• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Your Thoughts Needed on Threads/Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Thoughts Needed on Threads/Drama
I also agree to ban the pre-sale threads. The drama takes all the fun out of trading. Yes, I know I don't have to read the threads, but when these threads get over 100 comments, my profile page is filled with nothing but all the drama. There are other ways for out of state people to keep informed of upcoming releases.

I'd like to give my 2¢ if I may.

Personally, I'm not a fan of pre-sales. I think in many cases, it's just borderline stealing as many promises are not followed through on both sides of the sales. I also feel it contributes to the mad rush at DSF and to the recent PODM. Even though I live near DSF, I've never gone to a release, mostly due to my job. I've almost gone recently, but I feel there has definitely risen up a subculture of the Pin Trading Community who feel DSF is there personal domain and unless you are a regular, you shouldn't invade their turf. I do realize that is only a small percentage of the people who regularly go to these things, but some of them are the most vocal on the boards. I do think its a darn shame that most DSF and even WDI pins are sold rather than traded within the pin collecting hobby, but I think that's a whole different discussion.

In regards to drama on the boards, I feel much of it should be allowed to happen, to a certain degree. In any hobby, you have good people, and you have bad people. The only way to find out who the bad people are is by talking about it. I've posted elsewhere that I feel
the recent DSF release really exposed the character of a lot of people. But by not being able to talk about it, the bad behavior can stay hidden from others. But if we don't talk about it and expose what went on, the bad behavior will just continue.​

In my opinion, it should be common knowledge who the resellers are, who the gougers are, who the cliques are and who the truly nice people are. We should know who the good and bad ebay sellers are and who they are on any forum about Pin Trading. If people are doing nothing wrong, they have nothing to be worried about. Bad behavior persists because people know they can get away with it. People can be horrible at a release, but then come on the boards and be anonymous or sell on eBay and people buy from them not knowing the kind of behavior they exhibited to get the pin. Sometimes a public shaming is just what a person needs to change the way they act.

Now I'm not advocating that every personal issue get dragged up on the boards, but when we have releases that get out of hand like the recent DSF release or the Beauty and the Beast PODM, I think it's important to call out those that behaved poorly. How else do we hold each other accountable in this community?

As for closing threads, I think the mods did the right thing when they closed the threads during the last DSF release. Passions were being flamed and there was a clear us vs them mentality going on. By shutting down discussion until after the release, I think it helped cool the situation down. We were then able to post once the release took place. However, I do not agree with the continued closing of threads that is still happening everytime a DSF thread starts. And it nearly is always someone who was at the release who asks for it to be closed. Why? If it was that bad and has such bad memories for you, don't read the thread. But I feel people here have every right to talk about it if they want to. Again, I think many want them closed to conceal the bad behavior. Discussion needs to be allowed to flow freely, within reason (curse words are never acceptable and folks need to remember this is an all ages board so sexual discussion/innuendo of any type should not take place).

For the most part, I've really enjoyed the boards here. I've interacted with some really great people. But I've also had my share of attacks (once for a misunderstood question I had asked that someone took offense to and another time I was called out for apparently sending out bad trade request - but in that last case I had to consider the source - sometime you just can't argue with stupid.) Have had some good experiences with Zaps, both that I've sent and the one I received, and I've had some bad experiences with zaps I've sent (if you get zapped, please at least thank the person who zapped you). Some on the boards are more problematic than they think they are, others are more helpful than anyone ever gives them credit.

The boards can be a lot of fun if we discuss freely, interact with more people outside of those you normally interact with (lets break up some of these cliques, folks), and get back to trading more than selling.

Anyway, just my opinion.

Tried this once but got an infraction and over a year of side-kick idiotic attacks and attempted adult bullying at pin events. Bullies don't like to be called out or they will focus on you and hope you wither away. I don't back down and a few out there don't like me because of it. I speak my mind and it usually ends up upsetting people speak openly about.

