• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Opinions Please! What are the best and worst Disney pins of your favorite character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions Please! What are the best and worst Disney pins of your favorite character?

allottalaughs

Rapunzel Fanatic!
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
:soapbox:
So, I was thinking....
I have my Rapunzel collection and since I have had to trade so heavily for her my pins are dwindling, and I only really have her and my Alice collection left besides my small collection of traders. Since I have worked so hard to attain these pins I have developed a...er.... a problem. I like to look at them--yes, just STARE at them. Sometimes and my bf catches me doing it. We call it my pin-whoring. I have been whoring over my Tangled pins a lot lately since I can't get the BT and they are so gorgeous it made me want to watch Tangled again. I did and I was blown away by how much better the characters are in the movie than they are even in their BEST rendered pin (like the Paris pins). I guess I had forgotten! My jaw dropped the first time I saw the movie and it did again last night!

I fell in love all over again and was reminded why I collect her (which is extensive and can be read on another thread LOL), but this brings up the point that the pins coming out lately have been sub-par, especially for Disney.

DPF, what are your favorite characters that you collect and what do you think about the pins that there are of them in comparison to the orginal art (i.e. the movie or series)?
What are the best and worst pins of your favorite character (in your opinion)?

:anxious:

Just out of curiosity
:wiggle:

I am pretty eclectic in my collecting (and I'm new so I don't have too many nice pins), but I have to say that Ursula is my favorite to collect. Her quality runs the gamut. Sometimes, she's stunning and charming, but other times... No. I think it's hard for pins to compare with the original artwork, but even more so with CGI movies like Tangled.

What's really funny to me is the fake pins with small differences. I have a fake Q is for Queen (the evil queen, of course) and her cross eyed glare is downright hilarious.

I do this ALL. THE. TIME! :lol:

Especially with my Aladdin pins (my main collection)... they are so gorgeous! :D They also have the same effect on me... I always want to watch Aladdin after looking at them LOL, and I never fail to be amazed all over again ;)

Having said that, the artistry in the movie is amazing! :) Much better than THIS pin for example...

pin2169

I know it's not strictly from Aladdin (it's from the last straight-to-VHS sequel, and tbh the animation is rather terrible), but oh my goodness... what were you thinking, Disney pin artists?! I mean I HAD to have it because I hope to be an Aladdin/Jasmine completist, but just... :facepalm:

The best Aladdin pin in my opinion in terms of artistry is a toss up between these two (neither of them are in my collection, but I have seen them in person):

pin53119
pin36874

Those are the two that always jump out at me! ^_^ A lot of Aladdin pins but corners with detail, but these two are spot on IMO ;) <3

Thanks for thinking up this awesome discussion topic! ^_^ <3

Well, Merlin is certainly my favorite character to collect, but Sword in the Stone has some interesting variety, despite its relatively limited number. Merlin likes to pop up in that awful lavender purple for every now and then which drives me insane. He wears blue, darn it. Haha. But it's Madam Mim who gets the short end of the stick. Her pins range from lovely to Please God Make it Stop. Man, poor Madam Mim...

~Merlin

I was going to collect the entire Romance Series from the UK Disney Store but I hated how most of the princesses faces turned out. I don't collect a lot of Aurora pins because her lips looks clownish. I was going to be an Evil Queen completist, there are only roughly 400 pins of her, but I hate how her face looks on most of the pins.

Can't really do too much complaining on my end. My two major movie collections are Treasure Planet and Great Mouse Detective, both of which have relatively few pins and none are really bad in the way of quality. But I am a big fan of Donald Duck, I've been putting together a book of him alone and some of his pins are just ridiculous. Some are admittedly awesome; Hong Kong pins particularly are great. But there are some I don't understand and can't put on my wants list because of some artistic aspect that bugs me.
pin49439
Is that chocolate? Is it mud? Something worse? I don't get it and it bothers me.
pin50843
Not an ugly pin but it looks more like a funeral memorial. Not exactly pleasant.
pin49338
This one is hideous. The Pinpics site calls this one Sad Donald Duck Head...mmm, no, he doesn't look "sad" to me. That looks more like the face of a duck who finally got a chance to run to the bathroom after hours of needing to go. There are a few other pins of his head alone that look like this, all labeled as sad or upset.

And, of course for me, I can't collect anything with Donald from Fantasia 2000. It's just awkward.

I was going to collect the entire Romance Series from the UK Disney Store but I hated how most of the princesses faces turned out. I don't collect a lot of Aurora pins because her lips looks clownish. I was going to be an Evil Queen completist, there are only roughly 400 pins of her, but I hate how her face looks on most of the pins.

I love the Evil Queen and was collecting her when I started out collecting pins, but soon realized that so many pins of her are the same pose of her holding the apple and kinda stopped getting ones of her and focused on other characters.

I think thats my main complaint, when they re-do pretty much the same pin, just make it a little bigger, use a different background, or slap some words on it, but its the same pose/artwork as another one.

