• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

2013 Fairytale Designer Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, hope you all managed to get her as she did sell out really fast. Did anyone miss out? Hopefully not as she is probably the most coveted doll out of the entire lot.

Unfortunately it isn't wise to share how. Plenty of scalpers like to scope out the thread for the links to LE dolls, so it's better to just keep that under wraps!

Agreed. I'm happy not knowing :) but very thankful for the link fairies who help us out.

That was quick. I knew that Ariel would go super super fast, especially since even on this board we had a lot of members who missed out at the stores and would be trying online. But I seriously thought she would last at least an hour.

Now that it's over (barring the dreaded, We're sorry we can't complete your order email), I'm just trying to process this whole episode. I haven't collected any of the 12" dolls prior to this series (I'm mostly a 17" LE collector). Since the strongest rumor so far is that they are doing the last 5 princesses next year, I'm hoping that Disneystore looks at this series and ups the edition number. They have blown through their more popular selling princesses already, but I still think 6000 is too small an edition size. Maybe 13,000 was too many, but I think upping the size from 6000 would be reasonable. My physical store could have run through at least 3x what was sent to them.

And sadly, although I think the price tag on these designer couples is overpriced (I'd have put them at $100), we all paid what they asked. They could up the price by another $10-20 and I think they would still have sold.

Agreed. I'm happy not knowing :) but very thankful for the link fairies who help us out.

That was quick. I knew that Ariel would go super super fast, especially since even on this board we had a lot of members who missed out at the stores and would be trying online. But I seriously thought she would last at least an hour.

Now that it's over (barring the dreaded, We're sorry we can't complete your order email), I'm just trying to process this whole episode. I haven't collected any of the 12" dolls prior to this series (I'm mostly a 17" LE collector). Since the strongest rumor so far is that they are doing the last 5 princesses next year, I'm hoping that Disneystore looks at this series and ups the edition number. They have blown through their more popular selling princesses already, but I still think 6000 is too small an edition size. Maybe 13,000 was too many, but I think upping the size from 6000 would be reasonable. My physical store could have run through at least 3x what was sent to them.

And sadly, although I think the price tag on these designer couples is overpriced (I'd have put them at $100), we all paid what they asked. They could up the price by another $10-20 and I think they would still have sold.

Personally I am a fan of the 8,000 edition size that Ariel and Cinderella received during the first designer line. I think that would be a much wiser option, personally. Gives a little more wiggle room without making them too numerous.

Unfortunately it isn't wise to share how. Plenty of scalpers like to scope out the thread for the links to LE dolls, so it's better to just keep that under wraps!

IA. Advertising the how-to both alerts scalpers and could make the links harder to find in the future, if Disney was so inclined.

I have been very fortunate over the years when I didn't know how it worked thanks to kind, quick on the draw folks here and elsewhere, be it for dolls, Vinyls, etc.

I got her, I think! The Forum wasn't loading for me either at first, but then it did, and thanks to certain link fairies I was able to get her. And I can't thank the link fairies enough! Thank you!

Last edited:
Personally I am a fan of the 8,000 edition size that Ariel and Cinderella received during the first designer line. I think that would be a much wiser option, personally. Gives a little more wiggle room without making them too numerous.

8000 would be my preference too! Great minds think alike :)

I wonder if they would do it though. Mulan is my favorite princess, but she's not marketed well by the store (I'm still hoping for an 17" LE for her, but her bluray has come without any fanfare).

I wonder if they would do it though. Mulan is my favorite princess, but she's not marketed well by the store (I'm still hoping for an 17" LE for her, but her bluray has come without any fanfare).

I doubt it. I really want them to, but they rarely hit and usually miss.

As far as Mulan I certainly hope so! Every time a new princess is added I get very anxious for the less marketed ones as far as LE releases ):

As I recall, the original Designer Princess dolls were $64.95, so two dolls at ~ 2x seems reasonable.

