• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DSF/DSSH Live from Hollywood - Wreck it Ralph release

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSF/DSSH Live from Hollywood - Wreck it Ralph release
Yeah, this is more about how it stinks that eBayers will gather large groups for better odds and then up the prices for everyone else, while there's no real way a true trader/collector can up their chances if they don't have a lot of friends to go with them.

Either way, there will always be some people to ruin things for everyone else. Bad behavior during camp outs, shark swarms for the vouchers.

This was a pretty easy and relaxed release. Yes, there were 850 people there, but it went smoothly. And I wouldn't blame eBay resellers for the large turn out. This was a popular release and people wanted them for their collection or to trade them. The random drawing system is the best way to do it. I came by myself (as usual), and was given voucher 195. I was able to help a other forum member get the set to trade for a grail pin. It's all the luck of the draw. Sometimes you get the pins, sometimes you don't. Just because someone brought 10 people does not mean they picked up 10 sets.

Now we wait for March's flyer!

That's fine, it all depends how bad you want anything. You don't collect WIR, so it's no big deal to you losing a relatively quick raffle. And I understand that.

If I lived there and there was some exclusive thing I felt I needed for a collection, I would probably be willing to camp for a guarantee. I don't think I would have camped for this set, but there might be something out there someday I would definitely be okay with camping for if I wanted it badly enough. I'm thinking more along the lines of LE 150's though. And it would have to be really epic. But I'd do it to save potentially hundreds of dollars, yep.
I stood in line three hours this morning on the chance I might be able to help a friend. Even the "quick raffle" as you call it takes time, effort, gas, parking, etc. And that wasn't even for anything for my collection. I've done the campouts and again, as someone who has been doing DSF releases for eight years now, this is still the better way than the unsafe multi-day campouts with families camping in parking lots with cops called out over knife fights and crazy homeless people threatening people in line.

Yeah, the lottery is fair for everyone and gives everyone at least a chance. Some of us pin collectors have jobs, and can't take 2-3+ days off to live on the street for a set of pins... :) (And I honestly wouldn't do it anyway, I rather pay the 100% markup, which I have to do anyway if I get a bad voucher number).

But this way, at least I have a _chance_ of just buying them. Once the multi-night camp outs started, I never went again. I've been able to start going again since the lottery system was put in place (although I seem to have really crappy luck getting decent numbers... :) ).

Sure, people that can bring families/rent friends can show up with many people, but even that isn't a guarantee. The person in front of me was alone, and got a good number. A family/group of _8_ people all drew vouchers over 600... During the campout days, the group of 8 might have moved into the alley and would be guaranteed 8 sets to re-sell. This definitely evens out the odds a little, and allows _everyone_ to at least get a chance to participate.

I'm not sure the raffle system really is beneficial to the Ebay resellers as the odds with the raffle system are against them of being able to get the set greatly reducing the risk/reward incentive. I figure between the 4-5 hours of driving and waiting, the cost of gas, and the cost of pins not worth the effort for what you get by selling them. I really think the raffle system itself is the primary cause of the inflated prices as it takes something hard to get even harder.

In the early days of trading there were a lot of sources of pin releases: surprise pins, monthly cast pins, Disney cruise pins, Disney Auctions, special events, and a variety of releases from WDW, DL, DLRP, Japan and the Disney Store, that help create a balance in the system. Today the only place to get really high demand pins is the Soda Fountain (and to a limited extent WDI) so the demand, and hence the price, continue to inflate because the system is imbalanced.

Yeah, this is more about how it stinks that eBayers will gather large groups for better odds and then up the prices for everyone else, while there's no real way a true trader/collector can up their chances if they don't have a lot of friends to go with them.

Either way, there will always be some people to ruin things for everyone else. Bad behavior during camp outs, shark swarms for the vouchers.

either way the resellers will try to get their hands on them. One of my old coworkers would have his whole family line up for Jordans (shoes) or video game system releases and then sell them on craigslist.

I think they have a better chance at the waiting game.

What baffles me is when people complain that they got a high number. still within the range of guaranteed pins. Just that they have to wait longer.

That was so darned nice of you. You made "you know who" VERY happy!!!

