• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

2013 Fairytale Designer Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Fairytale Designer Collection
The greed that's exhibited on eBay is often mind boggling!!! I can't believe, that some people pay $1,000 for........PINS:/ Even if I had a ton of disposable income like that, I'd have a VERY, hard time paying that for some pins!

But what's really messed up is that people ARE paying these prices, therefore the prices won't go down, did you notice how when d23 Snow White was first listed on eBay she had a buy it now price of around $800-1000, since no one was paying it, resellers were forced to lower their price, just to get rid of it.

Ebay is going nuts with people and their crazy prices. I mean.. do they really think someones going to pay 1,499.95 dollars for these pins

Yes, unfortunately I am sure that they will be purchased soon, it's already difficult to find them under this price, and for the moment I don't think that the price will decrease ...

The longer you are in a hobby, too, the higher and higher your "top price I would pay" goes up. When I first started collecting pins I went "I will never spend more than $50 on a pin, that is crazy!". And then I was looking at a pin sale yesterday and went "Wow only $450? That's a great price for that!" :facepalm: Same thing goes for dolls, for me. It all depends on how much you want it, and how much the community justifies your purchase. If the community collectively goes, "well that is what the price is, it isn't going down," in your mind it helps you to think that you are justified then in making that purchase. I do it all the time, and shamelessly! Lol. That is how I end up with so many freaking dollies!
However sometimes waiting it out DOES pay off. I refused to pay more than $200 for LE 17" Snow White. Thankfully I waited, and I got her for that price.
And now I am trying to convince myself not to buy Designer Ariel at her obscene prices, but it is very hard because I want her so bad. @_@ It is a balance of luck, self-control, but also treating yourself and splurging on those items you really want now and again. If the price goes down, oh well. You got yours, so that is all that will matter at the end of the day. :)

The longer you are in a hobby, too, the higher and higher your "top price I would pay" goes up. When I first started collecting pins I went "I will never spend more than $50 on a pin, that is crazy!". And then I was looking at a pin sale yesterday and went "Wow only $450? That's a great price for that!" :facepalm: Same thing goes for dolls, for me. It all depends on how much you want it, and how much the community justifies your purchase. If the community collectively goes, "well that is what the price is, it isn't going down," in your mind it helps you to think that you are justified then in making that purchase. I do it all the time, and shamelessly! Lol. That is how I end up with so many freaking dollies!
However sometimes waiting it out DOES pay off. I refused to pay more than $200 for LE 17" Snow White. Thankfully I waited, and I got her for that price.
And now I am trying to convince myself not to buy Designer Ariel at her obscene prices, but it is very hard because I want her so bad. @_@ It is a balance of luck, self-control, but also treating yourself and splurging on those items you really want now and again. If the price goes down, oh well. You got yours, so that is all that will matter at the end of the day. :)
You are so right...when I first started I refused to pay the $400+ for designer Ariel yet she was my favorite...I waited it out and got her for much cheaper. But as I collected I had to have the 17 inch Alice and paid for her what I said I would never pay. And btw congrats on getting Snow at that price I've been waiting for a cheaper one for awhile lol

You are so right...when I first started I refused to pay the $400+ for designer Ariel yet she was my favorite...I waited it out and got her for much cheaper. But as I collected I had to have the 17 inch Alice and paid for her what I said I would never pay. And btw congrats on getting Snow at that price I've been waiting for a cheaper one for awhile lol

Oh golly I don't even want to THINK about Alice lol. I had the chance to buy her at retail as a Christmas present and I chose Designer Cinderella instead. If I had a time machine, I would do really dumb things with it! I also had the chance to buy Designer Ariel too...so much regret! AND I missed a Buy it Now of Ariel at only $120 two times! Lol. I need to keep holding out I suppose!

But yeah. Based on the Silver Cinderella, I do think that the D23 Snow White will go up. However I do not think that she will be AS expensive, given her higher LE number, in addition to mostly scalpers selling her on eBay. When Cinderella came out, she was the first Designer doll to be sold. I remember people thought the prices on the first set were "too high" and were skeptical. I remember one day she was selling for like, $400-$500, and then the next she was $800-$1,000. Because, just like Designer Ariel, most people bought them for their collections, not to resell. So there are less available. But in D23 Snow's case, there were obviously a lot of people who bought her solely to resell. But eventually there will be less and less available in the second hand market as more people add them to their collection. So I do think it would be wise to pick her up now for $350 or less if you want her badly. I would guess her price in a few years will hover around $550-$700 ($700 being really high). But that is just my opinion~! :D

Do you guys think the pin prices will drop below $1000? I noticed the Designer Princesses pins go for over $2000, but the villains are around $700. Since these are also princesses do you think they'll follow suit with the 2011 release?