I was pretty new on here when I first called someone out for sharky behavior. Most of the online forums I am on, I don't have to actually go see these people. Pin trading I have to go see these people, multiple times a month. I had written off trading with them long ago from my own observation of their tactics, but now they try to spread to everyone else that I'm the bad guy. If you meet me in person and talk to me for 5 minutes you're gonna see I'm just a normal guy that likes pin trading. I don't mind helping new people know where to go, what to expect, etc. I also have NO issues pointing out the people that I have personally seen take advantage of people, take advantage of the system, ask tourists to buy LE pins for them, pay homeless people, people that resell, etc. But I always tell people, they can trade with whomever they want, just watch yourself around some. My opinion is most normal people would appreciate a polite warning. My opinion is also that the manipulators don't like it because that's another potential victim tipped off to their behavior.

So now I'm stuck putting up with childish taunting at pretty much every release. Name calling, finger pointing, laughing, fake punching or kicking in my direction, giggles, actual verbal threats. It's so childish and stupid it's almost comical to see what they will do next. Although, it is very telling when you see people you thought were nice or friendly yet they laugh at the stupid jokes. Or join in on the fun. It is what feeds into the us vs. them mentality, the sellers vs. the traders, the new breed vs. the old, the cool kids club vs. the whomevers. It became painfully obvious that you can't call them out because they are stuck in jr. high and either they, or their slimy friends, or the newbies that latch onto them, have no common sense or moral values. You can't reason with them. Calling them out just gives them a target for their misplaced rage. So I'll continue to be the guy they don't like. I am fine not being their friends. I am fine not bullying people, or taking advantage of new traders, or being rude to CM's, or whatever else they pass off as normal behavior. But learn from me, it's easier just to completely ignore them. That is what they want anyways. They want to just be left to their evil devices to make sure they get more money or a better advantage or take a great pin from a beginner trader who doesn't know what they have.

I don't think DSF belongs to any group. Everyone has the same right and the same chance to go there and buy their stuff. But the nicer people are less and less and continue to just stay away. They stopped dealing with it. Problem is, those nicer people were the ones that actually traded and didn't just hoard pins to sell. DSF is offering pins that are sold WAY under market value and they are attracting attention from people that are desparate enough for money that they may start a fight over it. Most of them don't have pins to trade and they aren't buying the pins to trade, they just want to come and exploit our hobby for the money. So I'm one of the ones standing up for what I believe is right. Others agree but aren't as vocal. But like I said, it's ok with me. We each have our own opinion. I may not agree with yours, but you are entitled to it.

I never ask for threads to be closed. I honestly wish people would stand up for themselves and for others and post how they feel more, but my own experience is probably enough proof that it's more hassle than it's worth. Nice in theory, proved otherwise.

Last edited:
I speak my mind and it usually ends up upsetting the cockroaches I shine my light at.

Name calling, finger pointing, laughing, fake punching or kicking in my direction, giggles, passive-aggressive conversations directed at me with others, ....

See the words in bold? Imo, these 2 statements contradict each other. There is no need to call other people cockroaches even if you do not include names :(

See the words in bold? Imo, these 2 statements contradict each other. There is no need to call other people cockroaches even if you do not include names :(

We each have our own opinion. I may not agree with yours, but you are entitled to it.

Come walk in my shoes at the next release and your tune will change. When someone walks directly up to the person right next to you and mocks you with you standing right there, you'll get a flavor for it. But, being in TX I guess it's easy to point fingers at screennames. If I wasn't threatened with infractions I'd post names, screennames, actual videos, etc. People who don't come could then see for themselves.

But, if you insist, I'll edit it for future generations for when they review the archives.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Story! It means a lot.

Thanks Everybody for the friendly advice

glad to be of a little help! =)

Jenna you are so sweet! I am sure the thread will be a hit! :hug:

Come walk in my shoes at the next release and your tune will change. When someone walks directly up to the person right next to you and mocks you with you standing right there, you'll get a flavor for it. But, being in TX I guess it's easy to point fingers at screennames. If I wasn't threatened with infractions I'd post names, screennames, actual videos, etc. People who don't come could then see for themselves.

But, if you insist, I'll edit it for future generations for when they review the archives.

