• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Your Thoughts Needed on Threads/Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
The streets of DPF were empty as I walked along them, on that chilly, wet night. Light drops of rain fell on my tattered trenchcoat. There were things on my mind, things I just couldn't figure out. Why was there so much thievery in this god-forsaken forum? I oughta give these wiseguys a taste of their own medicine, but they deserve much worse.

I spotted a familiar man walking the streets in front of me. My hand went to my hip, feeling the cool handle of my revolver. Walking the streets for a good pin deal was dangerous enough, but with this civil war going on anyone could be as good as banned for life. He was walking slowly, letting his back take the brute force of the quickly escalating rain. I let him think he was alone until I got within 5 feet of him.

"Ain't no mods gonna help you this time kid", I muttered.

o.0

My thoughts on controlling drama (since that is the original topic here):

Banning certain types of threads won't solve the problem of drama, because the type of thread isn't the cause of the drama.

I think if we start saying "no x type of threads because they cause drama", we just cause more headaches for the mods, who now have to police that many more things, without any actual benefit to the forum.

I agree with those who have said that a clear code of conduct as far as behavior that will and won't be tolerated is what's needed. Along with more people clicking "report" on the offending posts, and fewer people piling on and replying once a problem has started. (I think that includes the "eating popcorn" gifs and the like.)

If people think pre-sales are a bad idea for other reasons, that should be discussed, but I think it's a separate issue. Banning pre-sales will have absolutely zero effect on drama.

If presales are banned should want threads for unreleased pins also be banned?
Although I don't agree with pre-trading either, it is far less worrisome than pre-selling. At least in a pre-trade each party will hopefully wait until the pins are in hand. I firmly state I will not bid against a DPF auction for pins that have not been released yet. Pre-trading isn't as bad though. I don't do it, but I don't mind people that do. I think most people are trying to gauge if it's worth their time if they can get a grail pin in trade or not. This hobby is centered on trading though, that is what we should do. The generational issue of "I want it now" isnt' going away and there will always be people trying to get what they want faster and not have patience.

Awww, why? I love it! It's a gorgeous pic!

And randomly, it's totally not trolling when it's creative and so very well-written. Oops, my love of Noir is showing...

It may not be trolling anymore, but in his 'early days' he was making a few members (or at least one that I know of for sure) very uncomfortable as he seemed to stalk her posts.

Hopefully that's all done with though. I do love his creative writing, but not when its at the expense of others.

Last edited:
I personally don't usually have a problem with Noir, but when he starts writing about having/using a gun on another pin trader, I do see red warning bells.

Frightened by my presence, the man quickly whipped his head around. It was Detective Johnson.

"What are you doing around these parts Johnson? This is my district", I said sternly.

"I heard you could use a little help down here. This place has gone down hill since you arrived, and people are starting to talk.", said Johnson.

What does he know? I oughta hit him right in the kisser for saying something like that. But thats Johnson... I weighed my options. I leaned against the cracked wall and took a cig from my pocket. This was the only thing stopping me from giving him a little chin music. I could hardly keep my zippo lit, as the rain continued to pour.

"I know why you are really here Johnson", I said. "It's not for me is it?"

Okay... just throwing this out here.
I am a part of a few other forums. One of the largest I am a part of is called Den of Angels, its a doll forum for Asian Ball Jointed dolls. The forum has over 30,000 members, not sure how many are active, but its a lot. The moderation is INSANELY intense. I almost got banned within my first few posts there, for not knowing one of the rules which was vaguely written. Safe to say, this forum is NOT a friendly or welcoming place to go. The moderation has literally made me afraid to visit the website, for fear of being banned, ridiculed, or spoken of in ill nature if I ever was made to leave.

We do NOT want this to happen to DPF.

Instead of policing every post/person to the highest degree, I think perhaps there just need to be a simple clarification of the rules and policies that are being so heavily enforced lately.

