• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

2013 Fairytale Designer Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Fairytale Designer Collection
One thing to remember about a Designer Brides collections is the other merchandise that is tied in with it. You are limiting the audience if you make Designer Bride shirts, scarves, journals, makeup. I believe Disney is still going to try and use that secondary Designer line again too - and if they did Brides I don't think that all would work.

Honestly I am still waiting for a cop-out/twist that Shang Li was the emperor's son or grandson and that way Mulan can FINALLY be considered a princess. It only makes sense and Kida is most likely ignored due to her movie's provocativeness. She was in a thong at some point.

I read somewhere that there will never be a Giselle doll again. Newer pins of Giselle are all of her cartoonified version, not of Amy Adams herself. Granted, they could probably do a cartoonified version of her doll, like they did once before, but I'm not sure what the specifications and guidelines are with that. As ImNotBad said, they would be making tons of other merchandise to go with the collection, and would have to pay for her likeness for every single piece they produced. This would be very costly to them! One pin every now and again probably isn't all too detrimental, but I think purses, wallets, dolls, shirts, scarves, and mugs would probably do them in haha.

If they include Anna from Frozen, they will release her last, so that her release is closer to the release of the film. Even if she has to sit until the movie is out, I am sure that she will be bought up eventually. I think she is beautiful and I would love to see her in some sort of ice-coated crystal gown!

And personally I don't think Jane looks at all like Belle...they have completely different facial structures and eye shapes.

I definitely think that, if these are released, some will have higher LEs than others, much like the princesses. They are probably trying to make sure they will all sell, and assign numbers based on their popularity/new-ness. (I.e., while Rapunzel is extremely popular, she was only a year or two old at the release of the DP dolls, and I think perhaps they were skeptical about how many die-hard fans would purchase her. A lot of Disney lovers like the classic gals, like Cinderella, Ariel, Belle, and Snow White).

So, hypothetically, I hope it is something like this:

Merida: 6000 dolls
Megara: 6000 dolls
Esmeralda: 6000 dolls
Jane: 4000 dolls
Kida: 4000 dolls
Anna: 4000 dolls
Tink? 6000 dolls
Alice? 6000 dolls
Wendy? 4000 dolls
Venellope (though highly unlikely, due to her size. She would look really strange stretched out! That is where I think characters would become unrecognizable) 4000 dolls

And maybe these numbers/estimates are too high? The more I think about it, the more I think it is more logical for them to do a bridal collection of the princesses. Though I really, really want this collection to come to light! I just fear that even with small LE numbers, they will still sit.

I don't know, I think I may be done speculating! My brain hurts haha. I'm just excited for real news!!

Personally I don't think a Female Heroine line would be very popular. They don't have nearly the fan base of the Princesses, or even the Villains. Though this may work in the advantage of collectors. Less competition, more than of getting a hold of the doll, lower Limited Edition numbers.

These numbers all seem realistic. Though the only dolls I would really be interested in getting would be Merida, Esmeralda and Wendy. Perhaps Alice and Jane depending on their appearance. Hopefully if it does happen, then it'll have a release date similar to the Villains. That way it would be around my birthday and after my WDW trip.

And personally I don't think Jane looks at all like Belle...they have completely different facial structures and eye shapes.

yes there differences between the two characters but if they were to release Jane as a designer doll where they usually change the appearance of the character I would say there are a lot of similarities. Also with the dolls they are a little more limited to expressions, facial features etc as they capture a moment/look of a character. That and you are more familiar with the characters and aware of them compared to others who may be aware of the characters but due to the lack of merchandise of Jane would never expect one of her to be released. Also it seems odd to me that they would release a designer Jane when they have very little merchandise of Jane in the first place.

Please don't think I am having a go at you, I am just trying to take it from the perspective of someone who would potentially buy a doll if they say it or heard about it but does not necessarily follow Disney as much of other members on this forum.