The original ones were $59.95 (or $59.99?) pre-tax.

I actually didn't mind the $79.95 price tag for the villains, because all in all the clothes were just that impressive.

The price tag on these sets stung, big time. Luckily, I am not an expensive doll collector normally, so with the exception of the Mermaid 17" dolls and the Lady Tremaine I got last year, I don't have to worry about budgeting for any dolls other than the seemingly now annual Designer sets.

The original ones were $59.95 (or $59.99?) pre-tax.

I actually didn't mind the $79.95 price tag for the villains, because all in all the clothes were just that impressive.

The price tag on these sets stung, big time. Luckily, I am not an expensive doll collector normally, so with the exception of the Mermaid 17" dolls and the Lady Tremaine I got last year, I don't have to worry about budgeting for any dolls other than the seemingly now annual Designer sets.

I'd feel better about the price tag if I felt the Prince doll would be something I'd buy at ~$60. But I kind of view the Princess in each set as the main event, and the prince as her accessory (lol) given the outfits of the prince are not as impressive on the whole. So I thought they were mildly overpriced.

But we vote with our wallets, and clearly Disney didn't pitch the price too high. Given that people are willing to pay $400 on ebay, I seriously wonder what the market would have bourne.

I think if there is a huge backlash of complaints (and there may be with the rapid sell out of DFDC Ariel & Prince Eric), the Disney Store might revamp the edition sizes again.

Personally, I am more in favor of LE 10,000 for Princess dolls, but LE 8,000 works too. Princesses just sell. A good point is the 2011 Designer Ariel doll, which is LE 8,000 and was kind of unknown at first so she did not get gobbled up by sharks so much and many ended up in more permanent collections. However, the demand for her was still high, so I think it is safe to say that more than 8,000 people would buy one. Granted, Ariel is probably the strongest marketed Disney Princess, but if DFDC Ariel & Prince Eric were LE 8,000 or 10,000 they would still probably sell out rapidly.

I'd feel better about the price tag if I felt the Prince doll would be something I'd buy at ~$60. But I kind of view the Princess in each set as the main event, and the prince as her accessory (lol) given the outfits of the prince are not as impressive on the whole. So I thought they were mildly overpriced.

But we vote with our wallets, and clearly Disney didn't pitch the price too high. Given that people are willing to pay $400 on ebay, I seriously wonder what the market would have bourne.

For me, the only prince who was actually worth his proverbial salt (in terms of these sets) was Beast. He was/is really unique, IMO, and I think the only one of the male dolls that was actually worth the money.

The rest, as you said, for me are like accessories, LOL. Some worse than others, namely Snow's Prince and Flynn, sadly. Aladdin's not too bad, though his clothes really do not fit properly. Eric is the second best for me behind Beast, but still not worth that cost to me. But hey, let's face it, I would have shelled out the $130 just for Ariel alone. She is my all-time favorite.

I certainly had no intention of getting all five sets, but whaddya know. :facepalm: The princesses are what made me end up getting them all, with the exception of the BaTB set. Beast sold me on that one. All things considered, most of those early released pictures really did not do these dolls justice.

I certainly wouldn't mind if they were not quite so limited. I'd buy them no matter what the edition size is because I love this set so much!

I thought this line should have at least been 8000 and was surprised they bumped it down to 6000. Apart from not including Cinderella and Aurora, this "go-round" had the most popular princesses, especially Ariel. I'd love them to bump up the edition size, but at the same time I'd also like it if all the couples were 6000 together (if they continue them next year.)

I see a LOT of people on Facebook either cursing up a storm or claiming they are still able to get her... I wonder if they realize that even though they maybe checked out with her, that doesn't mean it will actually go through. It is hard for me to believe that they would still be selling an hour after the fact when so many people have already tried and had their orders cancelled...