Examples:
-What constitutes bannings and infractions...MANY infractions seem to be going out lately, for a very wide array of reasons, with seemingly no repeating pattern. It seems to me that infractions can be given out at any time for anything as of late. At the same time, some members have been harassing and threatening other members through PM, trying to take people's money, and yet they are still allowed to post, with NO infractions? Seems a bit fuzzy and confusing to me. I think if these rules would be cleared up, this would also prevent from drama-ridden posts littering release threads and the like.
-Pre-Sales need to be more regulated. I do not think that pre-sales should be allowed to be sent as gift payments. It is just too dangerous for the buyers, and some sellers "can't" accept any other form of payment. Some of these sellers are REALLY new to the forum, too, and only show up for new releases. Its a little suspicious. Sure, we all have our friends that we trust, but the newer members at least should have to have some amount of posts or time spent on the forum before they can host pre-orders or co-ops (complicated transactions that can have many problems).

I can think of more but I have to go do homework right now...hopefully what I wrote makes sense :D

Basically, I really love DPF and its warm, home-like atmosphere. While protecting our members is top priority, I would hate to see it become the cold, heartless type of forum that Den of Angels is...hopefully I'm not alone in this thinking!

Okay... just throwing this out here.
I am a part of a few other forums. One of the largest I am a part of is called Den of Angels, its a doll forum for Asian Ball Jointed dolls. The forum has over 30,000 members, not sure how many are active, but its a lot. The moderation is INSANELY intense. I almost got banned within my first few posts there, for not knowing one of the rules which was vaguely written. Safe to say, this forum is NOT a friendly or welcoming place to go. The moderation has literally made me afraid to visit the website, for fear of being banned, ridiculed, or spoken of in ill nature if I ever was made to leave.

We do NOT want this to happen to DPF.

Instead of policing every post/person to the highest degree, I think perhaps there just need to be a simple clarification of the rules and policies that are being so heavily enforced lately.

Examples:
-What constitutes bannings and infractions...MANY infractions seem to be going out lately, for a very wide array of reasons, with seemingly no repeating pattern. It seems to me that infractions can be given out at any time for anything as of late. At the same time, some members have been harassing and threatening other members through PM, trying to take people's money, and yet they are still allowed to post, with NO infractions? Seems a bit fuzzy and confusing to me. I think if these rules would be cleared up, this would also prevent from drama-ridden posts littering release threads and the like.
-Pre-Sales need to be more regulated. I do not think that pre-sales should be allowed to be sent as gift payments. It is just too dangerous for the buyers, and some sellers "can't" accept any other form of payment. Some of these sellers are REALLY new to the forum, too, and only show up for new releases. Its a little suspicious. Sure, we all have our friends that we trust, but the newer members at least should have to have some amount of posts or time spent on the forum before they can host pre-orders or co-ops (complicated transactions that can have many problems).

I can think of more but I have to go do homework right now...hopefully what I wrote makes sense :D

Basically, I really love DPF and its warm, home-like atmosphere. While protecting our members is top priority, I would hate to see it become the cold, heartless type of forum that Den of Angels is...hopefully I'm not alone in this thinking!

+1000000000000

I just saw this thread and only elected to read the first page and a half before deciding to post so if my posting is "out of date" with this thread I apologize in advance. I am not one to do a pre-sale because I am out of town so to even get to the park is quite an expense for me. I did do one once. It was for a very low edition framed set in which someone bought from me. Yes there was a mark up and yes he was happy to pay it. The price was pretty high for the framed set to begin with so without a pre-sale I would not have been able to afford it. Pre-sales do have a place for those that are not in town or those that can not take the time to stand in line to get the pins. Personally I do nto have a problem with it. My suggestion would be if you don't like them don't purchase them and they will go away. Pre-sales can only happen if someone purchases them.

