• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

A better, brighter DSF lineup idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
A better, brighter DSF lineup idea
I have read all the post and commented on some. Everyone is making comments on benefiting "us", making it better for "us" to get pins, for "us" to make one trip, for "us" to walk in and get a pin with the least hassle as a pin collector/seller/trader.

As DSF reads this thread, I have not read one that actually benefits DSF in sales/profit. They are not going to change a thing unless it brings $ in the register.

The focal point is "us" the consumer. As we all know, DLR, WDW and WDI have had this situation prior. Nothing has ever changed to benefit "us" . Online registration made lines manageable and gave them an exact number and location and time to be at. A month notification gives them the time to staff an event. "WE" usually manage our own lines.

Stand behind the DSF counter and think of how to sell pins, sell incremental sales and keep the customer complaints below 3% total customer count. If anyone can come up with an idea, they will actually listen. They are not a standalone business. DSF does go to Disney meeting to be coached, trained, input and share experiences that have or can arise.

Some reading this are Cast Members or know some of them. Think of "The Four Keys" and they will change the way we buy pins and still having them make sales/profit.

I have read all the post and commented on some. Everyone is making comments on benefiting "us", making it better for "us" to get pins, for "us" to make one trip, for "us" to walk in and get a pin with the least hassle as a pin collector/seller/trader.

As DSF reads this thread, I have not read one that actually benefits DSF in sales/profit. They are not going to change a thing unless it brings $ in the register.

The focal point is "us" the consumer. As we all know, DLR, WDW and WDI have had this situation prior. Nothing has ever changed to benefit "us" . Online registration made lines manageable and gave them an exact number and location and time to be at. A month notification gives them the time to staff an event. "WE" usually manage our own lines.

Stand behind the DSF counter and think of how to sell pins, sell incremental sales and keep the customer complaints below 3% total customer count. If anyone can come up with an idea, they will actually listen. They are not a standalone business. DSF does go to Disney meeting to be coached, trained, input and share experiences that have or can arise.

Some reading this are Cast Members or know some of them. Think of "The Four Keys" and they will change the way we buy pins and still having them make sales/profit.

ok... go back to day before: when people start to line up, distribute wristbands like they did for the brave release.

Friday release would mean thursday evening line up starts, distribute wristbands at that time, first come first serve. number the wristbands. That way folks can go sleep in their car until 5am formal lineup with number wrist band attached.

currently if its a friday release people are lining up wednesday night for thursday wristbands for a friday release. UG.... not good for the company or the customers.

Actually, my idea of the lottery that you go into the store to sign up for suits them FAR better than what they are doing now.

You give people a week (or a month even, whatever) to come INTO the store to sign up for the drawing. They are _IN_ the store now...

It's spread out over a week (or whatever) so during that time you have an increase in customers entering the store, and it's spread out so it's not a huge mob showing up at once. There's no rush, people can come on their schedule, etc...

They way they do it now, they get 75-150 people camping out in an alley... Largely when the store is closed. How does that benefit them? Most people get their wristbands, then go home to sleep (the morning crowd at least). How does that benefit them? A percentage might go into the store to buy a PTD or something, but only a percentage... With the sign up system, _everyone_ has to enter the store. I think 150-300+ extra people entering the store over the period of a week is MUCH better than a small percentage of 75 or so entering all at once. (Figuring the 7am crowd just leaves, so it's the 7pm crowd that might stay for PTDs/meals/stuff).

Sure the drawing is kind of drawback in itself (to us), but I still think it would still benefit the store...

And think of kids... How many Angelenos have little kids, that collect pins, but don't like the idea of having their kids camping out with them in an alley? How many of you would then bring your kids to the store with you when you wanted to sign up? I'm pretty sure kids are the store's target market... There's potential there...

Last edited:
Master...read my post reply on why never announcing a pins release (make them all surprise releases) is better business for DSF.

ok... go back to day before: when people start to line up, distribute wristbands like they did for the brave release.

I would love if they did this again! I use to be able to drive down from San Francisco for releases cause taking one day off is a lot more doable than two! The only release I have been to since these releases require a two day commitment is Monsters Inc because that's my main collection. I think the "first come, first serve" is the fairest. With the flyers, we know what's going to be released so we can plan accordingly (request time off, pre-trade, etc.). As for camping out, I doubt any method will eliminate it. People camping out for a popular releases is a pretty common practice and not DSF specific. Look at lines for sneakers, Apple releases, new game systems, Black Friday deals, etc.

