• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PIN PICS (Wants / Trades Accuracy) Case Study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my 2 cents:
I mean no offense and only aim to provide some constructive criticism.

I think the reason there's quite a bit of animosity in this thread is the frustration of some of the posters with the OP that could be resolved with a slight change to posting.
There are an enormous amount of threads started by Dan which do provide a bunch of insightful, albeit lengthy, information. Sometimes these posts have a slightly "This how you should think" tone to them, ie. the opinions in this thread presented as a "factual case study." I think this is where the opinions that Dan is claiming to be the "All-knowing of pin trading" is coming from.
Frustration also seems to be stemming from Dan's response to opposing viewpoints. In this thread, opposing viewpoints were presented, but Dan responded with a "poor little me" type response about going to get the rope and going back to the chalkboard punishment.

I think some ways to resolve this would:
-be more concise with posting, people don't always like reading books
-make notice that you're stating things as opinions and theories rather than facts
-take opposing viewpoints which are key to a healthy discussion
-it also might not be necessary to post in nearly every single thread

Just my 2 cents

:wavey::wavey::wavey:

Last edited:
OK, first ROCKE01.
How about a break in sentance! lol

Yes! I admitted I learned and I do read every post when I am the one who started the post especially. I have stated clearly that I do NOT KNOW ALL but maybe I come across that way. I added the musical notes showing I am talking happily.

And we all know I am never at a loss for words. I can make any short story LONG.......

And yes! POOR ME whaaaaaaa Call a waaaaaaaaambulance. Maybe you just dont know my personality or sense of humor no matter how demented either are. I have said it before that I actually learned a lot. I have learned that backpeddling is not necessarily bad, it means to rethink things.

I appreciate that although they are long (did I mentione LONG) post ocassionally you think I give good information. I dont mean to come across as a know all. Far from it. I have only been doing this 3 years but I do try to read and research as much as I can and I would say much more than the average person. Then I try to pass on my newfound knowledge for the benifit of others.

I dont agree with every post, and I comment about it. I never expected everyone to agree here either. When I say "WHAT DO YOU THINK" That is directly asking for your comments and opinions. You also may never believe this but I thought through my ROPE reference which was leading to me doing a magic trick (which is posted on the anything goes section)

I bet you thought Andy Kaufman was an a$$h&*e too. Some get him, some dont. Maybe he is a comic Genius and its hard to relate to him. maybe I am a genius and its hard for you to relate to me! (Did I open a door or do you find the humor in that) Insert Laugh Line.....hahahahaha

If I write in italic would it be more soothing?

Rocke01, I know you know me and YES, when I feel a certain way, I dont back down, but if I say it's blue and peple show me it was purple, I am actually humble enough to admit is. (I know a shock to both of us...lol) Thats the part I dont get. I have admitted this post has taught me a lot, that I have different vuews and opinions now but people cant seem to get to the real subject of this discussion and that is I think the wants and trades are far from accurate.

In a nutshell, had I posted it this way none of this would be in debate, however, I think this has been a great debate and I have learned so much from so many people.

My Relisting (Hindsight) I have done a CASE STUDY and these are my findings. Now that would have been the correct way (see I do learn) but do you think there would be over 1000 views and so many post. This is an AWESOME thread.

And in closing (should be short but Dan is a nut, he did say in closing) I dont take anything personally unless I hurt someone. Rocke01 is a good friend and I like her and her room mate very much. On the other hand, she will debate me and call me out more than anyone. Not that we dont like each other, we just have DIFFERENT OPINIONS of things.

I know, lets all be stepford wives and like the same stuff and do everything the same. What fun would that be.
I'll tell you what I would really like and there is PLENTY of ammunition.
A Roast for iamdisneydan. I can see it now. No, not poor me. The difference is I know I have a BRAIN DISORDER and you all think you are normal! I would love to see all the pet peeves people have and crap they could talk freely. But there are kids on this site so maybe next time........

The fire has been fueled (and I did not use SPELCHK EITHR!)

