• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

New annoying virus-y ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New annoying virus-y ads?
Same, on an iPhone 6 with all recent updates. When one clicks on a legit link, that's when you get hijacked. Back to Tapatalk for me, even if it is clunky.

Yes, I was scared because it said my phone had a virus. Keeps asking to confirm I'm not or robot or taking me to a winner's page of some sort. It's random for me, either when I open a thread or post a reply.

Yeah, for now, I'm just not going to come to the site on my phone - I can't get past the ads and I'm concerned that malware could infect my phone. But that stinks as it means I can't check the site during the day at all if I want to.

Having problems on both my phone and computer. Just spent time with Geek Squad accessing my computer to find out what was going on. He said it's a virus that has infected the website. He also said that I should be careful but that I should still be able to post, etc.

I'm glad that there are other people having the same problem.

As an update, I've had some time to look at it, and I found some things that I've corrected, but I am still experiencing some issues that i'll have to look into a little more.

I've temporarily disabled all of the plugins/additions to the site, as it may be in one of those — and I have to find out which one. Many of the add ons for the site are old and have been discontinued/no longer supported.

I've been meaning to upgrade to the newer vBulletin 5 or moving to Xenforo forum software, but haven't quite been able to set the money aside to upgrade; as I've also had to increase server costs over the last few years due to increased traffic.

If everyone can keep me updated as to how the site is going for them via this thread, so I can keep an eye on it, it would help out — I've disabled most of the more complex addons for now, as I suspect most of the issues may be coming from an old add-on that was exploited to basically hijack links on the page.

Aside from being an annoyance, there's nothing I can tell that is malicious with regard to the pop-ups that have been happening, so at least there's some good news. :p

Itrader is gone too
Hi Judy,

That's by design. I noted above that I've disabled all of the plugins to see if one of those may have been compromised and causing the popups. Right now the site is running pretty "bare-bones" with almost no addons enabled.

I want to monitor the site, and have people report in here if it continues to happen.

If it looks fine after 24-48 hours, then I need to look at and enable the plugins/addons individually and see which might be causing it so I can take a look at if:

1) the addon is necessary to the site — plenty were added early on and never really utilized
and 2) if not, if it should be removed — lots of the products installed are no longer supported with this older version of forum software that we're running, so if there is an exploit out there for that particular product and it isn't being supported or updated, it needs to not be on the site.

Throughout the day I've experienced the pop-ups . Nothing after 6:30PM UK time (Within the last 45 minutes) , I've been able to jump threads , send PM's etc . No sign of any pop-ups on recent activity which is where I experienced most of the issues

Every time I click on a thread, I get a pop up saying my Flash Player is out of date and it automatically starts to download a Flash update. I didn't open it because I know my Flash is up to date. Is this happening to anyone else?

I am getting pop ups every time I switch pages. I just keep closing them. I am using a laptop with Windows and Firefox.

I have an ad-blocker on my computer which is keeping me relatively stable. Though, I've noticed its number climbing each time I access a thread. But on Chrome the ad-blocker seems to be doing well, if that helps anyone.

~Merlin

No longer seeing any of the pop ups

On my iPad, I've been browsing various threads and selecting "Today's Posts" from the "Quick Links" meno pull-down and I am no longer seeing any of the various pop ups that have been occurring yesterday as well as earlier today.

Thanks for fixing this problem.

Speaking only for myself, I will be more than happy to make a $ contribution to help with the maintenance of this site.

I'm still having problems on my computer using Windows 7. At least now it looks like it has gone from wanting to update my Flash Drive and showing it's a virus to pop-up ads.

I have an ad-blocker on my computer which is keeping me relatively stable. Though, I've noticed its number climbing each time I access a thread. But on Chrome the ad-blocker seems to be doing well, if that helps anyone.

~Merlin

me too! Except if I have to go online at work, there's no adblocker plus on that (I don't think we are allowed to download any of those programs)

Agreed, I may not be able to support the site with any £££ right now as I need to watch what I spend, but if there are ways to help contribute to site costs I do not mind doing so eventually. (Having been out of the loop with this forum, I am unsure if there is the option to have any paid membership options or some other way to contribute to site costs.)

I will say, I have not been experiencing any of the issues that others have. I am using Chrome (Version 56.0.2924.87) with Adblock Plus.

Ditto!

I was getting it then ran multiple ad ware checkers and then basically cleaned out and reset chrome. It appeared to stop after that but we will see. Glad the admins confirmed it's not malicious.

I started getting pop-ups on Chrome (when using my computer) last night, and they haven't stopped. I've just been clicking out of them before the Flash download page loads (that's what they all seem to be), so it hasn't caused further problems on my end.

While I got hit by them initially yesterday morning, they have stopped since the update and I have tried both windows and android devices. If you are still getting hit, try deleting your browser cookies/cache data before logging back in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back