If DSF does start doing releases like the Brave one, I wonder if it would be profitable for them to open the theater all night? Like have a marathon and sell movie tickets? I would totally pay extra to watch a movie/keep warm/nap in the theater instead of the car or alley!

Also, I wouldn't like the 1 per limit rule. After driving 6+ hours and waiting in line all night, I want to be able to have at least one to keep and one to trade!

My suggestion says to make more pins, more pins is more profit. Also, your basically inviting people to come buy pins even if they are sold out. Also, spreading out the time to show up will ease the congestion and stress on DSF staff and get people in the door around lunch hours and they may buy food then too.

Why they SHOULD do is throw us in a big empty lot somewhere with swords,axes,spears, and shields. And the remaining 150 people get a spot in line. Plus a free movie, popcorn, and soda.

I'm thinking that any sort of record keeping or keeping track of member numbers, running lotteries, etc..., is not very attractive to the DSF person who would have to manage all of that. Not to mention the extra costs related to time and expenses to run any of those ideas.

Let's just assume that there will always be lines for these pins, due to the low LE counts. I don't think the low LE counts are going to go away, so we will simply have to work with the baseline system we have now.

Why not simply tweak the wristband distribution times?

The evening one can remain, as the early birds will line up early and be there already to get the first 75.

Move the morning one to night.

What this should do is effectively shift the line ups closer to the release date. Extended camp outs will be reduced and most of the distribution times would be shifted to after normal working hours.

It's an easy tweak and shouldn't require any more effort on DSF's part.

i do not really understand how the online wristbands were not the best. The way it worked for Ginger breed pins was. you got a email to come get your WB. If you were picked you would for sure get a pin. If there was any pins left after the wb ppl are done. than they sale to who ever wants them. Since it was all set up by time and WB there is no time or need for fights. Also no need for big line ups.

Ok.. now to the post b4 that said 5o fake ppl will win. I really dont know how that works??? If you know sum way to win all the online drawings... Please pleae do share. Oh even if you can just get me 50 wins for one contest..thats fun to. Lets do it. I will take 2 for my fam and you can have the other 48 since you did all the hard work and know the secret to win so many times so easy. :anxious::facepalm:

Last edited:
i do not really understand how the online wristbands were not the best. The way it worked for Ginger breed pins was. you got a email to come get your WB. If you were picked you would for sure get a pin. If there was any pins left after the wb ppl are done. than they sale to who ever wants them. Since it was all set up by time and WB there is no time or need for fights. Also no need for big line ups.

Ok.. now to the post b4 that said 5o fake ppl will win. I really dont know how that works??? If you know sum way to win all the online drawings... Please pleae do share. Oh even if you can just get me 50 wins for one contest..thats fun to. Lets do it. I will take 2 for my fam and you can have the other 48 since you did all the hard work and know the secret to win so many times so easy. :anxious::facepalm:

What they do is sign up 50 fake people. Then when, say, 10 of their fake names get picked. They know they can go get in the stand by line and get more. Often, they themselves get picked, plus their fake people. So they will get their pins and then go into the standby line to see how close to the front they are. If 10 of their fake names were picked, they know they can be 1-10 in the standby line and get more because 10 fake people won't show up. That is why you need a "DSF Shopper number" or something like that. Where you either have to sign up in person with photo ID, or for kids with their parents. Or if you sign up online you have to mail a photocopy of ID. So each person can only sign up once. If you have lots of friends you can talk into signing up, then you have an advantage, but they would have to be willing to go if their name is picked.

I don't think it would be too difficult or cost too much. How many websites require a username and password, that's all this is. Then they need a way to check who's logged in. I think Facebook even has a giveaway feature DSF could use. Maybe it's called "Sweepstakes" or something. But not everyone can have Facebook, little kids can't so maybe that doesn't work now that I think about it. Still, can't be much to add a log-in feature to their webpage and have a sign up for releases and use a randomizer to pick names. Just make sure you limit how someone gets a shopper number by requiring ID or photo. Then keep track of releases and if say, the same person doesn't show up for 3 in a row they are picked for without explanation then delete their account. We can't have people in say, Paris sign up. They will never come. So they have to be local, or if they are willing to travel, they have to come when they are picked. So people from Paris can sign up, but if the are picked and don't show, the they get removed, for say, a year or something.

