• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Enough with the bootleg Vinylmation pins already!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now let me get this straight. I want to make sure that I do not violate the new DPF rule. So DPF is going to censor their members from mentioning "a certain member" and force them to generalize the illegal issue this person has engaged in? Even though he is the only person that is doing this.

I recall seeing an entire 8+ page DPF thread where a young lady was criticized to no end by other members. What she did was morally wrong, but not criminally and morally wrong. Yet, no "buddy-buddy" moderators came to her defense and demanded a censorship of her name and ordered a generalization of the situation. I'm just saying if you're going to pass this rule for one person, you will need to make it a rule for every person unless you want to be accused of another double standard.

iamdisneydan, I do not buy the excuse that "the person who cannot be named" disapproves of the selling of his pins by others unless he's only angry that they are stealing his own sales. I say that because nobody can dispute the hard fact that he sold them right here on DPF. I just noticed that the sale thread has since been taken down, but the damaging evidence has been seen and has been done.

Swim2see, when I sent all of the information for the Vinylmation bootleg pins into the Disney Anti-Piracy Team I was sent an automated email reply stating that while Disney appreciates the lead, they cannot legally get back with me with any kind of updates or courses of action that can/will be taken against the offender. So it is not that they are doing nothing, they just cannot break legal confidentiality just to keep you personally informed. When you think about it, even if they could respond to everyone that would take them away from actually working on the problem.

I think Tabbikat2219 made an excellent point. How does the Disney Company, Muppets, Lucasfilms, the FBI, or whoever know about these illegal actions if people don't man up and tell them? So while their legals can take care of themselves, we the people need to report when we see illegal things happening. If I saw my neighbor's house being broken into, wouldn't I report it to the authorities? No matter if all the theives were stealing looked like $20 worth of junk? Of course. And I would hope that every law abiding citizen would answer the same way.

Unfortunately morals and ethics cant be taught either you have them or you don't. And I personally will not compromise my morals or my ethics to buy, promote or in any way help anyone who creates "bootlegs, fantasy, fakes, scrappers whatever you want to call them" It only contributes to the problems, devalues the true and legal merchandise it doesn't help to support these people it only adds to the problem. If no one bought this stuff there would be no market for it. If people took a stand for what is right and legal more and more of these people would be prosecuted. However sadly people just don't want to take the time and yet they complain when they end up with fakes. If you saw a crime in progress for example someone shop lifting would you report it? Or look the other way and say its not my problem? So when the cost of merchandise goes up due to theft issues then you are angry that the prices keep rising. I am done voicing my opinion obviously people just want to look the other way. It saddens me.

Unfortunately morals and ethics cant be taught either you have them or you don't. And I personally will not compromise my morals or my ethics to buy, promote or in any way help anyone who creates "bootlegs, fantasy, fakes, scrappers whatever you want to call them" It only contributes to the problems, devalues the true and legal merchandise it doesn't help to support these people it only adds to the problem. If no one bought this stuff there would be no market for it. If people took a stand for what is right and legal more and more of these people would be prosecuted. However sadly people just don't want to take the time and yet they complain when they end up with fakes. If you saw a crime in progress for example someone shop lifting would you report it? Or look the other way and say its not my problem? So when the cost of merchandise goes up due to theft issues then you are angry that the prices keep rising. I am done voicing my opinion obviously people just want to look the other way. It saddens me.

THIS THIS THIS!

I don't own any of the pins that are the topic of this discussion. However, I, like Tabbikat, do not support those who commit crimes - whether that be theft or copyright infringement. Unfortunately, there are people that do. And my only other issue here is that I haven't seen any proof produced with a warning from Disney stating that what he is doing is illegal. So, while some people here disagree totally with what is being produced - and others don't give a flip - I guess the real decision is up to Disney. And until they make their intentions public, we won't really know.

Enough with the abhorrent spelling already!!!

Is it just me or has this whole thing with terrible spelling gotten out of hand? I'm all for cutting internet users a break on the first mishap. Because maybe they don't know that what they're doing is incorrectly spelling a word. Then, with the second infraction they have to know! But then I saw a post here on Pin Forum practically showcasing their bad spelling. Come on, really? But if that wasn't enough now this guy has decided to make yet another bad spelling thread. You can't tell me that he doesn't know that what he is doing is wrong. He even mentioned "spell check please." Spelling a word wrong without knowing what you are doing is wrong, is one thing. But when you know that you are spelling words wrong and you go ahead, there is no excuse.

