• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Venting .... just venting .....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Venting .... just venting .....

Merryweather

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
408   0   0
We all receive trade requests that we feel is unfair to say the least.

Being human, and loving freebies we all want something for nothing sometimes.

But today, I got a request that takes the cake for me.

The other trader offered me 69503, a GWP pin for my

or both LE 250 pins.

I almost always send a reply, even if it is a short "No, thanks. Maybe later"

This time, I have typed :"I feel good today, so why don't I give you both pins for free?"

Last minute, I have stopped myself from hitting "send" instead I hit "cancel" and deleted the pinpics request mail.

Maybe I should feel lucky that he did not offer a counterfeit HM pin?!:lol:

Thats that awesome trade assistant for ya, lol... well that was not my request but I do click every box avalible just to see which pin the other trader may be willing to trade for. Perfect exsample say I send you a trade request for 1 pin that you hate & 1 you would never in a million years trade for. How would you know I was willing to trade for that pin you hate? Insted you will sending me a reply saying no thanks for the trade & posting here about how dare I send that kind of trade to you... see if you would of known about pin #2 you would of said ok to the trade & we wouldnt be here now would we? Just saying =)

It's an imperfect system, but better than none at all.

I recieved a repeat TA request 3 times within 2 weeks from one trader. I'm sure they did not know they were repeating the request to me, or at least did not intend to... they probably saw a change in the trader count and let the TAs fly. I almost got aggrivated, but then I thought about it, and I'm sure I've unintentionally done the same at some point.

It can be frustrating I'm sure. Especially if you are one of those people to be fortunate enough to have hundreds of traders, and be flooded with TAs daily... I'm not one of those people, so that may be why it's easier for me to be ok with it.

I'm just saying, it's not always somebody trying to scam someone, and I like to enjoy my hobby and just give someone benefit of the doubt.

Yep - I see the TA as pretty much a joke - it would be better if it considered pin values - but that's next to impossible - some ppl have an LE250 that is worth several times its original price and some LE250s are worth half the original price - I don't see it so much as ppl trying to shark a pin as it is the dumbness of the TA app

Thanks for the calming replies you guys, and you surely have a point when it comes to TA.

God knows that I made my shares of similar off offers when I started out and I must have annoyed some others as well.

However, I have seen this other trader selling pins on another board and I am 99% sure that he knows what he is doing.

Sometime the TA is useful just to open a dialog. I've gotten plenty of ridiculous offers, but when I take the time to see our "matches," a counter-offer often results in asuccessful trade.

You're right, we've all done it, especially when we're starting out and don't really understand the TA fully.

However, you're also right that sometimes, they're just ridiculous. I might have you beat...

I once got a TA- it was a Hidden Mickey for this pin:

pin59550

My thought was pretty much along the lines of: "Forget the LE difference, forget the Jumbo vs. HM aspect, can we discuss the PRICE difference? I could just as easily walk to the toilet and FLUSH my $25 down the drain..."

It does kind of feel like a lack of respect to our intelligence, as well as to our wallets, sometimes, can't it? I know the people sending them *probably* don't mean it that way, but it can come off that way.

Well if you didn't want to trade the pin, remove it.

I don't think it is about her wanting to trade it or not, but that when someone is offering a trade then she would like something of current equal value.

If someone is just wanting to start a dialog or something, then they can add the note "Not an intended trade, please review traders".

It pretty simple really.

Vicki

I don't think it is about her wanting to trade it or not, but that when someone is offering a trade then she would like something of current equal value.

If someone is just wanting to start a dialog or something, then they can add the note "Not an intended trade, please review traders".

It pretty simple really.

Vicki

I completely agree with this. Just because something is on someone's trade list does not mean they have to say "yes" to an offer, especially one that they feel it is unfair. They paid their money for the pin and should be able to accept an offer that they feel is appropriate.

A note on the T.A.: Yes, it is great to send out equal/fair trade requests, but sometimes it is more of an attempt to start trying to talk to the person to see what they're looking to get for that pin, so the matches may not be great between me and that person. I always try to add a note in that case about being willing to do multiples or that I am looking to open a dialogue.

Chances are, if you look at that person's matches to you and that is all they had, I would think they were just trying to get a response in hopes to learn what you might want for that pin or to get you to look at their traders(that is what I do, anyway). However, if you look at their matches and they did have fair matches to send, then their intentions were not so great and that is a bummer...

I've made it a long standing habit to at least look at the other party's traders and make a counter offer, if possible, for the pin they want. I view the TA as a tool to begin negotiations. It has been repeatedly stated that we all view our pins with different value systems. I've also have had parties offer me LEs for my HMs; I always try to counter offer with the suggestion of something that is more fair to them and/or ask them to look at my traders to find something more equitable. Remember: Pin Karma - what ya' send around, comes back at ya' 10-fold. :)

Last edited:
Whenever I send out trade requests on pinpics I never bother to look at what each request being sent out is. If I'm looking for an le pin, I'll just click on every pin that I have that matches up to the pin...regardless whether it's a rack or hidden mickey pin that I'm offering. I know that deters a bunch of people, but my hope is at least I have something that interests the person. If they reply back. I look to see what was actually offered and start up a new dialogue.

