• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Piece of Movie History Pins Are Getting Out of Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piece of Movie History Pins Are Getting Out of Hand
But with such a variation on cels, would you really want to spend $20 on a pin that only has a butt, stars, or so dark you can't see anything (a la the Fantasia pins)? If Disney were to guarantee that each cel would be useful, then maybe. But until then...

Not for pin releases, but to control reentry into the parks. When you would leave, they would stamp your hand with an invisible ink that would glow under a black light. It was vaguely yellow-greenish and had a distinct odor when they stamped you. You could see it in the dark rides, and there would be names like Wendy and Mickey. When you would reenter after a mid-day nap in your hotel room, you would have to show your ticket and your hand under the light. It was to stop a group from entering, one person going out with all the tickets, and using them to bring in even more people. Now, they have the finger scans to make sure your ticket is actually your ticket.

Disneyland actually still has this. I remember back when I had an AP as a kid and there were only specific turnstiles you could use to re-enter (for some odd reason, even AP holders had to get the hand stamp). Their black light was actually affixed to the turnstile area so there were only 3-4 ones you could go through to get back in.

This is an interesting conversation. I find it amazing that there is a focus on someone buying a higher number of pins in one day because ultimately this has NOTHING to do with those who buy more than the "2" Disney allots each person. The only reason this is a focus is because you read it on the boards and are actually privy to the information. It just so happens that they are helping out others who are not able to get to the park to get the pins for themselves - no over charging, no sharking - just straight across the board, I am helping you out as I am there getting pins too. BUT, let me assure you, there are PLENTY of people in the parks buying over their allotted number of pins and THEY are the ones that are reselling on auction sites or shark trading for "good" scenes who are NOT on the boards...

This conversation is completely missing out on the other problems that customers are faced with that I think are more important than someone buying more than 2... Cast Members going through each bag, picking out the good scenes and putting them behind the counter for their friends to show up, Pins in drawers "on hold" for other guests, the VAST variation in methods of distribution of the pins and MANY other issues.

Me personally, I agree with Grim ~ we have all decided to collect these pins so we either sink or swim. We are collectors by CHOICE. No one has forced us to collect these.

The complaint of not being their on the day of release but showing up the next day and they are sold out... Well how about driving from Northern California TWO WEEKS in a row to get these pins!!! Yes, I did that. I drove for the original release date and drove back again the next week for the actual release. Yes, I created my schedule around this release. Did I complain about it? No. Why? Because I CHOSE to collect these pins, what OTHER people do with their time is NOT MY or really quite frankly your business. I know what I need to do to get the pins that I want. If I cannot be at the park, I make arrangements otherwise.

I think the bigger issue of the POMH release that needs to be discussed is how no two Cast Members know the same rules of distribution!! You can walk into any store and the method will be completely different:
*You can only see 4, if you buy 2 I will bring 2 more out for the next guest.
*Oh, we decided to do first come first serve so we as cast members went through them all picked the best scenes and put those out first. So if you came to the store late, you got the crummy scenes.
*We can only open so many bags per hour.
*Oh you want to buy 10, sure thing, no problem.
*Free for all stores - self explanatory.
*We need to sell out of the ones we have out before we will bring out another bag.
*We don't have any more in this store (5 mins later they whip out another bag of pins from under the counter).

The excuses from the Cast Members go on and on. IF Disney were to actually educate their employees that are working the day of the release, there would be less chaos, less attitude and less confusion. Stores need to be issued the same number of pins, whatever arbitrary number Disney chooses and they should all abide by the same "releasing" rules.

Bottom Line:
Disney is going to continue their methods of organized chaos ~ we either deal with it or we don't. It is what it is.

Amen! I agree to the fullest.

This is an interesting conversation. I find it amazing that there is a focus on someone buying a higher number of pins in one day because ultimately this has NOTHING to do with those who buy more than the "2" Disney allots each person. The only reason this is a focus is because you read it on the boards and are actually privy to the information. It just so happens that they are helping out others who are not able to get to the park to get the pins for themselves - no over charging, no sharking - just straight across the board, I am helping you out as I am there getting pins too. BUT, let me assure you, there are PLENTY of people in the parks buying over their allotted number of pins and THEY are the ones that are reselling on auction sites or shark trading for "good" scenes who are NOT on the boards...

