• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

GUIDE Patience is a Virtue (Never need a pin that bad!)

I just want to share some advice to all who seek their holy grail or special pin.
I have two stories to tell about having patience. The most recent one is my wanting an average Pin.

Pin 67660: DLR - Piece of Disney History I - Disneyland® Railroad
I have seen this pin on EBay for $100.00 on average and it is the last pin to complete our set.

At a recent PTN there was a person there who wanted a pin that had a value of well over $150.00 for it. I was not going to trade. If I am capable of making a long story short, I had done a trade with a new pinpics friend and asked if they happened to have this pin and they did not.

They did mention that they were going to the trade city event and would keep their eyes open. On the second day they sent me an email that they got one for me. They looked at my traders and the pin they choose was one that my son traded a cutie for on the kid's board. (Granted it was an LE1000) and they accepted this pin.

I honestly thought they probably made a mistake and got me the SS Rustworthy from series 2 but they went out of their way so there is no way I would question it. When it showed up in the mail, It was the right pin and on a perfect backer card.

I almost paid someone $80.00 for this pin.

One more example is my daughter saw a Dalmatian pin she wanted. DSF Dalmatians eating Spaghetti and we found someone who had one. This person looked in my good book (Mostly DSF and Disney Shopping P.I.N.S. stuff) and was like, I like this pin, and this is nice and after saying that about 5 different pins, he said he would take these 5 for it.

Rather than saying what I felt, I said thank you anyways. A week later my daughter had someone want a pin in her book and when she looked at the ladies pins, she saw the DSF pin we were trying to get. She asked what else the lady may want for that pin and she said, "nothing" this is fair. It was pin for pin DSF's.

Moral of the story. Everyone has a different value of their pin. If the TRADED EASY for it, they may trade easy and vice versa. Never need a pin that bad. When the time is right, you will get the pin you want.

Even with super high dollar pins, while one person may want $400.00 for a given rare pin, another seller may only be asking $250.00 for the same pin and maybe even in better condition.

I am sure you have all had similar experiences. My kids refer to some of these people as SHARKS and the worst part is when a SHARK tries to take advantage of a child. My kids are Savvy and will put the SHARK in a bowl!

Thanks for sharing! I also waited to find a cheaper price for one of my grails! Finally someone contacted me about different pins I wanted, only to discover that they had the pin I really wanted for the cheapest price I've seen! It is now reserved for me and once my money is done transferring, my first grail will be mine :)

Part of me is really not looking forward to when I get my current "most wanted," leaving only the super hard to find "grail" pins, because I know I'm going to run into this. But on the same token, I can't wait! Hahah!

Thanks for posting and keeping it in perspective! :3 Words of wisdom.

I really, really need this thread tonight. My grail was once again just out of reach. I've decided to be patient. (It's painful but must be.) Hopefully one day it will find its way into my collection. One day...

funny, this thread started over 2 years or 3 years ago lol
who dug this puppy up?
hey we are all crazy forsure,,,,,i mean really a bunch of grown responsible adults running all over trying to get stinkin disney pins. BUT if you blow alot of money (and your gut screams when its too much so listen) and you get your last grail THEN WHAT? pack up and walk home? Stick to your limits. Dont spend bill or grocery money....you'll get the pin.

I know...it's tough sometimes to just be patient and wait it out...but it does make getting ur grail all that more special. I prefer to trade for pins rather than buy as most of the time I can't afford to buy high priced pins, especially with children to provide for....it's tough as I depend on pins released to be good traders, and this is particularly frustrating as the uk releases have been somewhat of a raffle with only the odd good trader such as the gondola pin!! Is tough but I hope I will get there with my grails one day xxx hope you all do as well xxxx

I really like what you have pointed out to everyone. I try to trade as fair as I can and if I give out a higher valued pin to get one that I want, then I am happy. Some people only look at the value of the pins which takes the fun out of it for me. I know some pins are hard to get but some people try to take advantage of that situation and ask for too much. Having patience is good advice for all of us......thanks.

Sue
:wiggle:

Thanks so much for the well-needed amazing posts today Dan. This is like something that happened to me recently...I contacted someone in regards to a trade and they graciously declined; they than informed me that they would be selling off their pins and I inquired as to which ones. To my surprise many grail pins were being offered. I arranged to purchase them little by little and for great prices! I got the Tangled Marquee and DSF Chair pins for about $250 each! I am so thankful...its still a shock to me lol. I'm waiting to get them in the mail. :)

Thanks for another great thread! The last time I was at DLR, I saw one of my grails -- the Jessica and Roger DSF PTE surprise release pin -- for trade and the trader wanted my Lost Keys of Disneyland! No thank you! So clearly, I passed...and just picked up the PTE for $22!

Sage advice!

If you give it time, eventually it will come to you. Again, every trader has a different value aspect of a pin and you just have to find the right trader. Never giving up is a big part of it. The pins are out there and in time, someone may need to sell their set or just not really like or need it anymore. be optimistic. Even if it goes up it is usually temporary and in time it will come back down or like I said, just finding the right trader can make all the difference.

This is so very helpful. I'm in the process of looking for the Elsa and Arendelle pins, but it seems like everyone is holding on to those for dear life! It could also be because it's relatively new but, now that I've read this and everyone's responses, I know where people are coming from and what to do. Thanks so much for this. Patience truly is a virtue.

Last edited:
I'm so grateful that someone pulled this awesome post out of the past. It is truly very
helpful. Thanks.

I'm guilty of being an emotional bidder. I really have no patience, and I tend to think the worst of a situation when I really want something. "I'll never find this available again - I NEED IT NOW!" Sometimes I will buy something, and then see the price drop the next week, and I smack myself. But there have been times where I make a good purchase and the price goes up, or I never see the item again anywhere online, so it makes up for my bad choices, in my mind.

Personally, I try to make all of my collection purchases with the mindset that I am not in it to make money or an investment. I consider it money "gone" when I get the things that I really want. After all, I'm buying them to enjoy for myself, not to show off or trade-up later.

Still stings when what you want is upwards of $200 for a tiny piece of metal, though!

My trick is to empty my Paypal account. If I want to get money on my account, it takes about six days so I'm always late when I want to buy some overpriced grail. So I end up not buying the grail because my money isn't on my account yet. Bit of a weird trick now that I explain it, but it has helped me save up this week.

I remember bidding for a pin on Ebay once and the price started to get pretty high but I bid anyways and then got out bidded at the last minute, I was really bummed but really didn't want to pay that much anyways for that pin. Wouldn't you know it, a week later the same pin came up again on Ebay and I ended up getting it at less then half the price the other one went for, I was jumping for joy!! :hsd:

My trick is to empty my Paypal account. If I want to get money on my account, it takes about six days so I'm always late when I want to buy some overpriced grail. So I end up not buying the grail because my money isn't on my account yet. Bit of a weird trick now that I explain it, but it has helped me save up this week.

Sounds like a good idea, to me. I always wind up using my debit card, which makes things WAY too easy...

I'm new to pin collecting only actively collecting since oct/nov of last year. I too have learned this lesson as well, and, usually end up kicking myself for not being patient!

I'm the type of person who is inpatient about looking for a grail

I'm still searching for JDS initials series Vixey but I have a story to tell
these pins seem to be worth $150 each
in just 2 weeks I have 6 from the set, 3 which I randomly found on yahoo japan for 10 bucks each o_o.

Back