• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Your Thoughts Needed on Threads/Drama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Thoughts Needed on Threads/Drama
yOU ARE right my fellow princess i rather see hot sexy pins and hot pieces of meat.

how_to_cook_a_steak_on_a_grill.jpg

There ya go Eric!!!!

i feel like we don't have a right to force pre-sellers to stop sales on the forum, what are we like what .10% of pin sales? it won't fix anything we should just learn to just say no. its like SF they took happy meals toys away from all the kids because a few are fat. why punish everyone its not fair to everyone.

The forum owner/mods have the right to do whateve they want. They can even post your PM's in the open if they chose to. What you do here you accepted as their domain. They can certainly ban presales or ban paypal as gift. Which many other forums I am on have already done. Other forums I am on, not pin related, would not allow presales, paypal as gift, multiple sale threads at one time, bumping your own thread, not deletign your old thread, or offering more than a certain number of items. DPF does have it right that you have to post a price. That at least is good. They also make you have so many posts, that is good and weeds out the trolls, like the wreck-it guy a few weeks ago.

You may be the .10% that presells at a reasonable price and is trustworthy. But many are not and the sale forum just draws the people here as another avenue to sell and not have to pay eBay. eBay can afford all the checks and security to weed out trolls. They also protect buyers, sometimes annoyingly. But DPF can't police it all. DPF should help protect its members with better rules (which should include no paypal as gift at a minimum.) We don't need to attract those people, they are the ones that cause the drama. They don't get pin trading, they don't care about pin trading. They just want to sell and flip for money.

I like what I read earlier about only paying when goods are in hands of pre-sellers as a way of dealing with the rising amounts of people doing it. I did one pre-sale during the jessica release and one trade both for out of state people only. On the pre-sale i did not give out paypal info until pins were in hand. If people continue to buy from pre-sellers, then this is how it should be done. Buyers should insist on it as a whole. That is their only form of protection right now in this forum.

But then sometimes the release isn't as popular as expected so you have people backing out leaving the person who bought them with pins that they paid for out of pocket. This has happened to me before and I was picking the pins up at cost.

I agree that presale threads make little sense. I dont understand how they help people from out of town. Its not like there won't be people with sales threads that actually have the pin in hand once they are released. Like many have said, its just a free loan to the preseller. Leave the presales to ebay... at least that way the buyers are covered. Like Mark said, the sellers here are just avoiding ebays fees. And why anyone would purchase via paypal as a gift is beyond me. The only reason that makes sense is if someone is selling something at cost or near to cost. There is enough profit in the DSF pins for the sellers to eat the paypal fee. Its greed. Its like the sellers on ebay that have a pin up for $2000 and charge shipping.

I do like the live at threads though. It helps me decide if I REALLY want that pin after all. It helps notify of surprise pins. Also after the line clears its helpful for whats left.

More than likely, a preseller on here is just trying to make more money by avoiding eBay fees. Just because they are on this forum doesn't mean they are above eBay. Most probably have them listed in both places and just hope they sell here. Often they list the same price and hope someone, maybe you, will just pay them and they can save their 10%. Presellers are trying to get more money and get ahead of the game. They know if everyone waits until the pins are in hand that the prices drop quickly as people are trying to sell theirs first to get their money. Pins lately have sold high, then drop pretty quick after release, and then slowly rise. It's your money, do as you wish. But take a step outside yourself for a minute and see the macroeconomics of the situation. You'll save money and create less hype.

The first pin I remember that were presold and created tons of hype was the Brave marquee. Selling for $85-$90 a few weeks before release. It was the first new Pixar film (not a sequel) since Up and the first Pixar Princess ever and first princess since Tangled which we all know was and is super hot. I'm sure you can find the threads about those presales. I know preselling is older than that, pretrading even older. But the rampant preselling level we see now is newer. Brave was an opportunity for newer traders to be completionists for a movie/princess/genre. Many of you are or aspire to be. But that release was turned up a notch thanks to the buzz generated by the $85 marquee sales before the release. Presales create hype. They make people fearful if they don't go super early they can't get their pins because they would be priced out of their range. They draw attention to greedy profiteers. They create unfomfortable situations of waiting and anxiety. Just say "No" to presales!!

I'd sign your pledge!

Wrong! I have never sold a pin

But then sometimes the release isn't as popular as expected so you have people backing out leaving the person who bought them with pins that they paid for out of pocket. This has happened to me before and I was picking the pins up at cost.