Last edited:
Oh Yeah,
WDWJUAN

I think some ways to resolve this would:
-be more concise with posting, people don't always like reading books
SOME PEOPLE DO. THEY LIKE A LOT OF INFORMATION AND I HAVE A LOT TO SAY.
-make notice that you're state things as opinions and theories rather than facts
YOU USED IMPROPER GRAMMAR (you're state ) OR MAYBE YOU MEANT TO SAY YOU'RE STATING (SPELLCHECK?)
-take opposing viewpoints which are key to a healthy discussion
I SAID I LEARNED FROM ALL THE OPPSOING VIEWPOINTS. I THINK THAT MEANS I TOOK THEM RIGHT?
-it also might not be necessary to post in nearly every single thread
I ENJOY THIS FORM AND POST ARE LIKE CONVERSATIONS AND I READ THEM ALL AND I LIKE TO COMMENT ON THINGS I READ. IT MAY NOT BE NECESSARY BUT IT IS MY CHOICE. SOME PEOPLE LIKE THE COMMENTS. MAYBE ITS NOT NECESSARY TO MENTION THIS. THERE ARE MANY OTHER PEOPLE WHO POST IN EVERY POST. WHY SINGLE ME OUT? (poor me.....)

Pretty cool when rather than getting the point of what you are saying you get people commenting on everything other than what the post was meant to convey including incorrect spelling, grammar, etc.

And all you wanted to do is make a few points about how this could have been resolved.........

AND IF YOU CANT FIND HUMOR IN THE CHALKBOARD JOKE..... I MEAN COME ON!
(and as mentioned the rope was a lead in to a magic trick.....duh)

More lighter fluid please!

Last edited:
I was going to come in and make some sort of joke that even though I'm new here, it was probably my turn to take a swing at poor Dan for no reason. :) But then I realized he lives one town over from me, probably within ten or fifteen minutes of my house, so I thought better of it!

Poor dude's taken alot of guff in this thread, but I do have to say, big ups to him for sparking an interesting discussion about something that I'm really loving as a newbie pin collector (and something that really surprised me as I started to learn how stuff works). I happen to come from a collectibles background invested in particular hobbies where literally EVERYTHING is always available on eBay, and values are generally agreed upon according to lowest Buy-It-Now prices. So it's super-strange for me to wander into a new hobby where some people use eBay; others use Pinpics' Trade/Want rankings; some use date of release, Edition size, and/or original price; and still others just trade whatever they have, for whatever they think looks cool. It's really fun, and at the same time it makes it far easier for a newbie to enter the hobby by skating between the different camps making different types of trades.

So yeah, big props to Dan for an interesting discussion! Maybe we can meet up some time since we live so close together, carpool to the DSF or something, and I can pick up some tips on this awesome hobby.

-JD

Last edited:

Juan...

:bowdown:

That's it exactly...and much less convoluted than I tried to make it.

It's harder to concentrate on the topic presented when the post itself makes you twitch. That's all we were saying before it all got blown up.

By now, I think everyone has gotten the point, anyway...

<3

If they have not gotten the point, they are all DEAD HORSES.
(That was FUNNY, get it? Beating a DEAD HORSE.....)

Fonzie could not say it but I can.

I was Wron I was Wrrrrrrr I was.............. I was not thinking.

Oh Yeah,
WDWJUAN

-make notice that you're state things as opinions and theories rather than facts
YOU USED IMPROPER GRAMMAR (you're state ) OR MAYBE YOU MEANT TO SAY YOU'RE STATING (SPELLCHECK?)

Pretty cool when rather than getting the point of what you are saying you get people commenting on everything other than what the post was meant to convey including incorrect spelling, grammar, etc.

Easy there dude. I made no comment about grammar or spelling at all in my post. *cough*hypocrite*cough* But yes, I did mean to say "you're stating."

And I fail to see the humor (I see the effort, but not the humor)... maybe you're just not funny?:dunno:

See, you took it personally. I was making this point to everyone because many choose to pick apart my grammar and not using spell check.
And I never claimed to be funny which is why I am not a comedian, I choose magic that speak for itself.

And please Juan and everybody. If your not having fun, dont play. I am not upset, being mean, just having fun. A lot of people (I did not say everyone) have poked at me. I used yors as the example. Could have been anyone but you were there.

I also picked on Rocke01 who basically stuck up for me but she knows I mean it in fun.

And maybe you dont see the humor because you were looking for something else?

I wonder if I went back through this thread and broke it down, if I could divide it into a sort of East Coast / West Coast hip-hop type confrontation.

Just random musings as I watch the WDW guy and the DLR dude going at it over grammar.

-JD

I wonder if I went back through this thread and broke it down, if I could divide it into a sort of East Coast / West Coast hip-hop type confrontation.

Just random musings as I watch the WDW guy and the DLR dude going at it over grammar.

-JD

Turf war! You just don't know what it's like growin' up on Main St. USA.....

Haha, exactly. The mean streets of Hollywood Pictures Backlot. *flashes gang sign*

I guess that's the real question, though, right? Who gets the "W" handsign, West-coasters or the WDW folks!?

