• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

2013 Fairytale Designer Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think that Heroines is more likely than couples since the last Two-pack of LEs did SO poorly. Merida/Elinor is still online and I don't think it's ever been marked as "sold out" once since it's debut. Not to mention Disney would be absolutely BONKERS to pass up a chance at a designer Merida, given her insane popularity, which even Disney underestimated when they first marketed her! Merida could NEVER be included in a "Designer Couples" line and I think THAT ALONE is why we can chalk Designer Couples up to just a rumor.

Let's not forget, the reason that villains REALLY happened was because Disney saw lots of people wanting villains dolls and making their own designs for them. If everything I've seen online (here, deviantart, tumblr, facebook, etc.) is ANY indication, Heroines is what is most wanted next. Could they do wedding or fairies? Yes, but I don't think the fanbase of the designer dolls is crying out quite as loudly for those lines. Not yet at least.

I'm really guessing Disney has learned it's lesson with the Designer Villains line's issues. Higher price + higher edition size + less popular characters = BAD FORMULA!

I think we're most likely looking at 4000-8000 edition sizes again and somewhere around 8 dolls (plus one, if you consider a D23 Silver Cinderella equivalent for this line). Not sure if they'll keep the $80 price tag or reduce prices could be anyone's guess. If I had to wager a guess at who they'd be, I'd probably pull girls from the R/C Disney Girls pins, or the Disney Birthstone pins first.

Merida - She is more a definition of "Heroine" than any other girls. And Disney would be crazy not to.
Esmeralda - Design possibilities are outstanding as well as a higher fanbase for a lesser-known character.
Megara - Same reasons as Esmeralda
Wendy - Popular and classic to this day. Could easily be marketed on journals, cups, shirts, etc.
Alice - Same reasons as Wendy. And Alice's 17" LE doll remains one of THE MOST sought after to this day.
Jane - I'm actually really including her because I find she still has a lot of representation in the parks (and she was featured for the birthstone pins). More so than Megara, for sure.
Tinkerbell - Crazy popular. Although it'd be the first time we get two characters who appear in the same film (Wendy and Tink), I just can't see the next like WITHOUT Tink.
Vanellope OR Lilo - the designs for each could be interesting. Vanellope's based on candy, Lilo based on a designer's take of a hula ensemble? I think if we could make the argument to stretch Vanellope out, we could make the same argument for Lilo. While Wreck-it Ralph is new and popular, Lilo and Stich has withstood the test of time.

I think Merida's potential alone would have made Disney go forward with a Heroines idea. All Designer merchandising has had one doll featured at the helm. Maleficent led the Designer Villains (her image was ALWAYS larger in the advertising) and Cinderella led the Designer Princesses. Merida could EASILY lead the heroines in the same way. I also think we're getting a couple of hints towards a Heroines line. Didn't Disneyland just do "Forgotten Friends" week for Limited Time Magic?? Esmeralda and Jane were apart of that. And Megara still has park representation (especially in the case R/C Girls and the Birthstone Pins).

I think we also have to take into consideration that Disney already has a PROVEN FORMULA in the marketing of singular designer dolls. In both the Designer Princesses and the Designer Villains, we saw the same box structure, the same bag around the box, the same journals, the same mugs, etc. If you throw a second doll in the mix (in the case of couples), then ALL of that would have to be changed. I also noticed a lot of people seem to have forgotten that there are also cosmetics marketed in the designer lines. How exactly does one create a nail polish color to represent a couple? Or an eyeshadow color for a Disney Prince? Just other things to consider.

Sorry for the long post, everyone! I just find it hard to believe Disney would choose Couples over Heroines, Fairies, Princes, or even Bridal. And I think from a marketing standpoint, knowing how Disney has run this line in the past (creating Designer Villains FOR the fans), Heroines or "Disney Femme Fatale" or "Disney Damsels" or whatever you wanna call it, makes more sense.

I AGREE with the top comment on MANY levels. Couples could as well mean that the dolls are being released in couples like Esme and Meg are released the same day and Wendy and Alice are released the same day and Kida and Jane are released the same day but Kida is highly unlikely but more power to them if one is constructed. Let's see how they are defined by edition size. Esmeralda would most likely be the Maleficent and Ariel and get the highest one as well as be the most sought out one (8000). Megara is the Evil Queen and Belle/Rapunzel and the second sought out (6000 I'm a brutally honest one aren't I. Rapunzel was VERY popular and iconic but got a low one.) Alice could be the Snow White and Ursula as she is popular but sadly underrated after these two gurls whom I adore as much as her (6000 or 4000 since she usually gets to be a low size *RABBLEROUSING LE 500!!!!*) Wendy will be the Aurora and Gothel of the group as she is somewhat adored and the public would love to remember her and DS is trying to lead us to hoping for a HEROES line with Peter and more. (4000; enuff said) Jane would possibly be 8000 as she is from a VERY SUCCESSFUL one and again look at Wendy and Megara as well for the reason. She will be the Mulan and Queen of Hearts (ironic). NOW FOR THE FINAL TOUCH! KIDA! She will most likely have a 2,000 or 4,000 edition as she is RARE and coveted and in my eyes will be the Pocahontas and Cruella deVil of the group as Pocahontas is rare like her and Cruella is beloved like her. There could be one more Heroine included as a cop-out/last minute resort which will in my eyes be Anastasia the Redeemed StepSistah but I could be way off. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE an Anita of 4000 or 2000 to go with Cruella but that isn't possible. Anita however would be the Cinderella of the group and while a "nice one", a kinda ignored one. I would love to see them do something very different for one doll and have Thumbelina be the Tiana of the bunch with LE of 2,000 as she isn't Disney but just wishful thinking.