Drama is what drama is. Drama is common on web based sites mostly because you can not read voice fluctuations. You read what you want to read. In other words you interpret what is in print how you choose to interpret it. Now I have seen some postings that were just meant to be rude period and there really was no other way to interpret it but many times there are. I am a very up front person. I tend to say exactly what I mean. I do not put "hidden meanings" into things and have often been misinterpreted because someone has chosen to read more into what I have said instead of just taking me at face value. Admittedly, this has not happened on this site to my knowledge but it has happened on other sites. The thing is anyone can say anything in two different ways and be taken in two entirely different ways. For example I If I said this is a great day and was really enthusiastic about it you would think... I am having a perfect day! If you heard the same thing dripping in sarcasm you would think I was having a really crappy day. In a web based group you can not hear that. You are going to take what is said how you take it regardless of how it was meant. Then instead of making sure you take things correctly people get "bothered" and simply reply to what they think was meant. What I see is mostly this type of drama more than anything else. If we all would just refrain from making that retort of a comment "drama" as everyone puts it would only be one comment long. To me drama takes several comments not one comment. So instead of thinking of how we can micromanage the site why don't we all work on micromanaging ourselves and never make that second statement. If someone makes a comment you feel is off color just ignore it. You will be surprised how quickly they will stop when no one else will play along. Those that are out to disrupt need company to make it work. To me that is the best way to handle it if you truly want a drama free zone. JMO

drama is what drama is. Drama is common on web based sites mostly because you can not read voice fluctuations. You read what you want to read. In other words you interpret what is in print how you choose to interpret it. Now i have seen some postings that were just meant to be rude period and there really was no other way to interpret it but many times there are. I am a very up front person. I tend to say exactly what i mean. I do not put "hidden meanings" into things and have often been misinterpreted because someone has chosen to read more into what i have said instead of just taking me at face value. Admittedly, this has not happened on this site to my knowledge but it has happened on other sites. The thing is anyone can say anything in two different ways and be taken in two entirely different ways. For example i if i said this is a great day and was really enthusiastic about it you would think... I am having a perfect day! If you heard the same thing dripping in sarcasm you would think i was having a really crappy day. In a web based group you can not hear that. You are going to take what is said how you take it regardless of how it was meant. Then instead of making sure you take things correctly people get "bothered" and simply reply to what they think was meant. What i see is mostly this type of drama more than anything else. If we all would just refrain from making that retort of a comment "drama" as everyone puts it would only be one comment long. To me drama takes several comments not one comment. So instead of thinking of how we can micromanage the site why don't we all work on micromanaging ourselves and never make that second statement. If someone makes a comment you feel is off color just ignore it. You will be surprised how quickly they will stop when no one else will play along. Those that are out to disrupt need company to make it work. To me that is the best way to handle it if you truly want a drama free zone. Jmo

+ one billion

I would first like to say. I apologize if any of my comments on the dpf thread seemd spiteful, or mean. I realize my attempts at being "funny" probably were not. Some, or most probably have no idea of what I am talking about. But I did feel the need to say it.

Now on to the topic on hand. I don't think you will solve any problems by banning threads. I have been on several message boards. I use to scrapbook big time. If you think any thing here is bad. You need to go a board that is mostly women. It can be vicious and you have never seen drama. If they can edit posts personally I think that is a better choice. If you try to moderate too much people are just going to talk about the topics on facebook or start up a spin off board and that gets really ugly.

I think the biggest difference here then anywhere I have been before is people actually get to no each other. We engage with each other trading, give each other personal information ect... It's more of a community and when there is dischord it is more hurtful. But I dont think over moderation is that answer. I think it will cause more problems honestly.

As far as presales go. I think your going to find that after this last release. The problem is probably going to take care of itself. I for one would not gift anyone my money when you have no control over what DSF or Disney is going to do. I think most people will make decisions for themselves. If anything ban gifting the money. I hate to see the few pretraders who do help people out or sell at a reasonable cost not be available to those of us that can't get these pins any other way. I also think if it goes to just who ever asks for it. It's going to turn into to ever has the most friends or knows how to beg the best.

- Stop paying as a "gift" if you don't already know and trust the person, unless you just don't happen to care if you lose all your money.
- Stop fighting people on the internet. You know, there are plenty of people who just read but don't participate. The things I've learned about people here from reading these forums...
- Assign more moderators. Simple. I read just about every thread that is updated on this forum, every single day. I know there are many other people who do the same. I am positive sane, trustworthy, level-headed people who don't participate in drama and read this forum multiple times every day can be found to moderate.

