• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pins and Relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pins and Relationships
Since me and my bf have been trading (around 3 years) we have ALWAYS kept our pins separate, just like Psycho Pixie. When we buy pins he buys a set to trade for his stuff and I buy a set to trade for my stuff. Just like Psycho Pixie, if someone doesn't see something in his book for something he wants, I always offer my pins too with the agreement that he will either replace it or gimme something that's almost the same (whatever is easier). The ONLY (and I mean we both contributed to this set) collection we have together are Beloved Tales and this was 1.5 years after we kept our collection separate. Sometimes we joke around like "oh I bought this one" or "I made a bigger contribution to this set", we know that we are 50/50 on this set. We never have talked about "if" we break up who's gonna keep what, but I think that we would just sell the set and go 50/50 on the money... Maybe for NOW, Prince Eric, collections should be separate, but it'd be nice for you to help him out because he's going to be a newbie and he's going to start to have grails AND you know sometimes it's really tough to get certain pins especially as a newbie.

I don't see myself breaking up with my bf anytime soon (sorry ladies lol jk) but IF we where to ever split up I would let him keep all the pins since he was the one who got me into this hobby. im sorry he took your collection out of malice. i hope he stabs himself a thousand times with the pin backs and runs out of hidden mickey backs for doing that to you. <3

What I do with my wife, we both have separate bag for our keepers and traders, but we both use our traders IE if I see something I want and they want something my wife has in her traders she would trade with me, and I do the same now our keepers is ours as we do as we please. I also use my traders with our daughter too,

Myself and fiance don't hasve pins in common but we collect wwe merch, we keep everything dispalyed together (figures dvd's etc) but we know what belongs to who. We don't share anything so if worst came to worst (upsetting thought) we would know what belongs to each of us.
xoxo

My boyfriend doesn't collect pins, although he does humour the hobby and is happy when I get new pins... However, I do have a small pin collection I started for him- just a few pins of characters he likes and things that remind me of him :lol: So I guess all the pins are mine, but if we ever broke up (AWFUL thought!!!), I'd probably let him keep the mini collection... but for your circumstance, I'd say keep everything separate, at least for now. Good luck with your new Prince! ^_^ I hope he's a Charming one! ;) <3

Last edited:
Its muddled answer-

We have separate collections and combined collections but our traders are combined togeather. I tend to be the one to make the trades though I know which ones to get the "okay" since most of those I never collected (mansion/pirates) to make sure I have the right 'value'.. He also focuses more on vinyl than pins (since for him once they stopped DTD where he hung out all the time- its not as fun)

There are some collections we won't 'share' like Contemporary I have almost a complete set, He has almost a complete set (each missing 1 or 2 different pins) and neither one of us will part with our 'cast atlas' or 'wild about safety' sets but since for the most part we collect different things it works out very well and we trade for each other-

Were things ever to end the lines would easily be drawn on collections- traders I'd prob end up with since thats my focus but he'd get all the vinyls..

Well, Gaston and I have our Gaston collection...so if we ever broke up (or if Beast pushed him off of a roof), I suppose I would keep them all, as a memorial to his majesty and handsome-ness....

Just kidding. :D But in all seriousness, I agree with others on this. Keep them separate for the most part. Maybe if you have some sort of bond over something, after you've been together for some time, collect that together. And in the event a breakup occurs, sell them all and split the money.

I don't think I could ever be with someone who doesn't collect at least ONE thing (I don't care if its seashells). I am a ridiculously obnoxious collector, and I really like dolls and pins. If I ever dated someone who didn't understand these things, I can't even see our relationship working out (I can just picture the fights over money and space!). I plan to have the basement of my house set aside for my collections, and to leave the rest of the home "normal" looking. If a significant other couldn't handle this, we just couldn't be together~ There is something to be understood about collectors, and most people can't understand us unless they collect something themselves.

My past boyfriends/partners have been critical of my collecting. I do spend a LOT of money on my things, but I never use anything but Paypal funds I've made from selling on the internet. I plan to keep it this way when I am older, so hopefully, I don't have to worry about fighting over me using all the savings on pins!! Lol.

All of our pins are together but we just celebrated our 14th Wedding Anniversary yesterday and are still happy as ever so we have no problems keeping everything combined. Pretty much other than clothing (he has a few pieces I like to borrow), everything we own is ours. We don't have alot of mine and yours. Just never have.

All of our pins are together but we just celebrated our 14th Wedding Anniversary yesterday and are still happy as ever so we have no problems keeping everything combined. Pretty much other than clothing (he has a few pieces I like to borrow), everything we own is ours. We don't have alot of mine and yours. Just never have.

Happy belated wedding anniversary Lisa and Bryan!!

My husband thinks my pin addiction is INSANE, but he's good-natured about it.

I agree that you should keep the pins separate. It's wonderful to share a hobby, but it's also nice to have something that's your own. If your new prince is becoming interested in pins, a good way to approach it might be to give him a small pin bag/book as a gift, maybe with a few basic starter pins.