Move the morning one to night.

What this should do is effectively shift the line ups closer to the release date. Extended camp outs will be reduced and most of the distribution times would be shifted to after normal working hours.

It's an easy tweak and shouldn't require any more effort on DSF's part.

Which in essence is hand out wristbands the night before the release. instead of waiting for a certain time, just hand them out as people show up

Which in essence is hand out wristbands the night before the release. instead of waiting for a certain time, just hand them out as people show up

Pretty much. All this day early stuff is because people want the bands given out at 7am. If you moved the band distribution starting time to the late afternoon or evening, people will still line up but it will be later and closer to that first distribution time. It's a simple tweak that wouldn't require a revamp of the whole system now in place.

A great thread, Psycho Pixie .. something definately needs to be changed ... its madness what you guys go through to get pins ... of course I dont have any experience of it and cant suggest anything, but the higher edition size sounds great.

All this day early stuff is because people want the bands given out at 7am.

Yes, especially on the pin trading events, if you are in the second half group, there is hardly any time for pin trading. There were people this last week whom I had never met before that had great stuff to trade. I had a blast. Even though I was only 1 number away from winning the princess beloved tales pins. :suspect: I sense a conspiracy here!!!! :eek2: I have yet to win, and yet every time have been exactly 1 number away. there is a plot among the CKC!!!!! :suspect: LOL!!!

Will somebody be talking with DSF management at the upcoming release with any of the proposals discussed here? As other members and myself have said, it has to be a proposal that makes better busine$$ sense for DSF to even consider changing their current release system. I'm very much in favor of never announcing the releases and have them on any given day, not just Thursdays or Saturdays. If nothing else, they must be made aware that their current system of "forcing" people to camp out is an extreme safety concern and liability for their business. I'd be shocked if they aren't already aware of it, but they seem to be relying on luck...since no major incident has happened yet at one of these events. "Forcing" is the correct word. Sure, it's up to each individual whether or not you want to camp out...that's each person's choice. However, by announcing the release dates and wristband distribution it "forces" overnights. There's no way around it. My suggestion would be to have a different, trusted pin person talk with DSF management. If you know the manager's name or what he/she looks like (I'm going to make an assumption here that may be right or wrong.), then you've probably already made suggestions to her/him. Send in a new face. Is there anybody that will be at the release that's also a public (storefront) business owner or better yet, a lawyer? If so, send that person to talk them. No business owner would want people camping out in front or beside their store. There are sooo many legal issues and risks associated with it. And if you're going to say, "Don't you think Disney lawyers are aware of DSF?". Yep, I'm sure they are, but how many times in today's world does it take an accident or tragedy to occur before change is made....even when you knew it was an accident waiting to happen all along.

I beg to differ with the statement, "No business owner would want people camping out in front or beside their store." Black Friday businesses do this all the time and encourage the hype and lineups. Theater owners know that a major movie release is likely to result in campouts too.

No one is forced to do anything. Paranoia encourages people to campout. But no one is going to lose anything vital to their ability to live, if they miss a pin event. Campouts are by choice and can never be argued that someone will literally die if they don't campout.

Just saying...

My point is that the current system forces campouts. It's not just paranoia. True pins aren't live or die. Does it even sound like a smart idea to campout in an ally in Hollywood? I have to disagree with your black friday and theater references. Most black Friday sales now begin on Thanksgiving night, not on black Friday itself. Theaters have midnight releases. Both have greatly reduced, if not eliminated overnight stays. They made changes because major problems actually happened at both of these references. It's like I said before, it's sad that it takes an accident or tragedy to cause change when you knew it was an accident waiting to happen all along.

sorry.. i must not b getting sumthing.. So if i read right. The online sign ups can be faked. Just put in all kinds of fake names and than u win and u go get extra pins from the stand by line??

1) so how do you get to keep puting in more names. When i did the gingerbreed pins you went to the disney web site and you could enter one time. i guess if i had 50 lap tops and 50 emails i could try to enter more. But that seems like a lot of work.

