• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Alice in Disneyland (Wonderland) event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alice in Disneyland (Wonderland) event
Like Masamune, I have had the three Cheshire Cat pins on my wants list since, well, since I was able to add them. Unfortunately, I was not able to get any of the pins, but what saddens and upsets me more than my rotten luck in not getting a wristband (especially since I think I was disqualified from the drawing from the beginning because of a glitch in my account and never had a chance) is what this release has turned/is turning into. Instead of being something that should be fun, it's turning into something, well, bitter, miserable, and ugly ... a real battle of the haves and have nots and who can turn a profit. I've been reading the thread since the beginning and, well, in places, we really are at each others' throats. If this is what the scene is like before the pins are released, I shudder to think of how tense and ugly the actual pin release is going to be - especially for the second chance line.

With the current atmosphere surrounding this pin release, I really can understand why people (not fortunate enough to be in the right group/any group) who can afford to would bite the proverbial bullet and pay those outrageous prices on evilBay. Yes, they are paying extortionate prices and submitting to something akin to robbery, but at least:

1. They know that they are guaranteed to get what they want

2. They don't have to go through the stress/frustration of waiting in the second chance line all day and still maybe not getting what they want

This is supposed to be fun, right? We're supposed to be excited about a pin release that finally will sell out in a day, about pins that finally will be worth something on the secondary market, right? Instead all we're doing is tearing each other apart over these pins and disecting what everyone does or does not do in association with this event, with each comment ratcheting the tension, hatred, and animosity surrounding this release just a little higher. So tell me, are we having fun yet?

+1 :bigthumb:

I just finished reading this thread from around Page 8 (when people were starting to get their notification e-mails). :( I can't believe that Margaret, one of the biggest Alice fans here, didn't get into a single group. Whilst some people got into Group 1 that may not even be able to go. It's just awful.

Its a RANDOM selection process. Just because they are a big collector doesn't mean they deserve anything. So a person who buys a lottery ticket every day deserves the to win the jackpot over a first time buyer? :dunno:

:wiggle: Life's tough...get a helmet.:wiggle:

Another frame just sold on eBay for $375. They are killing us. I hope they get what they deserve and they get their come-uppance. It's sad they feel the need to take advantage of the situation.

I'm confused. I would think that if someone wanted the frame and missed it, they should be wanting more to appear on eBay. Supply and demand, increase the supply there and prices will go down. As far as the prices on eBay, complaining abut the dollar amount seems pointless. Either its too high and the seller is just wasting their time and money which they are free to do, or it sells and that is market price. In all honesty, the eBay sellers actually make the set available to more people. It gives people who are unable to make it to the release a chance to get one and it gives those that are at the event and miss out a second chance at it.

I honestly see no difference between someone buying the pins to sell on eBay vs buying them for traders or buying them for someone else. All three have them buying pins for people other than themselves. Once someone buys a pin, who cares what they do with it. Feel free to complain all day long about how pins are released but who cares the reason behind why someone is buying a pin.

Its a RANDOM selection process. Just because they are a big collector doesn't mean they deserve anything. So a person who buys a lottery ticket every day deserves the to win the jackpot over a first time buyer? :dunno:

+1 :bigthumb:

I'm confused. I would think that if someone wanted the frame and missed it, they should be wanting more to appear on eBay. Supply and demand, increase the supply there and prices will go down. As far as the prices on eBay, complaining abut the dollar amount seems pointless. Either its too high and the seller is just wasting their time and money which they are free to do, or it sells and that is market price. In all honesty, the eBay sellers actually make the set available to more people. It gives people who are unable to make it to the release a chance to get one and it gives those that are at the event and miss out a second chance at it.

I honestly see no difference between someone buying the pins to sell on eBay vs buying them for traders or buying them for someone else. All three have them buying pins for people other than themselves. Once someone buys a pin, who cares what they do with it. Feel free to complain all day long about how pins are released but who cares the reason behind why someone is buying a pin.

