• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin Thief...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pin Thief...
Understand completely what you are saying broncobilly and know as a mod you'd have to be careful sometimes expressing your own opinion as a collector. A list of questionable people controlled completely by moderators would be great in this case and while this sort of situation is not something we should be gossiping about it is something that we all need to be aware about and so a name and a brief line about why we should be aware of said people (inc case they tried doing it under a different name) would help this from happening in the future.

Although we have no control about who is at official Disney events we can at least then make sure we don't let them into our homes or trade without first receiving pins from them.

For those posting about wanting the name being publicly posted, I understand your points of view. Putting on my mod hat: In the past, the site as a whole (previous mods and the current ones) have been hesitant to allow people in these situations to be publicly IDed, especially if the transaction really had nothing to do with DPF, as should there be an issue with the IDing or something similar, it does open the site to "issues". Now, what might be said via PM, we have no control over it, so if people want to discuss the issue in detail via PM, that is up to them.

However, I would like to think we are open minded about the issue and the needs of DPFers, because I agree with everything said above as a collector. I know other sites that deal with collecting items have ways to post a bad trader/bad seller list that is strictly under the control of the mods/admin. Now that we are discussing this internally, let us see if we can implement something similar. End QUOTE

I understand trying to cover this site's butt. Is there a way to post a screenshot of the post from facebook and be covered? Or how about tagging the DPF facebook page the relavent thread in the other facebook sites and then people can be directed there (DPF Facebook) to discuss. Therefore the information isn't being second/third hand via this site, but displaying what is happening on facebook. Maybe add a disclaimer saying all views are the responsibility of facebook and the members that took part. Many news agencies will take a story and repost on their site giving credit to the original source (and some cases the stories are wrong and a retraction is issued). Disboards has a list of bad and good ebay sellers. Many sites dont seem too bothered by sharing information that may help discourage bad behavior. Becasue the bottom line is, these forums are here to share information, trade, and form friendships in this hobby. And if I need to go to facebook to get the whole story, then those facebook pages will be where I go to get my information. Just a thought. It seems in the last year+ the way we get our information is changing fast. Once there was just pin pics. Now we have added dpp. First there was only dizpins, now pintalk & dpf. Many new traders are now on instagram and facebook. Time to put the DPF facebook page to good use.

This is the thing I hate about DPF. He took the pins and still he cannot be named because the rules.

IT has been proven that he did it by more than a few members here, let the name be seen!

This has been my main complaint since the day I joined here. If the owners/admins of this site would like some FREE LEGAL ADVICE regarding libel/slander please contact me. Also if this site is also hosted in some obscure country like DPP why are you worried?

The only people that are protected on this forum are the lying, cheating and blatantly STEALING members! People are called out everyday for doing something nice (by real name) yet people can literally rip off unknowing/unsuspecting/uninformed members on a regular basis.

If you are worried about anything you should be worried about running a site that keeps people in the dark about the dirt that goes on. It's as if you are condoning this behavior by silencing it. There are very clear laws in California and you need to know them, not just assume or believe what some guy that knows this one chick who's uncle learned about the law in prison!

Come on people so long as you keep this information quiet everyone else is in danger of meeting the exact same fate. Please encourage the owners/admins to SPEAK THE TRUTH!

Let's just say he's on facebook, loves little mermaid pins

Woah... I couldn't even leave a hint for people. Lmao!! Great forum for covering up crooks. I suggest you folks who are in the dark check Facebook for the name of the person responsible, at least there nobody is hiding their tail between their legs.

This has been my main complaint since the day I joined here. If the owners/admins of this site would like some FREE LEGAL ADVICE regarding libel/slander please contact me. Also if this site is also hosted in some obscure country like DPP why are you worried?

The only people that are protected on this forum are the lying, cheating and blatantly STEALING members! People are called out everyday for doing something nice (by real name) yet people can literally rip off unknowing/unsuspecting/uninformed members on a regular basis.

If you are worried about anything you should be worried about running a site that keeps people in the dark about the dirt that goes on. It's as if you are condoning this behavior by silencing it. There are very clear laws in California and you need to know them, not just assume or believe what some guy that knows this one chick who's uncle learned about the law in prison!

Come on people so long as you keep this information quiet everyone else is in danger of meeting the exact same fate. Please encourage the owners/admins to SPEAK THE TRUTH!

This is absolutely correct in my opinion as well... Best comment on the whole thread...

