• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Worst packaging job you've ever received?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst packaging job you've ever received?

Alexa

Active DPF Member
Rating - 99%
205   2   0
What's the worst packaging job you've ever received in the mail? Everyone (usually) has a pet peeve when it comes to shipping out things.
My pet peeve is... Staples. It's pretty dangerous to use staples in your package because those could come up anytime and actually go into someones hand or wherever if they're not careful enough. Just my opinion.

Anyways, this guy sent me a package and used TOILET PAPER as his protection. It was actually quite disturbing and disgusting even though the tp was clean, I guess. Who knows what was on that tp. :x

Getting a pin with NO packaging.. like.. nothing to protect the pin

As long as the person makes an effort, I don't mind what they use. I can understand that some people don't have any foam or bubble wrap laying around to use.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I got a box with four pins thrown inside and two of the backs were off. That's it. No packing, no tissue, no bubble wrap. Nothing. They were just rattling around inside.

One pin with no bubble wrap, no wrap of any type, in a regular business-size envelope. I thought it was a miracle it got to me, and there were some small holes in the envelope made by the edges of the pin. Talk about a WTF? moment!

This wasn't for a pin but one time someone put something I bought online in a cereal box and then taped the whole outside to keep it closed. We put the mail on the kitchen counter, so it took me a few looks to realize it was my package and not my breakfast lol! :lol:

allenmay8 said:
Getting a pin with NO packaging.. like.. nothing to protect the pin

As long as the person makes an effort, I don't mind what they use. I can understand that some people don't have any foam or bubble wrap laying around to use.

I bought the bubble wrap envelopes. I don't do any other wrapping than that, but so far none of my pins have been damaged in the envelopes. Does that count as no packaging..? >_<

I bought the bubble wrap envelopes. I don't do any other wrapping than that, but so far none of my pins have been damaged in the envelopes. Does that count as no packaging..? >_<

While it is great to have padded envelopes, it doesn't fully protect your items. They could get smashed at anytime and the posts could get bent. It's even better to have extra bubble wrap on hand for extra protection especially if you don't have insurance.

Oh and I've had that done before. A guy sent me 20 pins with no bubble wrap. Just the pins themselves in the envelope. :x
Talk about a noisy package, right?

4 paris pins bought on ebay from a great feedback seller. They shipped them together in a ziploc bag, no padding, inside a regular no padding envelope. Loose, no cards, no packing slip.

One pin with no bubble wrap, no wrap of any type, in a regular business-size envelope. I thought it was a miracle it got to me, and there were some small holes in the envelope made by the edges of the pin. Talk about a WTF? moment!

I have had the same experience...more than once.

Runner-up: Pin that was probably wrapped in a paper towel, but not taped, so it was completely separate from the pin...sent in a plain manila envelope.

I received a pin in a regular white envelope wrapped in a single paper towel. The pin post came bent, but luckily I was able to straighten it back out. :)

I also had a problem with a trader a while ago (long story short- I made a trade, never received my pin, tried to contact the person numerous times to no avail [even though I would see them in chat almost daily], finally had to make a post about it for them to respond)...after they finally responded to me they told me they would send me back my pin and another pin off of my Wants. When I opened the package it was a completely different pin, and the extra pin had a bent pin post! LOL

I recycle everything - bubble wrap, foam padding, packing peanuts, bubble envelopes, air pillows, etc.

I do also buy bubble envelopes (size #000) in bulk, because my outbound envelopes sometimes exceed my inbound envelopes, and I would have no bubble envelopes on hand. If I buy 50 bubble envelopes that is usually enough to sustain me and DS#2, who also trades (a lot).

If you don't add extra packaging around the pins within a bubble envelope, you will have to add something else to ensure your package is at least 3/4" thick, to be eligible for USPS 1st Class Mail Parcel, and able to purchase delivery confirmation. I keep packing peanuts on hand to increase thickness -- add 2-3 to a pin package and you have added no weight, but you have added the required thickness.

Last edited:
Most of my packages have come pretty well wrapped. But I did get one from Ebay that was 5 pins in a ziploc bag, and then put in a medium sized, not bubble envelope. I just about died when I saw that, but no posts were bent or scratched. Thank goodness!

I ordered a pin bag off of eBay about a week ago... The auction was actually for two pin bags and a bunch of pins. When the box arrived on my doorstep, it seriously looked as though it had been hit by a car used as a soccer ball or something. It was completely smashed and dented. Not sure if this was the fault of the seller or the post. Luckily, all the pins were inside one of the pin bags, and therefore protected.

P.S. I've never used toilet paper, but for my first couple of trades, I have to confess myself guilty of wrapping the pins in Kleenex tissues, then inserting them into plain envelopes. Now I use bubble wrap and send pins out inside of bubble envelopes for extra protection.

disney-princess_71048_6.jpg

I'm a fast learner. ;)

The worst that I got was actually to much wrapping. The 1,000 pins that I ordered from eBay, the seller pinned each on through bubble wrap and then wrapped each one, separately, 5 times around and packing taped each. Going through 1k pins to open them all and unwrap them took 4 hours just to get them out.

Non pins though, I bought a Foreman grill and the person used carpet to pad it.

I've also had just the pin in a plain white business envelope, no wrapping, just pin and envelope, the kicker was that they didn't pay enough postage for even that so when it arrived I owed postage. When I contacted the seller to let them know, instead of refunding what I paid in postage, which was like $3 more than what they paid, he simply refunded the amount owed. It's impressive that the pin arrived unscathed.

Last edited:
What's the worst packaging job you've ever received in the mail? Everyone (usually) has a pet peeve when it comes to shipping out things.
My pet peeve is... Staples. It's pretty dangerous to use staples in your package because those could come up anytime and actually go into someones hand or wherever if they're not careful enough. Just my opinion.

Anyways, this guy sent me a package and used TOILET PAPER as his protection. It was actually quite disturbing and disgusting even though the tp was clean, I guess. Who knows what was on that tp. :x

lol yep I have had pins from trades and purchases arrive wrapped in toilet paper & kitchen paper. But I agree with most people, I hate it when a pin arrives with no bubble wrap on it. And staples are the worse - I traded with someone and they always use staples and it is so hard to get into the package as there was staples everywhere!

Over the years, I've gotten several pins just thrown in a regular white envelope with no protection. Second worse was one time someone sent me several pins thrown into a large bubble envelope with no wrapping. They didn't have pin backs for some reason and were all scratched up

OOOHHHH!!!Alexa
You brought up the best Pet Peeve of mine!I go crazy when I get a pin in the mail with"NO"wrapping...I have gotten from overseas
a pin in a thin brown bag NO padding/in the USA~~NO padding white business envelope pin sticking out the back of it,and a few clanging against each other
in a white envelope(Mailperson DON)that delivers my mail goes"Judy will not like this one."when he handed it to me,I go darn it what the heck is this?
Don goes "I knew you would not be pleased."and said "Handle it girl."and drove off.I have had small brown/tan envelopes with bubble wrap and pin thrown in,
pins wrapped in peanuts in white envelope,toiliet paper,kleenex with aloe on them,I have had it all now!And the most disgusting thing is"PINS that smell of smoke!
That drives me crazy!

Judy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back