• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Time for my rant...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for my rant...
I'm THIS close to starting a rant thread.

Someone hold my tail.
*LET ME AT 'EM! LET ME AT 'EM!*

I do not feel Kudos in the manor you are referring it is truely fair of you to say to me... Take a look at sold Beloved Tales on E-Bay... More than one sell at an average of over $150... If Lady and the Tramp sold for $190, do you not think the value of the UP Beloved tales will exceed that in a year... You will not be able to even find one like I stuggled to find the Fantasia Mickey one until a Co-Op was formed or else I still wouldn't have it coming to me... So Kudos to me for putting up a hot pin that everyone who collects it wants to own it??? I guess your right play on... and we all will... If you would like you can always go spend the night on the streets of Hollywood for 20 hours and get one yourself... Is my time and effort not worth something... This is not just a $15 pin as mentioned above, but a collectors item that many of the collectors in our community want to own... Just saying if it were just a pin you can go to a park and buy it would not be worth debating it's value to the people who want it...

This rant was not meant to offend anyone. I do think that the UP BT pin is a hot commodity and will likely stay one because of BT collectors and UP collectors (who might potentially get into BT pins too!) If I wanted to collect BT pins, I'd probably bid on your pin. People getting the pin and offering it certainly saves others time, money, and gas (two days)

I know I am coming into this late, but that has never stopped me before. As a person who bid over 40 pins on an auction I think I have a perspective some might not. I bid a lot on pins I want. If it is a lot of pins it is because I have a chance to get a pin I might not have a chance to get any other way. I don't live near a park so pin trading online is what I do to get me through until the next time I can get back to Disneyland (about once a year). When I am at Disneyland I pretty much do nothing but pin trade while my family goes on the rides. I get to meet all kinds of great people including a bunch of you here on DPF. I bring my pin book down and my suitcase full of extra traders (yes the tsa hates me) and I freely trade to almost everybody who asks. It is what I do for vacation, I am in the happiest place on earth doing what I love to do to relax. So the auctions give me a chance to have some fun and sometimes get pins I really want. I know what I am offering to the auctioneer and have no problems with it. If I didn't bid them I wouldn't. For me it is a form of entertainment, just like going to the movies or to a park or concert. Just like all of those events I get a memory and a souvenir from participating in the auctions. I get something I want and they get something they want (sometimes with me it is a lot of what they want). Is it fair, absolutely! Is it fun, heck ya it is fun! Aren't all pin collectors addicts to this hobby? Some are better at controlling it then others. So let's go have some fun (or not if you don't choose to, also your choice). In the end somebody once told me that they are just little pieces of metal, but what really cool pieces of metal.

The reason I think it's fair, it's because the bidder is not being forced to bid. They are freely offering pins in exchange for pain they want. The seller is the one taking the risk, and may end up trading their pin for a lot less than its worth.
I think what makes me uneasy, is not having a minimum starting bid, so the seller doesn't get ripped off. If the auction wasn't there, those that don't want to bid would not be missing anything. Yet those that are willing to overbid are doing so willingly. At least they have time to go and research the pins being offered.

I think 90 % of the trades I have done in person, I have regretted so far. Unfortunately, people take advantage of others, I went to PTN for the first time and thought wow , I got good deals, only to find out I came up short.

So I personally rather have an option.

I think this part is what makes me uneasy.

Of course a pin's worth in $$ fluctuates widely from person to person, from Ebay auction to Ebay auction. But still. I see a lot of auctions ending in fairly lop sided trades and I just can't wrap my mind around it. I do not se how this fits in with "fairness" "honesty" and "integrity.

Last edited:
I don't live near a park so pin trading online is what I do to get me through until the next time I can get back to Disneyland (about once a year). When I am at Disneyland I pretty much do nothing but pin trade while my family goes on the rides. I get to meet all kinds of great people including a bunch of you here on DPF. I bring my pin book down and my suitcase full of extra traders (yes the tsa hates me) and I freely trade to almost everybody who asks. It is what I do for vacation, I am in the happiest place on earth doing what I love to do to relax.

No rides at all? That sounds like me sometimes, but I know I'm only an hour away. When are you next coming to DL to trade? :)

Gotta say I overbid one a Jessica pin, but I chose too, because I knew my hubby would want the Jessica more than the PTN Rapunzel.

To me it was worth it and the auctioneer? She thought it was generous too and sent me a pin that I had been wanting for a long time, along with the Jessica pin.

Was I expecting more? Nope! I bid what I wanted to, my choice.