I clearly have stated who he is in my thread which started a month ago. Why wouldn't I? He isn't denying that he "found the pins just thrown in his bag" And if you buy that story, well, that is up to you. Everyone is welcome to join Facebook group titled, Pin Traders United, where he describes how he was "framed" by "those confessions people". He blatantly attacks my guests integrity with this claim. He comes to my house, eats my food, drinks my drinks, and apparently leaves intoxicated and in a "state of mind" to go off to his job as an LVN. I might be a raging, fat ***** BUT I am not a thief or a liar or part of some conspiracy theory to make it appear that someone has stolen pins. That lie is so ludicrous, disgusting and low; just as bad as the theft.

i clearly have stated who he is in my thread which started a month ago. Why wouldn't i? He isn't denying that he "found the pins just thrown in his bag" and if you buy that story, well, that is up to you. Everyone is welcome to join facebook group titled, pin traders united, where he describes how he was "framed" by "those confessions people". He blatantly attacks my guests integrity with this claim. He comes to my house, eats my food, drinks my drinks, and apparently leaves intoxicated and in a "state of mind" to go off to his job as an lvn. I might be a raging, fat ***** but i am not a thief or a liar or part of some conspiracy theory to make it appear that someone has stolen pins. That lie is so ludicrous, disgusting and low; just as bad as the theft.

preach.

free legal advice from someone who isn't a lawyer isn't worth the paper it's written on. When we registered we agreed to abide by certain rules just like we do on Facebook or other social media.

While we may not like what the mods/admin do, if they should get sued for others' negative comments, etc., are the people that make these comments going to pay to defend a lawsuit, even if it's a crappy lawsuit? Even crap lawsuits take $$$ to get rid of.

free legal advice from someone who isn't a lawyer isn't worth the paper it's written on. When we registered we agreed to abide by certain rules just like we do on Facebook or other social media.

While we may not like what the mods/admin do, if they should get sued for others' negative comments, etc., are the people that make these comments going to pay to defend a lawsuit, even if it's a crappy lawsuit? Even crap lawsuits take $$$ to get rid of.

That's true. There are so many frivolous lawsuits nowadays - like suing a train for hitting you when you drive across the tracks trying to beat the train OR suing McDs for serving hot coffee when you put it in your lap while you drive and had to stop suddenly and it spilled out - when things like those should be "common sense" (like stop for the train and wait your turn, or put the coffee in the cupholder not in your lap between your legs) but aren't.

But back to the "bad traders/sellers" list: even if it can't be kept publicly in the forum, it should be kept in PM and others should share it with others privately. If the mods/admin can, I'd suggest banning the person (and maybe making a sticky note) at the top of the selling and trading / wanting threads. I suppose those members could stick around for "chat" and hobbies/collectibles talk but should be kept out of merchandise auctions/trading threads?

First of all, no one that is actually guilty would be stupid enough to 'sue' a forum because a member posted they they stole something from them. If anything, you sue the member for slander, but you then have to prove you didn't actually steal the items in question. The forum can't be held responsible for what others post any more than eBay can be held responsible for what people sell. If there's a _real_ problem with a post, they will get a letter from a lawyer (or someone in a legal capacity) asking them to remove the post. _THAT'S_ when the post should be removed. They aren't going to just be thrown in court because someone wrote something on the forum. There's not another forum, blog or website that I belong to that does this... They all openly identify thieves (be it actual thieves, people that sell fakes, people that take money and never ship items, etc.) That's how they protect the members of their community and stop the people that are committing the crimes. It's an open forum anyone can join... If the person in question _isn't_ a thief, let them come forward and explain the situation in a clear, rational manner... Nothing is stopping them.

No one is going to take someone to court over a stupid claim about a $20 pin... Regardless of the perceived after-market value. (That's in general, I know in this case it was several pins)

There is at least one member here that _IS_ a lawyer, and has offered their services for free should the forum ever come under that situation, iirc.

I wonder if anyone has considered that the forum could be held liable if someone _else_ gets robbed by a member that they could have been warned about, but the forum deliberately protected the thief by hiding his identity... It could easily be argued that maybe the forum is in league with these people, thus the reason they want to hide their identity... (I know that's not true, but you get the right kind of lawyer involved and you'd be surprised what they might be able to 'prove'...) If the forum wants to protect itself, they should, literally, not get involved unless requested/ordered to do so by someone representing law enforcement. (Meaning don't comment on the thread or situation, and don't edit the posts, unless the forum was directly involved. Monitor it to make sure people aren't just being nasty, but a general statement of the situation and those involved should just be left as-is unless ordered to do something else.)

