• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

GUIDE PIN BACK's (Dont lose your Lanyard Pins Ever Again)

Hey guys and girls.
I just thought I would share this with you because someone had just told me about losing a really valuable pin from their lanyard. While It may sound like I am endorsing a particular pin back (well I am) I dont even know the person I buy them from other than their screen name on EBay.

Anyways, here we go.

The rubber Mickey Backs work ok but if you ever snag a pin or you are on a ride and getting shook around, or even in normal walking, they can come loose. I am sure you haveall had ones that go on really tight and other times really loose and look for a tighter one.

Didneyland sells a binding post system to keep pins on. BAD IDEA. The small allen scres that tightens to the post puts a small dent in the post. The post is actually pretty soft and once it get this dent, it is not as strong and can bend and break. It creats a weak point.

Most of you may be familiar with the everyday tie tack bak with the little ears on both sides that you squeez to get off. These work really well and the more you pull on the pin, the tighter it gets.

Someone has taken tie tacks to the next level and made a really nice Chrome one that has a spring mechanism and it totally awesome. I also like it because it does not snag on anything like the conventional tie back's (even though they do work well)

I have a pic below of all 3 styles but I highly recomend NOT using the Binding post system. Whenever I trade with people who have them (and I always carry the wrench) I look at the pin back because most people WAY overtighten them so they wont loose their pin and you can se the big dent in the post. Pushing that into your book one time may work but when you try to remove it, the post will break.

Anyways, A picture tells a thousand words so here it is. Dont be afraid to wear your nice pins anymore. There is a solution but also dont damage your pin back.
(AS MENTIONED, THE CHROME ONES IN THE MIDDLE ARE THE BEST)

pin backs 003.jpg

GUIDE PIN BACK's (Dont lose your Lanyard Pins Ever Again)
I used the same crome pin backs on my last trip to WDW and did not lose a single pin. They are wonderfull. A must have for traders. I just kept a pocket full of regular Mickey backs when I made a trade for one of my pins that had more than one post.

I just ordered some! I was given one of the chrome backs from Nanfitz! I think it is awesome and wanted to get more. Hopefully they are the right ones. :)

:wavey: More good news; mine arrived the other day (remember, they had to travel all the way to Africa!) and they are fabulous. Just switched out the mickey backs on all my lanyard pins. so much easier than the rubber backs, and I didn't draw a drop of blood.

Thanks for sharing the great info :bowdown:

Felice

Dan! COuld you please PM me the name of the seller? I hate those locking backs but I hate losing pins even more!

So glad I found this thread! I had previously ordered the locking backs on ebay from a seller that went belly up right after my order (now I have a case open, blah blah blah). I was about to order more but I just ordered these instead. THANK YOU!!

And for anyone else who comes along, the link posted above didn't work for me (it went to a search list with over 9,000 results). Here is a link to the seller's store:
http://shop.ebay.com/disneypatriot/m.html

Someone please let me know if that wasn't the correct one so I can fix the link if necessary.

I use earring backings. They hold on VERY tightly. I have never had a problem with them.

Attachments

• ldbunch.jpg
    ldbunch.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 278
I use earring backings. They hold on VERY tightly. I have never had a problem with them.

VERY interesting!!! I would NEVER EVER have thought that. Will give it a shot, I do have the other backs on order, but can't hurt to know other avenues to take :)

VERY interesting!!! I would NEVER EVER have thought that. Will give it a shot, I do have the other backs on order, but can't hurt to know other avenues to take :)

They hold on really tight. Let us know what you think.

iamdisneydan,

Thank you for your analysis of pin backs. Although I have been a life-long pin collector, my family and I have just recently become involved in Disney pin trading. Some of my Disney pins date back to when I was a kid, so the idea of losing them off my lanyard is heartbreaking. We initially loved the idea of the wrench-backs (as we've come to call them), but after some time we realized that a) not all of them would tighten as securely as we had hoped, and b) that tightening had the tendency to strip the set screw (at least on the ones I purchased from ebay). I also had a somewhat intuitive worry that tightening the set screw would damage or fatigue the metal of the pin's pose. Sadly, my intuition was confirmed when the post off of one of my older cherished pins (a retired Aladdin pin from the '92 film release) broke off as I was attempted to jimmy the wrench lose from the back after tightening.

