• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

R.I.P. Piece of Movie History Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
R.I.P. Piece of Movie History Pins
I am very sad to hear the series will be coming to an end but my wallet will be happy. Some of the pin's have gotten way out of hand with the prices they are going for.

I"ll believe it when I see the new year with out a new POMH pin. They are still mining the POH pins. $50,000 a pop, guaranteed sell out, someone should be fired if this can not be worked out.

I love them but I won't miss standing in line for hours by myself while others bring children off the street and buy them all up to sell on eBay. Before I can get one they've purchased 8-10 and now I have to buy mine on eBay! It's become such a business that it makes it difficult for people like me who just love and want to own one.

We understand the studios decision. Films need to be preserved. not cut up frame by frame and placed inside a pin for profit. We like the series of pins but even our animation friends were skeptical and such.

There is always still hope that someone big in this decision can change their minds and we will still see PODM's next year. It's a bummer for me too just starting on this collection as well. I'm even working on a design for a lighted display case so I want to make it big enough incase they change their minds.

We understand the studios decision. Films need to be preserved. not cut up frame by frame and placed inside a pin for profit. We like the series of pins but even our animation friends were skeptical and such.

This doesn't make sense to me.....Why can't they just make more or make them specifically for the pins. I highly doubt they are dipping into the Kansas salt mines to pull out these films and cut them up. Like Tangled....relatively new movie....they got those images on film somehow and I don't think it was by dipping into the archives.

And they have sold cels like this for years for profit. They used to have little trading cards that contained a film cel but I don't think they were ever that popular. And look at the Brave frames containing cels that were just sold by DSF. And then sell actual animation cels all the time....this is no different.

These are not original films. like every movie theater that ever played one of these movies back then had a film reel. They produced hundreds maybe even thousands of copies im assuming. I think their profit margin just isn't high enough for the extra effort on these pins so they are stopping. I don't collect these as a "set" but if I did I'd be mad. It's like people invested all this money and they stop without actually finishing the series. I mean they don't need every movie but stopping before sleeping beauty is produced? At least finish the classics. Dumb...

I just started getting into the PODM festivities and I'm pretty sad. I think out of all the pins I've seen, these are so beautiful because each one is unique. I guess at least they are doing Beauty and the Beast because that is one of my most favorite Disney films!

So bummed. I wanted some herculies scenes.
On top of that I also wanted villians ! Helloooo they could have gotten bank from just releasing villians.would have loved to get a picture of Hadies and Meg and Ursula as Vanessa with Eric. Ugh!

I am excited about the beauty and the beast. I'll go and hope I get a good belle and beast scene but I'd DIE if I got a scene with Lumiere and Cogsworth! <3

Other then that not to excited- only reason why I was going to Lion King was in hopes someone would trade me an Ariel one.

its actually PODM there is no "history" in disney official title for these pins.
Piece
of
Disney
movies

The POH is
Piece
of History
a separate set that has bits of actual construction material from retired or refurbished attractions.

Sleeping Beauty would be my favorite one to have! It sucks if this info is correct. But I am ready for the insanity to end. I don't know how I'm going to finish off the set--can't take one Thursday off a month now that the pins are not lasting to the afternoon like the were before. Does anyone think it will get less crazy with the predicted releases for the fall not being of such popular movies???

Would LOVE

LONESOME GHOSTS and, one of my favorites.... PLUTO'S CHRISTMAS TREE!!! May I request someone put me on their "buying for list" this early? :)

Would LOVE

LONESOME GHOSTS and, one of my favorites.... PLUTO'S CHRISTMAS TREE!!! May I request someone put me on their "buying for list" this early? :)
lol, Id love to be on just about every future buying list (Steamboat willie, mulan, and beauty and the beast)
Okay so not every, but half, lol

*cough**hint*PM us possible sellers*hint**cough*

Would love to have seen pins of the villains of the pomh pins that were released, to have old hag/ evil queen together next to the snow white pin would of made my day

It is a shame for those collecting them as a set - but I'm not complaining. I'm actually hoping that by some small stroke of luck I can get my hands on a Beauty and the Beast one for under $100. Since they started I told myself I wouldn't spend so much on one unless it was my BatB! Have to wait and see...

I am another one that loves Pluto's Christmas :)
I have watched that every december since I can remember and it makes me laugh every time!

Just thought Id post this response I got from WDW

Dear Chris,

Thank you for contacting Merchandise Guest Services. At this time, we
don't have information regarding the discontinuation of the Piece of
Disney Movie Pins. Please accept our apologies for the disappointment
this may cause.

Valerie
Merchandise Guest Services

I'll throw this out there, not sure if it is an issue or not. Sleeping Beauty was originally released at 70mm, and I found something on the internet that the re-releases in the 70s and 80's were also primarily 70mm. Maybe Disney primarily has 70mm copies and not a lot of 35mm versions of Sleeping Beauty to cut up? 70mm film is twice as big, so to use that would require major reworking of the pin, and it wouldn't match the rest of the series.

Hello I am new here, but I used to be a film technician and I have a small amount of experience with chopping up actual film strips. Hopemax is totally onto something.

I believe what Disney means by "not enough films," is not in reference to running out of Titles to make pins for, it's about the number of actual reels in existence. Of course, you can get lots of frames (one frame in each pin) from one film reel, and there are about 6-10 reels in one copy of a feature film. However, with the newer titles of the PODM pins, apparently the pin makers are more selective about the scenes which go into the pins. It's not that they will just cut the first 2000 frames from one reel and put all of those into the pins - they cut into several copies of each film in order to get scenes that we consumers wish to have. So, say there are 10 copies of Tangled in the Disney Archives (they have to use film reels that were never run on theater projectors, because those have lots of marks, scratches, and other imperfections). They may have to cut into 3-4 of those entire copies just to get all of the scenes that the pin manufacturers want. Which is really, really expensive, especially in the case of a very old film, where very few copies exist in the first place (e.g. Sleeping Beauty). And I'm sure that makes the archivists rather unhappy = creative arguments & disagreements.

Anyway, this is just another viewpoint of it, from someone who actually works with film. But that won't stop me from getting my Lion King PODM pins on thursday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back