Another valid arguement as to why not have pre-sales at all here!! there is also the option of bad feedback!

Hmmmm...I'm kind of mixed honestly about both topics. I, personally, love announcement threads to see what the upcoming DSF or WDI pins will be BUT those threads are usually filled with drama. However, I still love people to openly discuss the pins, I wish there was a happy medium, but we there isn't. As for the "Live From" threads by TheOtherSteve, I love them, not because of the drama, but because I am no where near DSF I like to live vicariously through the updates (jk but I do love to read all about it). If a thread could be made that ONLY TheOtherSteve could post it to update us, I'd be fine with that as well since I'm really only reading those to see what is happening across the nation ;)

As for the pre-sale threads, I agree, get rid of them. HOWEVER, getting rid of the threads would only promote people PM'ing sales and different prices to different people for their pre-sales. At this point in time, it is pretty well known among us who collects what and who wants what, whether that be by signatures or just by "Wanted" threads so pre-selling really can't be prevented.

I think the most important thing people can do is to report the post for the time being until we can really figure out how to solve this problem >_< I do think eliminating some threads at high risk for drama is a step in the right direction though!

I agree people shouldn't be stuck with pins that they picked up for someone. That's why I would suggest (I think I said it here already but it's probably buried) for pre-sellers to only collect the "at cost" price of the pin beforehand and arrange for them to pay the "finder's fee" (with lack of a better term) after the pins are in hand- a specified amount on the release date once the pins are confirmed to have been picked up.

Again, just a suggestion in case pre-sales aren't banned. It protects the seller from being stuck with the initial cost, and doesn't make the buyer invest all their money in a preseller that may end up coming out empty handed.

The forum owner/mods have the right to do whateve they want. They can even post your PM's in the open if they chose to. What you do here you accepted as their domain. They can certainly ban presales or ban paypal as gift. Which many other forums I am on have already done. Other forums I am on, not pin related, would not allow presales, paypal as gift, multiple sale threads at one time, bumping your own thread, not deletign your old thread, or offering more than a certain number of items. DPF does have it right that you have to post a price. That at least is good. They also make you have so many posts, that is good and weeds out the trolls, like the wreck-it guy a few weeks ago.

You may be the .10% that presells at a reasonable price and is trustworthy. But many are not and the sale forum just draws the people here as another avenue to sell and not have to pay eBay. eBay can afford all the checks and security to weed out trolls. They also protect buyers, sometimes annoyingly. But DPF can't police it all. DPF should help protect its members with better rules (which should include no paypal as gift at a minimum.) We don't need to attract those people, they are the ones that cause the drama. They don't get pin trading, they don't care about pin trading. They just want to sell and flip for money.

you made a good point, but i know of a seller that sold an item and the buyer came to her home to get it then filed a claim saying they never got the item so the seller was screwed. rules need to be put into place and worked till they are decent. but this will take time and i don't know if they would even do it to begin with

Maybe there needs to be a distinction between presales where the seller is making a profit vs those picking up pins at cost as a favor?

I honesty, do not think there is a difference anymore.. there are maybe two or three people who sell the dsf pins at retail+ shipping. :dunno:

I am not complaining about this, just making a point.

From what I've seen of some of the drama in the release threads, there is a lot of personal dislike that bleeds into things. There's a lot of history at these things, and a lot of conflicting personalities when we bring the face-to-face trading into it. So a lot of it seems to bleed in from more than just internet interaction.

I also see a lot of people who think they're funny, and try to either stir it up intentionally, or bomb the threads in an attempt to get it shut down. When people start taunting others with things like gifs and memes (taunting, not using them for fun reactions), then you should handle it the way you handle any troll. Just ignore them. If they're sitting there, excited to see what kind of response they'll get, then nothing will annoy and bore them more than getting nothing.

I know that's counter-intuitive for a lot of people, the need to defend themselves or others strong. But if you know the person is just trolling, then nothing you can say to them will matter anyway, so don't give them what they want.

Other than the obvious trolling, I'm not sure you can completely wipe out drama- it's just a natural human condition. I tend to balk more at being censored. Obviously, stuff needs to be shut down if it gets out of control. But banning types of threads seems a bit much.

The idea of a rants/venting board is still something we can consider. Would it actually allow drama to fester, encourage it? I dunno- but if people keep going off anyway, at least it will be contained to one area so others don't have to see it...