Big long view on trading ahead. It's sort of my thought process on trading on Pinpics, but nothing is hard and fast with me...just some things I think over when looking at TAs. Please don't take it as me saying that there's only one way to trade...I'm not that rigid. :)

I've made it a long standing habit to at least look at the other party's traders and make a counter offer, if possible, for the pin they want. I view the TA as a tool to begin negotiations.
Mmmm, yes, I do this, too. But I don't always reply, even when they ask for a dialogue. The reason? Well, let's run a scenario:

Someone sends me a TA for a recent ds.com LE 250 that I just haven't gotten around to getting yet. They want one of my "Jessica as" pins, or something in that range. They put a note at the bottom, saying that they'd like to open a trade chat.

So far, so good...nothing wrong with that. So I go to their traders and look. Basically, nothing in their Traders is on the same level that they're wanting to trade at, or they have absolutely nothing in my field of interest, except maybe that one recent release I'm slacking on. This tells me that they're hoping that:

A.) I'll trade a higher value pin for multiple new releases
B.) I'll take pity on them and let the pin go for a lesser value than it's selling for, because they don't want to trade or buy at current value.
C.) They have something equal, but don't have it posted for some reason.

True, it could be C...but that's the exception, not the rule. Some people do A, and so do I, on occasion. But the longer I'm in this hobby, the more I find that the rarity is more important than the value. So even though 3 $10 pins for a $30 pin might seem like a good deal (and it IS fair, value-wise), it's not really the best way for me to go when I can get those $10 pins any time I want to, but my Trader might continue to rise in value.

So that leaves B, in which someone wants my pins, but isn't willing to (or can't) lay down an equal amount in either money, value, or rarity. I do feel bad when someone wants my pins, but doesn't seem to have anything I like (believe me, been there)...but what can I reply with? When they ask "Can I buy you something?", I always think, "Sure, but you'd pretty much have to buy the same amount as the pin you're asking for, soooooooo...you could just buy the pin you want instead...?"

"Can I buy you something?" is definitely a better tool for the rare pins, like DA LE 100s and such. In that case, it makes sense, because we're willing to pay the appropriate value...we just can't find the darn pin on ebay ever!

But back to scenrio B- It's not a matter of "my pins are better than your pins"...it's a matter of "I know what I put into my pins, and I know what I'd like out of them". For as much as some people complain about people treating their pins like gold (and I get frustrated with hostage-holding, too), I'm equally annoyed when someone refuses to recognize the amount of time, money, and effort put into my Traders.

And THAT'S when TA requests like the one Merryweather posted about get annoying.

But even if the TA isn't incredibly lop-sided, I still might not reply, because I just don't see potential after looking at their Traders. At least, not at this moment.

I've found these to be true when trading VIA Pinpics:

1.) Try and match up the values as much as possible.
We all know we're not SUPPOSE to take a lop-sided trade as an insult or personally, but it's better to eliminate the chance of this happening as much as possible, because we're all human, and things can rub us the wrong way.

2.) It's a good idea to include a note.
The only time I don't is when I feel the trade is pretty much dead even (or sometimes if I'm in a hurry). But a little note as simple as "counter offers welcome" can go a long way in the communication department.

3.) Remember, a rejection might not be about you or your pins.
We all use Pinpics for different things. I use it to keep track of things I still need to buy, of things I'm waiting for sales on, things I want less than other things. I might also be too busy to trade those weeks, I might forget, I might be leaving town soon and don't want to wait on a package...there
are any number of reasons why I might pass, even if the trade is fair.

4.) There's no need to be rude.
I'll admit, I've snapped once or twice when I just couldn't communicate well with someone. But overall, I don't reply unless I see potential (I don't like wasting time, mine or theirs), and I try very hard to NEVER be rude. This hobby of trading is tricky enough without lashing out over perceived slights, and the internet is a harsh mistress when it comes to tone and intent.

Last note (because darn, this is turning into a novel, and I need to eat soon...)

I find this:

Well if you didn't want to trade the pin, remove it.
...completely baffling. Are you saying that any pin on my Traders should match up to any pin on my Wants? If so, WHOO-HOO! I just got all my Disney Auctions LE 100 Wants for my PWP Traders! I can retire from pin trading happily!

Last edited:
...completely baffling. Are you saying that any pin on my Traders should match up to any pin on my Wants? If so, WHOO-HOO! I just got all my Disney Auctions LE 100 Wants for my PWP Traders! I can retire from pin trading happily!

But that's what you are agreeing to when you put your pins up for 'trading' there - one pin for any other pin, no matter what you or anyone else perceives their value.

I made a previous post about valuing pins into categories but it's not practicable. In the present PinPics system anyway, if you or anyone else doesn't want to trade their perceived high value pins, if you think it's worth more than the base price pins, remove it from the traders. That's why this topic exists.

