• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Time for my rant...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for my rant...
Good thoughts Vixy. I used to have a sheet to track all trades going in, going out but then I got tired of it. I am sure my owns/wants/trades is not up to date - mainly because I "hold" pins back on PP (not putting it on my owns or trades) in case something better comes along (especially when it isn't Belle, Mulan, Silver Mist, Little Green Men, or Star Wars. It sometimes is a chore to add things to the owns/wants/trades list - a chore I tell you! Sometimes I'll add it, sometimes not. Guess it depends on my mood. But if it really isn't a pin in my core collection, I at least try to remember that I got it (lol, who knows how long my memory will hold that?) and sometimes immediately send out a PP request (what can I get for trading this pin?) even though I don't add to my trades list.

Lately, I've been winning auctions that are neither on my wants list nor my core collection - so neither will change. I typically - though not all the time - bid pins I have duplicates of (so in case I do win an auction for something I don't really want, at least I still have another of that pin I bid). And I definitely don't put something in my owns list until I've gotten it (even then, it will have to be my core collection OR something that I don't really want to give up easily).

I do think it's the competition....the thrill of the chase so to speak. Win, win, win! After all, who doesn't like winning?

Last edited:
After all, who doesn't like winning?

300.sheen1.lc.022511.jpg

To add to what I said about it being entertainment... it's also got some of the same allure as gambling, and for *both* sides. When you put a pin up for auction, you might get grails, or you might get pins you hate! You enter into it knowing you *have* to pick one of the bids. When you bid, it's like betting in a card game. Someone else might bid better than you, or nobody might want to bid anything close to what you did, and then you wonder if you needed to bid that high.

It is gambling, in a sense. And that can certainly be addicting. But it can be lots of fun in moderation.

This started to happen to me too, so heeding the secretary's blood in my veins, I started a spreadsheet! One for auctions I'm in, with the date ending and what I've bid and what I'm bidding on; one for pending trades; one for pins that are coming to me, so that I know what I'm going to have that I haven't added to pinpics yet.

...yeah, I'm a huge dork. :D

Yea for spreadsheets!!!! My husband calls me the "Spreadsheet Queen" I just think everything looks better and more manageable on a spreadsheet! I'm a dork too!!! :)

Just to be clear, that is my suspicion. I can't prove it but when I look at who is bidding on which auctions and then watch trades/owns lists never change....just saying I suspect it is going on. And if you watch, you will see the same characters going gaga over each others auctions. Not saying that those aren't always legit, but it seems to me they are more free with their bidding because it is their buddy and if it were someone else they wouldn't be throwing down those bids.

I hope this is not the case as this would completely ruin the auctions. If this is the case, I believe this may be a result of not allowing reserves, there is no other reason I can think of for why people would want to do this.
I personally don't like to put any highly valued pins on because I dont want to risk being low balled.

I would be careful though before jumping to conclusions based on the people's pin pics being updated or not. I for one always forget to update mine, and it usually takes someone sending me an offer or a request for a pin that I no longer have.

I know someone in this forum that likes to get duplicates of pins for trading, I keep telling him that our wants/trades list never change, and I dont know what I can trade with them. Their response is that they are always looking for certain pins for traders, so they dont mind duplicates.

Another example is pins that everyone wants to trade for. I have so far purchased 3 LM hinged story book pins and I am still in need of one, as ppl here in FL want DSF pins and I always end up trading mine. :(

Anyway, just wanted to make those two points. 1. Maybe we should revisit auction rules, especially for reserves, and 2. I hope its not happening, as maybe people are just not updating.

that was my rant! next?

I personally don't like to put any highly valued pins on because I dont want to risk being low balled.

I was a little worried about that at first, but... is there anyone here who'd actually *do* that? I know I'm new still, but everyone that I've interacted with here is pretty responsible. I haven't encountered anyone that I think would intentionally offer, like, a Hidden Mickey for an LE pin or something. If I don't have anything that would be a decently fair bid from that person's wants, I just don't bid.

(I'm considering a lowball offer to be not the same thing as an offer of pins I just don't want. If it's, say, an LE 300 for an LE 300, just one I don't collect at all, that's not a lowball offer, it's just bad luck for me.)

Am I just too optimistic? Has anyone actually received a lowball offer that they were forced to take because there were no other bidders?

I share your frustrations so you are not alone. There have been several auctions where I looked at the bids and thought "Are you people crazy?!?!?!?! What are you doing?!?!?!"

To add onto what you said, there have been two other points that have been bothering me:

1) I think some people are working together, placing bids for each other as a safety net, "picking" that person if they don't like the other bids, and then never completing the trade. It is that last part that bothers me. If a friend bids on your auction, fine, but complete the trade so that it is fair to everyone else.

2) It is somewhat of a popularity contest. Some auctions won't do as well as they should and others will do way better than they should simply because of the person who is auctioning it off. I know I'm somewhat guilty of this. There are auctions I won't even look at because I don't really want to deal with the person conducting it or I suspect they aren't playing fair (referring to point 1).