There is no need to ban any type of thread.

The streets of DPF were empty as I walked along them, on that chilly, wet night. Light drops of rain fell on my tattered trenchcoat. There were things on my mind, things I just couldn't figure out. Why was there so much thievery in this god-forsaken forum? I oughta give these wiseguys a taste of their own medicine, but they deserve much worse.

I spotted a familiar man walking the streets in front of me. My hand went to my hip, feeling the cool handle of my revolver. Walking the streets for a good pin deal was dangerous enough, but with this civil war going on anyone could be as good as banned for life. He was walking slowly, letting his back take the brute force of the quickly escalating rain. I let him think he was alone until I got within 5 feet of him.

"Ain't no mods gonna help you this time kid", I muttered.

If this thread accomplishes nothing at least it brought my dear foe Disney Noir out of the shadows... Glad to see you still have that poetic justic about you... I have missed your witty post...

First and foremost, DPF was founded on the principle, and continues to strive to be a place where people can freely discuss anything and everything pins, without the fear of over-moderation and being banned on the spot. Pretty much the only way to get a thread closed/deleted is for personal attacks, *insane* drama, or outright ignorance of the rules. Many of us came from the heavily over-moderated DizPins, and this site was created to completely avoid that. I think many if you can agree that I enjoy my time here much more than I did on Diz. I was afraid to post, for fear that my thread would just disappear with no notice, and no reason.

Furthermore, I think the intent of wanting to ban pre-sale threads and "Live from..." threads is very small minded of what appears to be mostly Californians. Many people out of state and out of country rely on these to get pins that would be out of reach, or to get reliable information about what is going on with a releasing. When I posted the first "Live from..." thread (the Alice in Disneyland event), there were people watching the thread constantly from all over the globe, including Africa! This is a discussion forum for the use of discussing and sharing pin related stories, experiences, and information. Being in a commodity based hobby, most of the information we seek centers around pin releases. Without informative posts about upcoming releases, and current goings-on, we would practically be useless.

1) I like the pre-sell threads. Gives me a chance to get some pins since I am out of state. Just this last release, some sellers didn't get the sets I wanted and promptly refunded my money. I do agree that if you have an issue with pricing/delivery/etc that should be discussed in chat.

2) I also like the discussion of what is upcoming. Yes there is going to be argument and such, but guess what? We all have different opinions and those are going to be seen.

This is a forum and not a dictatorship and I don't think any type of "Thread" should be banned just because drama might happen. IF you see a thread that someone posted that you know causes "Drama" just skip over it and don't read it.

All of this.

Think of it like this "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"
well, "Treads don't start drama, people start drama"

No matter what the subject of the thread is, there WILL be drama.
Us as humans, feel the need to state our own opinions, and our thoughts.

Banning "pre-sales", 'live from", "new release", "what time" threads will not do anything.

:angel:

So much of this.

I agree but I feel that rather than peanalise everyone and take away useful threads such as releases, we should moderate ourselves and take responsibility for what we choose to type and think about if what we are saying would hurt somebody and if infact we need to post it at all :) I think we create the drama, not the thread title.

Preach!

As an out-of-stater, I depend on the release threads for accurate information.

Better believe it.

I have spoken to mods about this in chat and they're working to delete offending comments in the future instead of closing the entire thread. I think that is fair as this is a pin forum and pin release threads and discussion should be encouraged and not shut down just because of a few people.

Another topic that has come up in the chat room has been better enforcement of infractions. The mods try their best but they can't catch every curse word, personal attack, threat, etc. The best thing to do when you see something like that, be it against yourself or a friend, is to click the report button. That should be the first thing you do before you post a comeback, try to defend your friend, or anything else that just adds to the drama.

We are working on these, and they are very true! Wise words!

But if there are clear rules, clear punishments, clear and regular enforcement, people WILL get the idea and clean up their act on their own. But that can't come from the community it has to come from the mods/admins.

