• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Do you add vacation costs to the trade value of a pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you add vacation costs to the trade value of a pin?

hearts48

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
If you purchased pins while on a Disney vacation (theme parks or cruise), or paid for a special event, does this add to the trade value of your pin?

My opinion is vacation/event costs are paid because you want to enjoy that particular activity. I do not think these costs should be interjected into determining a trade value of a pin. Although some people might disagree, I thought I'd open this subject to discussion.

The only time I ever added extra costs to a trade/sale was when my wife and I were in wdw for the "spectacle of pins" event. I was always going to the event, but enough folks asked for items off the rsp that we bought her a ticket to give us a second rsp. The cost of her admission was factored in, and everyone was told up front. For normal trades it has never been a factor.

Yeah, I don't think it is right to add those costs to the value of the pin. The only time I can think of that I could somewhat understand it is if you were going to DSF but only if you were doing it as a special trip soley for the other person. Everywhere else, whether it be at the park, on a cruise, or at an event the person gets to enjoy the destination and getting there is their cost. Plus, if they are going for a pin it is very possible that they are getting it for themselves as well so I others shouldn't have to make up that cost.

I've never heard of such a thing, but I think the idea is ridiculous. Expecting other people to pay for your trip through pin trading/sales sounds really greedy to me. Like others have said you are paying for a vacation, for pleasure, and whatever pins come out of it is an added benefit and expecting others to pay extra for that is crazy. Not everyone has the convenience of living near a park, but that doesn't mean that because they have to travel farther from those that do they have have the right to expect more out of their pins.

I personally dont think so and here is an example.
I go to a lot of the DSF events as well as many others.
I get there at Midnight lets say even 2:00am for the sake of this example. I will be in line for 7½ hours and had to drive from Redondo Beach.
So gas both ways is $6.00, at minimum wage my time in line is $70.00 and that does not include travel time. Do I charge for that? NO!
I mean, seriously, lets say I only bought 2 pins for $12.95, are they now worth $50.00? Even if I bought 10 pins do I divide my gas and time into each pin? I think not and I know people who tell me how hard it was to get a pin or they had to stand in line.

If you were on a cruise, you were already on the cruise. And if that was used to add value to the cost of the pin, I mean geesh! So I fly 1st class to get to Florida, Take a 10 Day Cruise, total trip for one person is $2500.00 and now I divide that among even 50 pins. Come on.....
The one I get most is, "you did not have to stand in line or travel to wherever.......

But, of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

On a closing note, do you think they are including drinks cause that can jack the price way up.......lol

I don't add vacation cost. I don't add taxes. I don't add shipping that I paid. I just figure the amount I paid for the pin itself. That seems (1) fair, and (2) easier.

Well, if we begin to add vacation values, then we might as well start adding the price of admission, the amount of gas we use, incorporate the per-hour pay we would earn while waiting in line, and create an algorithm that add the various methods of assessing the value of the pin...If all of us did that, it's no longer fun trading pins, or even should be called 'PIN-TRADING'.

Had others use the same hackneyed stories? Yes, and historically speaking, we've all run into the traders who begin," Well, I was in line since 10 a.m. the previous day to get this pin, and even though it's an LE 3500,...blah,blah,blah." The pitch is thrown and we are left with more than a bad taste in our mouth about pin traders. Now multiply that by however many people visit the park and are exposed to such shills. That kind of mentality and behavior is the reason why there are no more tables at DTD; if we don't watch it, the barrels, Little Green Men, and the Plaza may be next!

It's good to give accurate information about a releases and other pertinent information to help foster an educated trade. Do you use it as a pry bar to get pins? That's up to you and your conscious, but remember that those guests (and fellow traders) don't always work that way, and some have long memories. Some actually attend events to have fun and be a part of the spectacle. Others spend hundreds to go out to sea to get away from it all. Maybe a vacation includes a place that just happens to sell pins. If a pin is released for that time, then that's happenstance; placing the costs against other traders just lets them know your directive, character, and modus operandi.

Please remember that sometimes we go on these events, cruises, or trips and offer fellow collectors a hand in getting pins while we have the opportunity, and with that good intention goes the rule; for trade. If that person offers it at cost, then it is a favor to the trader and they reciprocate in kind. People will do what they will but it seems that what keeps the pin karma rolling is helping out, not holding out.

BTW, although Disneyland was mentioned, the locations referred to are currently designated as pin trading areas. There are plenty of good friends and traders who inhabit these areas, but even they see opportunistic traders that were aforementioned in last message. No specific person(s) was/were alluded to directly; if anyone has taken offense, my humblest and deepest apologies to you, as you were not the intended audience.

that what keeps the pin karma rolling is helping out, not holding out.

