• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Do you consider this a new Frozen pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you consider this a new Frozen pin?
I think it needs to be considered a Frozen pin because of the intent. Otherwise you're opening the door for any pin that might look slightly generic to not be associated with a movie. Think of all the shells and starfish that are considered Little Mermaid pins or the roses that are part of Beauty and the Beast.

Intent =/= CONTENT.

The reason those BatB roses or TLM starfish are considered such are because:
The shape defines the piece. We KNOW what Beast's rose looks like, we know what the starfish and the special flower from Ariel's hair looks like, if they are stylized but still in that shape then it belongs to that movie because THE GENERAL PUBLIC WILL RECONIZE IT. IT IS ICONIC.

pin40599
This snowflake is iconic, it comes from NBC. It's FROM the movie and people reconize it. If you didn't reconize it then you could make a pretty good guess.

pin88528
What movie is this from? Do you know?
pin58310
How about this one?
$_12.JPG
This one?
$(KGrHqNHJE4E88eURyqvBPVe4rQFIw~~60_3.JPG

PD101956-front.jpg

This is pretty much how I view it. While I don't even classify the Classic pin as a "true" Rapunzel pin, I can at least understand why it is considered a Rapunzel pin considering it has the title princess on the pin. This pin (key word, pin) has nothing relating to Frozen on it besides being a snowflake. To that extent, any snowflake pin is now a Frozen pin and heck, any snow-related pin is a Frozen pin too, even those that came out years ago.

That's just my opinion, if someone thinks it's Frozen and needs it to be a completionist, who am I to disagree, it's just that IF I were a Frozen completionist, I would not want it (at least for anything over $10).

I do however agree with this. I say it's not. I would never pay a stupid amount for a pin that doesn't bear a good representation or REAL symbol from the movie I was collecting.

But you may, and I don't hold anyyyyything against you. You like what you like so there.

It doesnt look like Frozen at all. Thats not even Elsa's snowflake!! So, no, I dont consider it a Frozen pin.

One thing to keep in mind is that Disney does not play well with others, sometimes including one division working with another division. Many pins are now contracted out, and not designed internally. Considering this pin would have had to be designed and manufactured prior to the release of the movie, the Studio may have not been willing to share images with some pin contractor. But if they wanted something related to Frozen, they could have possibly been forced into making what we would call a "fantasy pin." To some it would seem strange that Disney would have to do such a thing, but anyone familiar with the spats different divisions can get themselves into, it wouldn't. And if one were to systematically research all the Frozen products, and the snowflakes used on those items, I think one would quickly find there is no "Frozen/Elsa" snowflake. That many of the items just use generic snowflakes in conjunction with some more identifiable Frozen image.

The "packaging" of this pin is clearly Frozen. It shows Olaf, and the movie logo. If this is not meant to be a Frozen synergistic item, they would have not included those items. Once upon a time, Disney's marketing machine would have been cranked up so high that they could have had a cereal promotion with a box of a common cereal, but the box would have a character on it, and many collectors would have no problem accepting that cereal box as an item for their movie, even if the inside was just your common Cheerios or Rice Krispies. I have the Kellogg's Cornflakes Beauty and the Beast box, for example.

It is perfectly acceptable for someone to limit their collection to a subset of what is available, using whatever qualifications they want, but if someone is creating a definitive list of Frozen items, they would have to include the packaging for this product and by extension many would also need to include what was included with the packaging.

Last edited:
Intent =/= CONTENT.

The reason those BatB roses or TLM starfish are considered such are because:
The shape defines the piece. We KNOW what Beast's rose looks like, we know what the starfish and the special flower from Ariel's hair looks like, if they are stylized but still in that shape then it belongs to that movie because THE GENERAL PUBLIC WILL RECONIZE IT. IT IS ICONIC.

pin40599
This snowflake is iconic, it comes from NBC. It's FROM the movie and people reconize it. If you didn't reconize it then you could make a pretty good guess.

I've only NBC once and don't know much about it besides the basic story, characters, and whatever else I've learned from riding Haunted Mansion around Halloween. I don't recognize that pin at all. Before I read you comment, I thought it was a Spider-Man pin and that it was a spider web not a snowflake. I accept that it is from NBC because it was intended to be a NBC pin.

I accept these as BatB pins (well one is a button) even though the art style of each one is different and a few of them don't look at all like the rose looks in the film.
PD11073-front.jpg

PD101560-front.jpg

PD65390-front.jpg

PD22034-front.jpg

Whoever designed the Cross U pin didn't just randomly choose a snowflake and then completely by chance put it on a Frozen backer. They were clearly implying that Frozen was the inspiration for the pin.

WooHoo, I may have a lead. I forgot my best friend Rob's nephew is in management at WDW. he got his Peter Pan cross u pin through his nephew. He is calling him tonight for me. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

WooHoo, I may have a lead. I forgot my best friend Rob's nephew is in management at WDW. he got his Peter Pan cross u pin through his nephew. He is calling him tonight for me. Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

But I thought you didnt even consider it a Frozen pin? If I got one, I'd trade it for a true Frozen pin.

I didn't, but everyone is saying that it is. IF I get it, it will go in my shadow box as a snowflake falling. If he can't get it, no big deal. I sat and contemplated, how I could get it and then I remembered my friends nephew. I have all the other Frozen pins to date except the LE 600 Paris pin and I have a couple of leads on that one.

