• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

People are so judgemental

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are so judgemental
I think one of the most appealing things about pin collecting is that anyone of any age can get into it. Children, teens, adults... no one is excluded. :) You can be a super serious collector & focus on the rare & expensive, or you can casually pick up a pin here & there just because you like it. There are so many options. Don't let anyone take away the joy you get from a fun hobby.

I'm almost 47 and I only started collected last summer. It's no different from any other collecting hobby (baseball cards, stamps, coins, etc.). Besides, growing up is seriously over-rated.

I would tell them so what? There are many guys out there that would say my love of Disney isn't manly. That's fine, while I am enjoying my life, those type of people are forever looking over their shoulder making sure that they everything is in check in case someone is looking. Only those that are insecure with themselves judge others.

Too old to collect pins? Would they also say you're too old to be going to Disneyland? I don't even understand this concept.

Walt himself was adamant about everything Disney being for all ages. His vision of Disneyland, he stated explicitly, was for a place where adults and kids could have fun together. So you can tell the judgmental people THAT!

Or just tell 'em to go jump in the lake. :)

There's the occasional CM who I've seen take off their lanyard when they spot older park goers with pins make a beeline for them. But I've had many more CM's see my pins then stop me and ask if I'd like to trade! And I'm far from being a spring chicken at 33. I've had some great conversations with CMs and have found out a lot of park history from trading.

I also have little kids eying my lanyard all the time. I usually only have hidden mickeys which I re-trade over and over for fun. If they have pins, I'll ask if they want to trade. With younger kids I think trading is a great way to help them learn about sharing and interacting with adults. My favorite was a 3 year-old girl who I gave her a pin with princesses on it because she said two of them were her favorite. Her mom said, "Now Sweetie, what do you say?" and the little girl looking lovingly at the pin goes "Awwwe". Best thank you ever!

Also, doesn't it get annoying, when people keep saying: really?? are you going to Disneyland again??

Yeah, so, "you go to Spain for 2 weeks every single year" ... quite the same in my opinion.

I am 36. my hubby is 41. we are not to old. Some of the people I see at PTN's are in thier late 60's.

Do they think only kids collect pins? Do they think these shiney bits of metal are worthless? Some of these pins can be investments in retirement or college funds!!!

Meh... People judge me all the time. I tell them to get over themselves. We all have our hobbies. As long as I'm not asking the, for money to finance it or something like that, what difference does it actually make to their lives?

I smile when people judge over my disney adiction. The just don't understand and you are never ever to old to collect disney pins or other stuff. And I never have had any strange look of castmembers about it. most of the time the don't care that much and in the States my experiance is that the love trading after the find out I'm from europe. I had 1 great experiance in orlando in the shop from the studio tram tour. By mistake I was looking at a childerenlanyard oeps...But the Castmamber a nice girl doesn;t boter that much. She only let me do silly things and a little dance for the pin I just loved on here lanyard and after that we have tolk for a while. She loved all the people collecting pins.So just don't care thats the best way!

Wife and I are in our mid-60's!! Have been Disney fans for over 45 YEARS!! Collect what you want and enjoy!! Pin collecting way before 2000!

Mike S
Figment919

Oh yeah, this! I've no interest in going out clubbing and getting so drunk I can't walk. Infact I've never really been that person. I'd much rather have a night on the sofa with a cuppa and some Disney movies. I'm also 22 (23 in a month)

Exactly same as me :) .....but I'm 26 :)
ive never been one for clubs and pubs. Not my type of scene or music. Hence why I am Straight Edge X.

End of the day its my money so I can choose to do what I like with it. If they don't like what I'm doing with it they can go away it's not down to them.

I already get judged for being alternative and have since I was 13, I'm used to the talking lol

I agree with the earlier comment that a lot of these pins are little works of art! I grew up with cloisonne bracelets and earrings (relatives' jewelry, it's very common in China) and discovering the details of these pins really blew me away! I started roughly 4 months ago, and certainly my Magic the Gathering friends sometimes think I'm odd - but so are they, and it all works out in the end :) We've each got our own passions!

To each his/her own. I wouldn't take what others say to the heart because most of the times people speak out of their behinds when their jealous. Just let it brush off your shoulder and keep it moving. Whenever your on to something good others will hate and discourage you as to throw your focus off. Cheer up though...I'm 27 and I still collect pins and there's nothing anyone can say about it to make me stop!