I believe in the spirit of pin karma Orlando, but you can't be rolled over just trying to "help" someone, I mean I've been know to trade some of the pins I get in a $2. collection for what I know are scrapers. But I can't just give someone a pin "I value" as a valuable pin for something I don't believe is as valuable.

But I totaly disagree with trying to factor in "costs" ie... gas, time spent ect. But you can't feel an LE 100 anyone could get online sometimes for weeks equal to an LE 150 that sold out at the DSF in one day. Am I wrong in this thinking?

I believe in the spirit of pin karma Orlando, but you can't be rolled over just trying to "help" someone, I mean I've been know to trade some of the pins I get in a $2. collection for what I know are scrapers. But I can't just give someone a pin "I value" as a valuable pin for something I don't believe is as valuable.

But I totaly disagree with trying to factor in "costs" ie... gas, time spent ect. But you can't feel an LE 100 anyone could get online sometimes for weeks equal to an LE 150 that sold out at the DSF in one day. Am I wrong in this thinking?

I agree with your message. While I try to always keep some lesser valued pins to trade with kids (or adults for that matter) who just like to trade, I won't trade a $10 pin for your PWP dollar pin either.

And I would never think to add in the cost of my vacation to a pin. The vacation is for me - and the pin is for me too because I am going to use it for trade. If I am picking it up for someone, then it is just something I am doing because I want to do it. One day that person will pay it forward and one day I will be the receiver of the kindness (and I have already received this kindness as well).

Well, if we begin to add vacation values, then we might as well start adding the price of admission, the amount of gas we use, incorporate the per-hour pay we would earn while waiting in line, and create an algorithm that add the various methods of assessing the value of the pin.................keeps the pin karma rolling is helping out, not holding out.

:lol: Good point and well said! But, where's the abacus?! :lol:

If you purchased pins while on a Disney vacation (theme parks or cruise), or paid for a special event, does this add to the trade value of your pin?

My opinion is vacation/event costs are paid because you want to enjoy that particular activity. I do not think these costs should be interjected into determining a trade value of a pin. Although some people might disagree, I thought I'd open this subject to discussion.

This might explain why so many pin traders at DLR PTN's think their pins hold the same value as gold. "Well we bought this pin at WDW and between hotel and airfare costs this hidden mickey pin is worth any 10 of your LE pins in your book" These are the same traders that complain after every PTN that trading sucks and no one is making any trades with them. I so want to name the names, but I am a nice person tonight. I could also post this on the pet peeve thread.

End rant.

This might explain why so many pin traders at DLR PTN's think their pins hold the same value as gold. "Well we bought this pin at WDW and between hotel and airfare costs this hidden mickey pin is worth any 10 of your LE pins in your book" ..............................

Hmmmm - So, this is where the response could be -- "Really! So, did I! Soooooooooo - my vacation (hotel, airfare, event ticket, etc) + the cost of my LE pins = MORE than your FREE hidden mickeys! HA! I still beat ya!! Yay, me!" :lol:

Last edited:
I will never forget traders telling me that they could not give me an LE 1000 pin for an le 300 pin even, because of the fact that they had to pay for an event to get that pin. Therefore, I would have to give them at least two pins equaling $25.00. You guys have no idea how many times I heard this when I started trading, and almost made me hate the hobby I love so much.

So I started to tell them that I should not have to pay for the event they enjoyed and got great trades at, nor the food they ate, nor the fun they had, because I was not there, and that is stuff they paid for and got for themselves, so to please stop passing those costs on to me. They looked at me like I came from outer space. And I do not think it made them realize how super greedy they were.

I would NEVER trade a pin for more just because I got it on vacation or because I paid for an event. I think doing so would be very wrong.

I think people value event pins more because of the RSP system not necessarily the event cost. That being said it does cost $100.00 to get into the WDW Pin Event so those pins I do value slightly more because they cost more than a regular LE that you would buy in the pin store. When I pick up pins for people at WDW, I charge them what it cost. I tell them that in advance and if they want someone else to get them then that's fine.

Hi Sandy,

I understand what you are saying, but I still do not value event pins more than what they cost. The fact that you had to pay to be there does not mean anything to me, and I will tell you why.

I have been to many events, gotten the pins, and they do not go up in value or ratios most of the time. I think the reason for this is that a lot of traders that want the pins being released at selected events are able to get them by being there, so there are a lot less people wanting them and more trading them. I still have so many left from an event three years ago, and I have not been picky about the trade offers. I just haven't gotten any offers for them, and these are Tinker bell and Stitch pins. I am practically giving them away. And they cost me the same as anyone going to any event. The fact that they are not highly wanted makes them easy to get on ebay. Just look now for last year's 10-10-10 event pins and you will see them selling for just a little over cost. On ebay, it would make sense that they would be a little higher, because they have to cover their listing fees, and even with that, sometimes they are listed cheaper than the actual cost. The event framed sets are selling at the character premiere stores right now, and still have not all sold out.