I agree with you 100%
By my calculation you could purchase the frame set and all the other pins on EBAY for less then a Plane Ticket, Hotel Room and Expenses.
Glad to have EBAY Sellers & Buyers Especially the good ones, the ones you can trust.
This only helps are collections increase in value.

I've tried to stay out of this thread for some time now because of the tone it's been taking. But this was just one of the ugliest most selfish statements I've ever seen posted here and is symptomatic of what has happened to this hobby.

When I started out, we all rooted for people to get pins for their collection FIRST and people to get good traders SECOND.

Now it seems it's more and more about "me first and the #*&$ with the rest of you". It makes me so sad to remember that we used to be such a loving, supportive community and now it's more and more the above attitude of "I don't care if it's your collection or not so long as I get mine". Wow. :(

Margaret is one of my biggest pin "competitors" in that she and I are both Wonderland completists. But do I hope she gets a complete set of these pins without having to resort to crazy secondary prices? Darn right I do! Not because she "deserves" it, but because it's her collection and I'd rather see pins in a loving collection than swimming with the Bruces. Just as I'd rather seen Stitch pins go to the Stitch collectors, Tink pins to the Tink collectors, etc. Because they would LOVE them. Not because they "deserve" them.

I used to be so proud of the pin community - we supported each other, encouraged each other, cheered for each other. And now? Well, it's statements like the above that make me sad about the state of this community. I miss the kindness that used to come first. :(

I'm all about hoping fellow pin people who are big into themes getting lucky and getting what they want.
It's when they don't get their way and start whining and complaining that I post something like what I did. A sense of entitlement is where I become annoyed.

I hoped all DPF'ers who signed up got 1st round and that they could get everything. But it didn't happen that way, lets move on. It's still random!

I used to be so proud of the pin community - we supported each other, encouraged each other, cheered for each other. And now? Well, it's statements like the above that make me sad about the state of this community. I miss the kindness that used to come first. :(

So people attacking members like Patronus is ok, but me saying that a RSP is random and "the way the cookie crumbles" is detrimental to the community?

Margaret is one of my biggest pin "competitors" in that she and I are both Wonderland completists. But do I hope she gets a complete set of these pins without having to resort to crazy secondary prices? Darn right I do! Not because she "deserves" it, but because it's her collection and I'd rather see pins in a loving collection than swimming with the Bruces. Just as I'd rather seen Stitch pins go to the Stitch collectors, Tink pins to the Tink collectors, etc. Because they would LOVE them. Not because they "deserve" them.

Well, I think that's kind of what WDWJuan is saying, nobody should say they "deserve" a specific pin, but we all hope everyone gets what they like. I know I'm rooting for you guys to get the Alice pins you want, but I have to agree with the fact that nobody deserves a pin, and I don't see it as an attack or it being ugly.

Again, good luck with the release!

Not to stir the fire anymore and I am an alice collector who's proxy attendee only got a round 4 draft pick, but it's kinda funny how many times i've seen people say 'if it's meant to be it'll find its way into your pin book', but I guess that isn't true if it's a new release.

Just wanted to talk about how loooong it has taken me to get some of the pins I have. I love Stitch Auctions pins, but I have never acted as if they are meant for me, and that I DESERVE them or I MUST have them. I always have had to look at what people want, and tried to get those things in order to trade for Stitch pins. I collect many things. Events have come and gone, amazing pins have passed me by...but I investigate and look to see what people are wanting for the things they are getting that I am interested in. I have never expected people to "help me out". I signed up for the event...and I don't collect Alice. I was planning on going to buy some boxes. I wasn't sure if I could even go! BUT, they will trade very well, or sell very well. I am getting the pins because I know they are desired, and I will trade them good too. If i decide to sell, I am going to sell them good. I am unemployed at the moment, so I DARE someone to try and blacklist me for trying to make some money because I wouldn't be the only one. I guess my point after all this is....don't hate the player, hate the game. I am very surprised that people are "so shocked" at how these pins are going. It's Alice...I mean, c'mon...of course it's madness! Pins have always been this way...mansion, alice, stitch....these are tough collections... you gotta be able to roll with the punches....