But who knows you could be right and they may decide to release a designer doll of Jane should they decide to go down that track. Personally I believe if they were to go down this track they would not release so many dolls as they did with the princesses as that ended up as a mad rush in the end and the way they sold the villains online last year seemed to work better. So I believe if they do go down this track, due to the obscurity of some of the characters they probably will retain the new price of $80 but have maybe 6-8 characters with lower edition sizes.

With Anna I doubt she will be included as Merida was excluded from the original Designer line even though they already had developed the character. I was told by another member on here that during the expo they showed a 30min preview of Brave. But then again I could be wrong as Frozen is due for release in Nov whereas Brave was due for release the following June.

Last edited:
The official dolls that were released in the past of Jane Porter look absolutely nothing like any Belle dolls, so I don't see how this is a concern. The resemblance between the two ends for me at 'they both wear yellow' in my opinion. Jane's film was by quite a bit, THE most successful post Lion King Disney film (until Tangled). When I think of Tarzan I absolutely think of Jane (they are kind of a unit), and like some have noted, she still regularly appears at the parks (during Halloween). I do actually kind of think that Disney threw Tarzan under the rug, but I still think that out of all the post-Pocahontas and pre-Tiana heroines, Jane is probably one of the most likely to get a doll. Esmeralda and Megara seem to be such a given for a lot of people, but I don't think Jane is any less likely than them. And Kida is way less likely to be released than Jane imo.

Ideally I'd love to see-
Esmeralda
Megara
Jane Porter
Kida
Nani (not going to happen, but I can dream)
Jessica Rabbit
Giselle
Calhoun
Merida
Charlotte

That's my dream list though, and there's a few (Nani, Kida, Calhoun), that I really don't think have much of a chance at all. A quibble on Jessica Rabbit is that I'd want her to have a different body mold than the other dolls. None of this skinny Ursula stuff. Jessica needs her exaggerated curves (like the Mattel doll of her released about fifteen years ago). If they're not willing to do that I'd rather not see her in the line.

Also I don't recall her being mentioned but I imagine Mary Poppins might be a possibility? I imagine that Alice and Tinkerbell (probably not Wendy because Disney tends to favor Tink over her) will make the line, but I don't personally think that child characters would work very well for the line and I don't really want to see the characters aged up. Otherwise I'd be all for Vanellope as well.

I think a fairies line would be a very bad idea as since the franchise is only a few years old, it doesn't have many adult fans, which is what these dolls are catered to. Tinkerbell herself would sell well, but Silvermist, Rosetta, etc., probably not.

As for the villains I think they would have sold fine had Disney not made so, so many of them. 13k was way too high a number. Also a lot of people were turned off by how little some of them resembled their canon counterparts.

I would definitely assume that the Giselle they are using would be her cartoon version. It would honestly be weird to see all these Designer princesses being based off their animated counterparts and then have Giselle look near lifelike. Not only would Disney have to pay royalties but Giselle would not look right and wouldn't fit in the collection unless she's animated imo.

As for Vanellope, both Vanellope main dress and her original outfit are extremely distinct with her hair being the most distinct. Now try to picture this with me lol because it's hard to explain in text haha xD

A tall, slim girl with black hair, tied back. Her hair is still covered in candy like Vanellope and her hair is tied back with a red, Twizzlers ribbon. She has an aqua blazer on along with a white top underneath. She is wearing a frill black skirt that overlaps her candy cane leggings. She also has black boots on. Heck, for a purse should could have a little handbag around one shoulder and the handbag itself could resemble the cookie medal she gave Ralph.

Not only is that look qualified of being a Designer outfit imo, but it also is the first pin that isn't a dress. This helps shows that a Designer outfit doesn't have to be the ostentatious billowing dress on every girl. IDK, maybe it's just me but I can see that being a really nice outfit.

I think they are trying to base the looks of the Designers off of supermodels (hence why Ursula was slimmed down), so I would definitely think Jessica would retain her curves, that's more of a supermodel than any of the princesses thus far.