I think we all know releases can be ugly - heck the example you wrote is something any one of us have to deal with in everyday life. And while its good to stand up for yourself, we don't all have a forum outlet to "call out" the people who wrong us. I'm not saying to just ignore it but I think what Selen was trying to say is the statements were counter productive. You don't have to take the mocking, but nothing will be solved by the animosity being brought to light in a public forum where people can't honestly know what really happened.

Theres no need to act like anyone is trying to just "point fingers" at you. This discussion has been all about trying to resolve some of the drama here.

Last edited:
Theres no need to act like anyone is trying to just "point fingers" at you. This discussion has been all about trying to resolve some of the drama here.

My response was to a suggestion made by nWoJeffDW. I'm trying to say that calling people out doesn't work. It just gets you stuck in a revolving door. Calling them out isn't going to lessen the drama. But people like to skip over the actual value added info and focus only on parts. Hopefully people agree with me that pin trading is on the decline and pin selling is up. The hobby is changing. I don't think for the better, but honestly one guy can't do much. And until more people are vocal enough or stand up enough for the hobby it will just keep spiraling. I had hopes DSF would try to help the situation but they see dollar signs and love the masses. So I think they are a lost cause. Or at least that's my thoughts.

So now I'm stuck putting up with childish taunting at pretty much every release. Name calling, finger pointing, laughing, fake punching or kicking in my direction, giggles, actual verbal threats. It's so childish and stupid it's almost comical to see what they will do next. Although, it is very telling when you see people you thought were nice or friendly yet they laugh at the stupid jokes. Or join in on the fun. It is what feeds into the us vs. them mentality, the sellers vs. the traders, the new breed vs. the old, the cool kids club vs. the whomevers. It became painfully obvious that you can't call them out because they are stuck in jr. high and either they, or their slimy friends, or the newbies that latch onto them, have no common sense or moral values. You can't reason with them. Calling them out just gives them a target for their misplaced rage. So I'll continue to be the guy they don't like. I am fine not being their friends. I am fine not bullying people, or taking advantage of new traders, or being rude to CM's, or whatever else they pass off as normal behavior. But learn from me, it's easier just to completely ignore them. That is what they want anyways. They want to just be left to their evil devices to make sure they get more money or a better advantage or take a great pin from a beginner trader who doesn't know what they have.
Wow. You and I don't always see eye to eye on some stuff, but this is just nuts that people do this. A lot of people don't want to hear the truth about themselves. Shame.

Exactly what has happened to Mark has happened to me, but in my case, it's cyber bullying for my opinion. I just add those to my ignore list and report the post.
As others have said, use ignore list, but you have those that quote said person and it is viewable.
I put all this drama behind me and I'm seriously trying to make amends. Some are accepting, others not, but the bigger person is the one that admits they were wrong and apologizes.

Last edited:
Exactly what has happened to Mark has happened to me, but in my case, it's cyber bullying for my opinion. I just add those to my ignore list and report the post.
As others have said, use ignore list, but you have those that quote said person and it is viewable.
I put all this drama behind me and I'm seriously trying to make amends. Some are accepting, others not, but the bigger person is the one that admits they were wrong and apologizes.

I have 1 person on my ignore list. But many of them aren't regular posters. They are only in the sale forum or not on DPF at all. They just use eBay. But drama does carry between here and in real life at releases. Many that are regular posters have witnessed what I talk about. But they either don't feel compelled to say something, avoid saying something out of fear or apathy, or perhaps see nothing wrong and agree with these people. Either way, everyone has a brain of their own and can say or do what they want. Everything you do or say has a consequence.

DPF drama isn't going to stop because of over-modding or open kimono freedom. Facebook drama is the new hotspot. That was very interesting and telling to see what can happen when people aren't afraid of an infraction. I steer clear of DSF's facebook page. It is telling though when people don't even care that they are laying into someone else, using their real name, that all their facebook friends will see if they go to their profile. That just proves to me that these people care nothing about what anyone thinks of them or their actions. Given a free podium with no threat of infraction and it gets even uglier.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

my name is Prince Eric I treat everyone like Royalty whether on DPF or in person. If you see me at the DLR, feel free to say hello.

That's All.