It's funny that 500 lucky emails have at least the boxes. NO one is trading boxes. Do all 500 people think that they are the only one who is going to finish their set???

For reference, I'm holding mine under the assumption that I'm going to trade the pins in the boxes once I open them. I just don't want to trade the sealed boxes, in case I see the pins in person and open one that I fall in love with, or in case we see another "Ruby Doombuggy" type chaser scenario. I don't intend to build the complete set myself, but if I pre-sold or pre-traded those pins now, I may not really know what I'm getting myself into. And having glanced at the set at January's DLR PTN, they really are very nice pins. ;_;

-JD

I am more stoked about the mystery set then anything else! :) At PTN they were the coolest preview pins for sure. I'm going to do my best to get all ten, but we'll see. I'm just going to keep a positive attitude and have fun! Cuz that's what pin trading is all about! :)

If this is what the scene is like before the pins are released, I shudder to think of how tense and ugly the actual pin release is going to be - especially for the second chance line.

I'm actually dreading the second chance line a bit. That's why I'd love to meet up with some fellow DPF members and get some strength in numbers.

Here we go with pin entitlement.... yaaaaaaay

My face after reading this thread:

2iaua7p.gif

I've tried to stay ... used to come first. :(

Hey JJ,

I know where you're coming from, as I'm sure in the days of old what you described must have been easy to do. There were only "new" pins to go after, acquire, and add to your wants list. "New" pins were released, and the only thought going through your mind is "Oh, I think DumboFan1992 might really like that set." As years went on, there became more things to worry about, and as newer traders came on board, they had missed previous releases, and had no chance of getting great pins except on the 2nd market. Along with that, some of the "old" traders matured into fine wines, while others became old and bitter, like a vinegar. Nowadays, a newer trader will hear something like, "Oh, that's an LE25 frame set, and it's over 7 years old, so I'm looking for something triple, maybe quadruple the value." This has created a new breed of trader that wasn't seen in the beginning.

The only hope these traders have in getting older framed sets are with releases like this. They need something that has an original high value, and instantly doubles or triples in value. So finally, they'll be able to obtain that framed set they've only ever seen pictures of. While I empathize with you that pin trading didn't use to be like this, it's apparent that it could not have lasted long. With older sets getting harder and harder to find as each year passes, and frames get broken, lost, destroyed, or forever buried in an attic (or displayed on a wall!), it means that traders just getting in the game have to work harder and harder to appease those with pins they may want.

I'd love to say that it's the hobby that created this tension, but I have to agree with you that it's not. It's the people in the hobby. The only part where I disagree with you, is what kinds of people. It's not the newer trader who is out to add to their trades before adding to their collection. It's the older trader who holds onto their pins as "hostage" looking to appraise their vintage pins to whoever will listen. There may be a new breed of trader out there, but they have only been bred by the traders who existed before them.

I have to agree with Jabberwocky for the most part that the pin trading community is not what it used to be. I think that you can do whatever you want with your pins, sell them, trade them whatever. Ask for whatever price you want either in trade or money. Do what's best for you, but don't try to tell the rest of us that you're a good person who wants to help everyone else out. Over valuing your pins so that you can benefit at someone else's expense is not kind or helpful. Turning what is supposed to be a fun hobby into profit is selfish and I don't care how you choose to spin it. You do what you have to do, but like I said don't try to sugar coat it. If you need the money and therefore you are going to sell your pins for whatever you can get then do it, but be honest about it, don't say it's to help out those that didn't get in to the event because if that was the case you (the generic you, not anyone specific) wouldn't be charging double. People who are charging double are only helping themselves and the people who are selling their pins on the boards and plan to sell in the park are no better than the people selling on ebay. You're all looking to make a buck.

