• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

"Art of the Disney Princess" - Book Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Art of the Disney Princess" - Book Review

SoraPandora

Figaro Fan
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Hi everybody!

Aside from collecting pins, I am a mad collector of books... especially pretty books like collections of art and graphic novels.

A few months ago, I stumbled across this beauty at Disneyland.

It is called "Art of the Disney Princess," collected and introduced by Glen Keane.

I rediscovered it on my bookshelf last night and fell in love all over again.

This book was actually released way back in 2009, so I'm sure most of you die-hard Disney fans already either own it yourselves, or know all about it... but I thought I'd share a quick review for those princess lovers who don't know it exists yet. :)

disney-princess-cover-web.jpg

This is a really big book, kind of square in size (about 10x10 inches), chock full of artwork inspired by our favorite Disney princesses. (That's right, I said Disney inspired - This book consists mostly of fan art, so don't expect any screen shots or official concept sketches.) The artwork ranges from old-school oil paintings to newfangled digital media (hello Photoshop), with some really cool photography, collages, and schoolgirl doodles thrown in for good measure.

Just for fun, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite pieces with you - one for each of the main princesses represented in the book:

Ariel_JennyChung.jpg

Ariel - artwork by Jenny Chung

Aurora_EricTan.jpg

Aurora - artwork by Eric Tan

Belle_DorotaKotarba-Mendez.jpg

Belle - artwork by Dorota Kotarba-Mendez

Cinderella_VinceMusacchia.jpg

Cinderella - artwork by Vince Musacchia

Jasmine_EnriquePitaEdIrizzary2.jpg

Jasmine - artwork by Enrique Pita & Ed Irizzary

Mulan_RonVelasco.jpg

Mulan - artwork by Ron Valesco

Snow_JennyChung-1.jpg

Snow White - artwork by Jenny Chung

Tiana_DorotaKotarba-Mendez.jpg

Tiana - artwork by Dorota Kotarba-Mendez

There were also a couple Pocahontas-inspired artworks, but none I personally liked enough to include a picture of. (Poor Poca!)

Interestingly enough, the book also included a small representation of two oft-forgotten Disney heroines - Atlantis' Kida and Peter Pan's Tiger Lily. But sadly, nothing for fans of Princess Eilonwy (The Black Cauldron) or Maid Marian (Robin Hood).

Note that this book came out shortly before the release of Tangled, and long before Brave, so the darling Rapunzel and daring Merida are also nowhere to be found within its pages.

We can only hope for a sequel! :)

Last edited:
Oh, I forgot to mention that this book is currently available here on Amazon for $26.40, a great price drop from its list price of $40.

This would make a great holiday gift for the princess lover on your list!

Even if the artwork is sometimes hit and miss, the book truly has something for everyone.

I absolutely love this book. I pre-ordered it back in 2009 (gosh, has it been that long already?? Lol) and find it very inspiring! :)

My girlfriend, a friend of ours and I stood inside of that store in DTD (can't remember the name of it right now. Huh!) for a good 15 mins. as we flipped through the book. There is some really great stuff in there!

I love this book too! And I just wanted to add they made this book right before Princess and the Frog released, and it's a huge collection that was made from a gallery showing and many of the pieces were taken from that. So there if I'm not mistaken is only one or two pictures of Tiana in the book <3

We should do more book reviews! I love this idea.

I came across this book a year ago in one of the stores at WDW, but didn't have the spare money or room in my luggage, so put it on my Amazon wish list instead.

This Christmas, my mother-in-law bought it for me! :cheshire:

I love it SO MUCH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back