This conversation is completely missing out on the other problems that customers are faced with that I think are more important than someone buying more than 2... Cast Members going through each bag, picking out the good scenes and putting them behind the counter for their friends to show up, Pins in drawers "on hold" for other guests, the VAST variation in methods of distribution of the pins and MANY other issues.

Me personally, I agree with Grim ~ we have all decided to collect these pins so we either sink or swim. We are collectors by CHOICE. No one has forced us to collect these.

The complaint of not being their on the day of release but showing up the next day and they are sold out... Well how about driving from Northern California TWO WEEKS in a row to get these pins!!! Yes, I did that. I drove for the original release date and drove back again the next week for the actual release. Yes, I created my schedule around this release. Did I complain about it? No. Why? Because I CHOSE to collect these pins, what OTHER people do with their time is NOT MY or really quite frankly your business. I know what I need to do to get the pins that I want. If I cannot be at the park, I make arrangements otherwise.

I think the bigger issue of the POMH release that needs to be discussed is how no two Cast Members know the same rules of distribution!! You can walk into any store and the method will be completely different:
*Oh, we decided to do first come first serve so we as cast members went through them all picked the best scenes and put those out first. So if you came to the store late, you got the crummy scenes.
*We need to sell out of the ones we have out before we will bring out another bag.
*We don't have any more in this store (5 mins later they whip out another bag of pins from under the counter).

The excuses from the Cast Members go on and on. IF Disney were to actually educate their employees that are working the day of the release, there would be less chaos, less attitude and less confusion. Stores need to be issued the same number of pins, whatever arbitrary number Disney chooses and they should all abide by the same "releasing" rules.

Bottom Line:
Disney is going to continue their methods of organized chaos ~ we either deal with it or we don't. It is what it is.

Agreed. This probably the biggest problem. I don't mind people buying more than 2 per day if they're willing to go to different stores, but I gave up on this series because I would get there at opening to see that I was getting my choice of the leftovers. All the scenes with characters had already been picked out by cast members who were holding them for friends.

If anyone sees violence against any people (especially children), please speak up on the spot and make sure to let others know.

I couldn't bare to tolerate anything like that, and I hope no members of this forum actually cause harm to any other person while getting pins.

:soapbox:

IF you don't like rants, then you should probably skip this thread.

Anyone try to buy a POMH pin lately? This is getting insane! I am sick and tired of people (including some here from DPF) that go and buy 50-60 of them on the day of the release, just so they can sell them on eBay. I have heard so many excuses, like people are doing favors for others, etc. but I don't buy it. I remember when they first came out and no one cared. I could buy Snow White for a month after the release. I didn't get mine until several weeks after the release and I still got good scenes. Now, I have to wait one day (ONE DAY!!!) because I have to work, and I get to the park and they are sold out?

Now, honestly, I don't entirely blame the people buying them. Hey, its a way to damn near double your money for a day's work. If you go through and buy 50 pins for $20 each and sell them for $40, you are making $1000 profit thanks to eBay. I did say I didn't blame them ENTIRELY though because they are blatantly violating Disney policy of not buying more than 2 limited edition items per person per day. I know people that have mapped out routes of how to hit every single store in the park that sells them in the fastest way possible, and they make hourly rotations going from store to store so they can buy as many as they can. At this point, I feel like these people would steal them if they could get away with it; hey, if you are breaking one rule, why not break more?

There have been fights, thefts, and little mini riots in pin stores because of these pins. I have been witness to shoving, arguing, yelling, pushing of children, destruction in stores, and other travesties. Pin sharks take advantage of lesser traders by getting them to trade $50-$100 worth of pins just for one "with a good scene".

So, my issue is two-fold I suppose. First, I cannot stand the people that manipulate and take advantage of the system, ruining it for other traders. I just wanted to buy two of each so I had a set and had one to trade. Now I can't even but one because of these people. And two, Disney has never done anything pin related to piss me off this much to date. They wristband the stupidest crap and then nothing for these pins? No stopping people from buying every damn one in the store? I watched a cast member let one person buy 20 of them in one purchase!!!

Whats worse, I heard they might continue this next year. 12 more little pieces of hell.

I know people will want to scream "free enterprise!" and "don't be jealous of those who are making money!" and "hey, that's not me, don't be pointing fingers" and "I really am just doing favors for people", but really, have you seen eBay? Just because you can get away with something doesn't make it right.

Its just one more way to me that pin trading is getting ruined by idiots without morals.

Opinions?