Even though I did not have to resort to going online for any of the designers this year, I want to thank all the link fairies and everyone else who has made this such a fun experience! This was my first time "opening up" in the Forum and I had a lot of good discussion with you all! Can't wait until the next LE doll to come along (Frozen!) and more speculation! You all are great. :D

For me, the only prince who was actually worth his proverbial salt (in terms of these sets) was Beast. He was/is really unique, IMO, and I think the only one of the male dolls that was actually worth the money.

The rest, as you said, for me are like accessories, LOL. Some worse than others, namely Snow's Prince and Flynn, sadly. Aladdin's not too bad, though his clothes really do not fit properly. Eric is the second best for me behind Beast, but still not worth that cost to me. But hey, let's face it, I would have shelled out the $130 just for Ariel alone. She is my all-time favorite.

I certainly had no intention of getting all five sets, but whaddya know. :facepalm: The princesses are what made me end up getting them all, with the exception of the BaTB set. Beast sold me on that one. All things considered, most of those early released pictures really did not do these dolls justice.

Lol. I had no intention of buying as many as I did either (all but Jasmine; my budget wouldn't stretch that far, so one had to go and I'm not a big fan of the Aladdin movie). I was only going to buy Belle and ~maybe~ Ariel. But then I saw them in the store and knew I needed Snow and Rapunzel too.

And I'm not proud of this, but if I hadn't been able to get Belle I would absolutely have been willing to pay $400 for her. Disneystore almost never gets her in a way that I like (I hated how they did the 17" LE for her to the extent that I wasn't willing to get her at retail), and I love her dress in this one. And as you said, the Beast is unique for her set.

I certainly wouldn't mind if they were not quite so limited. I'd buy them no matter what the edition size is because I love this set so much!

+1000000! I actually wish they would pull away from the announced edition sizes and individual numbering and just call it a "limited release" the way Mattel used to do. I also always choose which dolls to buy for my collection because I just love them, not because there are only x-number of them out there.

Lol. I had no intention of buying as many as I did either (all but Jasmine; my budget wouldn't stretch that far, so one had to go and I'm not a big fan of the Aladdin movie). I was only going to buy Belle and ~maybe~ Ariel. But then I saw them in the store and knew I needed Snow and Rapunzel too.

And I'm not proud of this, but if I hadn't been able to get Belle I would absolutely have been willing to pay $400 for her. Disneystore almost never gets her in a way that I like (I hated how they did the 17" LE for her to the extent that I wasn't willing to get her at retail), and I love her dress in this one. And as you said, the Beast is unique for her set.

I am so glad you didn't have to pay that much! The prices are insane. I have all 21 store releases now, and I have been very fortunate and gotten all of my Designers at retail except for one. When Dollmageddon happened, I successfully ordered all 5 dolls that day in two separate orders (Rapunzel and Pocahontas in one, the other three in a second order). There was a glitch with my first order, and it didn't appear I would get either Rap or Poc (my favorites from that set after Ariel). So, I did exactly what you should NOT do-- I panicked and jumped on eBay and won a Rapunzel auction for something like $160. Few days later, my order issues were resolved and the at-cost dolls were in the mail.

But it worked out in the end. I ended up trading the extra Rapunzel for the one doll I was missing, Cinderella. The completest in me was very happy. :lol:

Where are you guys going on Facebook that people are talking about the dolls? I went to the Disney Store facebook page and they didn't even mention the dolls.

Last edited:
Did you guys notice that there are over 450 listings on Ebay for Ariel? The flippers must have taken their cue from how Belle shot up and gone a bit crazy buying Ariel.

There are a couple of like pages, I was looking at one called "Disney Limited Edition Dolls" and another called "Disney Store Collector Dolls."

Judging by what I'm reading on the LE page, I think a whole lot of those folks are in for oversold, cancellation emails. It's post after post of people talking about adding the set tons of times well over an hour after it was first listed, until the order "goes through."

I bet 99.999% of those orders did not really go through. Such a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back