• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disneystore.com Designer Villains pin set is available - LE 200

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question. Why are the villains priced so high?

Last year's Designer Princesses - the mark up was 100% (so $400 for the 10-pin set within a week or two), gradually going up to $500, then $600, then $700, and now this year, $1000-1250. So, about a 500-600% mark-up, but that took a year.

For the villains, the mark-up is 300-400% straight out the gate (original price $150, ebay selling is $500-600).

So, what gives? There are 50 more sets of Designer Villains than Princesses. There are less pins (6 vs 10) so the original cost is pricier (6 pins @ $150 = $25 per pin vs 10 pins at $200 = $20 per pin). I'm not taking into account tax or discounts.

They see what the princesses cost now and hope the hype for all the upcoming Villany things will help boost the profit. The people who can't wait and are buying them now are the ones making the prices stay.

Last year's Designer Princesses - the mark up was 100% (so $400 for the 10-pin set within a week or two), gradually going up to $500, then $600, then $700, and now this year, $1000-1250. So, about a 500-600% mark-up, but that took a year.

For the villains, the mark-up is 300-400% straight out the gate (original price $150, ebay selling is $500-600).

So, what gives? There are 50 more sets of Designer Villains than Princesses. There are less pins (6 vs 10) so the original cost is pricier (6 pins @ $150 = $25 per pin vs 10 pins at $200 = $20 per pin). I'm not taking into account tax or discounts.

The sellers want all the appreciation. That's it. They don't like it when they sell a pin for double their cost and then see it quadruple in price a year later. They are trying bring forward the appreciation.

In my opinion, I think it just contributes to the death of the hobby. Oh well....

Back when the princesses were released, Disneystore was releasing pins every week. Now their releases are more few and far between. And this release was totally unexpected!

I think the price will come down as more are listed, so far only 11 sets that I can see have been listed

This has a high chance of happening, whenever special edition or LE things come out, the prices are always highest right out of the gate because people who aren't patient have to have them RIGHT NOW. This keeps the price consistently high, but after there is an over-saturation in the market for them, the price will go down. How much, probably not any less than $300, but still down steeply.

but after there is an over-saturation in the market for them, the price will go down. How much, probably not any less than $300, but still down steeply.

That is what I am guessing. Some people must be waiting to sell them on Ebay. They probably won't want to sell until they have the actual pins in hand from ds.com. And then there will be a surplus on Ebay.

That is what I am guessing. Some people must be waiting to sell them on Ebay. They probably won't want to sell until they have the actual pins in hand from ds.com. And then there will be a surplus on Ebay.

And that is when the co-ops strike!!! lol I'm hoping people break the set apart because I'm only looking for Ursula and Maleficent, but I know it'll be a while before they start being split on Ebay.

but I want them Nooooooowwww!! :lol:

PATIENCE everyone. I am a Villains collector and I did NOT get this set. Didn't even find out about it until hours after it was Sold Out.

Wait (I know this is hard) for a few weeks/months, maybe YEARS to pass and the price will come back to reality. I have waited YEARS to get some pins I wanted, but I refuse to get involved with the Auction sites and the crazy prices folks are willing to pay right now.

Anyone familiar with the IPO of Facebook a few weeks ago, same things as this pin set IMHO!!

Mike S.

Maybe it is just the cost of production for Disney in general that caused the mark up (Disney Store of course, not ebay)? The Designer Princess artist saw how much of a hit the designer princesses were and he asked for a raise. :p

As for ebay, I think the sellers just know they have a hot item on their hands and are marking it up according to the prices of other pins. It seems that the prices of ALL PINS have been increasing exponentially over the past few months.

Also, here's a calculation I did as well. I have been trying to sell pins to purchase the Designer Princess set. Based off of ORIGINAL PRICE alone, if I used the same mark up as the Designer Princesses (i'm using the price of $1550 as that is the only complete set I see online)... a year from now, the Designer Villains will be selling for.....

$1162.50!!!!!

With that said, I will gladly sell my villains set for 186.50 (price with shipping and tax) if you could find me anyone who will be willing to sell me their Designer Princess pins for $200 plus tax and shipping! :hug: it was worth a try, right? :p

Good luck everyone! I hope there will be enough for at least those who really want it to get the ones they want for a good price.

Ugh... after complaining to Disney apparently their manager has agreed to do a sweep on all Villain sets to see if anyone has purchased more than 1 set. The manager(whos name I will keep hidden) has stated that they will search each order based on email address, shipping address, phone number and lastly credit card number. She told me more than likely if 1 credit card was used to purchase more than 1 set they will try to contact the buyer and void all of his order numbers. She told me that these pins have NOT been shipped out yet according to the system and nothing is guaranteed until the pins show a tracking number and have left the warehouse. I am DYING to get these pins so I will keep complaining in hopes that whoever is trying to make such a massive profit on these will get penalized and hopefully get their orders voided, even if they are a DPF member.

Ugh... after complaining to Disney apparently their manager has agreed to do a sweep on all Villain sets to see if anyone has purchased more than 1 set. The manager(whos name I will keep hidden) has stated that they will search each order based on email address, shipping address, phone number and lastly credit card number. She told me more than likely if 1 credit card was used to purchase more than 1 set they will try to contact the buyer and void all of his order numbers. She told me that these pins have NOT been shipped out yet according to the system and nothing is guaranteed until the pins show a tracking number and have left the warehouse. I am DYING to get these pins so I will keep complaining in hopes that whoever is trying to make such a massive profit on these will get penalized and hopefully get their orders voided, even if they are a DPF member.

If you read all the posts on this thread there is one person on Ebay who already bought at least 6 of them because this one seller has sold I think 5 or 6 sets of the pins already. If that is the case and they void their purchases, what happens to the pins that they bought? Will they just put 6 or so back up and sell those for all of 5 seconds or will they not sell them? What'll happen to those lovely sets!!!!!!!!!!!

The lady on the phone told me that they would go back up lol...then everyone will blow up the DS.com servers trying to buy those last 6 ahhaah

"She told me more than likely if 1 credit card was used to purchase more than 1 set they will try to contact the buyer and void all of his order numbers."

Could this happen? I did try to purchase 2 sets with one credit card (one for me, one for my boyfriend) and the website did not even allow me to do that. I tried once in the same transaction and again in a separate transaction but it would give an error every time. I was only able to charge one set to my card and could not use it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back