Ooooooh! This will be fun!! :D

Okay... I LOVE Ariel. I only tend to collect her in her mermaid form (not so much her human form). So the worst I would say...

pin2850

(Those collagen injections AIN'T workin' for ya Ariel...)
pin7879

(Her......eye....o_O o_O)

pin12502
pin52001
pin59474

(I know a lot of people like this last one but her face looks... creepy and the black lines where the shading starts just looks strange to me)

Best... :D (I own 3 of 5 of these and they are GORGEOUS pins in person!)

pin9655
pin30591
pin35796
pin45648
pin36939

Last edited:
oh god this is EASY for me. Rapunzel Ticket Stub is the UGLIEST THING EVER
pin89645

good god i dont know whats worse, her huge mouth or the huge bloody frill on the top!

for me these are my favourites:
pin80878
pin85996
pin81349

This isn't just me being a jerk...but I always feel like someone who designs lion king pins has no freaking idea who the characters are. Either that or they're seriously into pedophilia of some sort.

pin17648

If you can't see it says "Can you feel the love tonight?" Wat. It's the love song from the movie!

pin54279

AND WHAT. This is NALA and Simba! Not his Mother Sarabi!!! sdkvjzdnlfkjnzabnkzldjfbnkab (It's a mothers day pin btw)

oh god this is EASY for me. Rapunzel Ticket Stub is the UGLIEST THING EVER
pin89645

good god i dont know whats worse, her huge mouth or the huge bloody frill on the top!

You know it actually makes me so sad that many people hate this pin. The artistry and detail on it is actually one of the best in the Tangled pins series...Also if she had been done in 2D she'd be very one model here :/ I love the frill and I wish they had done the lips with silk screening because the extra lines on the left side are what makes them look big (Being outlined in general doesn't help ;A;) Her eyes and hair though are so great! Many pins are getting that so wrong lately! love/hate at its best i guess ;A;

This isn't just me being a jerk...but I always feel like someone who designs lion king pins has no freaking idea who the characters are. Either that or they're seriously into pedophilia of some sort.

pin17648

If you can't see it says "Can you feel the love tonight?" Wat. It's the love song from the movie!

pin54279

AND WHAT. This is NALA and Simba! Not his Mother Sarabi!!! sdkvjzdnlfkjnzabnkzldjfbnkab (It's a mothers day pin btw)

Hilarious! I'm not a Lion King collector but these 2 pins are a bit pervy.

Okay...not my favorite character (there are way too many Stitch pins for me to be selective!), but we will go with one of my favorites: Gaston

The worst pin:

pin34487

....I think it is pretty self explanatory. Giant Turkey, Gaston being throw up into the air by a geyser, with his arms severely broken and his face contorted in utter confusion and disdain...really a work of art, I can't understand why this isn't my grail. I must be delusional!

Best pin!!

pin82599

In my opinion, this UK Disney Store pin really, REALLY gets his character on point. His arched eye brow, smile, and posture are all perfect. The silly girls and Le Fou really help to make this pin great too. It even has the antlers on the chair, I mean really, all its missing is chest hair. I don't know, it just SCREAMS Gaston to me!!

I totally agree that the quality of the design is lacking in the new pins. Take a look at two of my favorites.
pin69256
pin69469

Both of these in my opinion are beautiful and I would be happy to have a print of them on my wall.
On the other hand, the newer designs have lost the crispness and the quality design. Look at this one.
The castle is lame, the characters are out of focus. the only thing that is crisp is the year. I am sure that if it was made as a Jumbo pin this would have looked a lot better but as it is now I wouldn't buy it.
pin94138

This is only my opinion as a collector but...COME ON DISNEY! Make Better Pins.

You know it actually makes me so sad that many people hate this pin. The artistry and detail on it is actually one of the best in the Tangled pins series...Also if she had been done in 2D she'd be very one model here :/ I love the frill and I wish they had done the lips with silk screening because the extra lines on the left side are what makes them look big (Being outlined in general doesn't help ;A;) Her eyes and hair though are so great! Many pins are getting that so wrong lately! love/hate at its best i guess ;A;

I COMPLETELY AGREE! I actually really really like this pin A LOT! I think it's super cute and it's definitely one of my favorites ;~;

Sooo my favorite character is Aladdin :'D

And actually, the movie as a whole tends to get a lot of really nice pins C:

but then there's THIS.

pin11594

And yeah it's TECHNICALLY Sedesma but BUT

JUST LOOK AT THAT D:

...I still have it

Now pins that keep him awesomely on model and are my FAVORITES are

pin7796
pin5692
pin9493

Yeah I know they're simple and aside from the Alphabet one, not THAT hard to get. But he's s simple guy with a simple look C:

Also there's that hilarious wedding one Chalon pointed out. I love it for the sheer derp.

And heeeeey King of Thieves was animated slightly better than Return of Jafar, amirite?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back