As man have noticed, there has been a lot more enforcement of the rules, and infractions lately. In addition, a new "Drama" infraction has been created to help police those who just seek out the drama, but are not actually breaking any rules. We are currently in the process of adding to our moderating team, but do not want to build a huge group too quickly. If possible, over moderation needs to be avoided in order to encourage the free speech we like to see. ('Merica!) But we are buckling down the hatches. We might look into something to help make the rules a little more clear, but for certain we will *never* publicly shame someone by pointing out when/where/how an infraction or ban was made. It also important to note that while infractions are a private matter between the DPF staff, and the member in question, it does take SEVERAL infractions for a ban to happen. Which means two things: 1) A ban will occur because of several isolated incidents, not necessarily because of one situation. 2) Just because someone is not on a ban, does not mean they haven't received infractions.

The idea of a rants/venting board is still something we can consider. Would it actually allow drama to fester, encourage it? I dunno- but if people keep going off anyway, at least it will be contained to one area so others don't have to see it...

An idea like this is currently in the works. Please stay tuned for an announcement.

In closing... we try to moderate these forums as BEST as we can, and yes it is difficult. Especially, when we are not at our computers 24 hours a day. We have lives, and (I know... shocking) we are not paid to do this. This is not a full time job for us, and is a HOBBY for us... we must be masochistic. We will be adding to our moderating team shortly, but we fear over moderation of the site, as we like that people are free to make their opinions. We are not able to read *every* post ever made. Reporting a post is very beneficial to us, and helps us be a better place. Want to help the forums more? Help report posts when you see something is wrong.

I'm always here to help, and am a very straight to the point and honest person. If you ever have a question about a rule, or why something happens on the forums, please ask! Shoot me a PM, or catch me in chat. I'm always glad to chat, and I even know that I'm not always 100% correct. I appreciate constructive feedback. But, you should never feel embarrassed about asking a question, or seeing why something happened. I can't answer questions about individual member's infractions/bans, but pretty much everything else is free game. Ask me a question straight up, point blank, and I will give you an honest answer. We've got nothing to hide!!!

Sorry... a bit wordy, but I hope that helps...

Grim, thank you so much for addressing everything. I think most of us knew you guys were simply away from online today and that everything would be handled swiftly once you guys got back.

Furthermore, I think the intent of wanting to ban pre-sale threads and "Live from..." threads is very small minded of what appears to be mostly Californians. Many people out of state and out of country rely on these to get pins that would be out of reach, or to get reliable information about what is going on with a releasing. When I posted the first"Live from..." thread (the Alice in Disneyland event), there were people watching the thread constantly from all over the globe, including Africa! This is a discussion forum for the use of discussing and sharing pin related stories, experiences, and information. Being in a commodity based hobby, most of the information we seek centers around pin releases. Without informative posts about upcoming releases, and current goings-on, we would practically be useless.

I definitely agree that the coverage of events is really fun to read along with. I always enjoyed when TheOtherSteve would share his reports (and while I wasn't around when the alice event took place, I enjoyed reading up on it later on).

What disappoints me most with releases (particularly DSF ones) is that we see less and less of actual coverage/experiences/reports and more and more of drama and slight jabs at other members that most of us don't even understand. It just makes the threads a joke and doomed to be closed at some point.

I know that obviously resolving this issue mainly lies with members just needing to learn to be respectful and helpful, but is it possible for posts in those threads that are absolutely irrelevant to the release in an antagonizing way to be moderated (or for us members to report them to assist in that manner)? It would just be awesome if event coverage threads stuck to reporting the event and didn't get into the tit for tat that has been happening so often lately.

In closing... we try to moderate these forums as BEST as we can, and yes it is difficult. Especially, when we are not at our computers 24 hours a day. We have lives, and (I know... shocking) we are not paid to do this. This is not a full time job for us, and is a HOBBY for us

THIS should never go unnoticed.

Last edited:
This is just a suggestion if anyone wants to try it. But maybe instead of 100 people posting pre sale threads, perhaps make one and everyone who is planning on pre-selling can post there? Then people can freely PM them?

Like post A is the opening saying what pins are being presold.