Wrong is wrong, and right is right said it best. Do I break the laws of grammar? No, I do not. Do I speed? Guess what, NO I don't, however speeding is not making words appear on the SCREEN incorrectly. And that's what I have the issue with. If everyone said "Oh well," we would be an uneducated society. So what is the big deal on spelling correctly? That's what you ask. Well, if you can overlook that spelling error, what else are you willing to "overlook?" Proper spelling needs no help in promoting and believe me, these bad posts online does not make people run out and buy Dictionaries. I would imagine just the opposite with the mentality of "Well, I just spelled this incorrectly, what's the harm in spelling more words badder, or incorrectly. Whatever you want to call it. Bottom line, it devalues literacy. NOT to mention again it's WRONG. As far as videos on YouTube, I wasn't aware anyone LEARNED from those. I just can't agree with spelling words incorrectly as trivial at best. Again, where do you draw the line? A missing apostrophe, different vowel, wrong usage? How would DPF feel if all of a sudden someone starts making differently worded posts from you? Wouldn't feel too good. This is not just a matter of lost knowledge upon the community, it's morally and reprehensibly wrong. What happens to the new forum poster, and we have all been there, who doesn't know the difference, I mean after all when you start spelling words you really don't know the difference. Oh well. Right. I can't ever agree this is right in any form.

Last edited:
Sorry Grim, No wait, no I'm not. We all know you are mentioning me.
I just saw a post right above mine that said "Come one, really?" Maybe the person meant come on really not one.
I almost died when I was younger and did not attend school from the 7th grade on.
Call me a dropout or whetever you want. Sorry we can not all be up to your standards.

There are words in the international spelling bee that I know the meaning, definition and how to properly use the word but in no way could spell it.
I think ya just like picking on me and again, this thread is not about grammer or spelling. Heck, even you have used an incorrect word but I guess it was spelled right. I really dont think people are going to leave the forum because of poor spelling.

I have seen many people even in their title with incorrect spelling. I dont fault them. I dont type in word, spell check and then paste it to the forum. Maybe you should have started a post in ANYTHING GOES and you can vent your issues there but lets keep this thread about Vinylmations.

And we all dont have a dinasaurus, or thesaurus or whatever to look up big words to try to make a point, we speak from our minds and hearts.
Sorry I did not complete school and almost died. But I will say that I have since had a very successful career and in my work enviornment, I get paid to be proper and make sure I spell right. This is not work and it is for fun and I am not concerned with getting graded on my spelling. I only care about voicing my opinion and getting my points across and think it has not been a problem.

While I totally endorse all people to enjoy these forums, if you dont like my spelling, my post, or even me, there is an IGNORE tab. Just add me to it and you will never have to see me mispell again.

Why dont you make a thread called "lets bash iamdisneydan"
Bottom line is the people who like me know me and the people who dont probably know me too...lol
No Biggie because the ones who somehow like me are the ones who are important in my pin trading life.

Now as far as Vinylmations, let continue the previous constructive discussion.

Last edited:
Dan, it's unfortunate that you take this personal, as it's really nothing about you. I leave anything regarding you to your own threads (which I thought had died completely), and don't drag them out to be battered into any others. It's more depressing that I have to point out that the entire thing is satire on the entire thread. Way to ruin the joke.

Last edited:
ROCKETEERS, if you don't like bootleg pins, then don't buy them, and don't trade for them PERIOD. End of story. Really, what is your motive here? What do you hope to gain? Did someone pee in your Cherrios this morning? It seems to me you are just looking to cause trouble. First you have a problem with the aforementioned pin maker, now you have a problem with the mods "protecting" the aforementioned pin maker. Come on lighten up!! These are PINS!!! They are for FUN!!!!

Some of my favorite pins are bootleg pins. Has anyone seen the Mr. Incredible pin ripping his shirt off like superman? What about Scrump in the glass bottle like Alice. What about the Tinker Bell letters that spell out her name? Or the Stitch letters?

Please fellow pin traders continue making great pins. It adds to the fun of pin collecting. Thats what this is all about.

He even mentioned "spell check please."

That was me so I thought you were calling me out without using my name.
I have to admit that now that I read the thread from a different viewpoint, I do in fact find the humor in it.
Believe me, I have made many plays on words that people took completly wrong and was like "WHAT!?"

So you used me as the butt of your joke.....HMMMMMMM I can't win.
Its all good but when you mentioned the line about this person even said "SPELL CHECK" I know that person and it's me so i did take it personal.

Are you backpeddlingnow? How do you always make me the bad guy. Man youre good. (' that goes between the u & r in youre)
Dont forget, I am a thread killer, no wait, a virus, thats it........... Where is my rope? Oh wait, already did that trick.

and maybe in a PM you could tell me what you meant by this so I dont take it wrong:
I leave anything regarding you to your own threads (which I thought had died completely),

Last edited:
He even mentioned "spell check please."