2) how the heck would some one know how many other ppl will b in standby and even in stand by line. they dont just let you buy up all the left over pins.. 2 pins per sale... as always....

As I see it, there are only 2 ways to eliminate campouts.

1) Everything's a Surprise release that can happen on any given day
2) Some sort of online or in store sign up system before each release

I agree with kt07. Disney can figure out a way to have an online registration system that would eliminate losers submitting fake names. People would have to show valid ID or multiple ID's. It's not that difficult.

Last edited:
sorry.. i must not b getting sumthing.. So if i read right. The online sign ups can be faked. Just put in all kinds of fake names and than u win and u go get extra pins from the stand by line??

1) so how do you get to keep puting in more names. When i did the gingerbreed pins you went to the disney web site and you could enter one time. i guess if i had 50 lap tops and 50 emails i could try to enter more. But that seems like a lot of work.

To make $100s (maybe even $1000s depending on the pin)? No, it's not a lot of work. I can just make up 20 Emails address through my service provider, it only takes a few minutes. I have my own website domain, I can create as many Email addresses on that as I want, so there's an instant unlimited Emails at my disposal, and it wouldn't cost me anything more than I'm already spending...

2) how the heck would some one know how many other ppl will b in standby and even in stand by line. they dont just let you buy up all the left over pins.. 2 pins per sale... as always....

They would just start lining up Thursday for the stand-by line like we do now... Knowing that they've entered a few hundred 'fake' names for people that will never show up insures that a fair amount of no-shows for the 150 wristbands will occur, and then it's just first in line like always. They are there with 3 family members and 4+ friends in tow to get 15-20 pins to sell on eBay... As always...

That's why signup would have to be more than just a name and Email address, and that, of course, adds to the complication of making the system work...

Ok. Let's say Disney can't figure out an online system to eliminate fake entries. The solution would be instead of only allowing 150 wristbands, make enough wristbands for every person who entered online. You stand in line, wait for your # to be called, show your ID proving who you are, and you get your pins. All fake entries would be wiped out because they can't show valid id. No more campouts. You simply show up a half hour before they open and get in line based on the # that they sent you from your online registration.

Also to satisfy the busine$$ part of it, propose that DSF would have some type of charge for online registration. Whether it's $25 a year or $5 a release...something because they aren't going to change things just to satisfy pin traders without there being some sort of profit for them. By having a charge for online registration it would also reduce the # of fake entries.

Last edited:
Ok. Let's say Disney can't figure out an online system to eliminate fake entries. The solution would be instead of only allowing 150 wristbands, make enough wristbands for every person who entered online. You stand in line, wait for your # to be called, show your ID proving who you are, and you get your pins. All fake entries would be wiped out because they can't show valid id. No more campouts. You simply show up a half hour before they open and get in line based on the # that they sent you from your online registration.

Although a valid point the problem with raffles and other random generators is that certain people will be left without a chance to purchase these pins. (A chance in the sense that they didn't get chosen for a wristband so it is (almost) impossible to attain the pin they want). This will create problems because lets say that Pin Trader A ONLY collects a certain theme, he/she enters and doesn't get chosen so instead of taking his or her chances and waiting in line taking his own time to plan accordingly for something he/she loves, now he/she has to over trade / over buy for something he/she could have purchased.

The first come, first serve basis works because (in a perfect world) with releases given out weeks in advance everyone has a chance to plan accordingly, which in some cases (more than none) means you have to plan to camp out. No one is saying camping out is a great system but it proves the desirability of the pins both for collectors and sellers. We didn't go to the Tinker Bell release but we saw those for weeks and I don't think anyone camped out for those either.

And if you're talking business plan camping out is probably great for them as it enforces the idea that their designs and ultimately the Disney product (that goes along with the showing of a movie -and DVD release-) has great influence over people because they almost always sell out in the 1-3 days. Yes there is a liability issue to DSF but police have been there for event lines (and they only played the NBC theme) and there is security present to minimize those risks. Not to mention that aside from few (are there?) bad apples, most pin traders are civil and understand that if someone is putting in more time than you to purchase those pins, they deserve to purchase them before you or better yet, have a better opportunity to be guaranteed those pins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back