That is a fair point but like I have mentioned the whole Jane/Belle likeness I am trying to come from a perspective of someone who does not follow disney as much as other people on the forum and based on the history of how they change the look of some of the characters for the designer line I was just saying that there could be a lot of sinilarities between the two. They do look alike and it is aimed at children so if most kids would probably associate the two together especially after they "cuteified" Belle with the new softer look.

i agree that Tarzan did well in the box office but it was not just about the box office takings but also how relatable the characters were and like I mentioned in my previous post, due to he overuse of the character Tarzan many people could not really relate to the Disney version as it was not memorable.

With all that said I still think she would be a great addition to the designer line if Disney gets her right. But a lot of what people have been raising on here is making me start to believe that they are not going to do a "Heroines" line as it starting to sound very "left field" but who knows I could be totally wrong. In the meantime I am hoping for at least another LE to come out soon or at least before Ariel as we are way past due one.

Last edited:
I personally think Jane and Ariel resemble each other much more than Jane and Belle. They both have round blue eyes and thin lips whereas Belle's brown eyes tilt upward at the corners and her lips are fuller. The only similarity between Belle and Jane is the yellow dress and the hair which even then are different shades of brown.

OK why isn't ANITA getting any love here? She is a perfect companion to Cruella. And Roger for if heroes ever get made. ANITA! ANITA! ANITA! ANITA! ROGER! ROGER! ROGER!

While Heroes hasn't even been discussed (hence why there has been a lack of Roger), I think the reason Anita isn't mentioned is because...as cool as she is, she wouldn't work. When I think of 101 Dalmatians, most people I know think about either the dalmatians themselves or Cruella, Anita isn't very well known, even if she would counter Cruella very well. If they released a set with Anita in it, I would go so far as to say Anita would sell the worst BY FAR. While I think they could definitely use her coat, glass, and hat look for inspiration, in and of herself, I don't see much that is really definable from anyone else.

In terms of the other heroines mentioned, they all have something very defined that easily set them apart from the pack:

Merida - The iconic curly red locks that was so praised in Brave
Megara - While the pink isn't anything special, they could really work her into a toga and her signature front hair flip
Alice - Alice's looks is very similar to Anita's in the right photo, but Alice is leagues more iconic and popular than Anita
Tinker Bell - There was a designer photo posted for her a few pages ago that I think would look great and allow her to keep her wings
Esmerelda - Being a gypsy, she gets to have a design similar to Jasmine, her tambourine is also a great way to define her
Giselle - While I honestly don't think Giselle has anything that is inherently special about her, I'm shocked to say that in her white dress, no other princess really looks like her. If they chose her pink dress in the beginning, she has a headband made from vines that is very different.
Vanellope - not only are her colors distinct, but the candy is very special

Those are just examples I thought of, Anita, while nice, is really just a normal lady with blonde hair. She doesn't have a special accessory or dress that makes it easy to know "OH THAT'S ANITA!" and she'd end up having the same problem the princes have. In order to know it is her, you'd probably have to give her something to hold and depending on the item that is being held isn't the best thing since the accessory is so small Her look in her raincoat is similar to Jane Porter while her look at home is closer to something I could see on Alice (and Disney would never make Anita over Alice).

I'm not saying she isn't worthy, she deserves more of a spot than the lesser-known ones who don't sell as well like Eilowny and Kida (even though I personally would LOVE to see Kida more) because 101 Dalmatians is so popular. However, the problem with Anita is her look, she may have 2 outfits, but neither outfit is really iconic, they are just normal things any lady in NYC would wear and aren't inspired by a culture or a time period.

Last edited:
Digging back through the posts, the Designer Villains logo was made public on June 25th last year. However there was no D23 convention last year. Not sure if we will get a heads up in June, if not we are still a ways out from August

I don't think the Villains line can be marked a failure. With the higher price for the dolls, we don't know if Disney made their money back or not (they probably did) but the higher Edition size was done to appease the customers. If Disney didn't do something, customers would have complained. Disney finally listened to us and should at least be given gratitude for trying to make sales of an LE collectible work better.