My husband is not a pin collector either, and only my daughter still collects out of the rest of our family. We each have our own keepers, but we trade out of the same books as she cannot afford to buy many pins to trade. Even though I buy most of the traders, her collection is hers. If my husband did collect pins, I believe I would keep our collections separate as well, but wouldn't mind trading from the same books as I do with my daughter:)

My boyfriend doesn't collect pins, so all of them are mine.
I wish he did like them as much as I do, because then I would have someone to talk about pins with and buy even better pins.
He just thinks that the expensive ones, actually all pins, are a waste of money; which really upsets me.
If we split up all the pins will be mine and my collection will get bigger and bigger :)

My BF and I enjoy collecting- although I am more into it than he is. We collect different things- and for different reasons. Although we keep them together- both collections are rather small, we know which pins belong to each other. As the collection grows we will separate, I'm sure. I think keeping the line clear is important.

At the moment im lucky im still with my bf even though he dont collect any pins but buys them for me i love him so much for buying me the pins even though he has no interest in starting collecting ge is interested in what i do with my set and tries to follow what i do and all the events what goes on

Hehe, princess jasmine and Emily, your situations sound very similar to mine, my husband doesn't collect, so unfortunately when we married I didn't get additional pins along with a husband :p but he is very patient with me, considering its all I usually talk about!! Just smiles and nods in a bemused 'shes crazy' kinda way. And as he loves aladdin I started an aladdin collection, 'just for him' pah ha just an excuse to BUY MORE! He still hasn't bought me any yet though :s must get hinting

My husband has a collection but is not an active trader. He probably would not know where to start if he ever wanted to get rid of his collection. lol

My boyfriend and I have our own collections but we trade together. One trader book and if we see something for one of our collecitions then we trade! :) the only collections we have together is our kingdom hearts pins and our pin trader delights! We have been together for 4 years and been trading for 2 or 3 years. We have never talked about leaving each other and our love is strong!:) we love pin trading together and we hope to keep pin trading for years to come! :)

"dont get even,.get everything"---Ivyana Trump. ITS ALL MINE! "mine mine mine"==Seagulls Finding Nemo

thats what works for me. He drives me to PTN in NJ, fly's me to WDW and DL for events. Picks up pins when he is on business.....and i get to keep them all. I have to "do stuff"--but a girls gotta DO!

hey new boy?? do tell.

hahaha, I made my husband promise that if we ever got divorced, I could keep all the pins. AND if I ever died and he remarried someone cuter, I would haunt him. he just laughed and agreed, provided he could keep all the blu-rays. :)

seriously though, we each have our own collections. we do have a collection together, and its so difficult to get that I think we would stay married for the sake of the collection! but mostly we have our own likes and wants. I surprise him with pins and secretly trade for his wants and he does the same. mostly, though, we work on our own collections. its great to have a fellow pin trader in the house!

Sorry that happened to you! What a jerk. :( While some kind of "pin prenup" might be justified it would probably be a tough conversation to have early on in a relationship. I would probably just try to collect as a team but keep things separate, which should be easy as long as you collect different things. My husband isn't into pins, although he has 1 or 2 he does love. I am basically collecting them for him against his will, lol. I have also thought about when my kids grow up and move out will they want to take all the pins? At least they would be in the family still but I hope they leave me with something!

I'm very lucky as hubby does not get pins, so he doesn't have any.

He does have a few other Disney items but not many. I've not managed to get him hooked yet.

But surely the rule is what's mine is mine and what's yours is mine ;)

I'm sorry to hear that happened. My Wife has small, yet proud, collection of a lady and the tramp pins that she got and traded for when we were on our honeymoon; I keep those away from my pin collection. Due to our small apartment, most of my stuff(pins and other disney merch) are in a box downstairs in the basement, but that is clearly marked with my name so I can easily discern what it is.

Last edited:
I have no intentions of ever breaking up with my fiancée, so hopefully separating out the collections never become an issue. Right now, her level of pin buying is pretty simple: she just buys the odd one that she likes. During our trip to DLP a couple weeks ago, she bought a pin of Periwinkle without even knowing who that is... She just thought it was pretty ^_^ I don't think there will ever be a risk of not being able to figure out who owns the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea collection. MY collection of souvenir pins (Disneyland, Disneysea, WDFM, DLP, etc.) might end up becoming OUR collection of souvenir pins now that we're taking our trips to Disney together, but as a general rule I think the person who actually bought them gets to claim them (unless it was a gift).

Like everyone says, keep them separate. If you can't, or want to have a joint collection (for any reason, especially sentimental), maybe keep an Excel spreadsheet handy of who bought/traded for what (and their value) so that way if you do separate, you can separate amicably? I know that's all theoretical, but it's optimism. Sometimes, the person who didn't collect to begin with may just give (or sell) the pins to the person who loves the hobby, and get out of it, because they will associate the hobby with that person (i.e., the now-ex was the one who got them into the hobby to begin with), so it may not even come down to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back