If the order works out next week does that mean the dolls will be shipped out immediately?

I'm asking because I will be on vacation the next two weeks so I wouldn't be at home if they send it within that time. And it will be sent via UPS, Fedex, whatever. And they usually send things back after 3 days.

Do you think I could write Disney asking them to send it later?

If you did the pre-order for the set of dolls, they will not ship out for TWO MONTHS. They won't ship out until October 15, 2013, when the last set of dolls are available for sale.

EDIT to say: if you are only purchasing one doll, make sure you select ground shipping (which you get for free). The items seem to ship from the warehouse in Tennessee so if you are in CA like me, you won't get your items for at least a week. Once you get the tracking number from DS.com, the next day you can go onto UPS and then schedule the hold.

Last edited:

(Click Image to be taken to Original Photo on flickr by pseudanonymous)
I found this image on flickr, and the lady took a razor to Flynn's hair and then repainted it. Part of me is very tempted to do that, and then if I am successful in getting the Flynn and Rapunzel couple set on Sep. 3rd - open it up and replace the Dead-Eyed Flynn with a custom Flynn.

Do you guys think the pin prices will drop below $1000? I noticed the Designer Princesses pins go for over $2000, but the villains are around $700. Since these are also princesses do you think they'll follow suit with the 2011 release?

To be honest, I don't think it will go down, I don't think realistically it will sell for over a grand either( $1200 maybe) but $1500 and up will probably be the future " bin prices" for this set. If I'm wrong and it does go down, however, it will still be close to the $1000 range like the villains. ($700-$900) The princesses will always be more popular IMO.

Oh golly I don't even want to THINK about Alice lol. I had the chance to buy her at retail as a Christmas present and I chose Designer Cinderella instead. If I had a time machine, I would do really dumb things with it! I also had the chance to buy Designer Ariel too...so much regret! AND I missed a Buy it Now of Ariel at only $120 two times! Lol. I need to keep holding out I suppose!

But yeah. Based on the Silver Cinderella, I do think that the D23 Snow White will go up. However I do not think that she will be AS expensive, given her higher LE number, in addition to mostly scalpers selling her on eBay. When Cinderella came out, she was the first Designer doll to be sold. I remember people thought the prices on the first set were "too high" and were skeptical. I remember one day she was selling for like, $400-$500, and then the next she was $800-$1,000. Because, just like Designer Ariel, most people bought them for their collections, not to resell. So there are less available. But in D23 Snow's case, there were obviously a lot of people who bought her solely to resell. But eventually there will be less and less available in the second hand market as more people add them to their collection. So I do think it would be wise to pick her up now for $350 or less if you want her badly. I would guess her price in a few years will hover around $550-$700 ($700 being really high). But that is just my opinion~! :D

I think as collectors we are ALWAYS going to make these kind of mistakes. It's up to us to use our judgement and decide what is and isn't worth spending our money on (unless we're rich), and it really can be a gamble. I let 17" snow white go, and china girl. And now they are selling for so much on Ebay I could never get them now. But there are always more opportunities to spend our money lol.:naughty:

(Click Image to be taken to Original Photo on flickr by pseudanonymous)
I found this image on flickr, and the lady took a razor to Flynn's hair and then repainted it. Part of me is very tempted to do that, and then if I am successful in getting the Flynn and Rapunzel couple set on Sep. 3rd - open it up and replace the Dead-Eyed Flynn with a custom Flynn.

That is brilliant! :) This person really repainted their eyes to look more alive. It never ceases to amaze me what OOAK doll artists can do with dolls that the big-name manufacturers cannot seem to manage, which is to paint realistic features on their doll that really convey emotion. Good luck with your project! Please post pictures!

I am at my disney store right now and they said none of the designer stuff will be released until tomorrow. They have everything but can not sell until tomorrow. Womp! Guess ill be back.

My store had the Designer mugs, journals, lithos, notecards, and gloss but said they don't think they have everything in yet. They also had the floor samples behind the counter.
All of the dolls look so much more beautiful in person. I was pleasantly surprised by Beast and Belle, because even though Belle looks a little crammed in the box, the Beast looks much better in person. He's taller than petite Belle, and looks a lot less like a chocolate bunny. Belle looked lovely as well. Ariel and Eric were beautiful of course. Jas and Al looked wonderful and definitely benefit from the best pose.