Love Always,

Prince Eric

...one more suggestion on reducing drama without having to shut down threads: where 1 or 2 members are drama-bombing a thread (either on purpose, or just because a disagreement as erupted), is it possible to block particular member(s) from continuing to post in that thread?

...one more suggestion on reducing drama without having to shut down threads: where 1 or 2 members are drama-bombing a thread (either on purpose, or just because a disagreement as erupted), is it possible to block particular member(s) from continuing to post in that thread?

The only thing you can do is add the ignore feature.

what I was wondering is whether the mods could do it...I'm computer-illiterate, so I have no idea if it's even possible, but I think it would be a great idea

what I was wondering is whether the mods could do it...I'm computer-illiterate, so I have no idea if it's even possible, but I think it would be a great idea

As far as I know (tho I'm not very computer literate so I could be wrong) there isn't a feature like that. Maybe if we report the post when it's clearly off topic and antagonistic, then the mods can just delete the offending post and warn or infract if the situation calls for it. I don't think that would be a case of "overmoderation" if it's simply deleting trolling or borderline trolling, right?

What you can do, is not respond to whatever is offending you. Don't quote it, don't bump it, block whoever said it and the people who insist on rehashing it again and again. You have the power to make things different, if only for yourself.

Carry on. :)

All you have to do is go to that members profile, too the left hand side you will see ignore list, click, it will ask do you want to add said person to ignore list, click yes.
Another way is going to home page forum, click on community, click on members list A to Z, click letter, find name, click on name and do same as stated above.

:rofl: never heard it phrased quite that way before!

My boss uses that term all the time. Open the kimono usually means sharing something you've been hiding. But it would take pure anonymity for many to openly discuss their feelings I think. Anonymity also can create issues when used for attack rather than for open sharing. The 2nd accounts on here have already been mentioned in this thread though.

I just wanted to thank everyone for staying on topic(for the most part...lol)... And even more for not getting upset when the opinion of others do not agree with those of your own...

I feel this has been a very productive thread in getting everyone to put their thoughts on the matter out without any ugliness...

It looks like the majority of the consensus would rather not need the extra regulations and rather continue with the hope that the problem ones will begin to stop the nonsense and I would have to agree... I would much rather have more freedom than regulations if things can get back to how they were before all these recent frustrations reached a climax...

As far as the topic regarding Pre-Sales... That one seems to be all over the board...lol... Many against it and others are ok with it... I myself do not believe in pre-sales, but pre-trades as mentioned before, I have no issues with... I guess this will be a buyer beware issue until it becomes a bigger problem for more members...

Anyway, thanks again for your input and mature discussion of this subject... Have a great day!!!

As far as I know (tho I'm not very computer literate so I could be wrong) there isn't a feature like that. Maybe if we report the post when it's clearly off topic and antagonistic, then the mods can just delete the offending post and warn or infract if the situation calls for it. I don't think that would be a case of "overmoderation" if it's simply deleting trolling or borderline trolling, right?

Great idea, but we run into the fact that these three people are not on here 24/7 to enforce anything like that. People acting drama free either has to be self moderated or remove the whole reason the drama is happening. In most cases it is not "Live from..." posts, those are awesome and Steve does a great job in keeping the world informed of our craziness to sleep in a hollywood alley, rather the "What time are you lining up" posts that cause the most drama.

The only way to keep people from posting is to ban them. Otherwise, user options are to use the ignore button or not read the thread.

I think Grim stated earlier that banning is a last resort and that a person would have to incur multiple infractions to get banned.

The other hope is that people would act like adults and not resort to name calling or veiled threats, but I hold little hope for that. There is a certain amount of bravery when one is behind a keyboard, which is quite odd since this hobby invariably leads to actual face to face meetings.

As for repeated bad behavior by members of the forum, I'm sure that some people take note of this and will refuse to trade or have any dealings with the undesirables. It does end up being a situation where one ends up having to put on a good face and politely refuse to trade or simply never find anything they are willing to trade.

B4524414-FBA7-40FF-8655-E5382598CFEA-5776-0000059CA9C85F68_zps53b7fb1f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back