I agree with you Slightecho, of all the potential ideas for the next designer line, the so called "Heroines" line seems like the most likely. Mainly because it is easy to fit Merida into this line. As you mentioned it is pretty obvious that Disney will want to include Merida in the designer line especially since she is to be inaugurated as a Disney Princess this year so they are going to want to promote any merchandise with Merida as much as possible.

I do agree that there will probably be a line of around 6-8 dolls with a smaller edition size but I think they will still retain the higher pricing as that seems to be the trend with most of the dolls nowadays.

Whilst I do love both Vanellope and Lilo as characters, in my opinion I think it is highly unlikely that they will do a Vanellope or Lilo designer as they are technically still children and just like the uproar over the thinner Ursula and Queen of Hearts some people may not like the "adultified" version of these characters as it could potentially promote little girls to mature quicker etc etc. So they may just do another line of 6 dolls? Or 7, I cant see why they couldn't do an odd number of dolls.

Either way it will be interesting to see what they decide to do next with the designer dolls.

I still find it amazing that there has not been a Disney LE doll since Tremaine/Cinderella...

Also, as for Vanellope and Lilo, they actually do have body-size proportionate characters such as Nani and Calhoun. And WHERE IS MY HEAD!! CHARLOTTE would be the Tiana with 2,000 or 4,000. Nani would get 2,000 and Calhoun has her LE doll but a 2,000 wouldn't hurt anyone LOL. Giselle would be a nice one but no pink. Either the white dress, the teal dress or the dark purple one. Charlotte would possibly be in pink and these gurls aren't exactly girly so pink shouldn't be overdone. But if they do two in pink that's on them. I personally want the dark purple one. If they did Anita on the spot however, she could be holding a puppy in her chartreuse outfit. She is out of the question however. Now my only other gripe would be Alice and Wendy both in blue and the same kind of blue at that matter. Alice and Wendy are VERY similar as their voices and attitudes and colors and something else I am missing. Ages? Curiousity? Youngness at heart? They are one and the same LMAO. I just hope that the designer Alice is like a 12 inch LE 500 Rabble-Rousing look-a-like one. Jessica Rabbit seems like she was saved for this and no LE 500 was given to us and speaking of 500, China Girl would fit in with this, just saying. Glinda would be a possibility as well JAJAJAJA but they will possibly get LE dolls so nah. I would love Jessica Rabbit though with 2,000 or 8,000. Tinker Bell has her own franchise so I wouldn't qualify her in this but she always has been an icon so yeah. She would probably get 8,000 though. Wow, you know which line is better when you have more characters to choose from so HEROINES FTW! ;)

And Merida I would actually suggest they skip since she is supposed to be non-girly but has THE MOST DOLLS I HAVE EVER SEEN! But she would get 8,000. and We saw Calhoun and China Girl LE but if you mean by princess-villain then I feel it. They would probably do Merida in a heroine line but double-side her between both princesses and heroine. I think Disney Gals and Galans would be a cute name for those who aren't prince and princess. GALS AND GALANS! WOOT WOOT!

And Merida I would actually suggest they skip since she is supposed to be non-girly but has THE MOST DOLLS I HAVE EVER SEEN! But she would get 8,000. and We saw Calhoun and China Girl LE but if you mean by princess-villain then I feel it. They would probably do Merida in a heroine line but double-side her between both princesses and heroine. I think Disney Gals and Galans would be a cute name for those who aren't prince and princess. GALS AND GALANS! WOOT WOOT! EDIT- And for dolls in total of the collection, There is Esme, Meg, Alice, Wendy, Kida, Jane, Nani, Calhoun, Anastasia (DREAMS THOSE PAST 3,) Jessica, Giselle, Charlotte, Anita (OTRO SUENO!) and as a last minute thought Eilonwy with 4,000-6,000 in the color lavender like designer Rapunzel's but with designer Cinderella's terms of sell. 14 GALS for the GALANS! WOOOOOO!

