• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Kiss DSF releases goodbye...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ebay seller that has sold 6 sets total was planning on that until DSF made their world crash and burn. Six sets means six people and if they can manage that in a line a 5am more power to them.
ummm, you better check again , the sellers are back $235.00 or BO , sold two sets , two sets left after this one sells . thats five people in line for one seller . So Sad for the ones that collect the pins .
I know in the past I've gotten angry and said, well I'm doing it too . But in all honesty , I could never do that or even afford to do it .

ummm, you better check again , the sellers are back $235.00 or BO , sold two sets , two sets left after this one sells . thats five people in line for one seller . So Sad for the ones that collect the pins.

I am going to go ahead and voice a different opinion here and I'm sure a lot of people won't like it. If someone buys a pin, whatever they do with it is their choice. If they want to sell it, good for them. You may view it as sad for the ones that collect the pins but another way to view it is that those that choose to sell it makes it available for those not able to even head down and attempt to buy it. There are many pins I have in my own collection that I love and I was only able to get them through eBay because I was not able to travel to where it was released to get it.

By the same logic, you can complain about someone else buying an extra to use as a trader as being sad for those that collect since someone that collects missed out. If someone wants to keep a pin, trade it, sell it, destroy it, whatever, its theirs to do with it what they want.

I still do not think the 5am rule is safe and is going to cause a lot of problems. An orderly line waiting whenever people think they need to show up to buy it is a lot better than a 5am mob.

This is a very difficult issue for Disney. If the edition size is too high, no one wants it. If its too low, more people come out for it. The problem is that they are unable to handle the demand they created. I am not against ending pin releases with these edition sizes if they feel that is best. I do believe that random surprise releases are best as it would not create a mob, no extra security is needed to be hired, when its found out and the word passed along, there will be a steady trickle of people in to buy it and not a massive flood. I think they should just release a flyer showing the pins and edition sizes for whats coming out for the month and not mention any release dates. If they have a pin trading event, go ahead and show the pins and have the date and time but don't release the edition sizes until they go on sale. That would help calm the demand for those just wanting lower edition size pins just to use as traders or to sell.

There is no perfect system. There will always be unhappy people. But they do need to change something to make it more safe and enjoyable experience for everyone.

looks like...as always...there is more to the story... Sum times ppl do just sit back and wait for things to go bad. In this managers mind, there will b a fight or sumthing crazy that will add to his want of no more pins at dsf.. here is the crazy part... its up to us the collectors to not do this stuff or make ppl hate traders in the 1st place.. Funny to see how it all comes back to how ppl act to others. Its not just Cm trouble.. Its not just LE 150 trouble..

The real trouble is... WE live in a time and place were 2 many ppl are out for them selfs. Long past are the days of holding doors open or saying thank you for things. I for one blame the lazy moms and dads that let tv or games raise there kids. If we all took the time to teach our kids right from wrong.... We would have less of this trouble and many other things wrong in the world. Its time to stop saying "just my bad kids " and learn..your bad kids are ur fault...the blame is at home..and can be fixed if we get back to telling kids how to treat others and sum good tuff love ... ;)

ps. sorry for rant and or grammar... if anyone needs help to understand me.. please just ask.. thank you

I agree with you 100% ! ! ! ! !

Maybe it's a good thing I have never been there. I know I live somewhat close but I just never have gone. Why can't people learn that they can just trade for the pin at another time. That is what I did to get my prized pirates pin that has all four skulls from the movies. I bought two pins for the guy just so I can get it. In the end I got it and I didn't even know they had come out with. It is now one of my prized pins along with the stitch shirt that Laz found me.