:soapbox:

well said, and i agree with you.
some people make a business out of a business and that is what makes people stay away from that product, it is sad but true. we can't blame people for selling these pins(I, just like you personally don't sell these pins or any pins, i just keep it fun and don't make it a business AT ALL), but we can definably blame this Idiots for taking advantage of the system and buy multiple when that is not allow. and u right, might as well still and stuff, if u breaking one rule, might as well break the others.

this is the problem, PEOPLE CAN BE IGNORANT AND SELFISH IN EVERY ASPECT OF LIVE, SAD BUT TRUE, THEY JUST THINK OF THEIR BEST INTEREST AND THEY WON'T CHANGE, JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE IGNORANT AND THEY NEVER, EVER EVER STEP BACK AND LOOK AT THEMSELVES AND THINK, WOW, I SHOULDN'T BE DOING THIS(buying multiples in same day when it is not allow), SO THEY WILL CONTINUE WITH THEIR IGNORANCE AND SADLY WILL RUIN FUN THINGS SUCH AS PIN TRADING AND OTHER THINGS.

on the positive site, lets just keep smiling and just try to enjoy disney at the fullest and look forward for the next cool POMH that will come up, since u were so direct in this thread and put yourself out there like this by saying all these about the people doing this, i can pick up an scene of your liking if u contact me for the future release if u can't make it to disneyland on time, WDW it is not nearly as bad as disneyland is when it comes to these things(i heard that disneyland is crazy and pin trading can be very tacky and sharky compared with WDW, again, not everybody, but comparing with WDW). let me know if u ever need my help and if i can get you a good scene(since i am not doing this series) i will just pick it up for you at price. :)

we can't blame people for selling these pins(I, just like you personally don't sell these pins or any pins, i just keep it fun and don't make it a business AT ALL), but we can definably blame this Idiots for taking advantage of the system and buy multiple when that is not allow. and u right, might as well still and stuff, if u breaking one rule, might as well break the others.

THIS is the SAME person...!!!

I have to say at least one person for sure IS purchasing them as favors to members online and not re-selling them. She has been kind enough to offer her help to everyone who asks.

I am thankful to her and for her really hard work. I have me er heard anyone say anything negative about how she gets the pin, running or anything, and I feel confident that she does everything above board.

She does not charge an amount over the cost she pays, and does the best she can to ensure everyone who wants one can get one.

Just wanted to make sure she got her props for doing something positive! :)

Thank you Crystal!!!!!

Vicki

YES!! Thank you to Crystal for getting me some fantastic pins this year & not charging me a cent over her cost despite her costs of gas etc & her time for going to the park & getting these. THANK YOU CRYSTAL!!

They need to put these pins in a plastic bag so you get a "random" scene. I think this will discourage horders. This will also fix the cast members getting the good scenes before the store opens.

They need to put these pins in a plastic bag so you get a "random" scene. I think this will discourage horders. This will also fix the cast members getting the good scenes before the store opens.

I think that could make it even worse. If a seller bought 5 pins and got two "good cels" and three "duds" then they would be prone to charge even more for the good ones to cover the potential losses if they can't unload the duds.

As it has been said numerous times, the mystery thing would only work if there were no "dud" cels. And at that point, if all the cels were good this problem wouldn't be what it is. Based on the scenes that have been released thus far, even if I lived near a park, there is no way I'd buy these direct if they were mystery pins. I'd much rather pay more for a cel I know I like than risk throwing away 20 bucks on a cel I don't like or that is a complete dud.

Last edited:

Bottom Line:

I agree with you somewhat. I think it's actually both reasons. I do think that only allowing 2 pins to everyone needs to be enforced. Anyone that can't be at the park for opening day simply loses out. I do not see why anyone should be able to buy for another person. Although, if true, is a nice gesture, but even YOU drove from NorCal to get these pins yourself. It's exactly how you stated it. It's a hobby, if you chose to collect these pins and if you can't make it on opening day, then someone that can make it should have precedence on the pin.

I think with any "variation" pins, covering them up in the plastic bags should also be done. Everyone gets a random pin. This way, gougers will be more discouraged on just buying up a whole lot of the pins to just flip them on ebay.

And just for the record, I couldn't make it on release day for the Lady and the Tramp pin, so I missed out. =(

I think that could make it even worse. If a seller bought 5 pins and got two "good cels" and three "duds" then they would be prone to charge even more for the good ones to cover the potential losses if they can't unload the duds.