That is exactly how I feel! I am new here and I do not have the greatest pins but I tried 3 auctions of LE250 pins ( 110th legacy) and I got 3 bids total I think. I know it was my fault for not having them on the cards BUT REALLY? not even a crappy pin bid? I basically gave away my stitch LE250. I know those are the risks when auctioning off items but I do feel like I get the cold shoulder. THAT is why in 10 days when I am in WDW I will be loading up on some of the nicer pins out there ( if available).

lol

I wouldn't know where I was if it weren't for spreadsheets. I have one for Mickey's Circus, one for pins I traded but haven't received yet, one for pins I want to purchase when I go to the park, I love spreadsheets. And formulas - what a lifesaver. I hate math and they make it so painless.

Li, that wasn't much of a rant, but I feel your pain. When people started getting carried away I stopped bidding and stopped looking. Guess I have strange ideas about what is value. I've given up Trade Auctions and am just waiting and hoping that Mickey's Circus will be worthwhile.

I was a little worried about that at first, but... is there anyone here who'd actually *do* that? I know I'm new still, but everyone that I've interacted with here is pretty responsible. I haven't encountered anyone that I think would intentionally offer, like, a Hidden Mickey for an LE pin or something. If I don't have anything that would be a decently fair bid from that person's wants, I just don't bid.

(I'm considering a lowball offer to be not the same thing as an offer of pins I just don't want. If it's, say, an LE 300 for an LE 300, just one I don't collect at all, that's not a lowball offer, it's just bad luck for me.)

Am I just too optimistic? Has anyone actually received a lowball offer that they were forced to take because there were no other bidders?

I think lowball is really in the eye of the beholder, you know? Maybe someone doesn't intentionally mean to 'lowball' you, but it just may not be what you were hoping for, or you only get one bid and you were hoping for more of a variety. I mean, in my personal experience, I've never been like really disappointed or upset over an auction, but I did get very minimum activity on mine and it's made me hesitant to auction with any of my 'better' traders (They aren't high end, but they are all I got :lol:). I just can't figure out whether it's because the pins I'm auctioning off or run of the mill, or I'm auctioning off the wrong pins, or I'm too "picky" with my wants (though I've expanded them a lot now), or if it comes down to the popularity thing erudolf mentioned earlier.

So as far as being low-balled, I do think it can happen even if not intentionally. It's all a matter of perspective. Some people have no qualms about risking a pin or two because they have a few high end traders to spare. Some people have no qualms about risking a pin because, hey, that's just the way they trade. And some people (like me) don't want to risk a pin because every pin and penny in this hobby counts. ... Or some other fourth thing (Story doesn't mean to neglect anyone here =>)

Part of why I returned to DPF was the fun that people were having with the open, fair auction process with no constrictive "you must trade whether you want to or not" rules. As soon as the ability to say no thank you was removed from the process, I stopped participating. Which was a shame because there were more auctions I wanted to try. But I too am not going to risk the rare pins I was considering putting up for auction for something way less than their value.

If there was a reserve to protect the auctioneer just like reserves are allowed on ebay, I'd be participating again in a heartbeat with some cool pins.

Yes, I have seen someone intentionally offer a hidden mickey pin for an LE pin. So, unfortunately, it does happen :(

That is exactly how I feel! I am new here and I do not have the greatest pins but I tried 3 auctions of LE250 pins ( 110th legacy) and I got 3 bids total I think. I know it was my fault for not having them on the cards BUT REALLY? not even a crappy pin bid? I basically gave away my stitch LE250. I know those are the risks when auctioning off items but I do feel like I get the cold shoulder. THAT is why in 10 days when I am in WDW I will be loading up on some of the nicer pins out there ( if available).

lol

Wow, that totally bites!

I'm sorry NChouser! I know I haven't bid in your auctions because I just wasn't interested in the pins. It wasn't anything to do with you personally, I promise. I'm still new here too; I don't have a lot of close friends yet or know who's popular with who. It's just about the pins. I don't bid on the ones I don't like or collect, no matter who the people are. (For instance I'm not bidding in any of the PODM auctions, or the Marquees.) I am sorry that it makes you feel like getting the cold shoulder. That must suck. :(

There was one exception where I bid on pins I didn't really want, and it wasn't the person (who I didn't know well) but the game itself; disneypirate's chain auctions, where he gave points for participating that carried over to the next round. That seemed like a fun game. It still wasn't about the person, though.

With my auction, I hoped I was getting in on the Brave wave while it was still good, but I had a horror of being just too late and everyone going "OH GOD NOT ANOTHER BRAVE PIN" and being sick of it. :)

I chose a really obvious one, though. Sometimes it's hard to know what's hot. It seems like PODMs and Marquees and such will continue to be, and Beloved Tales and Tangled. And Jessica? I don't really know what else...

I think for people that avoid eBay the trade auctions are the best, or only, chance for them to acquire a rare pin they want. They may be offering up pins with eBay value above the auctioneer's pin value, but they are happy because they don't get into eBay prices. Then there are other folks that do watch eBay and they know what a pins value is and know they won't bid more, even if other people are willing to go more.