I can somewhat relate to the manager because people who have to have the pin and will cause problems for people who act civil towards others. That is the reason why I have been burned out on pin trading. I tried trading for the crush woc pin and the guy wanted a stitch pin and we made the trade and I had walked away because it was over and he followed me and started complaining that I had traded him a fake pin and that he wanted his pin back. I figured I might as well cause I didn't want to cause a bigger problem. I had calmly told him that I had bought the pin in tomorrow land and that if he didn't believe me that I would call my fiancé and he would tell the dude that it was real and I could show him the receipt from the store

So because of this situation and a few other problems I am done pin trading for a long time. So I'm not surprised that the manager isn't happy about the release.

I am going to go ahead and voice a different opinion here and I'm sure a lot of people won't like it. If someone buys a pin, whatever they do with it is their choice. If they want to sell it, good for them. You may view it as sad for the ones that collect the pins but another way to view it is that those that choose to sell it makes it available for those not able to even head down and attempt to buy it. There are many pins I have in my own collection that I love and I was only able to get them through eBay because I was not able to travel to where it was released to get it.

I agree :) I look at it this way....time is valuable. Even assuming minimum wage ($8.50 in CA), for 4.5 hours of time (again, assuming these people arrive at 5 am when the line starts), is $38.25. Add that to the cost of the pins + tax ($47.63) + parking ($2) = $87.88 just to "break even." This is not even including the time they spent to drive to the location (let's say an average of 3 hours = $25.50). So far, that brings us up to $113.38.

Obviously, there are people that make more than minimum wage. So, paying a premium for not having to get up really early that morning (or staying awake from the night before), driving, and waiting in line (with some pleasant people; some perhaps not so pleasant) seems to be worthwhile. :hsd:

People may start to be there at 12 midnight. That means they are waiting for 9.5 hours = $80.75.

By the same logic, you can complain about someone else buying an extra to use as a trader as being sad for those that collect since someone that collects missed out. If someone wants to keep a pin, trade it, sell it, destroy it, whatever, its theirs to do with it what they want.

I still do not think the 5am rule is safe and is going to cause a lot of problems. An orderly line waiting whenever people think they need to show up to buy it is a lot better than a 5am mob.

This is a very difficult issue for Disney. If the edition size is too high, no one wants it. If its too low, more people come out for it. The problem is that they are unable to handle the demand they created. I am not against ending pin releases with these edition sizes if they feel that is best. I do believe that random surprise releases are best as it would not create a mob, no extra security is needed to be hired, when its found out and the word passed along, there will be a steady trickle of people in to buy it and not a massive flood. I think they should just release a flyer showing the pins and edition sizes for whats coming out for the month and not mention any release dates. If they have a pin trading event, go ahead and show the pins and have the date and time but don't release the edition sizes until they go on sale. That would help calm the demand for those just wanting lower edition size pins just to use as traders or to sell.

There is no perfect system. There will always be unhappy people. But they do need to change something to make it more safe and enjoyable experience for everyone.

I disagree with this thinking completley, I know people can purchase the pins and bring say their partner but when these ebay sellers have to drag a group of people to get the pins then Im sorry thats a completely different ball game. As you can clearly see the ebay sellers are out to make pure profit and to say its sad for those that dont get the pin due to these types of people then yes it is sad.

I know Ive been saying I need these pins and anyone thats knew me on dizpins and here I DO need these and if not for the fact that people here are trying to get me the set then Id have to relay on the ebay sellers at completely stupid prices, and its made worse for the likes of me when Im in a whole different country let alone the same city as the DSF.

In all fairness people can do with what they want with what they purchase but when your going out of your way to get as much money as you can out of the people who actually want/need this pin, then yes there will be unhappy people and Im hoping the people going for me/themselve do get them over the ebay sellers.

eugh this pin release is giving me a headache now.

I agree :) I look at it this way....time is valuable. Even assuming minimum wage ($8.50 in CA), for 4.5 hours of time (again, assuming these people arrive at 5 am when the line starts), is $38.25. Add that to the cost of the pins + tax ($47.63) + parking ($2) = $87.88 just to "break even." This is not even including the time they spent to drive to the location (let's say an average of 3 hours = $25.50). So far, that brings us up to $113.38.