As it has been said numerous times, the mystery thing would only work if there were no "dud" cels. And at that point, if all the cels were good this problem wouldn't be what it is. Based on the scenes that have been released thus far, even if I lived near a park, there is no way I'd buy these direct if they were mystery pins. I'd much rather pay more for a cel I know I like than risk throwing away 20 bucks on a cel I don't like or that is a complete dud.

I can totally see your point to this. I do think that ebay does establish some kind of market value to an item. So if someone were to charge an arm and a leg for a pin to make up costs, (hopefully) the buyer would just look and buy from another seller. For example, it seems like the going rate for a good cell Lady pin is around $55.00. If someone had to charge more than that to make up for the dud cells, then no one would purchase it. Or at least that would be my theory. The going rate for a dud cell (chef) is around $35. So I do not think they have the freedom of calling their price if they were covered in plastic.

At an estimated 24-36 frames per second, there is another easy way to solve the scene release issue.
Pick out 10 key frames that feature at least one of the main characters or most popular moments, then make the set 10 - 25 mini series of those key scenes for a total LE250. Add in that afore mentioned mystery pin element and it should be problem mostly solved.

As for those buying strictly for resale on the secondary market, I can't fault a leach and shark for being true to their nature. No matter what they claim or how loudly they protest, they're not pin collectors. They're simply merchants. Their love of the hobby is only in the money it brings them not the joy of finding a beautifully desgned pin or treasured moment. As materialized in comic collecting last year, we know that at some point everone may have to sell a treasured item. But if you're a pin merchant, you can at least pretend that you plan to keep it for a few weeks before sending them to the auction block.

And then Disney finds another way to address this potential problem. Look what just popped up for sale online : http://www.disneystore.com/pins-pin...01-dalmatians-pin/mp/1296428/1000211+1000995/

Last edited:
LMAO... i cant wait to read all this thread... I already find it funny.. i got hate mail and sum talking to... last time i tried to say sumthing like this. I had asked this ??? and tryed to ask ppl here what could b done and if it was ok.. seems to b a real neat mix.. if u buy the 50 pins u think its cool..and if u buy from the ppl that get the 50 ..u like it also.. SO BACK TO THE REAL POINT AND WHAT I SAID MONTHS AGO. The deal is that there are RULES... SO stop being a shark and tring to say its for friends or any other reason. 2 pins is 2 pins. and going to all the stores is still u cheating and not being a good trader. f the.... im helping ppl that are far away.... no one pearson needs to b the HERO.... we all have friends and we need to ask diffrent ppl for help from time to time so its not a small biz that we try to hide behind "the im helping ppl line" sorry...i know sum ppl already haye me for thinking this way...but with a usmc dad and a uncle in the fbi... i do try to follow rules.... and for all the crap talkers bhind my back... yes i have broke rules and im sure sumday i will agian... But i do my best to b a good guy..dad..and trader...and i follow all rules or laws to the best that i can... ok...flood gates b open.... cant wait to see how this ends up this time around.... ps.. i love u all..and we are a fam... even fam dose not always think the same as each other.

"its all about the pins"

We are collectors by CHOICE. No one has forced us to collect these.

Bottom Line:

YES! I think people forget this. We choose to collect these pins. And I do think that the rules need to be enforced better. But I will say that we need to not feel entitled to a pin, whatever pin that may be. This is pretty much the same issue that people had with the Alice in Disneyland pins, remember? People feeling they deserved a pin more than someone else. Sadly we can't all be there for these releases. If we have someone who is willing to pick one up for us, kudos. But please follow the 2 pin per person rule. Sadly we (Though Disney can) can't regulate the people who buy like 20 pins to re-sell on eBay. Its a part of pin collecting and is not something new. I think a lot of the issue is self regulation (making sure you yourself follows the rules) and pressing Disney to enforce their rules.

Here is how I think they should release the pins. Make them mystery pins, meaning, keep the cells a secret. Release them at the park, but also after a week, release them online as well (like the 101 Dalmatians that is online right now). If you get a cell with a not so hot scene, that's the luck of the draw. These pins sell out, so not everyone ends up with the best cells. That would reduce people sifting through them, cast members putting them aside for their friends, and make it even more exciting. If you get a cell you don't care for, trade it! You get a chance at purchasing 2 pins. If both pins are not that good, oh well at least you have 2 POMH pins. There are others that didn't even get a chance to buy them.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Ok I have never commented on these threads but I am finally going to . . . .