Now I am unwilling to endanger the integrity of my pins by using the locking backs. I am used to the standard butterfly clutch style pin back on most of my pins, but would still like some added security when showing off my pins in public. After reading such glowing reviews of these tie tack style backs, I will try them and see how it goes.

Thanks again!

I have used these on my lanyard for years. I have never lost a pin off my lanyard or backpack. And trust me they both take a ton of abuse.

I've used these gold coloured locking metal backing pins, lost two of them but the pins themselves stayed on. :)
Wouldn't trust the rubber ears ones at all.

I use the same ones as Dan and I have pins on my backpack, hat and lanyard. I have NEVER lost a pin. I've had people sneak up on my scooter and try to pull off a pin and SURPRISE - they don't pull off. I usually see them, but with these backs - I never worry. They would have to open the backpack to get them. I have some really valuable pins on my lanyard and I have never lost one. For me, that's remarkable.

FYI for those thinking the Allen wrench locks are still better than these ones:
1) The Allen wrench pin backs poke out a whole bunch whether you wear them on your lanyard, book, or backpack. If either side gets snagged or a lot of pressure is put on the back, the post bends very easily, and can break off as previous posters have mentioned.
2) The chrome military style backs are just as "permanent" as the Allen wrench ones. In fact, they might be a little more secure. If someone tries to pull off a pin on the chrome backs or if they get snagged, the spring mechanism engages harder, and it won't come out. Sometimes you need 2 hands to undo the chrome backs if they are on tight. The Allen wrench backs can easily be taken off by rotating them until the bolt loosens. It doesn't take a long time to loosen them at all.
3) even though we would all like to support Disney with more money, the price difference is very significant. You get about 10 Allen backs for $10 at the parks. On ebay, the chrome backs are 50 for $20.

Hope this helps persuade people that the chrome backs are a lot safer and cheaper to use than the Allen backs.

I bought a bunch of these, and they work great. You can not get these backs to slip off if you tried. At 20 bucks for 50, they are also a way better deal than the allen-wrench tightened backs.

I need to look into getting the middle one. Right now I use the "Locking Pinbacks" they sell at WDW with the little Allen wrench. But twice I've had pins still came off...but luckily I found it them. When I meet cast members that has the third type of back on his pin, they always tell me to keep my rubber mouse ear back because its better.

Last edited:
Another inexpensive alternative would be to cut up the "plastic" backer cards that your DisneyStore/WDI pins come on. Cut small pieces and place them between the lanyard and pin back, be it the rubber or chrome ones. We have done this and have lost the rubber mickey head backs, but not the pin! Credit goes to husband, Mr. Nightmare!

We bought some off of ebay that are from like 2005....they are in the shape of cinderella's slipper, minnie's bow, a heart and a crown, mickey's sorcerer hat, mickey's hand, and goofy's hat. We just used them when we were down there last week and they work so well....they don't fall off at all and they look cool at the same time.

Hi jess_rn!

I think you are talking about the rubber pin backs that are very much the same material as the regular black Mickey ears pin backs. I have had both of the other sets at one time or another.

I think the reason these seem to hold on really well is that they are brand new when you get them out of the package & use them. The hole for the post is there, but it has never been used. So it is always very snug when you put them on.

But with the ones I have used, after some repeated reorganizing pin bags & trading & trips, I find that they are about as reliable as the regular black Mickey ears pin back. Some stay tight, some get loose, etc.

Below are the sets I know of:

pin43637

Pin 43637: Accessory - Pin Backs - Character Icons (Set 2)

pin28803

Pin 28803: Custom Clutches & Mickey Pin Set

pin43638

Pin 43638: Accessory - Pin Backs - Character Icons (Set 1)

Yeah the top and the bottom ones are the ones we have....they worked fine all throughout this trip so I guess we will see how they hold up for next year. :)

I've noticed inconsistencies with the rubber mickey-earred pin backs, some are softer or harder than others.
I find if you go the ones that are softer, and always poke a new hole when you attach your pins, you get an amazing grip.
But going with the harder ones, and reusing the same hole over and over, they will have way more tendency to want to fall out.

Back