I've had that said to me too. I collect disney plush toys to some degree too. I have a 5ft tall simba! People think I'm weird/nuts, but hey at least I have an interest!

That is really cool! Did Disney ever sell a 5ft tall Simba or did you know someone who worked at Disney and gave you the giant display stuffed animal?

I'm 32 and have been collecting since I was 23. People are like "you're going to Disney again?" and I take it as more of a jealousy thing than anything. There are people I know that would kill to go to Disney multiple times a year but can't because of other reasons. I'm proud of my collection and even had my wife get into it and she even wore a pin in our wedding as a homage to my collection!

That is really cool! Did Disney ever sell a 5ft tall Simba or did you know someone who worked at Disney and gave you the giant display stuffed animal?
They were used as promotion in Asda (like Walmart) to promote the lion king 2 I believe. I bought it from eBay and had to hire a man and van to bring it to my house and help me up the stairs with it! It weighs about 30kg! He was expensive (not as much as some of the pins on my wants though) they were never on general sale and were made by Douglas cuddle toys.
heres a pic... Yes he takes up almost my whole room! I will get a pic of me with him at some point.
C2A0593F-2DD1-4E8E-8FCA-701C32CC34AE-115-00000003FE43A761.jpg

85E25F77-CF63-4B71-A6E8-A48199FDB5C2-115-0000003E45B3C96F.jpg

I am not ashamed!

They were used as promotion in Asda (like Walmart) to promote the lion king 2 I believe. I bought it from eBay and had to hire a man and van to bring it to my house and help me up the stairs with it! It weighs about 30kg! He was expensive (not as much as some of the pins on my wants though) they were never on general sale and were made by Douglas cuddle toys.
heres a pic... Yes he takes up almost my whole room! I will get a pic of me with him at some point.
C2A0593F-2DD1-4E8E-8FCA-701C32CC34AE-115-00000003FE43A761.jpg

85E25F77-CF63-4B71-A6E8-A48199FDB5C2-115-0000003E45B3C96F.jpg

I am not ashamed!

That is awesome :). Love your Lion King plushie collection!

People judge me alot when I tell them I am a fan of Disney, but they shrug it off later when I tell them I worked there(or as my friend tells everyone: I was enslaved there). I grew to love pin trading the opposite way then most, as a CM trading with guests, and I loved giving most guests a magical experience. Half of the people I traded with were older guests(and I didn't care one bit except for the one time a person said I had junk pins) As a CM, you had peers that loved the hobby, and those that despised it for be a people magnet or was forced to wear it as part of a costume with a speel. As a 26 year old father of one, I'm trying to give my little one an appreciation of just being a kid. I don't want her to be one of those that try to grow up early or give into peers in school that think it so cool to want to watch/listen mature movies/music in elementary school. If that means watching her dad act like a silly kid, then so be it...

I'm 28. Currently Watching Courage the Cowardly Dog (From Cartoon Network). Boyfriend wants a Mickey Mouse themed room when we move in together and we both play video games. Oh and I've been deployed to Iraq and Kuwait, help fly planes, and used to be a Mortician. Boyfriend manages a grocery store. That's about as adult as we are going to get.

Tell them they can take their opinion and do....well...other stuff lol....

I am 32, and not only do I pin trade, but I still ride the classic rides like Snow White, Mr. Toads Wild ride once in a while by myself (plus I am still trying to find the hidden Mickey's found in the rides). When I tell my friends and coworkers that I am going to Disneyland they say they wish they could go, and most admire my collection. It's a great hobby that gives people a chance to socialize and make new friends, and there is no age limit to that.

Pin Collectors are the sexiest people alive because we are faithful to our Royal Treasures (pins). Who is to place an age limit on our pins?? Besides Pin Traders have a creative and loving mind. Those with imaginations have dreams and goals, those without, live unhappily ever after.

Pin trading is sexy and we all have hot pins.

I'll be 42 next Thursday and I'm just starting to collect pins. Before that, it was (and still is) comic books, toys and baseball cards. I don't listen to people because I know I will be collecting until the day I die. Most people who talk nonsense are people who are clueless on how to enjoy life.

Never stop what you love doing!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back