It is cute, but definitely not worth the cost it is selling for on the bay. If I can get it, great. If not I'm still considering myself a completist with out it. It's only a snowflake. And by next year they will sell cheaper. It's just the hype right now.

I'm an adult and I happened to love the movie. A completist is someone that collects every pin that has to do with the movie. So far I am with a phone call that I'm getting the snow flake pin.
I stated it before, is it as good as Tangled? Absolutely Not, but they are two different movies entirely.
Rasputin had a good point. It starts out with the ice choppers/Pickers.
Where Kristoff is a small boy. What happened to his parents? Why was he raised by trolls? There could have been more to this movie.
But this is not what this thread was about and belongs in the review and discussion thread.
This thread was whether the snow flake pin is a Frozen pin or not?

Last edited:
Carissa that is clearly not a heartfelt "thank you" so you can keep it. You want to talk about drumming up attention and what not? That is what this thread is doing exactly. What the heck is a completist anyway? If you need to have every single pin from a specific movie or theme just to have it than you've completely missed the concept of the hobby imo. These are not just pins...they're extensions of the movies we all love and ways for artists to envision them.

I don't even care for the entire Tangle-Frozen debate...I can name several other Disney movies I feel are much better. I can totally see why children like the movie though...it's colorful and simple and the graphics are great...Elsa's transformation is amazing, but without her the movie would have been plain awful.

If I need to be absolutely technical, I don't think this is a Frozen pin anymore than it's a plain Winter-themed pin. Olaf being made of snow seems like a pretty good fit for a snowflake/winter pin, however, if this was Frozen than I'd think Elsa should have been on it somewhere.

No actually it was because I liked alot of what you said.

Whether or not it's drumming up interest or not it does have a reasonable debate behind it. But a post flatly calling out every single person in a thread that likes Frozen (Because obviously people here who are collecting it are concerned with this pin more then most) saying it is the worst thing out there is uncalled for. You may not think the movie is the bees knees, but these people do and they want to decide if this pin belongs in their collection or not.

I do now have an arguement for this being a Frozen pin ._.

After further inspection of the horrible photos of this pin, it's supposed to be the opening scene with the title sequence where all of the snowflakes are changing shapes. If you look at the big picture of the pin I showed earlier you can see it's that jelly glass material (Like the mulan or LM marquees) with sculpted snowflakes underneath.

It's either Frozen or that one Whinnie - the -Pooh movie

Okay, because you aren't seeing what I'm trying to say:

I don't think you should post a heated post of negative opinion about a movie when this is a thread about a PIN from said movie.

THAT causes problems. I have no idea what you're talking about with debi mostly because I'm a slow typer and half of what you guys said you posted between post #63 (the one I was replying too) and now.

I'm not trying to bait anyone for anything ._.

Oh my goodness...drama drama drama. That being said...let's appease peoples incredibly vulnerable sensitivity levels and just delete my posts. Clearly having an opinion that differs from the general viewpoint only upsets certain individuals. If you've quoted my posts please edit and remove it. This is just ridiculous and I don't have time for it. Again, apologies to the thread starter because this went completely off topic.

I have already agreed, it's not as good as a Tangled or others, just different. I'm not trying to bait anyone either.
It's a snowflake pin, is it part of Frozen because it's on a backer card or not.
Romancing_ Train, what do you mean by the way it is made?

Tinker, you weren't sticking up for anyone. You were baiting- as an outsider looking in I can clearly see that.

You don't get along with Rasputin (for whatever reason) and have claimed to put him on your ignore list and yet you keep referencing and responding to him.

I mean, come on. I would be feeling harassed by now if I were him.

sorry for being off topic.

Last edited:
Tinker, you weren't sticking up for anyone. You were baiting- as an outsider looking in I can clearly see that.

You don't get along with Rasputin (for whatever reason) and have claimed to put him on your ignore list and yet you keep referencing and responding to him.

I mean, come on. I would be feeling harassed by now if I were him.

sorry for being off topic. I just couldn't not say anything anymore. >.<
I was agreeing with what he has stated about the movie. My God, I have been nothing but polite to him here on the forum for some time. Like I said, it's not worth arguing.

It's a Frozen pin. It has Olaf on the card. They released a movie called Frozen, around the same time, had the same little snowman, used lots of snowflakes, ect...

Had Disney intended for it to be a generic 'winter' pin, they could have dressed up any character(s) in winter attire and left it at that. Then, I would have said no, not Frozen.

tinker, you weren't sticking up for anyone. You were baiting- as an outsider looking in i can clearly see that.

You don't get along with rasputin (for whatever reason) and have claimed to put him on your ignore list and yet you keep referencing and responding to him.

I mean, come on. I would be feeling harassed by now if i were him.

Sorry for being off topic.
x100

Oh my goodness...drama drama drama. That being said...let's appease peoples incredibly vulnerable sensitivity levels and just delete my posts. Clearly having an opinion that differs from the general viewpoint only upsets certain individuals. If you've quoted my posts please edit and remove it. This is just ridiculous and I don't have time for it. Again, apologies to the thread starter because this went completely off topic.

Oh John Jay/mark star can't you ever be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back