This was a pretty easy and relaxed release. Yes, there were 850 people there, but it went smoothly. And I wouldn't blame eBay resellers for the large turn out. This was a popular release and people wanted them for their collection or to trade them. The random drawing system is the best way to do it. I came by myself (as usual), and was given voucher 195. I was able to help a other forum member get the set to trade for a grail pin. It's all the luck of the draw. Sometimes you get the pins, sometimes you don't. Just because someone brought 10 people does not mean they picked up 10 sets.

Now we wait for March's flyer!

You mean people were complaining if they got in the 300s???
Yup

Its like really !? you are guaranteed pins and you are complaining because you have to wait another hour or 2 ?

some people take off work / drive from far away / plan their day around the pin release. Its kinda what you have to do.
If you really want/need the pins you would factor in the longest wait time. wear your comfy shoes etc....

Raffle system just helps families and people who can bring a ton of people. I come alone for pins I just want to trade. I bring my wife for pins in secondary collections. I beg and plead for others for collections I'm a completist. I think many people do similar. Only drag others out for ones you really want. But I knew it would be over 750 today and I said maybe over 800. So I brought 2 Friends today too. We got 2 out of 4. But my friend and his wife missed so I'm helping them out with my extra set.

This should convince DSSH to do le500's+! But I always warned, don't mess with Star Wars, le1000 minimum!!

Raffle system just helps families and people who can bring a ton of people. I come alone for pins I just want to trade. I bring my wife for pins in secondary collections. I beg and plead for others for collections I'm a completist. I think many people do similar. Only drag others out for ones you really want. But I knew it would be over 750 today and I said maybe over 800. So I brought 2 Friends today too. We got 2 out of 4. But my friend and his wife missed so I'm helping them out with my extra set.

This should convince DSSH to do le500's+! But I always warned, don't mess with Star Wars, le1000 minimum!!

Oh gosh, a SW release with a low limit would be absolute chaos, depending on if non-pin SW collectors also want them for the hell of it.

People who just wanna sell the pins should just stay home

When does the flyer usally come out?

It's different for every month, but it's usually towards the end, February in particular took a long time to come out.

Honestly, while all my chances of getting the set this morning fell through, I can't blame pre-sellers too much. Pre-sellers really ruin the price of the pins at first. When this set was announced, everyone was expecting it to do at least $220-250 upon release, pre-sellers forced the price down to $150 and now it's only selling at $150-160 on FB. That is a terrible price compared to what people thought it would sell for so I'm pretty thankful for that. Same with Frozen, they drove those prices down very far initially. Do I expect the set to rise in price? Yes (like Frozen), BUT at least they make it not so bad when it first comes out (to give you a general idea, the set is selling for less than 2x cost...when you factor in gas, bringing people, parking, etc. That isn't really all that good of a deal for them).

As someone that both likes and hates the new system (it has its perks and setbacks from the way releases were done before), this is probably the fairest system that could work for pin traders (old and new). As for the comments that it helps families (it does and doesn't) I can relate as I go alone BUT we have to remember that pulling a number after one another means these "events" (pulling a good number) are dependent on one another.

SO to make it simple, let's pretend there is an LE 5 release and 10 people show up, so 5 good numbers and 5 bad numbers.
The first person has 50% to get a good number.
If the first person picks up a good number, the second person now has 4/9 chances (44%) to get a good number; This is a little less than the first person.
If the first person picks up a bad number, the second person now has 5/9 chances (56%) to get a good number; This is a little more than the first person.
If you continue and continue, you notice that your chances of pulling a good number vary from person to person as they get a good or bad number and the overall pool decreases. So families/groups have MORE chances to pick a number but that doesn't necessarily mean that they have a better chance of getting a good number.

(Also remember that some families trade as a family so they might all want the set too AND some groups help each other out so that when something comes out for their friend they'll give up their set, but when something comes out for themselves, they can count on their friend to give it up for them).

But I will say this, stop padding so this system takes less time and I could go back home to sleep!!

I agree with "Disneypirate" about the BALANCE issue with the LE pins. With DS.com being a total waste nowadays, and not living near any parks, I have to agree that the BALANCE with pin releases is out of whack!!

I have attended many Events, on both Coasts, and was able to get some Grails from just being there but the recent LE policy/practice is not good. I, personally, will not sleep on the streets for days, in all kinds of weather, for pieces of metal lol!!