Do people really look at those notes? I've written a lot of them and never had anyone make reference to them.
looking for it, and they have nothing to lose from trying. I certainly have made some trades I wouldn't have expected

I have sent numerous requests to the TA on Pin Pics and I always, always, make sure when I'm requesting a trade that it is of equal value . Only problem is, out of all the requests I have made , I got one answer . One ! Do these supposed traders even look at the requests when made ? Seems like no one is home ! :lol:

But that's what you are agreeing to when you put your pins up for 'trading' there - one pin for any other pin, no matter what you or anyone else perceives their value.

I made a previous post about valuing pins into categories but it's not practicable. In the present PinPics system anyway, if you or anyone else doesn't want to trade their perceived high value pins, if you think it's worth more than the base price pins, remove it from the traders. That's why this topic exists.

But generally, people do want to trade their high-end traders. Those people just want to trade them for the high-end pins on their wants list. It is completely unfair to expect or feel entitled to someone trading something that they paid $100 for that only comes along once in a while and get something they could get for $1 on any given day in return.

WOW cursor seriously is that what you think it means when you have high end traders on your trade list? That any old pin will do? LOL that is ridiculous how long have you been trading is my question? If you can find me a trader that trades their LE 100 for any old pin listed please let me know roflmao some people just shouldnt post their views until they KNOW what they are speaking about

And where exactly does it say THAT on Pinpics??? I have this one pin that you want: and you have this which is on my list: . Would you HONESTLY expect me to do that trade? Forget market value, I paid $25 for mine and you paid (or traded) $6.95 for yours. Is that fair in your eyes? If the roles were reversed, would you do that trade?

If everyone thought that way the ONLY pins that would be listed as traders would be junk pins.

I think most TA requests like these are the result of the following:

-Person making the TA request has a pin he wants to trade off

-He opens up then page for that pin, clicks "What can I get for trading this pin?" and clicks everything from the list of Wanted pins that appears

-Some of the offers he sends wind up being reasonable, others wind up being ridiculous

Honestly, I make and receive offers like this all the time. It's fast, easy, and results in a robust offer that gives the recipient multiple options in cases where they have several pins the sender would be willing to trade for. Merryweather, our trade last week was actually the result of me using this technique. ^_^

I've learned to just ignore the offers I receive like this, knowing that it's more likely to be the result of this particular form of TA usage rather than a real offer. It doesn't really seem like the kind of thing one should take too seriously or get bent out of shape over. As RIDisneyPinGuy said, the TA is an imperfect system.

-JD

Last edited:

...you're trolling, right? Because you can't seriously believe that.

And there's a difference between "perceiving" value (thinking a pin might be worth something in the future, or over-inflating a pin's value), and ACTUAL value (the current going rate). I have some pin on my Trades list I have paid $200 for...and you're saying I should trade it away for a $6.95 rack pin? BWAH?

As much as it's a nice little fantasy to believe so, all pins are NOT created equally.

Wow, wow, wow. Okay, then, let me ask this...what's "base price"? Do you mean original retail price? So let's say we do it your way (which is NOT standard operating procedure on Pinpics at all)...let's only list pins the pins that haven't increased in value. How would you handle jumbos, when their retail value is much greater than a rack pins? Or heck...what about framed sets? Even when you take away secondary market increase, you STILL have different types of pins that price out at different levels.

I see your logo...you think the value aspect of this hobby is dirty. It's not about PROFIT- it's about simple supply and demand. The reason they go for so much money is because they're hard to get and that many people want them. I don't WANT to pay extra, but when a pin is 7 years old, is LE 100, and is gorgeous, I know I'm going to have to battle for it. And while there might be some people who are into pins as a business, or might handle their valuable pins in a less-than-honorable way, that doesn't mean valuing your pins in an appropriate way is DIRTY. I'm not going to just IGNORE my values...again, that's like flushing my money down the toilet, and not only do I not want to do that, my husband really, REALLY doesn't want me to do that.

I'm to the point in my trading where your base-line trading system would be worthless to me- I want older pins that go for much more money. If your system was enforced, that would be it for me, because I'm not interested in base-line pins...I can get them at any time. Heck, a lot of my Wants don't even HAVE any people trading them on Pinpics now ANYWAY...adding a clause like that would kill my hobby.

All that said, there are tons of traders out there that DO trade almost exclusively in pins that don't rise in value. But looking at your Wants list, that won't really help you with things like Jessica as Audery Hepburn. I'm sure someone will eventually just hand her to you for a rack pin, though, so hang tight!

Last edited:
Don't feel bad Merryweather, I have received pin requests offers of that exact Thumper & Flower pin and they were expecting me to trade LE 250 and LE 100 pins for it!!! It is ridiculous how bad these pin requests can be. They make you want to ask the other trader "What the hell is wrong with you?!?!?!". If it is a bad trade request for me, I just delete it and don't even reply back, lol XD

Oh, and Merryweather, do you mind PMing me as to who it was that sent you that pin request? I think it might be the same person I have had these kind of problems with... among others. Thanks!!! :)

And Cursor, what you said is extremely wrong and makes absolutely no sense at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back