• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PTDB Redesign Live! Ariel PTD Giveaway - 2 days left!

Status
Not open for further replies.
PTDB Redesign Live! Ariel PTD Giveaway - 2 days left!
-right now you can't replace a pic. You can upload a new one and vote it past your old one. I suppose we should let users delete their own pics, or possibly overwrite them. Do you think we can trust all users to only overwrite a pic only with a better pic? Either way I don't love the idea of changing a pic that ppl have voted on. You might be right about voting being unviable but i'd like to give it a shot. It wouldn't be instant but if when you are looking at a particular pin you will probably look at several of the pics and you can upvote your favorite in addition to downvoting poor quality pics. Note that there will be a leaderboard for who has the most top pics and periodic balloon awards for top pics, which I think will be fun

We will certainly need more mods, hopefully in the near future, and will consider anyone who wants to be one. Criteria, in order of importance, are as follows:
- Be an institution in the pin community (well known by as many people as possible for integrity, kindness, knowledge).
- Be online as often as possible, preferably in chat.
- Mod experience helps of course

I think it's imporant to have several pics per pin, since different angles and lighting can change the look of them. The current 400x400 size has to do with storage and bandwidth constraints. Allowing multiple pics per pin exacerbates any issues that come with larger file sizes. The current goal is to support the site at $40-50 a month in hosting. If 400x400 proves to be inadequate we will revisit the storage/bandwidth strategy and either increase the 400 or store a third larger copy.

Last edited:
click on the user list link

from there you can select a user and see all pin info or you can go straight to owns / trades / wants

Got it. Thanks. I left a pin I was looking at and it was filtering on that. When that user list gets to be thousands, it may be hard to find your own. A separate link (to owns / trades / wants) somewhere under the logout might be useful.

My husband and I are both web designers and developers, please let me know if you need any help updating the look of the site at all! I'm not sure if I can post a link to it or not, but if you'd like to see our portfolios or anything let me know. I'd love to lend a hand! :)

Well maybe we should run a "donation thread" Like if people are willing to "donate" pictures or scans of their pins someone else can list them?

^^^ sounds like a great idea. I know many people who are talented with photographs but don't want to take the time to do the uploads and description writing or just do not have the time. I know I would lend a hand in uploading and description writing if people want to just send pictures over.

So, I added a picture to listing 310 but since I removed the background, it came up all black. I really should remember that. Any way we can swap that out?

-right now you can't replace a pic. You can upload a new one and vote it past your old one. I suppose we should let users delete their own pics, or possibly overwrite them. Do you think we can trust all users to only overwrite a pic only with a better pic? Either way I don't love the idea of changing a pic that ppl have voted on. You might be right about voting being unviable but i'd like to give it a shot. It wouldn't be instant but if when you are looking at a particular pin you will probably look at several of the pics and you can upvote your favorite in addition to downvoting poor quality pics. Note that there will be a leaderboard for who has the most top pics and periodic balloon awards for top pics, which I think will be fun

I think it's imporant to have several pics per pin, since different angles and lighting can change the look of them. The current 400x400 size has to do with storage and bandwidth constraints. Allowing multiple pics per pin exacerbates any issues that come with larger file sizes. The current goal is to support the site at $40-50 a month in hosting. If 400x400 proves to be inadequate we will revisit the storage/bandwidth strategy and either increase the 400 or store a third larger copy.

I just think that could get a little overwhelming if 10 people decide they want to upload their picture of their pin... I don't really see the need for multiple pictures of the same angle, especially if you get a picture done with a proper lighting and a good camera... (I use a studio light-box and DSLR camera, then Photoshop out the background so only the pin is visible.) Obviously not everyone can do that, but any photograph taken in good lighting (without the need of a flash) should be good enough. (Pin them to a white board, and take the pictures outside during the day, they'll come out great... Just watch out for what the shadows are doing.)

Space shouldn't be an issue (as far as I know, pretty much all service providers have unlimited storage on all their hosting plans), and bandwidth really shouldn't be either since they all seem to have unlimited bandwidth now too... Database calls and such may not be included in that, but a database call to a 400x400 image shouldn't be any more 'bandwidth' than a call to a 800x800 image...

I liked the idea of DPP: A front image (on a plain background), a back image (on a plain background), and an alternate image. Maybe a few more options (pin in the packaging, etc), but just one of each category.
If you just allow 10+ (or any number) of random images, that's likely to get out of control fast... Maybe not on any one pin (except maybe Frozen pins... :) ), but I can just see a lot of pins getting several alternates...