I appreciate all of the thank yous and i am HAPPY to help those of you who are unable to make it to the park. I feel fortunate to be able to live close to a park and I am ALWAYS happy to help anyone who needs anything from DLR Resort.

Now for all of you who dont like that I help others - I could care less - what I do is none of your business. The only reason that you even know that I do this is because you are on this forum. A forum where we share and discuss pins. A froum where the attitude has always been to help each other and be a pin family, and families help each other. I am sorry that you do not contribute to this attitude. But I am tired of being compared to people who re-sell on ebay and try to rip people off in trades for these pins. The reason I started asking if people here would like my help is because I saw the value of these pins from the very beginning. I knew that these pins would be one that if you could not buy directly from the parks that you would have to pay big bucks to get via ebay or high trades. So I decided to help the people here so that wouldn't happen to "my family" I go out of my way to help people and It is a shame that I am villanized because of it. I will not appologize for helping people. We have VERY different views on the same topic. That does not make my view right or your view wrong. But they are different and some people try to discuss their view every chance they get. We get it you don't approve, but that is not going to change how I live my life.

Now in response to the actual pin. If the pins were all good scenes this would not be an issue and there wouldn't be half as much "sharking" or reselling going on. That is the solution to make all of the pins good ones. IMO it is crazy that Disney thinks it is ok to charge $20 for a pin with sparkles or phallic fireworks in the frame. There needs to be some quality control with these. Fantasia - there were plenty of Mickeys and hardly any brooms which was good news to me! As for lady and the tramp - even the Chef scenes were good cells - clear shots, close ups, action shots. Everyone wanted "dogs" but the non dog scenes were still really good ones. So hopefully these pins are getting a little more attention where they are being produced.

Honestly... I think all scenes are "good scenes." Even if they are just some sparkles. YOU'RE GETTING A REAL PIECE OF REAL MOVIE FILM. They pretty much take about two minutes worth of a film strip, that was actually used, in a real theatre, and they are showcasing it for your enjoyment. You got sparkles, or a horses rear end? Boo-freaking-hoo.

Can you imagine if we had known where all the pieces from the PoHs came from? They break up a statue...

"I WANT THE CHIP FROM THE NOSE!!!"

"I WANT THE CHIP FROM THE EYE!!!"

"I WANT IT'S WHISKERS!!!"

Dear lord that would have been preposterous. These are all good pins, there are no "duds." Sure, there might be one with a pretty neat scene, but consider yourself darn lucky if you just get your hands on one.

I've always found it surprising how much pin traders like to complain. Every event I've gone to, all I hear is people saying "Where's [insert event organizer] right now? I've got a bone to pick with them." Never have I heard "Where's so-and-so, I've got to thank him for doing all the amazing things he does!" "Where's the dude that put this event/night together? He did a great job and I want to give him a pat on the back!" "Where's [artist]? He designed my HG and I want to thank him for doing such amazing artwork!!" Why do we always have to focus on the negative, and gripe and complain about it? Just look at these pins we're getting. Amidst the year of pretty not so creative pin designs, aren't these pins pretty freakin' rockin???

Okay.... went off on a tangent there.... not really sure where I was going with that.

Dancing Monkeys

[video=youtube;44Y-_JAjAwE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44Y-_JAjAwE[/video]

Here are my few cents on this:

1. There is really no merit to this thread as neither Disney nor re-sellers will change their practices based on what we think. Maybe there is a small satisfaction in finding out that there are others who feel/think the same way, but that is all. If you want to make a difference, or at least have your voice heard by someone from Disney, communicate with Disney.

2. Crystal can get herself her own scenes and sit down as a happy gal. But she does not. She tries to reach out and help other board members as best as she can. No idea who would beat on her for getting some more pins than she needs. Think logically: Would you rather have sharks get those pins or Crystal getting them for your DPF friends? By the way: THANK YOU CRYSTAL!

+1

IMO it is crazy that Disney thinks it is ok to charge $20 for a pin with sparkles or phallic fireworks in the frame. There needs to be some quality control with these.

I totally agree with this sentiment. The dud pins are probably the ones that end up on disneystore.com.

5. Thank you once again Crystal :)

Last edited:
I have no solution. I simply stopped buying them because of the hassle and also the difficulty I'd have displaying them. I had someone tell me I was lying about looking at the pins on the rack when I was trying to find one with Baloo for dd1. I was flabbergasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back