I have become so disgusted with the way people conduct themselves in this community, I honestly don't think I want to trade anymore. I will collect the pins that I want, but I don't think I will be trading. This sense of entitlement that has become rampant is just disappointing. It's gotten to the point that traders are bullying each other to get the pin that they want. It's been mentioned that not everyone can collect all of the mystery card pins so we should just give up and trade them with someone else. What the hell is that? Who decides which person should have them all? I would really like all of the pins, but if I don't get them my life will go on, and so shall yours. No one is going to die if they don't have every pin that they want and no one who bullies other traders really deserves any of the pins that they want.

It's clear that people are very passionate about these pins, but karma is a b*tch and what goes around comes around. If you choose to profit at someone else's expense, then expect that others will do the same to you.

Ruby,

I agree with almost 100%. Probably only not in the fact that I will continue to trade. It's been mentioned before about the Haunted Mansion doom buggy set that was released, and I'm only just now getting the pins I needed from that set. Almost 2 years later. While I'm not an Alice collector, I sympathize with the people in this thread. I understand that with highly desired pins, they can be insanely difficult to acquire. With people I know and can trust, I will trade/sell for original value. I scratch your back, you scratch mine. But not everyone out there is like that. Unfortunately I do often have to trade/sell pins for market value, because it's either what that person would do to me, or it's what I obtained the pin for. This isn't a phenomenon unique to pin trading. You'll find it in every collectible. I wish everyone trying to obtain the pins in this release the very best of luck, and if you don't get them now, always remember, the pin will come. Even if it is two years later.

Oh no you're totally right GrimGrinner. I have been collecting something all of my life and while I was in college I worked at a collectible store, so I know all about the obsessiveness of collectors, but since I've been collecting pins it's the only, excuse me, the second time I've seen it get ugly. The other was with beanie babies, I predicted the great fall even as I was selling them to people who thought that they were going to put their kids through college.

And you are right, I can wait. Unfortunately most collectors can not. That obsessiveness for immediate gratification just takes over their souls and they will step over, on or just kick out of the way anyone standing between them and whatever it is they collect, in this case pins. Me, I like delayed gratification, I like to wait when a package comes or savor that last bite. Unfortunately in this situation it might be very difficult to obtain these pins if I wait.

I understand that people have to do what is best for them and if I ever need to sell a pin then I will, but let's call a spade a spade. When we profit from our pins we aren't doing it to help someone else out. My issue is that people seem to think that the very fact that they're selling, despite the price, they are helping everyone else who couldn't be there. I canceled my plane ticket because I'm not sure if it's worth it when there are so many other important things that the money I'm spending on airfare and a ticket, should go to. I'm not going to get into the details of my own sob story because it's not fair to everyone else, but I haven't stopped crying since I canceled my ticket. I want them for me, not for profit, not to show off to others, but because I really love them and it's very difficult to hear that many of the people going just want them to sell, so people like me and other Alice collectors have to pay crazy prices while sharks smile in our faces...

I'm sorry, this is causing me great distress, whether to go because it will make me happy or whether to not go and be responsible. I think I need to just shut this board down for tonight because I'm getting very emotional about canceling my ticket.

Last edited:

In my opinion, YES, a big Alice collector IS more deserving than someone who only wants to get those pins so that they can sell them. Seriously, try having a little sympathy. If it was something that you really cared about then maybe you would feel differently.

I carried on reading the thread after replying to wdwjuan's post. In terms of deserving pins, it's just my honest opinion that maybe some people are that little bit more deserving than others. I don't collect Alice as a whole, just Cheshire Cat. I've only been collecting pins for just under 6 years. I don't think that makes anyone who's been collecting for a shorter period of time less deserving than me, but I think that maybe someone who's been collecting longer would be more deserving.

And I definatly think that ANY pin collector is more deserving than someone who has no interest in pins at all, except when it comes to selling them for epic profits.

That's just my personal opinion. I feel so awful for the likes of Margaret, Mackenzie and JJ, and I think some people on here have been very unsympathetic.

