that. The pins might not make exact sense or be exact images from the movie, or maybe they commemorate an even with a character out of place, but you can still tell it's a ratatoullie pin.

With the snowflake it's just a hidden mickey snowflake pin. It looks like it belongs in a series with the hidden mickey wreath pin. NOTHING ABOUT THIS PIN SAYS FROZEN. It is generic. Just a snowflake pin.

But that still has Punzel on it. This doesn't have an image or inclination of what character or movie it belongs to. It's a Disney Snowflake.

The Rapunzel pin had a picture of a pin on it! If something that stupid is considered a pin, them definitely the snowflake is a Frozen pin.

Can someone post a picture of the pin with a pin? I'm curious now.

It is this pin:
2etupydy.jpg

That has a pic of this pin;
5uvyjy3e.jpg

I think it needs to be considered a Frozen pin because of the intent. Otherwise you're opening the door for any pin that might look slightly generic to not be associated with a movie. Think of all the shells and starfish that are considered Little Mermaid pins or the roses that are part of Beauty and the Beast.

It is awesome to see all the different viewpoints in regards to this pin. I can totally see the view from both sides. As a Frozen pin collector, I decided to collect Frozen pins, because it represents my love for the movie, its characters, its theme, and its overall awesomeness.

So I am usually a lurker within these threads, but I wanted to post my perspective. I am not giving my view on this as a "completist," but as a collector. If I put this pin in my Frozen shadowbox w/o the card, I feel that it would not evoke the same feeling that the movie portrayed or how the other Frozen pins portray. I think the reason is that I feel like it utilizes too much of the hidden mickey shapes (icons) in it... I counted ten.

I am just curious to know if there are any other pins that utilizes that many hidden mickey shapes in one pin?

Anyway, thank-you for this thought-provoking thread! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back