Yes, it was used as it was said in this thread.

How do you always make me the bad guy. Man youre good.

No worries. I work PR, so it's what I do ;)

Dont forget, I am a thread killer

Gosh I hope it works on this thread. Don't bring in the penicillin!!

and maybe in a PM

On it's way, I can see how it could be read incorrectly.

Another point I just thought of. It's not like the maker of the Tron pin, was hiding the fact that he made the pin. He put his name right on it, and gave it to his friends. If I made that cool of a pin I would have put my name on it too, because I would have been proud of it.

Rocketeers besides you losing sleep over there being bootleg pins out there in the world ,who are these pins hurting? Have you ever seen a bootleg pin on a lanyard? If only I could be so lucky!!! Is Disney selling fewer pins? I'll tell you right now Disney could care less. They have security gaurds that come and tell traders at Westward Hoe (Disneyland Pin trading tables) to stop having people buy pins in the store to trade with them. Scappers are bad. They are a forgery. They are pretending to be something they are not. Bootleg/fantasy pins are a completely different beast, that in my opinion add to the pin collecting fun!!

This is a very unique web site we have here. On other boards I've been on, (Non-Disney boards, sports car boards and such), we could just tell someone what we really think of there cry baby ramblings. Unfortunately, because it's a Disney related board, I can't express fully how annoyed I am with Rocketeers post. I hope he Rocketeers to another website...

Last edited:
Okay this thread has now gotten out of hand. WELL GRIMGRINNER guess what misspelling isn't against the law. And I am going to use th emost incorrect grammer here just to annoy you. I had no idea that I need to use my professional skills when discussing any topic. But I most certainly can. As far as uneducated you better back up a step on that one I have a Phd from Yale I think thats makes me ummmm hmmmmm edumacated I will put my intelligence up against yours any day of the week. So now my question is why did you get off topic? The Thread is about the vinylmation pins you did not create this thread if you want to create a bad spelling, grammatically incorrect topic go do it. Better yet go find the grammatically incorrect police and go work for them. I am sick to death of the bashing of individuals over their opinions. We all have different opinions and that is a good thing. Oh and the next time you want to post try doing it in your own words and not parroting me.

Last edited:
Disney Dan is a wonderful caring compassionate man who has one of the best dispositions and the most giving of hearts. I dont care if he misspells a word uses a phrase grammatically incorrect. HE is my friend. I judge a person on what is in their souls. Not how they type. We could use more of that in the world.

ROCKETEERS, if you don't like bootleg pins, then don't buy them, and don't trade for them PERIOD. End of story. Really, what is your motive here? What do you hope to gain? Did someone pee in your Cherrios this morning? It seems to me you are just looking to cause trouble. First you have a problem with the aforementioned pin maker, now you have a problem with the mods "protecting" the aforementioned pin maker. Come on lighten up!! These are PINS!!! They are for FUN!!!!

Some of my favorite pins are bootleg pins. Has anyone seen the Mr. Incredible pin ripping his shirt off like superman? What about Scrump in the glass bottle like Alice. What about the Tinker Bell letters that spell out her name? Or the Stitch letters?

Please fellow pin traders continue making great pins. It adds to the fun of pin collecting. Thats what this is all about.
Couldn't agree more. This is exactly why i posed the question "what's your favorite Disney pin -- if Disney didn't make that pin, would it still be your favorite?"

some chimed in, but the general consensus is that no, it would no longer be their favorite, which is unfortunate, because it's no longer an appreciation for the art/design of a pin, but rather the most important criteria above all else, becomes that it is a genuine Disney article. With disney5's stitch pin example, it seems some even preferred the fantasy pin that came out before Disney released theirs (the genuine pin makes stitch look really old with all those wrinkles and is generally unappealing -- it may be made to a higher standard, but the art isn't my preference :p).

IamDisneyDan is really cool and shouldn't be bashed!

That said, I really don't know why I'm posting except it's snowing and I've read every thread and drank too much coffee and feel that I have to add my 2 cents.

If Disney could copyright the words "Pin Trading" they would. They don't own the words "Kermit" or "Mickey". I think Darlene posted that earlier. The NY Yankees tried that crap a couple of years ago and lost in court. Evilos makes beautiful Mickey shaped rubber ducks aka Vinylmations. If Disney didn't want him to make them they wouldn't sell the blank ones and I'm really surprised they don't sell those color your own Vinyl pins.

In the past, since 1999, I have known people that have sold bootleg pins, fantasy pins and scrappers. Do I condone it? Not really. Do I do it? Nope.

