• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DOLLS 2022 Limited Edition Dolls

DOLLS 2022 Limited Edition Dolls
Curious...did all the designer dolls not online go to outlets? Give me a break with Pocahontas and Jasmine being online a year and Cinderella "sold out". I don't think Cinderella was ever really a part of a big sale either. Just curious. I don't think any of the 17" dolls will go on sale anytime soon (just basing that on past doll releases prior to 2021). Maybe the old designers will "pop" back up for black friday, but I feel they have gone to parks and some have said they have seen them at outlets. Really bad optics seeing a doll at an outlet imo.

Meh. I feel your viewpoint, but this is absolutely not new. Everything Disney does is cyclical and they either seldom learn from past mistakes or they just overcompensate for them, creating new mistakes.

Were you around for "dollmageddon"? I'm guessing not. The original designer princess line (2009, was it?) was actually limited edition and blew people's damn minds. Chaos, carnage, disappointment, disaster. So when Disney did the first designer villains line, they ramped up the edition size. And either no one cared or Disney just reallllyyyy overestimated how many dolls would prevent a repeat of dollmageddon (or both). But they could not *give away* those villains dolls. They all went on massive clearance or ended up at outlets, etc. And they STILL took forever to sell out.

So this is nothing new. Disney sees people complaining about how they can't get the LE merch they want, and then Disney somehow manages to think the answer is not a reasonable increase in edition size to balance collectibility with accessibility but rather to produce 10,000 of something when maybe 6,000 would do.

Which means, according to history, the next LE thing will be more limited. And then people will complain they can't get it, and then Disney will .....

This is not commentary directed at anyone on either side of the conversation ("make more so I can get one" vs "don't make too many or it's not special"). It's just a comment on how Disney operates in response to that conversation. They just ping and pong between "not enough" and "too much" and never seem to guess right. For a major corporation with decades of merchandising experience, they are pretty stupid pretty often.

Last edited:
Meh. I feel your viewpoint, but this is absolutely not new. Everything Disney does is cyclical and they either seldom learn from past mistakes or they just overcompensate for them, creating new mistakes.

Were you around for "dollmageddon"? I'm guessing not. The original designer princess line (2009, was it?) was actually limited edition and blew people's damn minds. Chaos, carnage, disappointment, disaster. So when Disney did the first designer villains line, they ramped up the edition size. And either no one cared or Disney just reallllyyyy overestimated how many dolls would prevent a repeat of dollmageddon (or both). But they could not *give away* those villains dolls. They all went on massive clearance or ended up at outlets, etc. And they STILL took forever to sell out.

So this is nothing new. Disney sees people complaining about how they can't get the LE merch they want, and then Disney somehow manages to think the answer is not a reasonable increase in edition size to balance collectibility with accessibility but rather to produce 10,000 of something when maybe 6,000 would do.

Which means, according to history, the next LE thing will be more limited. And then people will complain they can't get it, and then Disney will .....

This is not commentary directed at anyone on either side of the conversation ("make more so I can get one" vs "don't make too many or it's not special"). It's just a comment on how Disney operates in response to that conversation. They just ping and pong between "not enough" and "too much" and never seem to guess right. For a major corporation with decades of merchandising experience, they are pretty stupid pretty often.
100% agree with you. They are watching the dollar (which I guess makes sense) but at the same time, when dealing with sell out collectibles, you want that too - not a non-collectable that is collecting dust in your warehouse. Still annoyed I paid full price for Jasmine this past year when i could have gotten her for around 50 or 60 - whatever. These were like BOGO...if you timed it right.