From what I've seen, protecting the criminals is unique to this particular hobby, at least based on the ones I participate in... And this hobby seems to have more criminals than most of them (based mostly on scrappers sellers on eBay anyway...).

But back to the "bad traders/sellers" list: even if it can't be kept publicly in the forum, it should be kept in PM and others should share it with others privately. If the mods/admin can, I'd suggest banning the person (and maybe making a sticky note) at the top of the selling and trading / wanting threads. I suppose those members could stick around for "chat" and hobbies/collectibles talk but should be kept out of merchandise auctions/trading threads?

But how is a new member (that would be easy prey to a thief) going to know to PM someone for a list of people to avoid? And how do they know _who_ to even ask?

It shouldn't be that hard to find out...

Last edited:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Best possible option when you are not educated on a subject? Say nothing.

@rik....Well said.

@anyone else. While I am not an attorney I work for several of them, have been a paralegal for over 20 years and my offer for advice was not coming from me. I have said SEVERAL times over the year and a half that I have been a memeber here that I have more than one attorney who has agreed to give advice on this matter FOR FREE should the owners/admins want more than jailhouse legal advice.

As this particular instance is hushed by mods and being spun by one well known and self confessed scammer who seems to delight in misery, has opened countless facebook pages dedicated to exactly that kind of trashy **** and still has the nerve to call people out for the same behavior. Hello Mr. Pot can i introduce you to Mr. Kettle? Because of that alone I cannot weigh in on the validity of this one claim at all. I am speaking in general about the nature of this forum, the ridiculous "drama police" who feel that everyone should be in a circle singing koombaya!! That is ridiculous and will never happen.

This forum is a virtual ghost town compared to when I joined. People are leaving in droves and it didn't have to be this way. The overstepping and power hungry tactics of the latest recruit of mods literally policing every word spoken by controversial members and then banning them because doing something as simple as having an opinion was deemed "drama" STFU. Heated discussions and disagreements are not "DRAMA" they are adult conversations and people possessing more than a double digit IQ not only enjoy them, they seek them out, participate in them and when they can't find them here they just go somewhere else for them.

This forum needs to be acknowledged as an ADULT forum, yes you have to 18 to join so all this stuff about this being a "family friendly forum" or that "young children read this forum" is insane. If truly this was a "family forum" I wouldn't not be allowed to say "stuff" It's a very simple code that prevents such language from being used. Once that happens and adults are allowed to act like adults, you know the kind that call people out in public for screwing them over, can say things like stuff without fearing infractions and can have open conversations without worrying about the "drama police" shutting it down or punishing them.....this will be a much better hobby and place to be in general.

I have been banned for both "drama" and "inappropriate language" as well as having my posts edited for saying something as mild as tramp! Excuse me? Grow up. There is also code that can allow users to block language they find offensive so why not put that option in there for those with such a delicate nature? When you silence people in every possible way you are only doing this hobby a disservice in that the people needed to support it are being run away from it and the scummiest, trashiest opportunistic people are coming in record numbers to make money.

Barf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd... I am pretty sure this is the same person who attended an event we held last year when items turned up missing... Sad that people allow their morals to reach such low levels....

ahhhhh Moe yup its all coming together now. I wonder. Weird because i traded with this person via mail with no problems --sometimes the temptation is too great. Im gonna look at the good. Sometimes we do bad things. Sometimes we make really bad choices. It takes humility and chops to them admit you STOLE and stole from "friends" and return items. So maybe we should think of that also and hope this was a life long lesson that you dont take when isnt yours--I know I like to be givin a second chance in areas where I f***ed up--just food for thought.

up dating my above comment.....i did not go on all the FB pages that address this issue as grapesoda pointed out. I try to stay away from negativity,,,so sadly that is why many of you have not seen me on DPF much anymore:sad:

Thanks Josh for just letting people know whats going on. Although I adore Molly and see many of her points -one point i disagree with is posting names. Im a kinda slippery slope type of gal and I'd hate for minor issues without proof to start naming names and accusing people left and right...if you are 100% innocent it will still tarnish your name, so if ya give a crap take the 10seconds it takes to PM and ask for names in private. 10 seconds....i remember when it took 1+1/2 hours to make a baked potato and now people complain it takes 5minutes in the mirowave. Wow that was totally off point--see how my minds works:crazy::crazy:

He isn't denying that he "found the pins just thrown in his bag" And if you buy that story, well, that is up to you.