I dunno... I know everyone seems so set on believing that these heroines would be the next big thing, but I just don't see it. I don't know if it's the risk Disney will take - after the semi-fail of the villains. Look I'm happy to be wrong, I think Esmerelda, Meg, Jane, etc (no, not Tink - sorry, can't stand her) all deserve a bit more attention than they've been getting. But really - when was the last time you saw a Megara doll, or an Esmerelda doll? I don't really know because I don't live in the US so all I can go off is what is on the disneystore website. I can see couples as a more likely thing than heroines personally - just seems like an easy way for disney to do the princesses again (big money makers) plus those gentlemen we want to see. Does this exclude Merida? Yes. Is Disney going to not make a whole line of dolls because of one missing? Don't realllly think so, even though she's popular. Obviously not popular enough because her LE doll is still for sale.
Look I'm happy to be wrong, but I just don't see it. Disney has never given these girls much attention compared to princesses, and I don't think they're going to shove the princessess aside to give these girls the limelight. Their DVDs are not given even half the attention of that of the princesses. Little girls these days probably don't know who half these heroines are (well, the ones out here anyway - who don't have access to a Disneyland).

I agree that heroines seems very unlikely :(! But it would be amazing if they did it! I'd get a Merida, Esmerelda, Jane, Megara and Kida for sure!!

To be honest you are probably right that the "heroines" would be unlikely but in all fairness out of all the current suggestions the heroines is a lot more likely than say couples or princes.

Also remember that whilst the characters are not as popular as the princesses Disney has already done the designer princesses so I doubt they will do another designer princess line again. I believe if there is to be another designer line then a heroines line is more likely and it would include Merida.

However there is the possibility that they could do the princesses again (and this time will also include Merida) but would do them in a different LE line, such as the widely suggested wedding collection.

Especially since this year is an expo year, then maybe next year they will release the less popular, heroines line just like they released the villains during the off year.

Don't forget Disney generally listens to their target audience so if they don't do the heroines this year they may do so next year. I mean if we bug them enough they will finally get the message!

Last edited:
I'm kinda hoping it's not a wedding line...ok I'm reallyhoping it's not. I agree with you it's less likely to be princesses again in the designer line, but I'm wondering if that ship has sailed now. Maybe (hopefully) they'll do something different with the princesses. Make them glamourous, and beautiful, but not call it... 'designer' haha. Maybe this is because I was late to the party with the dolls, so I have no designer ones, hence I'm all for the princesses. I just don't see Disney jumping at the idea of showcasing the heroines over the princesses. I also agree with the notion of IF they do heroines- it'd be the 'off' year, not the mass expo release. Juuuust my 2c :). Ps- my LE snow white is due next week and I'm toooooo excited haha

I do agree I am not a big fan of the wedding idea but regardless I would still probably buy it if they were to release it haha.

I'm not going to give any opinion because who really knows until we see/hear what they are going to release. I have my speculations, but I don't work for Disney so it's anyone's guess.

I think Disney will stick with women - and I think Tink and Merida are coming - I'm not sure about Anna from Frozen because her artwork may not have been finalized when designing the third series dolls, so it depends how far along production was at the time. I also think they'd shy away from making Lilo and Vanellope, after the reaction from changing Ursula and QoH. It's one thing to slim down women, it's another to make girls more adult, I don't think the response would be good. The line, while it can feature Heroines, will NOT be called that - it will be called something else. I see potential for Mary Poppins in this now that I think about it. Could look very cool with a parasol accessory or something.

I think couples would be cute, but again it would be expensive for the customer, and expensive for Disney with them having to change the packaging, etc. It's possible that Disney is doing a new Couples doll series - remember how a castmember saw a new Tink doll and thought it was a 17 inch one, and it turned out to be a regular release doll. If they did couples, Designer Bridal Gown Princesses with Princes also in Designer clothes sounds like too much - as opposed to A Designer Character, as it has been. Designer Couples is the only way to make Designer Princes work now, if they wanted to do Princes, they should have been the second series with same or low LE sizes, with then a bigger buildup to Villains as the third. It feels Way too soon to re-relese Princesses in another form - maybe after another series or two they will.

Again it will come down to the other merchandise and pins, which characters sell better - that's who Disney would choose. So my fingers remain crossed.

I find this thread so interesting with everyones theories haha!

I wasnt really a doll collector for the last 2 releases so sadly I missed out! I did get a Designer Cruella when she was £25 at DS though!

If they did a wedding line i'd probably only get Pocahontas and maybe belle and ariel! I'm praying for heroines though! Because most of my favourite Disney girls aren't in the princess line, like Kida (although extremely unlikely they'd do her) and Esmerelda!

The suspense is killing me!!! I just want to knoooowwwww!!!!

The more I think of the couples, the more I think it is just not likely.

I am also wondering if perhaps they didn't make a LE Wendy or Tink, BECAUSE they are going to be designer dolls? Who knows...I'm just desperate at this point. They should announce it soon, I am impatient!

I so need Mother Gothel now!! ugh! I hope the LE Brave dolls go down in price so I will have a chance to finally get them...
I do not really collect dolls, but I would love these...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back