Thats what it is all about!!!

Have fun folks, that's all!

Vicki

Pretty much what everyone has said here... While what I'm saying isn't about an auction, I think it's very similar.

Before Beloved Tales were absolutely crazy, at a PTN, I saw someone with a Beloved Tales Aladdin Pin. Obviously, I wanted it. The trader I was trading with didn't see anything wanted. However, I knew they had a daughter that loved stitch.

So I offered....almost all my stitch pins.

In the end, I think it was six stitch pins (some dsf, some le, some...not, i think) for the BT Aladdin pin. Of course, now BT pins went way up in price, but at the time, it was an unfair trade to me. Do I care? Not really. I didn't care about my stitch pins, and I got a REALLY NICE pin for my main collection!

Basically what I'm trying to say is... what a few other people have already said. I don't think it's unfair, because the bidders are willingly bidding their pins. It's not the auctioneer's fault if someone offers a lopsided trade.

No rides at all? That sounds like me sometimes, but I know I'm only an hour away. When are you next coming to DL to trade? :)

Okay I have to be honest, I did go on Pirates and Mansion once the 4 days we were there. I love pin trading and meeting people while I am there, which is really odd since I am a hermit at home. Something magical about the place. But that is what I want to do to relax, I trade about 300 pins each trip. Then I get home and throw away the scrappers I got and work on trading the new gems I picked up to trade and that mostly gets me through until the next year. The auctions are the closest thing to trading in person I can do. It is more fun then just regular pin trading because I never get anybody to trade the "harder to get" pins regularly.

We were down there last March so we probably won't be back down until early part of next year. Thank you uncle sam for our refund every year!!! We buy annual passes every other year so the next years visit is paid for from the previous year. We have been doing that for years. Works out great!!!

I totally understand. I live far away from the Parks as well and the way I have been trading (or buying) pins has been entirely on-line. If I am lucky I am able to go once a year to DLR and I already went earlier this year. I love the forum I have had so much fun meeting people. I have been a bit intimidated about starting an auction for one of my pins, but I had a lot of fun on my first auction I bid on (and I even won.) that I might give it a whirl.

The whole thing of choosing friends and not completing the auction -- that stinks. Everyone should play by the same rules.

I have a hard time believing anyone is having friends shill bid thier auctions at the moment. We all know about the one recent problem, I would like to think thats the end of that. I think we should lay that nasty thought to rest 6ft under in an unmarked grave.

We were down there last March so we probably won't be back down until early part of next year. Thank you uncle sam for our refund every year!!! We buy annual passes every other year so the next years visit is paid for from the previous year. We have been doing that for years. Works out great!!!

Send a PM when you are heading down; maybe we can meet up. My AP expires in June so that's the latest I can go (won't be renewing at these high prices!)

I have a hard time believing anyone is having friends shill bid thier auctions at the moment. We all know about the one recent problem, I would like to think thats the end of that. I think we should lay that nasty thought to rest 6ft under in an unmarked grave.

+1. I was thinking, huh, and then remembered, oh yeah, that one.

I have read all these pages and all i can cay is "its an auction"
I wish soneone would offer pins i need.
I dont want to pay for the pins cause i am cheap lol, but if i can get a pin by bidding pins i already own.

example: the super jumbo scoop pin. I really wanted that pin so i bid about $300 worth of pins but didnt even make the leader board.
i could have kept mine but i sold it. i could buy it again on ebay for $200 but trading $300 in pins is better for me.

example 2: i bid on and won an auction for a figurine i really liked, i bid 15 run of the mill rack pins and won.
I offered the person out of the trade auction since i felt it may not be to his liking, did i have to do it? no, it was an auction and i put in the best of the worst offers.
thats how the auction works.

example 3: The very next day one of my auctions ended with very little interest. The winner emailed me and said they bid because they hated to see me lose the pins for low end pins. I laughed because i did it the day before. I told them that they did not have to do that and did not have to ccomplete the trade if they only bid to help me out.
very nice of them but i took the risk and i am fine with whatever bids i get. thats the thrill of the auction.

If people are helping eachother, and it is a huge IF.... then the best way to cure it is to either post proof of mailing at the end of each auction with a scanned delivery confirmation or to make the 2 persons mail the pins to a middleman( but that would be wasting time and money)

the only issue i can see with all the posts about wanting reserves is well..... the point of how people value their pins. example:(again) i paid $65 for my stitch briar rose pin so i would want to at least get that in trade. someone else who bought it new from disney has little invested but why should they get less in trade if the pin is valued at $70 retail.
there are too many variables to have a perfect working system but but for now, you get what you get, if the person says you dont have to do the trade, fine, otherwise you get some really nice pins or you took a risk and lost a little.