I was most disappointed with Rapunzel and Flynn because of their packaging. Flynn is literally plastic molded RIGHT behind Rapunzel, not even to the side like the Prince. You can't see him. And Rapunzel, who takes up the whole front, is very pretty, but her head in this sample was tilted far too right so that all you got was a lot of profile. My biggest complaint- the sleeve on the arm holding the lantern is PINNED BACK. As in not hanging, it's up on the plastic prop behind the lantern. it looks so bad. I love this couple but their packaging flaws seriously make me reconsider getting them unless I wanted to debox, which I've never even considered before.

My store had the Designer mugs, journals, lithos, notecards, and gloss but said they don't think they have everything in yet. They also had the floor samples behind the counter.
All of the dolls look so much more beautiful in person. I was pleasantly surprised by Beast and Belle, because even though Belle looks a little crammed in the box, the Beast looks much better in person. He's taller than petite Belle, and looks a lot less like a chocolate bunny. Belle looked lovely as well. Ariel and Eric were beautiful of course. Jas and Al looked wonderful and definitely benefit from the best pose.

I was most disappointed with Rapunzel and Flynn because of their packaging. Flynn is literally plastic molded RIGHT behind Rapunzel, not even to the side like the Prince. You can't see him. And Rapunzel, who takes up the whole front, is very pretty, but her head in this sample was tilted far too right so that all you got was a lot of profile. My biggest complaint- the sleeve on the arm holding the lantern is PINNED BACK. As in not hanging, it's up on the plastic prop behind the lantern. it looks so bad. I love this couple but their packaging flaws seriously make me reconsider getting them unless I wanted to debox, which I've never even considered before.

Thanks for the report on the state of the dolls in person. =) Based on pictures from the D23 Expo, DFDC Rapunzel and Flynn do seem to suffer from the worst in-box pose ever! Of all of the dolls in this collection, they are the ones that need some major posing adjustments, even if one were to keep them in the box. Of course, I only advise this for people who really do not intend on selling their dolls in the future, but the sleeve of Rapunzel's raised arm can be untacked from the plastic. That said, I still don't think that her sleeve looks good at all raised up, because the embroidered velvet is so stiff that it does not really hang down from her arm in the proper way that it should, but instead juts out like a stiff piece of cardboard. Ugly! I almost wonder if they were intentionally put in the box like this to make collectors want to open up the box and "fix" things.

how do you guys think that the belle and beast set will go? I kind of really want them but i dont think ill have enough money cuz I'm definitely getting the Ariel and Rapunzel sets!

I am at my disney store right now and they said none of the designer stuff will be released until tomorrow. They have everything but can not sell until tomorrow. Womp! Guess ill be back.

Did they say if they were going to have any of the LE stuff, like the bags?

She did mention they had the bags. She mentioned everything except the journals, which I asked about after and she had to check but they have those as well. I think everything varies depending on the store.

Happy huntings everyone! I'm gonna experience the excitement tomorrow. Might record my experience too and hopefully I don't leave empty-handed. And remember, if you come across any sharks at the stores, just say no.

She did mention they had the bags. She mentioned everything except the journals, which I asked about after and she had to check but they have those as well. I think everything varies depending on the store.

Great, thanks. Just called my store and they'll just have the snow white purse but not the wallet or cosmetic bag.

I am really curious to know if the shark family will show at my store. At least this time it is a raffle so we all have a chance, but if they have caught drift of these dolls, all 10 or so of them might be there. There were three Ariels still at my store a few days after she sold out online so I don't think they knew about her.

I am really curious to know if the shark family will show at my store.

Who IS this family? Are they scalpers? I believe in safety in numbers in this raffle situation, but even though I'm bringing a friend to enter the raffle with me, I'll only be leaving with one Snow White set (even if both our names are drawn). I assume they'll just move on to the next name if someone doesn't claim it, right?

Same thing happened to me this morning. My "local" Disney store is across state lines and I had to pay a $13 toll, needless to say I wasn't leaving without my stuff. I actually called the disneystore.com customer service line and told them what was going on. She then got the manager on the phone and told them to sell the merchandise. I got the Ariel & Eric mug, Beauty & Beast mug and they note cards. They honored the 2 for $18 mug price for my trouble. They didn't get any clothes or bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back