I am not on FB and fairly out of touch with what is going on in trading circles lately, as I try to avoid negativity just like many others. I consider myself relatively a newbie with only 4.5 years under my belt. Sadly, this hobby changed A LOT and became (almost) a disgrace to Disney name in that short time.

I have been reading this one thread despite my efforts to avoid negativity. I must say that this is becoming just hillarious :sigh:

So, what do we do if we "find" high end pins miraculously thrown in to our pin bags? We thank the Pin Gods and proudly wear them to trading events! Even better if the former and rightful owner of said pins is in attandance :rolleyes:

@rik...You paint an interesting scenario, but if I may, let me spin it a little differently and the fact that this actually happened to people I know

As well as Disney Pins, I also belong to a website dedicated to Transformers. When the first live action movie was being made, someone quoted something from the forum of the director, gave proper credit, quoted it word for word, no changes, etc. Because it was such an interesting idea, the fan community was quite divided on the issue, and the post on the fan site literally blew up. It got so loud and prolific and while it was heated, most of what was said was valid on both the pro and the con side of the issue. It got so big, it was actually brought to the attention of the director that evening, who in turn contacted the owner of the forum, the mods of the forum, and the original poster and basically threatened legal action against all those contacted if the thread did not disappear. No one did anything wrong, but legal action was threatened, and since the director probably had a better legal team than any of the mods, the poster, etc, since that is a fan site and moderator/posted on for FREE, the thread was retired. How does that apply here:

As I have pointed out, the original poster might be 100% correct with their statement, their facts, etc. However, as this did not occur on DPF, there is no way the mods/admin can swear by that fact, so it has been the practice of the mods before us, and probably after us, unless we change the policy, to remove the name from public viewing as we are acting on the side of caution in this case.

We are not closing the thread as long as it remains on topic and CIVIL, as I am open to a discussion about possibly doing a bad sellers/traders thread if it can be worked out cleanly and without issue of libel, etc. However, if the thread goes off topic and becomes unruly, it will be retired

Last edited:
Here's a suggestion to all the people who want a list of bad traders, sellers, etc.

Create your own website, blog, group and tell people where it is. Most of us who use the internet have free web space provided by cable company, ISP, etc. Use it for this purpose and create your own site.

DPF isn't the police of the internet or of pins.

I am not a facebook user. Could I please be PM'd the name so I can avoid trades. Thank you very much. Very sad to see this happening, but with prices of pins at crazy amounts on eBay and other sites, I can see where some people would lower their morals and standards to try and make a few bucks...sad.

Best output - ban the person and notify those members here via PM email blast of what the issue was, the action the staff took and then close this thread (therefore it is not public, but a bulletin message...)

Hello all I am a facebook user and this is the first I have heard or seen about this, yes I asked for the name in private, but my take on this may be different than others, IF these pins that were taken are the newer ones then the person that owns them should have kept more control on them if they are so "valuable", but at the same time, those of us that cannot afford to pay those outrageous prices, would like them and there are those out there that will steal for them, if people would just value the pins at what they cost then maybe things would not get so out of hand, and people not be greedy and buy more than a few for trade then maybe there would be more for others to purchase.

If I have offended anyone that is to bad but that is my take on this, and yes the names should be available to anyone that wants to know who the culprit(s) are when things like this happen.

I don't get on here much any more either because of all the drama what ever happened to old fashioned pin trading, now everyone wants to sell and make money on little pieces of metal. Well am getting off my soapbox blood pressure is going up typing this.:mad:

IF these pins that were taken are the newer ones then the person that owns them should have kept more control on them if they are so "valuable"

The thief was an invited guest in someone's home. He even went so far as to concoct a story the next day that he Los hd pins stolen as the throw people off from him being a suspect. No one would of thought that they needed to keep a constant eye on their pins when they were amongst friends and blaming the victim in this instance is beyond poor taste. There isn't one hobby on this planet that coveted items within the hobby are sold or traded at cost. Not one. If you don't like the value or cost of things, don't buy them. It's a personal choice to do so, however putting blame on the victim in this case is beyond poor, it's down right stupid..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back