Obviously, there are people that make more than minimum wage. So, paying a premium for not having to get up really early that morning (or staying awake from the night before), driving, and waiting in line (with some pleasant people; some perhaps not so pleasant) seems to be worthwhile. :hsd:

People may start to be there at 12 midnight. That means they are waiting for 9.5 hours = $80.75.

Minimmun wage is $8.00 :0)

wow we..........unbelievable. In my non-influential opinion, if disney doesn't want all these problems, how bout offering more than a 150LE pin at the store? I know someone said that. Next, honestly this is nothing new. people wait in lines, camp out, get wristbands for years for everything from cabbage patch dolls to greatful dead tkts from sporting events to wedding dresses......so pin collectors don't have a corner on this market. It would almost seem that this whole hobby (sickness) has been slowly cut back on in every way for a few years, maybe they never thought it would go this long and they are wanting an excuse to end pin development? Good luck on the release people, im in jersey so i get nothin.

Having a surprise release would only benefit those in the immediate area. It would be hard for a person from an hour or so away to make a trip at the last moment. What I think they really should do is have the LE number the surprise. IF more people come out for an le150 then if they had 350 of them, they have plenty to go around. OH sure, some people will be upset that the "value" of the pin will be diminished, but I do not care about them.

Even better would be to reveal the pin a year in advance and take orders for it so they can make exactly the amount that will meet demand. That way they could make maximum profit and not have tons sitting around.

The best solution would be Thunderdome.

Even better would be to reveal the pin a year in advance and take orders for it so they can make exactly the amount that will meet demand. That way they could make maximum profit and not have tons sitting around.

My husband's hobby is boardgames. There is a company, GMT Games that has dozens of game ideas. They post them, and when the number of pre-orders reaches 500 they move the game into production and will become available for sale in the next year or so. If you pre-ordered, your CC will be charged when it is ready for sale, but they produce more than 500 so even if you didn't pre-order you will still have an opportunity to purchase it.

But there is still the problem of the pin collectors themselves. Take the UK pins. Last year, UK Disney Store surveyed pin collectors, there was a long thread about it here. Most people said "make smaller edition sizes!" So they listened, and now each release seems to be accompanied with high anxiety, finger pointing and name calling. Until most pin traders decide that they want, at release "enough for everyone who makes an effort to obtain it," Disney will be under pressure to make smaller and smaller edition sizes, because when traders are asked that's what they always say: "smaller edition sizes."

I agree and don't understand why they don't. Glad I live in Fl. otherwise I'd probably be in the craziness that's going to go down.

I probably wouldn't even join in! I'd just stick with online trading if I lived in CA.

All i can say is Wowzers!!!
I can wait for them to be on the Bay for $20.00 each in 6 months. ive heard from more then a few people that they didnt like them cause it said Valentines Day on it. but i dont know i guess we will find out on Sat afternoon if they will keep on releasing pins at DSF.

Basf? And woah, someone actually got trampled to death over a sale? :\

Yeah, I heard it was actually one of the employees who opened the front doors- the rush in trampled her. Not sure, though, that's just what i heard.

I'm sure if you googled it you could find the whole story...it was a few years ago.

I'm going to say one thing in regards to latemetal's post . Tis True you can do what you want with your own pins, make a profit, but don't rake people over burning coals either . These pins are what ? $12.95 - $15.95 each x 4 for the set ? I can see $150.00 , but $235.00 !!! C'mon !!! Once the hype is over they will be down to $20.00 each .
Now, Slowly backs away from this thread .
I just wish you all the best of luck and again be so very careful . Pixiedust ************************

I agree with you tinker (first time I think lol) that $235 is a little steep when the older disneyshopping LE125 6 pin sets re-sell at about $250 max depending on the set as I paid $250 for my stitch guest star set and to me they were worth it but these pins are not worth $235 definitely not at a presale anyway as cant tell what will happen come saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back