Everyone who will be pre selling the pins then can post a contact info in that thread. But no prices posted?

Just a suggestion.

Grim, you nailed it. Since Disney has taken away Disney Auctions, Shopping and now it seems the only LE pins that Disney Store online has are sets. Us on the other side do rely on help to get decent traders.
Look guys, I can't take back what I've said in the past, I was an idiot, but I have certainly learned that drama or mean comments is not the way to make friends. Sometimes as Rocke stated, my words or intentions were interpreted the wrong way. Sometimes I thought I was helping only to be attacked and with that I fought back. Where was my upbringing, I went from 57 to 7 in 2.5 seconds.
Now back to the question at hand, pre selling is not bad as long as you are sure of what pins are released, you trust the person or know them well enough to send payment as gift and you don't spend the money until the pins are in the palm of your hand. That's my view! Thanks for reading.

+1 drama sucks.

However... killing discussions about upcoming releases kind of kills what the community is... We are a Pin forum, not being permitted to discuss upcoming releases would make the forum kind of pointless, in my opinion. Yeah, people get dumb, and people speak in the heat of the moment *I have done it too* but in any community it will happen no matter what topics are permitted.

I can see both sides of killing presale threads. Big hype releases, like le300 DSF pins, it might be a good idea to stay away from. But larger edition releases, like the le1000 pins that come out at the parks regularly? chances are the person can get them, no problem.

Proposal: ALL sales threads the payment must be recieved as goods payment, and refunded within 72 hours of release if the pins are not recieved. REFUNDED, not sent back to buyer as goods, not forgotten, not send via check in the mail.... And if the seller does not promptly refund, then they should receive infractions, and/or ban status, AND be forbidden use of the sales/trade/auction forum if a repeat offender. It will only take a couple people getting into trouble for the sales forum to clean up totally.

I offer presale on all the Easier DLR releases now. I tell folks they can pay as goods, and I promise a refund quickly. The reason I suggest 72 hours for refund is because some paypal balances are not immidiately available. I currently use the money people are paying me to buy the pins they ask for, but via my bank account. I have to transfer funds. Once i have my paypal card it wont be an issue at all. Refunds would be able to be given within 24 hours.

PS:
words that make threads go boom <<~ click the link

and P.P.S.
Babcock_ice_creamFINAL_525.jpg

Preselling: Keep in mind please that I live in FL, and while close to WDW, we are miles away from DLR, DSF, WDI, etc. I recently was able to obtain two of the three Jessica pins (not counting the surprise release in this as it wasn't listed originally) through a presale from a member here on the forum. Due to past history with pre-sellers, I was really hesitant to send any money first, but due to the pins being for hubby. . . yeah, well, you can imagine what happened there with that "rule". The seller actually told me to wait until after the release that day to send money, and did not give me ANY paypal information until he confirmed he had the pins in hand. To be bluntly honest, in my opinion, this is how presales SHOULD be - every time. He took my name and "reserved" the pins for me. From now on, if I do buy any presales, this may be my standard request (no $$ sent until pins are in hand).

Drama-llamas that seem to have been running around rampant lately, nibbling at most threads they see: Most of my opinions on this matter have been stated before. Self control is key, report button usage is key, respect is key. We're all human, we all make mistakes, we all are capable of forgiving and moving on, and turning the other cheek. Maybe a rant section is needed, maybe not. Maybe we need to grow up, maybe not. Maybe we need to remember - it's just pins, maybe to some though it's more. There are a lot of maybe's, yes - but one thing is certain - folks, it takes two (or more) people for drama to start. Just breathe, laugh, and live.

Release Threads: I personally love reading these, especially when I can't attend the release myself. To be able to live it vicariously, to gain knowledge about the pins I may not have had without them, is a wonderful thing. They've helped me in the past to find pins day of release due to people posting when certain locations were sold out throughout the park. Yes, they may incite some, but if they incite some people, who's to say those people weren't already incited by just the thought of the release or the new pins? IDK. . so long as the threads remain true to the subject matter, I don't know if they are such a bad thing after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back