As for character selections. I don't know anymore. I hear all the points - and in the end the line could be something we aren't even thinking of. I try to think in logic, but anything could happen. Looking up some dolls of Jane - while the yellow dress was the main one, they often had her in her violet underclothes. It'd be much better to make something using that color as the base for a dress so it can look different from Belle.

If you notice all the designer artwork, Princesses and Villains - their eyes are all closed or look closed. This would be the same for Jane, and I think in that way she "might" look too similar to Belle. However the dolls eyes would be open. If Disney goes back to the original LE sizes I could see Jane maybe coming out, but not at LE 13k or even 10k.

Still, that means Jane journals, shirts, mugs - would people buy them?

That's why I have hope for Jessica. I think that kind of merchandise with her on it would sell. There are newer Jessica pieces coming out this summer which are lower end price points (Britto bust, cookie Jar, Etc) - I'm hoping that means the rights issues to the character got a little looser and making it possible for more merchandise.

People haven't mentioned Sally from Nightmare in the line - if it's a Leading Ladies series. I'd love to see what they could come up for her to wear and think she is also quite sellable in that secondary line.

I'd also say possibly Princess Leia in the series, but I think the acquisition of Lucasfilm and Star Wars happened a little to late, unless they knew beforehand it was a sure thing.

I definitely feel confused with "this is for adults VS. this is for kids" coming up. It seems to be back and fourth. While on one hand we are dealing with the fanbase of any character (be it kids or adults) I don't think the Designer Princesses were made intentionally for kids - in fact I don't think Disney had any idea it would be a success or not. But I think the intention was aimed at collectors/adults. Same with the Villains. So shouldn't the third series be approached the same way? The benefit to the Princesses was that girls would like it and it's something that an adult would by for them. I think there is an underestimating in the Doll Collecting community. It's huge - and I think they are more hardcore than pin collectors and much bigger of a community - and more are adults. If the doll looks amazing, it's worth the buy.

Either way, whatever characters are made - they have to be sellable in that secondary line of the makeup and journals etc, which I think Disney would continue with.

People haven't mentioned Sally from Nightmare in the line - if it's a Leading Ladies series. I'd love to see what they could come up for her to wear and think she is also quite sellable in that secondary line.

How did I not think of her?!!? She is almost INSTANTLY in the lineup if they had one. Not only is NBC very popular, but Sally fits very well into the line and I would love to see something inspired by her. On that note, how would people feel about one based on Elizabeth Swann from PoC or even on Quorra from Tron: Legacy. While I don't know if either are popular enough, I'm not the only one who would to see the design for a Designer Quorra. She may not be popular but I bet her outfit would look AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is true the possibilities are endless if they did a designer heroine line. With the princesses its easy because there are only 10(soon to be 11) official princesses so 10 dolls. With the villains the most popular ones are Maleficent, Ursula, Cruella and the Evil Queen. The Queen of Hearts is also fairly popular and Mother Gothel is new enough and Tangled popular enough for people to know who she is. Lady Tremaine is well known and popular enough but her design isn't as interesting as Maleficent, Cruella, Ursula or even the Queen of Hearts. Nor is she as glamorous as the Evil Queen or Gothel and her character is very subtle and cold as opposed to the bigger personalities of Ursula, Cruella, QoH, Gothel and she isn't magical like Maleficent or the Queen. So I can see why she was excluded. And the likes of Madame Medusa, Mad Madam Mim and Yzma are pretty much forgotten. Well Yzma is remember but she would have looked too much like Ursula if the made her. So 6 dolls!