Well this thread is about to get out of hand. OK, so dont buy the presales. Now everyone who cant get the pins WILL RUSH LIKE MAD the say they come out to FIND someone selling them. Prices will go up even more. Just like when DSF did 1 set per person. Set was selling 280-300.. No echanted is doing 200+ ALONE. Also, not everyone presales to have the cash the buy the pins. I presale my extra set on some of the more crazier pins and I have also sold sets AT COST and I dont presale to use the cash. 100% of the time at least on my part the cash sits on paypal just in case something happens with the release.

Im all for allowing all of the stuff to continue. It shouldn't matter so what if it create problems . I just hope in the long run soda fountain doesn't have anything eles happen like a riot or knifes pulled out at people in line. This past weekend I was gone to be jumped and few release before a homeless came in the morning a pulled a knife on me. all this needs to stop. continue with the presale sale thread and post about releases at wdi, dlr/ wdw. all should be known. this called freedom of speech and also we should allowed to say what else we like maybe instead of pins.

you just need to stop... YOU PUSHED A GIRL...

From what I've seen of some of the drama in the release threads, there is a lot of personal dislike that bleeds into things. There's a lot of history at these things, and a lot of conflicting personalities when we bring the face-to-face trading into it. So a lot of it seems to bleed in from more than just internet interaction.

I also see a lot of people who think they're funny, and try to either stir it up intentionally, or bomb the threads in an attempt to get it shut down. When people start taunting others with things like gifs and memes (taunting, not using them for fun reactions), then you should handle it the way you handle any troll. Just ignore them. If they're sitting there, excited to see what kind of response they'll get, then nothing will annoy and bore them more than getting nothing.

I know that's counter-intuitive for a lot of people, the need to defend themselves or others strong. But if you know the person is just trolling, then nothing you can say to them will matter anyway, so don't give them what they want.

Other than the obvious trolling, I'm not sure you can completely wipe out drama- it's just a natural human condition. I tend to balk more at being censored. Obviously, stuff needs to be shut down if it gets out of control. But banning types of threads seems a bit much.

The idea of a rants/venting board is still something we can consider. Would it actually allow drama to fester, encourage it? I dunno- but if people keep going off anyway, at least it will be contained to one area so others don't have to see it...

I also definitely get the impression that a lot of what happens outside of the forum seems to filter into the forum. There have been so many slights towards people and comments that seem to come out of nowhere all of a sudden, and I don't know about anyone else who isn't directly involved, but it leaves me completely confused and not really knowing what to believe.

+ 1000 regarding trolls though. Report their post and resist the urge to publicly defend yourself or your friends. I have been there and done that as I'm sure many others have and it always put me on the losing side of the matter in the end. If someone is here to make trouble, they will get themselves in enough trouble all on their own without having to take you down with them.

The streets of DPF were empty as I walked along them, on that chilly, wet night. Light drops of rain fell on my tattered trenchcoat. There were things on my mind, things I just couldn't figure out. Why was there so much thievery in this god-forsaken forum? I oughta give these wiseguys a taste of their own medicine, but they deserve much worse.

I spotted a familiar man walking the streets in front of me. My hand went to my hip, feeling the cool handle of my revolver. Walking the streets for a good pin deal was dangerous enough, but with this civil war going on anyone could be as good as banned for life. He was walking slowly, letting his back take the brute force of the quickly escalating rain. I let him think he was alone until I got within 5 feet of him.

"Ain't no mods gonna help you this time kid", I muttered.

So personally I think they should stay but maybe be moved onto a sub forum with a higher post count requirement than the regular sales thread.

This might work. Not only a high post count, but maybe a high feedback count as well. I do not like to pay Ebay prices, and sometimes there are some reasonable pre-sales here with people who deliver.

The streets of DPF were empty as I walked along them, on that chilly, wet night. Light drops of rain fell on my tattered trenchcoat. There were things on my mind, things I just couldn't figure out. Why was there so much thievery in this god-forsaken forum? I oughta give these wiseguys a taste of their own medicine, but they deserve much worse.

I spotted a familiar man walking the streets in front of me. My hand went to my hip, feeling the cool handle of my revolver. Walking the streets for a good pin deal was dangerous enough, but with this civil war going on anyone could be as good as banned for life. He was walking slowly, letting his back take the brute force of the quickly escalating rain. I let him think he was alone until I got within 5 feet of him.

"Ain't no mods gonna help you this time kid", I muttered.

:lol: Yeah, I think this is a case of...

3) Second accounts, this just has to stop. Mods should just ban users that do this both the fake account and there real one. In all the IP address if it could be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back