Fantasy Vinylmation Pins...

tronfantasypinz.jpg
:wavey:Vinylmation Fantasy Pins

I was looking around online at other forums just now and found where the creator of the pins in question of this thread refers to his pins as "fantasy" and as far as I can see, "fantasy", as far as everything Disney, is everything.

I have to say that I love Mickey and I love Tron. I have both of these pins and love them.

This is exactly why i posed the question "what's your favorite Disney pin -- if Disney didn't make that pin, would it still be your favorite?"

some chimed in, but the general consensus is that no, it would no longer be their favorite, which is unfortunate, because it's no longer an appreciation for the art/design of a pin, but rather the most important criteria above all else, becomes that it is a genuine Disney article.

To me, it is important that my pins are a genuine Disney article and I don't think that is unfortunate. I love Disney. I love Disney movies, Disney parks, Disney music, everything. Disney is the only reason I collect pins and my collecting is an appreciation of Disney. So, if Disney didn't make the pin then I don't have the same appreciation for it. I may think it is a nice design, but I don't want it. I don't collect Hard Rock pins, Warner Brother pins, Olympic pins, or any other pins someone makes. I collect Disney pins. And as Stitch collector, I'll just speak up and say I don't like the Fantasy one better, regardless of whether it is legit or not.

I love reading these posts! They are informative and full of life, BUT, some posts have left me feeling tense and I feel they are off topic. This is an interesting topic for me as I create "art" in different mediums and are always concerned about the legalities of what I do. But I never sell. I never make a profit if I am using images that are not of my own creation, from the first pen/pencil/crayon/paint stroke and mental thought to the finished product. Those who know us, know that we hand out handmade cards with a poem and a treat every October at DLR. They involve Disney pin images, and character names as we celebrate the opening of the Nightmare Before Christmas makeover of the Haunted Mansion. When we first did this 8 years ago, I was so weary of what Disney suits would say. But there have been no issues brought up to me by Disney whatsoever. We do this yearly. I'm sure if I asked for money, the issue would be more of selling my wares on Disney property than it would be using Disney images and names. Keep the information coming! I respect all opinions posted here as that is what this forum's purpose if for. Knowledge makes us wiser decision makers.

I hate vinylmations. But the new villain ones are kind of cool....=/....and about this thread....I don't really care if it fakes or whatever are sold. Nobody stops all the scappers on ebay. It's just out of hand now. So oh well. Just don't buy on ebay. If you don't like these custom made vinylmations then don't buy them. They're kind of neat. Just leave it alone and don't buy them. It's as simple as that!

Last edited:
To me, it is important that my pins are a genuine Disney article and I don't think that is unfortunate. I love Disney. I love Disney movies, Disney parks, Disney music, everything. Disney is the only reason I collect pins and my collecting is an appreciation of Disney. So, if Disney didn't make the pin then I don't have the same appreciation for it. I may think it is a nice design, but I don't want it. I don't collect Hard Rock pins, Warner Brother pins, Olympic pins, or any other pins someone makes. I collect Disney pins. And as Stitch collector, I'll just speak up and say I don't like the Fantasy one better, regardless of whether it is legit or not.
thanks for replying :) I see where you're coming from. There's no argument that people collect for different reasons, and we all like different things. So my opinion, in your case, is incorrect. I personally appreciate design and art above other things, so even if i don't collect a certain character or theme, If there's a pin i like the design/layout/etc of, I want it.

I love all the masterpiece pins (as i'm sure many do), but mostly because I also appreciate the original works for which they are modeled after.

I hate vinylmations. But the new villain ones are kind of cool....=/

I was the same with vinylmations until I saw the star wars ones now I'm addicted.

@Cicada I have several pins that aren't disney that I love that come under my themes of my pin collection and like to think I'd still buy my favourites even if they weren't official disney. of course that'd make them harder to trade away/for but thats another matter.

As for this topic. I'm not touching it with a 50 foot pole attached to someone else that's attached to a 100 foot pole. All I'll say is this is a forum and its easy to misunderstand and miscommunicate. Also that you aren't likely to change each others minds so why bother arguing back and forth and letting this spiral?

Hello, everyone -- I enjoyed reading this thread and I created this account to reply. All these opinions are great, and are very representative of the many different feelings I've seen expressed in this matter. It's a very complicated issue with many passionate viewpoints, but as always the pin community comes together to self-regulate, as it were.

This thread touched a personal nerve with me, as I've witnessed the Disney pin trading community grow from literally no information (traders beware!) to a thriving community working together through various outlets to ensure the continued pleasure of everyone who participates in this hobby.

Thanks for the morale boost, and keep on trading!

-britt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back