I was there for dollmageddon (2011 regarding the designers). I remember before the chaos, I was in Disney Store and saw Ariel on display (I think she was the 2nd release)...but they had both her and Cinderella in stock - and the sales associate was telling me about them - I really liked both of them, but if I had to pick one - Ariel... but $59?? And I passed, LOL. "For the love!" I know! I was there when the site crashed doll #4 or 5 and they decided to take a few weeks off and figure out how to release. I was there in line at Disney Store when they decided to release the final 5 dolls all at once - (I think I was around 200th in line, 2 hours before opening....but only the first 50 or so got dolls that day )...and I tried the next day for online release only to have the site crash again for 3 or so hours worth of trying. No dice. The guys in front of me in line at the store were not doll collectors, and were talking about Ariel selling for $800 on eBay. So I checked - sure enough...there were several Ariels that had sold for $400+ and yep, one was right around $800. To me, this is how dollmageddon came about....some collectors and mostly eBayers trying to get the doll before it went to eBay for 3-5x the price. (but really, only Ariel got the crazy numbers...the rest were up, but no where near as high as her) So when Disney up'd the doll price $20 bucks and had 13,000 LE count for the villains... I thought that might backfire, because I was able to get 2 princesses for less than cost on eBay a couple of months after their release-post Christmas...sellers were dropping their price because the rush was gone. Then the next Christmas online at ShopDisney - Mother Gothel was marked down to $20 bucks.

So you are right - Disney watches, responds in greed, then pays because they don't know how to stick with making a collectable. But I've never seen a doll go as low as $20 since the Villains. So I kinda had that in the back of my head watching these - but they went 40% and then all got pulled. So I just wondered...why the outlets or the parks, or wherever they went after a year of trying to sell them, why not Black Friday the heck out of them. I was just ready to pounce on their mistake, lol. But they can sell them for more elsewhere I guess....just not on shopdisney, with free ship, cash back, and 40% off. I also saw Mulan at Art of Disney a month ago. She 'sold out' a while ago. Shady.

Glue can yellow over time, so if there was a spray adhesive all over something that might yellow over time. But I don't think white fabric will yellow...it's something on the fabric (unseen from handling...hand lotion, oils, air freshener spray landing on it etc.) that would yellow. She would need to go on a top shelf maybe :)
Ahh, good point. The stuff that settles or touches the dress is what causes it to yellow. So if dust were to get on it, I should be able to blow it off or something. We have forced air on our ceilings. It's the worst for dust in a house. I guess if I got a white fabric doll and I want to take her out of the box, I'd probably have to get an acrylic case to display her. Or just never take her out of the box. Thank you for the good tip!

Zhanneel, if you are still deciding...Honey bonus $25 cash back just popped up for Snow White :p
Oh uuughhhh, the temptation is very strong. I will think about it, especially if there is a nice cash back offer. Thanks for letting me know!

Oh uuughhhh, the temptation is very strong. I will think about it, especially if there is a nice cash back offer. Thanks for letting me know!
I just ordered...it "said" up to 12% cash back also....I will report in what the actual cash-back was when I see it.

Just checking back in from my previous post....cash back was 2% (bummer....in the past when it said up to 12% I got the full amount on a limited doll). So all in all, about 30 bucks off for Snow a few days after her release....bringing her to last years full regular price - smh

Curious...did all the designer dolls not online go to outlets? Give me a break with Pocahontas and Jasmine being online a year and Cinderella "sold out". I don't think Cinderella was ever really a part of a big sale either. Just curious. I don't think any of the 17" dolls will go on sale anytime soon (just basing that on past doll releases prior to 2021). Maybe the old designers will "pop" back up for black friday, but I feel they have gone to parks and some have said they have seen them at outlets. Really bad optics seeing a doll at an outlet imo.
I’ve seen them all except for Cindy and Ariel

I believe 11/22/22 they go on sale.
someone correct me if im wrong please!

4550424744401-8

Last edited:
They are live

They are live

Holy cow, with no announcement on their site! ALSO...Honey has 24% Cash Back today in Toys & Games. (not a bonus offer, just the cash back like Rakuten)....so I don't want to say for sure - BUT I got the full 12% Cash back with Merida when it was "toys and games" cash back. So I don't know....might work on these or any other doll someone is considering. These are out of my price range - but I do like them :)

Holy cow, with no announcement on their site! ALSO...Honey has 24% Cash Back today in Toys & Games. (not a bonus offer, just the cash back like Rakuten)....so I don't want to say for sure - BUT I got the full 12% Cash back with Merida when it was "toys and games" cash back. So I don't know....might work on these or any other doll someone is considering. These are out of my price range - but I do like them :)
If I hadn’t bought the mark ryden Barbie I prob would have done this lol

But waiting for Ariel

If I hadn’t bought the mark ryden Barbie I prob would have done this lol

But waiting for Ariel
I just looked up Mark Ryden Barbie ... o_Oo_Oo_O. I just happened to see a pic of that the other day, but didn't pay too much attention. Wow! Made me think of Mab Graves when I saw it. (the pink one) I like.