The other reason why I do not see paying more for event pins is the fact all of the event pins that did not sell out are brought to Downtown Disney the day after the event is over, or two days after the event is over in some cases, and they are there selling like regular le pins.

Lastly, what about the last day when everything is open to the public?

Hmmmm - So, this is where the response could be -- "Really! So, did I! Soooooooooo - my vacation (hotel, airfare, event ticket, etc) + the cost of my LE pins = MORE than your FREE hidden mickeys! HA! I still beat ya!! Yay, me!" :lol:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You tell them, Dyma! ;):lol:

Don't forget the person that comes up to you and tells you they have a pin that is worth $30.00 and procede to show you their pin they got free with their $30.00 meal.

Even if you were going to include the event cost in the value of the pin you can't spread it over just the pins you have to trade. You can't say, "I got 20 pins for trading so $100/20 = $5 and therefore each of my traders is wroth $5 more than cost. That's not right. It sould have to be more like:

I went to the pin board lines 10 times
I was able to trade for 30 pins with other people
I attended 2 presentations
I got 3 free gifts
I got 5 PWP pins
I got 30 pins for myself
I got 20 pins for trading

By breaking it down that way, you got 100 "experiences" for your $100 dollars and just spreading the cost out evenly your 20 traders are only "worth" $1 more than cost because you got them at the event.

My guess is that the whole thing of adding in the vacation/event costs started before ebay was as big as it is. Then, as ebay grew it was easier to get the pins you wanted without going to the event but people still use the reasoning so that they can float around on someone else's dime.

Last edited:
Erudolf, that is exactly what I think. The people that are lucky enough to attend the event have so many activities to enjoy for the money they spent, so why add the cost of their trip to the pins they buy there for trade and pass it on to the rest of us?:mad:

There are times when traders really want a pin from somewhere and another offers to get it for them. If this person is kind enough to go out of their way to get you a pin, it is up to you to maybe offer them something in return, like to pay for the gas, or whatever. This is a rare instance when the person goes out of their way for only one trader in particular, and does not have anything to do with event pins or vacation bought pins.

One thing that has always baffled me is how come the Paris Pin Trading night pins got so valuable. Is it the fact that they sell out? Here is a case, when one pin of equal purchase cost and Le will not get you a DLRP PTN pin. It seems we have all agreed to trade for the value of these pins without question when the value is often 4 times what they cost. I have done it and am one to blame for promoting this. Any ideas on this?:(

One thing that has always baffled me is how come the Paris Pin Trading night pins got so valuable. Is it the fact that they sell out? Here is a case, when one pin of equal purchase cost and Le will not get you a DLRP PTN pin. It seems we have all agreed to trade for the value of these pins without question when the value is often 4 times what they cost. I have done it and am one to blame for promoting this. Any ideas on this?:(

I think the DLRP PTN pins are a different story with many different things going on. At a really high level, I think it is the market that is setting the price for them rather than people adding in their event costs. I don't think adding in event costs is right, but if you've got a hot pin from an event and the market value for it is double the cost, then that's the value, but not because you are adding in unjustified costs.

First and foremost, DLRP PTNs are a great series that a lot of people like. So, demand for them will be higher and a lot of people in the US like them. Also, even OE pins can be difficult to get from across the pond. Look at the Tangled Booster set. You have to have connections that are willing to ship overseas or you've got to go to ebay where the price will be higher. And when OE pins are difficult to get over here, LE 400 pins will be even more difficult. Couple that with the fact that all 400 pins won't make it to the US, that makes them pretty scarce here.

And in defence of the people across the pond that get the PTN pins, that's really where all their trading power is, so they kind of have to milk it. They don't have many other pins that people in the US really want. Nor do they have easy access to the great pins we have over here. Look at Disneystore.com pins. Unless they have a hook-up for those pins, buying direct is way too expensive with the shipping. And ebay prices are marked up.

Now, on the flip side, some people are a little ridiculous in their expectations of what they should get for their new PTN pins. They actually treat them like they are made of gold. They have the attitude that just because it is a PTN pin it is worth $40 or more even if it doesn't have a popular character on it. Not all PTNs are created equal. The vast majority of them only hold a $25-$30. Only a select few that have popular characters or ones that are older are worth more. Like Tinker, Stitch, and Jiminy...those are a triple whammy because they were the first ones and may have gotten scattered before the series really took off, they are LE 300 where the others are LE 400, and they are popular characters. Then of course others will be more popular, like Arial or Jessica will be popular just because of the character. But a Meet the Robinsons PTN....ummmm....no. $25 tops. $30 if you are splurging. Just because it is a PTN pin doesn't mean that it is a $150 pin like one ebay seller seems to think.

So that's my long-winded reasoning! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back