I will wait for YEARS to try to get my wants, via Trade or RESONABLE costs if necessary.

Mike S.
Figment919

I would like it if there were more LE releases like this on the Disney Store site or something (all I've seen seemed large quantity and don't sell out, but I haven't been looking very much, so I could be wrong). I think pretty much everyone would prefer refreshing or being in queue on a web page to get their chance at a pin over standing outside for hours. And then people from all over the world could have a chance at them, too. I guess the downside to that one would be people with slow computers/internet though. And different time zones would mean some people couldn't do it because of work/sleep/etc..

For me, I'd still like to visit DSF someday just for the "experience" of being out there, meeting people and feeling like I've done something insane, lol!

I would like it if there were more LE releases like this on the Disney Store site or something (all I've seen seemed large quantity and don't sell out, but I haven't been looking very much, so I could be wrong). I think pretty much everyone would prefer refreshing or being in queue on a web page to get their chance at a pin over standing outside for hours. And then people from all over the world could have a chance at them, too. I guess the downside to that one would be people with slow computers/internet though. And different time zones would mean some people couldn't do it because of work/sleep/etc..

For me, I'd still like to visit DSF someday just for the "experience" of being out there, meeting people and feeling like I've done something insane, lol!

Trust me you dont want online releases. Bots will ruin it for everyone.

Trust me you dont want online releases. Bots will ruin it for everyone.

Actually, I do. Right now, living in Tennessee, I have a guaranteed 0% possibility of getting any pins from DSF since I can't just show up for the releases. Even with bots, I (and everyone outside of Southern CA) would have a better chance of getting new, wanted pins useful for trades if DS.com got their act together again and sold decent pins online.

Just wanted to say that we had an awesome time yesterday at our first DSF release! Out of three of us, we got one set, which we'll keep.

I was there with my boyfriend (Wiggity Wreck It) and his younger brother. I recognized a couple faces from the forums, just from pictures I've seen in avatars or on threads. I didn't say anything, though, because I figured I'd come across as a creeper and no one would even recognize my username, lol. We saw you, Steve, and were actually standing almost directly across from you once they had everyone move up in line. We were admiring your shirt and your friend's Frozen crew jacket.

We plan to go to more Saturday releases in the future. Ryan keeps asking me if the March flyer has been released yet, so I'm sure we'll be there next month! During the early hours of the morning when there is no traffic, it only takes us about an hour and 10 minutes to get there, so it wasn't bad at all.

Hope to meet and talk to more of you next time.

As someone that both likes and hates the new system (it has its perks and setbacks from the way releases were done before), this is probably the fairest system that could work for pin traders (old and new). As for the comments that it helps families (it does and doesn't) I can relate as I go alone BUT we have to remember that pulling a number after one another means these "events" (pulling a good number) are dependent on one another.

SO to make it simple, let's pretend there is an LE 5 release and 10 people show up, so 5 good numbers and 5 bad numbers.
The first person has 50% to get a good number.
If the first person picks up a good number, the second person now has 4/9 chances (44%) to get a good number; This is a little less than the first person.
If the first person picks up a bad number, the second person now has 5/9 chances (56%) to get a good number; This is a little more than the first person.
If you continue and continue, you notice that your chances of pulling a good number vary from person to person as they get a good or bad number and the overall pool decreases. So families/groups have MORE chances to pick a number but that doesn't necessarily mean that they have a better chance of getting a good number.

Actually, the chances are the same for everyone. In your example, with 10 numbers total (5 good, 5 bad; 10 people), unless the first through ninth person reveals what number (good or bad) they received, the odds are the same.

Look at it this way. Say all the numbers/vouchers were sealed individually in envelopes. Everyone is handed an envelope and after the 10th envelope has been handed out, everyone opens their envelope. Everyone's odds would be the same: 50:50 - 5 out of 10 - in other words, 50% chance of getting a good number and 50% chance of getting a bad number. It doesn't matter if you pull the 1st envelope or the last envelope, the odds are the same. The odds only change if the person in front tells the person behind them what they got (and then that person does the "math").

So, with 850 people and 400 sets, there was a 47% chance to get a good number, whether you're first or last. Some people's "luck" is just better than others, I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back