With the heroines there are soooooo many possibilities. You have the obvious choices Sally, Megara, Esmeralda, Tink, Alice, Merida. You have the maybe they could be used choices Wendy, Jane, Vanellope, Jessica Rabbit. You have the unlikely but hey why not choices Kida, Giselle, Eilonwy, Princess Leia. There are just so many choices that it makes it much more exciting for us as collectors. But also much more risky on Disney's part. Honestly I would go with the first 6 I mentioned and thrown in Jessica Rabbit. They seem to be the most popular and well known of the "non-princess heroines." Well excluding Merida because she is a princess.

OH MY GOD! We've all been so busy clamoring on about Jane and Giselle that we never thought of Sally, Elizabeth, or Quorra!! You two are awesome for bringing them up! I would LOVE to see what they could do with Sally and Quorra!! Sally being all patchwork of glamorous fabrics and concepts. Quorra being in sleek black with bright blue lining and piping. (And since they know that the doll would be photographed like crazy, they could even use that fabric that looks like it glows when hit by flash.)
Elizabeth could be really pretty...but I'd be going in to that character selection with a bias simply because I don't care for the actress that played her. (So, I can't comment subjectively)

I dunno, we all could be horribly off and wrong with all these speculations, but all this speculation is actually getting me really excited!

It just hit me last night -- with the upcoming releases of Aladdin and The Little Mermaid, maybe the new "line" could be from one of these?! Seems more possible to me than a random doll of Kida, Eilonwy (not even a chance), or Jane. TLM seems like more of a fit to be a designer line.... I can see Ariel and her sisters, human Ariel and Vanessa. But then who does really know except Disney? Just something I thought that might be a logical choice $$$ wise and it would coincide with a release... I'm sorry, but once again I just truly, truly, truly do not believe Disney will throw money away making thousands of dolls of random characters from older not-so-mainstream movies.

Wow Tarnation that image is great. I love how the artist used the same underlying theme but changed each one accordingly to highlight main features of each character. I also like how they even have male equivalents which is a pretty interesting take on the characters.

Jrsinger I do agree that it is unlikely that Disney will release designers based on the "other" female characters but to be honest i still hope that they will, I mean the fact that they did a designer princess line was a risk as it was something completely new and I still think there is enough of a market out there for them to sell whatever line they decide to release (so long as if the edition size is not rediculously high again).

In my opinion I think it is more likely that they will base it on the other characters rather than the TLM cast, mainly because no one really knows Ariel's sisters so you can imagine that the Ariel doll will be the most popular and the other people would probably not really care for as very few know who they are. I am pretty sure as well that there are very few people that would be able to name each sister.

i honestly think that with Merida being inaugurated there is bound to be something released with Merida included in it. So if they do a designer line I am pretty confident Merida will be in it, that's for sure. Thing is they can't really put Merida in a "Heroines" line as she is part of the "Princess" line so it would confuse people later down the track.

i just had a thought. They could do a Pixar line?? Maybe not as designer dolls but as something else. This way they could release something Merida related without having to create a new group/line and temporarily include Merida in the line so that they can release her this year.

Maybe they might even just have a single Designer Doll this year? Unlikely I know, but now she is a Princess, Merida pretty much NEEDS to be in the Designer Princess line, I think... if not, I am certainly trying my hand at a custom! :lol:

Last edited:
Haute Couture Princesses/Heroines/Villains? I'm down!!
but I don't think Disney would allow it On the whole the Designer Princess collection was safe and modest. Realistically I don't see the characters being portrayed this way, even though I think it could be fresh and awesome. I was a little surprised they took such liberties with the villains- some of them (ahem-Cruella) were pretty racy. So I might be mistaken, but they'll probably go for a different approach. Love the concept though!

I would want princes ONLY if they do them justice and don't get lazy.
I think Heroines or Fairies would look cool, but there might be concern about their marketability, as others have said. I do think Merida would be included if there were to be another Designer collection.
And I know it wouldn't happen, but I'd love to see something of Lotte and/or Tiger Lily, two of my fav supporting ladies.
What if they're leaving the Designer collections behind entirely? Maybe starting with something fresh?

Status
Not open for further replies.