I get frustrated with the people that call out ties on the leaderboard. That is just asking for more and should be stopped. I say NO MORE TIES on the leaderboard of an auction. Pick one, and let the other bid more or not. That's like an eBay seller having their auction end, and then letting the high bidder know they need to pay, just a bit more to make them happy. I think it's unfair to the bidders.

Yes, I have seen someone intentionally offer a hidden mickey pin for an LE pin. So, unfortunately, it does happen :(

Oh, that sucks! :(

Part of why I returned to DPF was the fun that people were having with the open, fair auction process with no constrictive "you must trade whether you want to or not" rules. As soon as the ability to say no thank you was removed from the process, I stopped participating. Which was a shame because there were more auctions I wanted to try. But I too am not going to risk the rare pins I was considering putting up for auction for something way less than their value.

Hm... do you think they might reconsider having the reserve again? I think it'd still be fun, and then maybe more people would participate...

Hm... do you think they might reconsider having the reserve again? I think it'd still be fun, and then maybe more people would participate...
I wish they would reconsider it, but I've seen no indication that they will. :(

Well, I wish I read your posting before starting my own auction :-(

I put up a Jumbo Haunted Mansion T-Shirt thinking I'd have 4-5 bids by now, and nada. Now I'm afraid I'm going to end up parting with the pin for a Hidden Mickey. Sigh...

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa... I said to wait till I got back... Did I miss Steamboat Willie.... Grrrr... Well since this whole rant is about something I created here... I guess I should give my opinion on the topic of Auctions...

I'll begin with why I created them to begin with... Simply because trading here or with another person anywhere can be frustrating as I have ranted about before... With trade offers goin back and forth and once someone finds out you want the item... Well it is now gonna cost you more... Grrr... With a trade auction, once offers are placed, I choose the winner and the trade is done... That's it... it is done... No more haggling or goin back and forth it is done...

Second reason is... I like to Gamble and take risks... Auction give me that excitement...

Final reason is... I can get pins I want without pulling money out of my pocket...

Now who benefits from auction and who does not....

Auctions by far favor the old time traders, those who have many pins...

As far as the newer traders who have less to bid with, yes the concept of auctions do not favor you on the bidding side of things, as a matter of fact, it is nearly impossible for you guys to win sometimes... I am thinking of ways to make this an environment that more people could participate in, but due to my wants personally which I will talk about shortly... this is tough to make happen...

The Auctioneer... This person is the one taking the initial risk... As a person who has ran many of these, I will give you what the typical results for the auctioneer are...
20% of the time you will lose on the item you put up, or post auction issues cause trade to fall through
20% of the time you will break even, this is getting some pins you like, but nothing special or Getting traders you do not collect of slightly higher value...
60% of the time you will make out like a bandit... bids way over the value of the item you are auctioning...

Main factors that determine success... Hype, Timing, Pin Desirability, Durration of auction, and good trading feedback...

What works best for me personnaly and why...

My best auctions for a return of pins I am looking for requires me to have my auction items range in the $75 - $150 range... This is mainly because of what I am looking for in return... As everyone knows we are all about PoDM's... If I put up an auction for a pin that is valued at $40 then I will be lucky if I get any PoDM's offered... But if it a $125 pin that people want... I can almost guarantee I will see cells offered... Again for me to get the bids I want, I need to risk something significant for it... Another thing that helps is we have a large wants list...

What is the benefit of a auction...

When run properly it is a win win situation, with both parties getting what they want...
Traders who have a large assortment of pins, more than likely got them at good prices when they came out, thus their investment is low... this was mentioned above... It is a simple fact, that if I have pins I do not like that are worth more to someone else than to me... I will be bidding these items... That is why veterans have the advantage...

The flip side of this is the newer traders who do not mind waiting in lines overnight or running crazy around the parks can get pins now that are filled with hype, and put them up for auction and quickly start building up a collection to begin trading with...

Final topic I will comment on this post... INTEGRITY...!!!

This is invaluable in the Pin trading world... Anyone who knows me, knows that we are all about honesty and fairness... If you struggle with this, you will struggle in this hobby... I feel we are succesful because people know if you deal with me, it will excactly the experience you would want to have... no fuss, just a fair honest trader to deal with... If an item I shipped was lost in the mail... We would send something even better to replace it... no questions asked... The trust you develop goes a long way with fellow members... and if ever heard of anyone ever bidding on a friends auction on here just to keep things at a certain level, I would definately report them to the MODs... Immediately...

To end this... All I can say is there is still only one true Original DPF Auction Place... That's Right... The Goofy Auction's...LOL

Well, I wish I read your posting before starting my own auction :-(

I put up a Jumbo Haunted Mansion T-Shirt thinking I'd have 4-5 bids by now, and nada. Now I'm afraid I'm going to end up parting with the pin for a Hidden Mickey. Sigh...

If you have no bids, I think you can end your auction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back