-JD

-JD

LOL well I'm actually in LA now, live in TX, but spend tons of time at all 6 US parks
but if we're claiming turf, I call epcot
:rock::fig:

I dont mean to come across as a know all. Far from it. I have only been doing this 3 years but I do try to read and research as much as I can and I would say much more than the average person. Then I try to pass on my newfound knowledge for the benifit of others.

Instead of treating it like a never-ending project, why can't you just enjoy the hobby as a HOBBY and not as a job? We don't need research and extensive case studies and all this other nonsense to be able to trade a pin with someone. I'd prefer to still be able to see this as a fun hobby, not a job or a class in college.

WDWJuan, you said it best.:bigthumb:

Patronus - Some people just enjoy hobbies in different ways. Personally, I researched this hobby for about a year before even really buying any pins. For some of us, alot of the fun is in the research, the learning, and the exploration of something new and different, along with of course actually finding and owning the pins we want.

-JD

Instead of treating it like a never-ending project, why can't you just enjoy the hobby as a HOBBY and not as a job? We don't need research and extensive case studies and all this other nonsense to be able to trade a pin with someone. I'd prefer to still be able to see this as a fun hobby, not a job or a class in college.

I don't know about the rest of you, but *I* can use all the help I can get from other's research and case studies in order to figure out how to make a *good* trade. And, I could really have used it when I was first starting in the hobby, 'cause I was pretty clueless regarding how to determine "equality and/or fairness" when accepting or making trade offers.

And to be fair, I just used the eBay prices AND the wants/trades ratios to explain to another trader why a DA LE250 and an open lanyard/pin set was not equal in trade for two DA LE100 pins. So, based on my personal experiences, I have to say that I agree with Dan except when I choose to disagree with him.

LOL... I think I am the opposite! I disagree with Dan, except when I choose to agree with him! BTW, I do tend to use too long of sentences Dan. Thanks for noticing. You use long postings and I use long sentences. I will call that a draw... LOL.

I think all information is useful but it doesn't mean you have to use it. We should all trade in a way that is comfortable for us. If you do not feel good about a trade don't make it. I have traded tons of trader pins for a single pin before. As long as both sides are satisfied with the trade then it is a good trade.

I wanted to say that I think Dan spells things wrong so the "newbe" traders won't make the mistake of thinking he is all knowledgeable. It is his subconscious seeping through in an effort to show his more human side. It is his way of showing imperfection... LOL. No offense intended oh "Topic Magician". My only other thought is that Dan frequently refers to himself as a magician, correct? Magicians are based on illusion and slight of hand. Since this is the internet and all we can do is write I think it would be alright to say slight of wording in Dan's case...LOL... Have a good day Dan. Tag your it!

Props to erudolf for the Christmas Party example - oh my word that was well timed (and I completely stole it for my FB page)!

Huge props to TBGITB for his sense of humor and visit to the chalk board...but next time, remember to bang the erasers afterward, eh? [[[giggle!]]]

CHEERS to the mods who let people say their piece (and perhaps even 'peace') and didn't immediately lock up the thread just b/c things got a tad wonky. Bravo. Free speech lives at DPF!

*FALLING TO THE FLOOR.... KAAAATHUNK....LOL

I am waiting for the heavens to open and the angels to start singing!.... *looks toward the sky.... LOL

And please Juan and everybody. If your not having fun, dont play.

Maybe if you wouldn't INFECT every thread with your nonsense, people wouldn't be as upset. Maybe if you left us some threads without your commentary, people would be more accepting of your opinions. Just a thought....
:wavey::rock::hug::salute::soapbox::hatbox::fig::phineas::lgm:

Come on guys play nice. Everyone has a right to their opinion. If you do not want to read Dans "nonsense" don't! We can all write our opinions about things. If you feel Dan if full of it just don't read his postings. I try not to at times but they call to me late at night.... LOL

Come on guys play nice. Everyone has a right to their opinion. If you do not want to read Dans "nonsense" don't! We can all write our opinions about things. If you feel Dan if full of it just don't read his postings. I try not to at times but they call to me late at night.... LOL

I know but I posted some constructive criticism and he decided to misconstrue it into "you're yelling at me about grammar!" That's when I decided to go off on him -- I was trying to be constructive, but he just decided to be argumentative.
Our issue is when he voices an opinion about EVERYTHING , it seems a bit unnecessary and there doesn't seem to be any topic that he doesn't voice an opinion on. All we are asking for is some threads where he doesn't voice his opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back