It was never a problem on DPP for the pictures to be instantly replaceable... I never saw a good picture get updated with a worse one (and, in general, if the picture was good already, people just left it alone). Most people can tell a bad pic when they see one, and also can tell if they really feel they can take a better picture or not.

If people will actively participate in the voting system (and maybe there's a way to get a list of all that need voting on), then that could work. I just wonder if it will get left ignored by most that just want to use the site as a database and not really bother with any of the fun aspects of it... You could also not allow people to directly over-write pictures, but have them be moderator approved to replace an existing image with a new one... We may just have to wait and see how much participation people are willing to put into it... :)

But the instant gratification of just being able to make changes and have them be ready for anyone to see was nice about DPP. Especially if someone took charge of a certain area and conformed it 100%. I had renamed all of the DSF Marquee pins to be the same layout, and was working on the entire DSF collection when the site was sold. So if you searched for a group name (I was making specific, searchable group names for different things), you found all the marquees, and they were all named the same (like PD11111 - DSF/DSSH - El Capitan Marquee - Frozen, etc, something like that...)

Rik

Thanks for the thoughtful and thorough input rik. I'm sold on the replacements. I'll start coding pic deletion/overwriting for pic owners/mods immediately.

If anyone can pm me the name(s) of hosts with php/mysql that have unlimited storage and bandwidth that would help a lot. My account is limited to 20gb and 200gb bandwidth, and my planned upgrade only goes to 75gb/5000gb.

I use PowWeb for my website. Storage and website bandwidth are unlimited. I'm not sure how database calls and such are ranked in that, but I run a small forum on it and have never had any issues. Their rules basically state that you need to stay within the constraints of a 'normal personal or small business' website. (Basically, they don't want you hosting terabytes of 'multimedia files' on your site. I.e., movie/music piracy...) I have a few gigs of random stuff stored on the site just for the heck of it, and they haven't said anything... But an actual user-accessible database of images won't be a problem. I'd have to look, but I think I pay around $100-120/yr for it.

We just completed some changes to the pic uploading process. You can now delete your own pictures (mods can also). When you upload a pic, you will choose a crop for the main pic, and a second crop for the thumbnail, which has to be a square. Thumbs have been increased from 75x75 to 100x100, and we will now be storing an up to 1200x1200 version of the main image. We've opted against updating pics because it causes caching issues that would have been confusing. Deleting the pic and uploading a new one accomplishes most of what replacing a pic could.

We've also swapped the db to the root domain and the forum to a forum folder, so we are now effectively a db with a forum instead of a forum with a db. And the new official site domain is pintradingdb.com, or ptdb.co for short.

Big thanks to CourtneyJean for the graphic vision, which has helped balance out my tendency to focus maybe too much on data. And thanks to all the people helping to upload pins.

Last edited:
Pinpics is now sending emails (new site) to notify of new inbox messages. I have been getting a lot of trade requests now! I think they feel the heat and know they need to improve their site. Competition will do that, they are feeling the fire, keep up the good work!! :)

I'm happy to help with listings too. I've been adding a couple of pins that I happen to have photos of, I will try to add more once I can get some decent pictures of all my pins.

I'd like to make a request; if possible, could the price column have options to choose the currency? I'm listing DSUK releases and it's asking me to put the price in $ but I don't think that makes sense as the conversion rate changes all the time. I think it would be better to put the original price in the currency it was sold as. For the moment I've left it blank. It would also be good to have the option to add "per set" to the end of the price as some pins are only sold in sets so an individual original price wouldn't be truthful.

Loving how the database is coming along, by the way! Also, as someone who loves collecting points etc, the gold balloons are great fun. Keep up the fantastic work, it's much appreciated :)

I'm happy to help with listings too. I've been adding a couple of pins that I happen to have photos of, I will try to add more once I can get some decent pictures of all my pins.

I'd like to make a request; if possible, could the price column have options to choose the currency? I'm listing DSUK releases and it's asking me to put the price in $ but I don't think that makes sense as the conversion rate changes all the time. I think it would be better to put the original price in the currency it was sold as. For the moment I've left it blank. It would also be good to have the option to add "per set" to the end of the price as some pins are only sold in sets so an individual original price wouldn't be truthful.

Loving how the database is coming along, by the way! Also, as someone who loves collecting points etc, the gold balloons are great fun. Keep up the fantastic work, it's much appreciated :)

Ii was thinking that too (for currency). I put some Japanese pins up there and it wouldn't let me do the yen. So I converted it and said in the listing the price in yen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back