Ever since I've come onto DPF, I've received more help picking up pins and trading more than the years before. Everyone here has been a great help, if its a DSF release, a Disneyland Release, any release really. Just the other day, someone went out of their way to pick me up some pins from DSF, and I was very thankful. But when it comes to such a limited release such as this, there's only so much that can be done. With every release there are people who are going to purchase them to re-sell it. Unfortunately, with such a small release, their impact will be felt more than with others. But that's how it is. And from what I've seen, people are trying to do the most they can to help others. It sounds like a lot of people here are willing to help each other with the releases, and it sounds like those who were not given a wrist band will be gathering together to purchase pins and keep the line safe (from line jumpers... hate them folks!). Everyone had a right to enter into the RSP. If you were not able to get what you wanted, I'm sorry, because I know how that feels because these are some pretty cool pins. If you can help out another member pick up these pins, please do, but I do not think it is fair that fingers are pointed and wagged at people who were given a wrist band and are unable to go, or to those who do not agree that someone deserves a pin more than someone else. I'm not a major Alice collector, but I do like some of the pins coming out. If I lived closer to DL, I would have entered the RSP. Had I been given a wrist band and another major Alice collector had not, am I not worthy of a wrist band? I just don't want people to forget that this is a hobby, and we should be as supportive of one another as possible. If you can help out another member gather pins, great! Unfortunately, not everyone is going to be able to get these pins right away. Adding pins to your collection takes some time, and I know that's something we can all agree on.

Again, good luck to all of you attending the event. I hope you're able to get what you want!

P.S. That doorknob hinged pin is amazing!

Last edited:
Wow, I'm so sorry I started this thread. I had no idea that it would become what it is today. I just wanted some news about the event and a chance to trade or buy the pins. Holy cow, what the heck happened?????

I'm 64 years old so I'm trying to wait and be patient for pins, but I don't have as much time as a 20-30 year old person. I do not expect my pins to pay for anything - except maybe more pins. I have a lot of older pins, but they are not worth to me more or less than some of the new pins. I'm not sure where the hostility started, but since I started this thread, I'd like to see all hostility and negativity cease immediately. That was not the intention of the thread.

That being said: I'm still at the head of the begging line for Mystery pins. Boo-hoo, boo-hoo who is going to save me??? Where is my knight in shining armour???? Dag nabit - someone help me get those pins:) :) :)

I have a helmet - and kneepads, elbow pads and mouth guard, but I still don't have any Mystery Pins. And yeah, I should win the lotto even though I never buy tickets:) Settle down and let's get back to fun time. I understand it's an RSP and I live in Florida. I'm not upset so why should you be? I'm just working hard to get what I needed.

JJ, I get your comments completely. I have the final two pins of a set of my wants list and I have a sinking feeling that my list is going to be exactly the same when I kick the bucket. Either one person or no one is trading them and they are never for sale. I feel your pain. Good luck at the Alice event - stay safe.

Last edited:
There was a post of eBay selling the door knob pin for $99. I sent them and email and told them they were sharks and I hope that something happened to them and they couldn't go. I think it's terrible to see someone take advantage of others in this situation. How cold-hearted and ruthless can some people be? She's a velociraptor who is fast and kills everything in it's path. Too bad she didn't to be extinct too.

WOW!!!! Those are some EXTREMELY harsh words!! To wish someone to go extinct, and that something happens to them over A PIN!! Unbelievable. How can the hostility and negativity cease with words like that? A famous quote from Michael Jackson once was "It starts with the man in the mirror". What makes an Ebay seller any different than employers most of us work for? They are making a profit off other people. That's what makes the world go round. You dont think all the Ebay sellers are trying to make money to pay their mortgages, put food on their tables, and clothes on their backs? What would you rather them not offer the pins for us to buy? How do you expect to complete collections if there is noone offering the pins for sale. It takes a secondary market in ANY collectible to make it a collectible. Maybe some people on this board should look up the definition of hypocrite, I mean some of you go on bashing Ebay sellers, yet turn around and buy there. Not to mention some are even ebay sellers themselves!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back