• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

DOLLS 2022 Limited Edition Dolls

DOLLS 2022 Limited Edition Dolls
Saw this on Facebook - a comparison between the LE1000 Merida (D23) and LE4900 Merida (general release)

306669829_522170933245559_3396307063555878011_n.jpg

Saw this on Facebook - a comparison between the LE1000 Merida (D23) and LE4900 Merida (general release)

306669829_522170933245559_3396307063555878011_n.jpg
Hmm, definitely lots of features missing. Though I've never bought a D23 before, so I am not a good judge of either dolls. Are these differences normal for the price difference that you guys can tell?

Hmm, definitely lots of features missing. Though I've never bought a D23 before, so I am not a good judge of either dolls. Are these differences normal for the price difference that you guys can tell?

This is the first time there has been a variant of a D23 doll in the same dress.

The last "variant" D23 doll was Ariel (pink dress for D23, mermaid for regular release).
The last "variant" D23 doll that had a similar outfit, but different color was Jasmine (red for D23, teal for regular release).

I seem to recall the Ariel was $149.99 as well.

So, I would guess the differences are normal for the price difference and LE size difference.

Remember, the Aurora Harrod's dolls (2 pack) were LE100 and I think £500 or £750; they had embroidery on all the panels of the dresses, rather than every other one that the general release did

This is the first time there has been a variant of a D23 doll in the same dress.

The last "variant" D23 doll was Ariel (pink dress for D23, mermaid for regular release).
The last "variant" D23 doll that had a similar outfit, but different color was Jasmine (red for D23, teal for regular release).

So, I would guess the differences are normal for the price difference and LE size difference.

Remember, the Aurora Harrod's dolls (2 pack) were LE100 and I think £500 or £750; they had embroidery on all the panels of the dresses, rather than every other one that the general release did
Thank you! Good memory on all of that!

There is also the D23 Vanessa which had more details than the shopdisney Vanessa (pearly skin, a cape, extra dress embellishments are what I can remember off the top of my head). They also had the same outfit. The differences in D23 and general release Merida are much more apparent in my opinion, which is disappointing.

There is also the D23 Vanessa which had more details than the shopdisney Vanessa (pearly skin, a cape, extra dress embellishments are what I can remember off the top of my head). They also had the same outfit. The differences in D23 and general release Merida are much more apparent in my opinion, which is disappointing.
And they both fetch about the same price!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Agreed, sounds like ppl just want Vanessa and don't care about the differences. Sounds expensive to be in that group of collectors. Yikes.

So it's almost October, and we haven't seen any leaks for the next Ultimate Princess doll? :/

I'm going to see if I can find a comparison of the D23 Vanessa and general release Vanessa.

Do I like it? Yes; it's cute and different.

Am I also wondering whether they're toeing a line on cultural appropriation? Also yes.

IDK. And since the pin is 2D, we don't know if it's more of a cape. Will be curious to see the outfit in 3 dimensions and gauge the broader response. And/or maybe the artist's inspiration story will make it seem a bit less questionable in this day and age, if it is in fact a kimono.

I guess I'm not worried at all about cultural appropriation, and the reason being that the Asian cultures themselves seem to be the ones doing the style crossovers. If they are okay with it, I am too.

Popmart is selling a series of Disney collectibles in Chinese Han outfits and at first it was only available in some Asian countries. (I think Amazon might now be selling them in America, but at first they didn't launch here.) It has all sorts of Disney princesses and princes dressed in Han outfits (which makes me think the Japanese equivalent would be a kimono style theme).

And then there's Japan having fun with letting tourists dress up in traditional fashions. I had a friend do that on a recent trip to Japan and the workers had a lot of fun dressing up her and her sister. They weren't bothered by it.

Here's a picture of the Popmart Disney Han crossover figures (which look amazing).

image upload

So it's not the doll, but it gives a sneak peek at Second Aurora's design ...
541ddc780494757077374851e0a4a6ce.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
This is NOT what I was expecting! I'm confused by the design, but I'm reserving my judgment for when I see the actual three-dimensional doll as well as the designer's explanation of their inspiration. The pins don't represent the dolls well in my opinion, so I can't tell yet if I'm a fan or not. This is definitely a unique look, as are many others in this series. The Briar Rose hint had me expecting something more resembling the classic outfit, but I see that this actually uses that outfit's color scheme pretty well. My curiosity is piqued...

Do I like it? Yes; it's cute and different.

Am I also wondering whether they're toeing a line on cultural appropriation? Also yes.

IDK. And since the pin is 2D, we don't know if it's more of a cape. Will be curious to see the outfit in 3 dimensions and gauge the broader response. And/or maybe the artist's inspiration story will make it seem a bit less questionable in this day and age, if it is in fact a kimono.
I feel like it depends on who designed the doll. I'm not sure if they ever elaborate that though.

That also said, there have been many articles and interviews stating that many Japanese citizens don't feel like the kimono can be appropriated, and are more excited to see people wearing something distinctly Japanese because they generally see it as appreciation of their culture. Of course, as with every culture they're not a hive mind, but the general consensus from native Japanese folks seems to be that it makes them proud to see their culture appreciated. That becomes a bit muddied though when it's used for profit with a non-Japanese character which is why I feel like it'd be important to know who designed this outfit in particular.

Ok I’ve mostly rolled my eyes at the whole ‘these dolls don’t look like their movie counter parts’ criticism for this line because I do not care. I like seeing the Princesses in different color schemes and styles.

But that being said, this is just straight up a Barbie doll. Like. There’s nothing ‘Aurora’ or ‘Disney Princess’ about this doll at all. If you told me Mattel released this as a limited edition Barbie I wouldn’t blink. And no shade towards Barbie, she’s great, but that’s not what I want from an Aurora doll or a Disney Designer doll.

Last edited:
I see that the designer of this doll is Richard Chan (making an assumption he is Chinese at the moment), and I'm wondering if he got inspiration from the Chinese Han clothing style for her dress.

That being said, the dress still feels too much like modern art, and less like clothes. I really wanted to like the doll from the pin art. It had potential. But my eye doesn't know how to process all the lines, colors, and cuts. Like parts of the outfit are nice, but put the parts together and it seems very cluttered. Unless she goes on sale (probably not since I heard they cut her lot size), I will probably pass on her. Beautiful face on the doll, but the outfit is chaotic for me. Such a shame too, because Briar Rose is one of my favorite Disney princess styles.

The good news is I’ll be saving my money and skipping this one. She actually is a pretty doll if she were just an ordinary doll. It’s Just not what I’m willing to pay $130 for. I love that the designer series takes risks and explores new territory with the characters. But I also love even more when they can do that while still keeping the characters grounded in their likeness. They already changed her face, but her hair now is just….I actually now prefer the hair of the previous Aurora doll. I want to reiterate she is a nice doll and the designer did a good job, no disrespect to them at all , but I do agree @MissLemon , this is something more along the lines of what I would expect from Mattel or Hasbro as a look for a new fairy collection and not something from Disney. She looks like a new iteration of those barbie and the enchanted forest or something movies.

In regards to the pin art we saw earlier, I can see and understand where the designer was trying to go. Taking into account the designers name and possible background, If anything the outfit doesn’t appear to me like a kimono at all but more like robes. I just wish there was a more solid and stable concept with detailed embellishments to make this doll stand out as a designer doll instead of a run of the mill Mattell doll, especially for such a price.

Back