I just looked up Mark Ryden Barbie ... o_Oo_Oo_O. I just happened to see a pic of that the other day, but didn't pay too much attention. Wow! Made me think of Mab Graves when I saw it. (the pink one) I like.
I got the pink pop one!

Ooh, are you a Barbie collector or just a Mark Ryden fan or both?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I collect more dolls that I like the design of, not necessarily Barbie even tho I have a few, but love his art!

Overall I think this is a much better doll than the first one. I love these colors so much. And I love the nod to her sparkly dress at the end of the movie. I will probably end up buying this doll I think. I returned the first version because I thought was bland. But this doll has embroidery and a weighty fabric. I like it.

Of course, I am still going to nitpick it. :p Like would it hurt the designers to have a group critique designs before they go out the door? The flower is just awkward. I'll remove that. And some of the colors are clashing. Maybe a different purple would have been better? Just somethings are out of balance and the designer could have fixed that with a little help.

Barring all that, I will probably get her, lol.

Overall I think this is a much better doll than the first one. I love these colors so much. And I love the nod to her sparkly dress at the end of the movie. I will probably end up buying this doll I think. I returned the first version because I thought was bland. But this doll has embroidery and a weighty fabric. I like it.

Of course, I am still going to nitpick it. :p Like would it hurt the designers to have a group critique designs before they go out the door? The flower is just awkward. I'll remove that. And some of the colors are clashing. Maybe a different purple would have been better? Just somethings are out of balance and the designer could have fixed that with a little help.

Barring all that, I will probably get her, lol.
I really wanna see a more HD photo to really see how good the quality may be

Sorry to go against the pack, but this Ariel’s probably my least favorite of the whole collection I really don’t like her :/ Even though she’s got embroidery, there’s still something about her that makes me think ‘play line’. She kinda reminds me of the Hasbro style dolls. Definitely a pass for me.

Sorry to go against the pack, but this Ariel’s probably my least favorite of the whole collection I really don’t like her :/ Even though she’s got embroidery, there’s still something about her that makes me think ‘play line’. She kinda reminds me of the Hasbro style dolls. Definitely a pass for me.
Oh not a problem, I can see issues with this Ariel too and can imagine how she looks to different discerning eyes. It seems like these dolls are either hit and miss, and it differs for everyone. Looking at her design in total it could use alterations for sure.

I completely understand. I think this doll is very pretty for what she is but I’ll be saving my money. I definitely agree that she looks like one of the style dolls from Hasbro, which isn’t a bad thing, just not what I’m looking for. That dress is fabulous, but it just feels like Ariel in a nice purple dress, nothing unique or particular to the character. If they were going for the “Finale Ariel coming out of the water” concept , then I personally feel that they already executed that concept better with the previous doll but that’s just my subjective opinion. I do LOVE her face though. Honestly, I Might consider getting her later if she goes on sale to use for customizing.

Ariel has purple strands mixed in her hair - kinda diff. Are those little fork earrings? Cute. She's not all glossy sweaty looking this time (though she is a mermaid)...I like the gloss removed. I think if her make up was more dramatic, or maybe that shimmered a little around her eyes, I would like her better. The biggest thing for me is....we already did this. They should make an honest commercial - "We released super unique Venus-style Ariel earlier this year, but after multiple tries and discounts she headed over to the outlets. So how about this one?? Full price, lower qty, anyone?" Sheesh, part 2 doll makes you kinda forget about the first one. I'm glad they didn't do this for the premier dolls. There are so many glam outfits from an era they could have kept pushing on us...but there is only one. I like it that way. But she's cute...

Back