I would love to do auctions but i have so few wants that id always be trading for pins that i am just going to retrade.
if you say to the winner i think i overbid it is their choice to let it go but you made the bid and should stick to it.
i auctioned 20 new rack pins on cards and for 6 other trader pins. my aution, my fault.

ok have to go out now but im sure the mods and us can work something out but it will be hard. do you reserve it to le 300 minimum? what if their le 300 is $10 on ebay and yours is $55 on ebay, a reserve with what pins youll take for it will make many bidders unable to bid since they dont have your wants.

ok really going,
Happy trades and look!! NO CAPS. LOL
Kirk<--- the annoying joke teller in chat ( i find them funny) :p

Re: the reserve - it worked just fine when it was simply "I will trade this pin for the offer I like best - but I will not be forced to trade for something I don't like" - which really, is the function of pin trading anyway.

I just don't see the purpose of being forced to trade for something you don't want. Which is why I don't participate in the auctions as the rules now stand.

It had only been a few hours since I last saw a rant thread, but it felt longer. I didn't know where everyone went; as soon as the threatening posts came in and flooded our helpless hobby, we all scattered like the cockroaches we were. Psycho Pixie, docfish, that goon Goofy_Moe, Mahrii, AmySchweppe – I didn't know where any of them were, or even if they were still alive. For now, all I had was me.
I had found my way to a small hellhole on the edge of civilization, a place that seemed suitable for a renegade flatfoot like myself. The locals didn't mind outsiders as long as I kissed butt, and for now I was swimming in precious DSF Pins. I was up in my hotel room above the saloon, trying to piece together my biggest case yet, when everything changed.
Looking up from the smudged disney map I was poring over, I heard voices coming up the stairs....

It had only been a few hours since I last saw a rant thread, but it felt longer. I didn't know where everyone went; as soon as the threatening posts came in and flooded our helpless hobby, we all scattered like the cockroaches we were. Psycho Pixie, docfish, that goon Goofy_Moe, Mahrii, AmySchweppe – I didn't know where any of them were, or even if they were still alive. For now, all I had was me.
I had found my way to a small hellhole on the edge of civilization, a place that seemed suitable for a renegade flatfoot like myself. The locals didn't mind outsiders as long as I kissed butt, and for now I was swimming in precious DSF Pins. I was up in my hotel room above the saloon, trying to piece together my biggest case yet, when everything changed.
Looking up from the smudged disney map I was poring over, I heard voices coming up the stairs....

Why Do I want Disney_Noir to be an amazing comic?

Hi Disney_Noir,

I know your new the forum and welcome but I am kindly asking for you to keep my name off of this story like posting. I don't like having my name then having it say "even if they were still alive". attached to it. Once I get to know you a little better it be a different story but for now I don't know you and it's sorta creepy. Sorry. Thanks.

Re: the reserve - it worked just fine when it was simply "I will trade this pin for the offer I like best - but I will not be forced to trade for something I don't like" - which really, is the function of pin trading anyway.

I just don't see the purpose of being forced to trade for something you don't want. Which is why I don't participate in the auctions as the rules now stand.
+ 1 .
when the shoe goes on someone else's foot, it doesn't feel very good . But I'm the loner to be left alone and only tieing up my loose ends , contacting my true friends with my email and facebook page . My post When Reality Sets In says it all . There is no amount of drama that can erase reality . But I had a little giggle all by myself .

The voices got closer. It was AmySchweppe and her thugs.

"I don't know who the hell this peeper thinks he is, but I aint dead!" she ranted. Damn that girl could rant, but she looked like a million bucks. Her case landed on my lap about 6 months ago when I was back at station. My partners didn't think I could handle it, so I got the squeeze. If she knew I was behind this rickety door now, she would probably pump scrappers through my eyeballs. "Now's not the time Disney_Noir..." I thought to myself, but that's just not the kinda guy I am. I leaned back and lit a cigarette. I needed something to calm me down before all hell breaks loose.

I do not know you Disney _ Noir , but you obviously know some of these members you speak of and before I get involved, I am out of here . I respectfully gave my best to everyone yesterday and I stand by what I sincerely said, that I would not start another unneccessary post . See Tinker run ... run~ run ~ run .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back